Protect your privacy: Remote access scams are targeting Australian seniors more than ever before

As the world around us becomes increasingly digital, it seems that safety and security concerns are growing right alongside it.

Case in point: A new scam proves that cybercriminals are always searching for new and sneaky ways to take advantage of people.

The growing prevalence of scams is a pressing concern, with individuals aged 65 and over suffering the most substantial losses due to cybercriminal activities.

According to reports, remote access scams are particularly problematic, with reported losses amounting to $229 million in 2022 – placing second only to investment scams.

Furthermore, victims of remote access scams lost an average of $17,328, with the median loss being $5,000. Most of these losses occurred via bank transfer.

But what is a remote access scam? How does it work?

scam1.jpg
The scam targets adults aged 65 and over. Credit: Anna Tarazevich/Pexels

According to Scamwatch, Remote access scams convince their victims that they have internet or computer problems and that the solution is to buy new software.

‘The scammer will phone you and pretend to be a staff member from a large telecommunications or computer company, such as Telstra, the NBN or Microsoft. Alternatively, they may claim to be from a technical support service provider,’ Scamwatch said.

After that, the cybercriminals will say that your device has been sending error messages or that it has a virus. The fraudsters may also mention problems with your internet connection or phone line and say that this is impacting your computer’s performance.

‘The caller will request remote access to your computer to “find out what the problem is”,’ they continued.

Afterwards, the scammer may then try to talk you into purchasing unnecessary software or a service to ‘fix’ the issue. Or they could ask you for your personal details, such as your bank and credit card details.

It is understood that victims may not immediately realise that the scammer has accessed their bank accounts to perform a transfer.

scam2.jpg
According to Scamwatch, victims of remote access scams lost an average of $17,328. Credit: Polina Zimmerman/Pexels

Distressingly enough, these scammers are very convincing as they sound professional and knowledgeable. However, they tend to be persistent or abusive if you don’t do what they tell you to.

Based on Scamwatch’s findings, the typical victim profile of a remote access scam is a woman aged 65 or over, with many of the victims reportedly residing in New South Wales.

In total, Scamwatch received 11,792 reports about remote access scams in 2022, indicating a 24.9 per cent decrease. However, the losses recorded increased to $21.7 million (36 per cent).

So, how can you protect yourself?

Being proactive is the key to being safe online. Some additional precautions you could adopt include:
  • Being wary of unsolicited calls or emails, as scammers often use this to trick people into giving them remote access to their devices. Don’t trust any unsolicited communication, and never give remote access to anyone unless they have proven their legitimacy as IT professionals or given proof of their identities.
  • Using strong passwords for all of your devices and online accounts. Remember that a strong password should be at least 12 characters long and includes uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters. It’s also best to avoid using the same password on all of your accounts.
  • Clicking on pop-up ads may result in malware being downloaded into your device. Pop-up ads are often used by scammers to gain access to your devices, so be careful of any that may appear.
  • Never give your personal information to anyone. Cybercriminals can be very persuasive, so stay alert and be mindful of the details you’re being asked to provide.
  • Verifying the identity of the person requesting remote access, if possible. If someone calls or sends you an email asking for access to your computer, ask for proof of legitimacy first. Call the company they claim to be from and ask to confirm the person’s identity.
  • Staying informed of the latest scams that’s been making rounds online will help you better protect yourself.

That last point is particularly important since it was revealed that a mum almost became the target of an unsettling scam.

According to reports, scammers called the mother using an unknown number and almost convinced her that they had her daughter and that they'd ‘pump her full of drugs’ and ‘have their way with her’ before dropping her off in another country.

Based on the mum’s statement, the voice she heard on the other end sounded so much like her daughter, leading her to panic.

You can read the rest of the report here.
Key Takeaways

• Individuals aged 65 and over are particularly vulnerable to scams, with remote access scams being a significant concern.
  • Remote access scams have led to reported losses of $229 million in 2022, with victims losing an average of $17,328.
  • Protecting yourself from remote access scams includes being wary of unsolicited calls and emails, using strong passwords, and installing anti-virus and anti-malware software.
  • It's crucial to educate yourself about the latest remote access scams and take proactive measures to protect yourself and your personal information.
Do you have any tips for keeping up with the latest scams and protecting your private information? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Most phones, whether mobile or landline, show the number of the incoming call. My advice is that if you don’t recognise the number, simply don’t answer it. A genuine caller will leave a message.
Agree. 99% of our calls go to voicemail. If no message left it was never important and probably a scammer and view "every" unsolicited text or phone call as a scam. You can always double check by ringing the organisation yourself or check your bank balance yourself if you are told there is a problem.

This particular scam has been around for more than 10 years!

It used to amuse me when they said they were from Telstra because "all service providers in Australia use Telstra" and I used to correct them that my service provider was not (without mentioning who my service provider was).
A couple of times I played along with the idiots, stopping when it got to the point of giving them access to my computer, at which point I would yell "f*** off, f***ing scammers!".

It is such a shame that something like the internet that has so much potential for knowledge and good has to be hijacked by these unscrupulous grubs for their own benefit.

Governments and Police around the world need to work together to catch these people and then throw the book at them and lock them away for the benefit of all society. :mad:

As the world around us becomes increasingly digital, it seems that safety and security concerns are growing right alongside it.

Case in point: A new scam proves that cybercriminals are always searching for new and sneaky ways to take advantage of people.

The growing prevalence of scams is a pressing concern, with individuals aged 65 and over suffering the most substantial losses due to cybercriminal activities.

According to reports, remote access scams are particularly problematic, with reported losses amounting to $229 million in 2022 – placing second only to investment scams.

Furthermore, victims of remote access scams lost an average of $17,328, with the median loss being $5,000. Most of these losses occurred via bank transfer.

View attachment 18820

According to Scamwatch, Remote access scams convince their victims that they have internet or computer problems and that the solution is to buy new software.

‘The scammer will phone you and pretend to be a staff member from a large telecommunications or computer company, such as Telstra, the NBN or Microsoft. Alternatively, they may claim to be from a technical support service provider,’ Scamwatch said.

After that, the cybercriminals will say that your device has been sending error messages or that it has a virus. The fraudsters may also mention problems with your internet connection or phone line and say that this is impacting your computer’s performance.

‘The caller will request remote access to your computer to “find out what the problem is”,’ they continued.

Afterwards, the scammer may then try to talk you into purchasing unnecessary software or a service to ‘fix’ the issue. Or they could ask you for your personal details, such as your bank and credit card details.

It is understood that victims may not immediately realise that the scammer has accessed their bank accounts to perform a transfer.

View attachment 18821
According to Scamwatch, victims of remote access scams lost an average of $17,328. Credit: Polina Zimmerman/Pexels

Distressingly enough, these scammers are very convincing as they sound professional and knowledgeable. However, they tend to be persistent or abusive if you don’t do what they tell you to.

Based on Scamwatch’s findings, the typical victim profile of a remote access scam is a woman aged 65 or over, with many of the victims reportedly residing in New South Wales.

In total, Scamwatch received 11,792 reports about remote access scams in 2022, indicating a 24.9 per cent decrease. However, the losses recorded increased to $21.7 million (36 per cent).

Being proactive is the key to being safe online. Some additional precautions you could adopt include:
  • Being wary of unsolicited calls or emails, as scammers often use this to trick people into giving them remote access to their devices. Don’t trust any unsolicited communication, and never give remote access to anyone unless they have proven their legitimacy as IT professionals or given proof of their identities.
  • Using strong passwords for all of your devices and online accounts. Remember that a strong password should be at least 12 characters long and includes uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters. It’s also best to avoid using the same password on all of your accounts.
  • Clicking on pop-up ads may result in malware being downloaded into your device. Pop-up ads are often used by scammers to gain access to your devices, so be careful of any that may appear.
  • Never give your personal information to anyone. Cybercriminals can be very persuasive, so stay alert and be mindful of the details you’re being asked to provide.
  • Verifying the identity of the person requesting remote access, if possible. If someone calls or sends you an email asking for access to your computer, ask for proof of legitimacy first. Call the company they claim to be from and ask to confirm the person’s identity.
  • Staying informed of the latest scams that’s been making rounds online will help you better protect yourself.

That last point is particularly important since it was revealed that a mum almost became the target of an unsettling scam.

According to reports, scammers called the mother using an unknown number and almost convinced her that they had her daughter and that they'd ‘pump her full of drugs’ and ‘have their way with her’ before dropping her off in another country.

Based on the mum’s statement, the voice she heard on the other end sounded so much like her daughter, leading her to panic.

Key Takeaways

• Individuals aged 65 and over are particularly vulnerable to scams, with remote access scams being a significant concern.
  • Remote access scams have led to reported losses of $229 million in 2022, with victims losing an average of $17,328.
  • Protecting yourself from remote access scams includes being wary of unsolicited calls and emails, using strong passwords, and installing anti-virus and anti-malware software.
  • It's crucial to educate yourself about the latest remote access scams and take proactive measures to protect yourself and your personal information.
Do you have any tips for keeping up with the latest scams and protecting your private information? Share them with us in the comments below!
I have had 2 calls stating that my NBN account was in arrears and needed to be addressed gently, To avoid diconnnection press 1. This is great except I do not have an NBN acount or anything to do with any NBN company. I just laughed very loudly and they hung up

I have had 2 calls stating that my NBN account was in arrears and needed to be addressed gently, To avoid diconnnection press 1. This is great except I do not have an NBN acount or anything to do with any NBN company. I just laughed very loudly and they hung up
I love that one and you can have so much fun wasting their time and making them angry.

I woke to a plethora of scam emails this morning, never seen so many in one day so I am thinking that the trend is for Mondays to be the major scam day. I deleted them all immediately because there were several repeated attempts to frighten me into making contact with them and although I enjoy the challenge I just could not be bothered with them. Mostly they were claims that I had not paid my bills. One (repeated about 4 times) said that my Norton protection program needed renewing. I don't use Norton. Others were that My licence needed renewing, (not for another 2 years idiot). Grammer and spelling were not exactly the best either so they all just got zotted!

Anyone falling for a remote access scam really has been living under a mushroom for the last 10 years! We do need to get with the programme and I don’t see this as any more of a looming threat than crossing the road!
It’s good to keep abreast of new scams and I appreciate that this site does that. BUT when there isn’t a new scam to report, please don’t dig up a 10 year old one as a looming threat! People are stressed enough in this day and age😕

View attachment 18820

View attachment 18821

Key Takeaways

If the number calling is unfamiliar, I let it ring out then check it on Reverse Australia. If it comes up as an unknown number, or pest caller, I block the number and delete it from my phone. I've been getting a lot of calls from various places in Victoria lately, always with the same number, bar the last one, which changes every call.

View attachment 18820

View attachment 18821

Key Takeaways

View attachment 18820

View attachment 18821

Key Takeaways

I was doing a B.C.C. mailout (the only way I know to securely send bulk mail) and while doing so, I noticed that scammers plant their details in our address book!

Thats how the little buggers get in.

I have an ASUS laptop and want to know how to delete them selectively from my address book.

Does anyone know how to do this? If so, please post it, because I reckon that will assist to stop the repeat Spam offenders.

I use a full security protection program including a VPN. That is meant to give very good protection but unfortunately it did not protect me from a mirrored web site. It’sa site set up along side the genuine one and on a search it will either point you randomly at either the genuine or the fake one. I checked everything out and presumed it was all good. Unfortunately I was taken into the fake site and lost my entire savings. Then the police lost the report i submitted so I don’t have a lot of faith in our govt departments.

I was doing a B.C.C. mailout (the only way I know to securely send bulk mail) and while doing so, I noticed that scammers plant their details in our address book!

Thats how the little buggers get in.

I have an ASUS laptop and want to know how to delete them selectively from my address book.

Does anyone know how to do this? If so, please post it, because I reckon that will assist to stop the repeat Spam offenders.
1. To delete an unwanted contact from email address book, roll mouse over person to delete, right mouse click and you should have an option to delete that 1 person.
2. I'd strongly suggest that they got into your address book if you replied to one of their emails, an action like replying auto loads the contact into you address book.
3. I also have loaded a non genuine address into my address book something like [email protected] this stops any scammers from auto sending to everyone in your address book, it will stall at the first address or at least generate a flag to say the fake address has not been successful. This at least makes you aware that something is not right.
Good luck.

1. To delete an unwanted contact from email address book, roll mouse over person to delete, right mouse click and you should have an option to delete that 1 person.
2. I'd strongly suggest that they got into your address book if you replied to one of their emails, an action like replying auto loads the contact into you address book.
3. I also have loaded a non genuine address into my address book something like [email protected] this stops any scammers from auto sending to everyone in your address book, it will stall at the first address or at least generate a flag to say the fake address has not been successful. This at least makes you aware that something is not right.
Good luck.
When I go to NEW MESSAGES and type the letter (a) then press the scroll bar, email contacts that begin with (A) and also many that we didn’t put in there.

Going one by one pressing from a to z you could also find many email contacts too I am sure, that you did not know were there.

its not my email contacts its only found in my laptop by typing in first letters.

A.S.U.S support will be there tomorrow so I will ask them if you don’t know.

I only just discovered why blocking scammers for me, doesn’t work.

ITS BECAUSE THEIR EMAIL ADRESS is BEING HIDDEN in our files.