Protect Your Privacy! Discover How One New Homeowner Exposed a Neighbor's Security Camera Nightmare

Moving into a new home should be an exciting time filled with the promise of making fresh memories. However, for one new homeowner, the experience was soured by a privacy concern that's becoming increasingly common in our surveillance-saturated society. The issue at hand? A neighbor's security camera that seemed to be keeping a watchful eye over their private outdoor space.

The resident noticed the Ring camera, a popular home security device, mounted conspicuously above the wooden fence that separated their backyards. It wasn't just the sight of the camera that was unsettling; it was the intrusive spotlight that activated with every movement in their alfresco area, especially disruptive during the tranquil hours of the night.

image (72).jpg
A new homeowner is worried after a neighbour installed a camera overlooking their yard, potentially recording their movements and audio. Credit: Reddit / r/AusRenovation

Understandably, the homeowner was torn. On one hand, they didn't want to start off on the wrong foot with their neighbor. On the other, they felt a creeping unease that their every step, and possibly even their conversations, were being recorded without their consent. The camera's wide-angle lens only added to the worry, as these devices are designed to capture a broad scope, often extending beyond the intended perimeter.

The dilemma sparked a heated discussion online, with many Australians empathizing with the homeowner's predicament. The consensus was clear: the homeowner had every right to feel aggrieved. Suggestions poured in, ranging from practical solutions like extending the fence or planting tall, vision-obscuring foliage, to seeking legal advice on the matter.

It's important to note that while home security is essential, it should not come at the expense of someone else's privacy. The laws in Australia regarding the use of surveillance devices, including security cameras, vary by state but generally share a common thread of respect for privacy. In New South Wales, for instance, cameras should not intrude on private spaces such as bathrooms or through windows, and residents can contact the police to review footage if they suspect their privacy is being breached.

In Victoria, the Surveillance Devices Act 1999 is even more explicit, making it an offence to record or observe a private activity without consent. If you find yourself in a similar situation, it's advisable to approach your neighbor amicably to discuss repositioning the camera. If that fails, the next step would be to seek assistance from the local police or a property lawyer to understand your rights and ensure your privacy is protected.

At the Seniors Discount Club, we understand the importance of feeling safe and secure in your own home. We also believe in the sanctity of personal privacy. If you've encountered a similar issue or have navigated the tricky waters of neighborly disputes over surveillance, we'd love to hear your story. Share your experiences in the comments below, and let's help each other maintain the balance between security and privacy.
Key Takeaways
  • A new homeowner is concerned after a neighbour installed a camera overlooking their yard, spotlighting and potentially recording their movements and audio.
  • The resident is considering bringing up the issue with the neighbour, as well as looking for solutions like extending the fence or planting tall plants to block the camera's view.
  • The use of home security cameras can infringe on privacy laws if they record over private property or capture audio from neighbouring yards without consent.
  • In NSW and Victoria, laws regulate the installation and usage of surveillance devices, and anyone with concerns about neighbours' cameras can seek police assistance to address potential privacy breaches.
Remember, while technology has brought us many conveniences, it's crucial to stay informed and proactive about our rights. Whether it's a security camera or any other privacy concern, knowing the law and your options is the first step in safeguarding your peace of mind in your golden years.

Sponsored
A real problem for sure. Maybe a shotgun blast at the camera may solve the problem.

• Haha
Reactions: Nantes
I do understand the need for surveillance, however, when you have a camera pointed directlyr front door is rather unnerving, that's putting it politely, it really is bl dy rude, confine these cameras to looking at their own belongings

They could just put up a basketball backboard and hoop in front of the camera.....then a bad throw from the side might inadvertently hit their camera...oops, sorry.:ROFLMAO:

It could just be a sensor light - not camera? Perhaps they should speak to the neighbour before embarking upon damaging other peoples's property.

Reactions: Jo Piper3
That is "Invasion of your privacy " which as far as I know it is illegal in Victoria, Contact Victoria Police and ask them I am fairly sure that is a invasion of your privacy, so ask the question 😉
You can always put up a very small high fence just to cover the camera if you do ensure what you erect it solely on your property and not even touching the existing fence 2 - 4 posts a small length of (I can't think of what it's called) on tec screwed to the posts put a sheet of fencing tin to cover from the top of the fence to above the camera lens, Problem Solved permanently plus the neighbours should very easily get the messag

Last edited:
Well, if the neighbour is not into communicating, then, I would consider a few options.
First, an official complaint to council. There are rules concerning privacy.
Second, plant a really, really tall tree (skinny pine maybe), so the camera is triggered every time the wind blows and all they get on film is greenery.
Third, buy a laser and play havoc with the sensors.
Or maybe, get your own camera and point it at their yard.
It is a bit un-nerving, however, I would try the face to face approach first, in a civil manner. Also, record the conversation if you can.

Mmm...in that sort of position - I would think carefully (in your own defence) and erect a large mirror hanging in position facing their camera and all they would get in a return is a copy of their camera/survellience light and as far as if they are trying to record conversations etc - go to the electronic store and ask "is there any such device that "jams" recording equipment (because I know there is a device for mobile phones) and see if that can solve the problem. No need to confront the neighbor's as the mirror etc will be on YOUR property and nothing to do with them. :)

That is "Invasion of your privacy " which as far as I know it is illegal in Victoria, Contact Victoria Police and ask them I am fairly sure that is a invasion of your privacy, so ask the question 😉
You can always put up a very small high fence just to cover the camera if you do ensure what you erect it solely on your property and not even touching the existing fence 2 - 4 posts a small length of (I can't think of what it's called) on tec screwed to the posts put a sheet of fencing tin to cover from the top of the fence to above the camera lens, Problem Solved permanently plus the neighbours should very easily get the messag
Yes I would be putting up a privacy screen immediately. The neighbour should also turn the camera sideways to view their own property.

It could just be a sensor light - not camera? Perhaps they should speak to the neighbour before embarking upon damaging other peoples's property.
who would want a sensor light going off all the time pointing straight into your house while you were outside just enjoying yourself......they are very sensitive.

Thank you to all who have given me suggestions to stop my neighbour from having a security camera pointed at my front door. Well guess what, the Springvale police have told me that there is nothing that I can do, they also told me that my front door step was not private but public property, apparently because I live in public housing.

I have recently been assaulted by three people who were supposedly living in the unit next to mine, these people are in fact visitors, what assistance did I receive after being assaulted - NONE - I contacted the following people for assistance, police, no help, department of housing, rang every second day for 2 weeks to get incident report sheets, the first two letters from the department mysteriously didn't make it to my letterbox, I also contacted Wayss some 4 weeks ago, no response to date, regarding the continual flow of rubbish from this gang of people, council tells me that it is on private property so there is nothing they can do either.

I no longer wonder why people arm themselves for protection, as it seems that the people "IN AUTHORITY" are in fact powerless to act in defense of our vulnerable aged citizens.