RichParkin

Apr 22, 2024
Protect your online shopping

I do not give my main credit/debit card number online to make purchases.

Open a new account (Commonwealth Bank has a Pensioner Debit account ) and I only keep about $10 in that account.
Then if you want to make a purchase online use that account and transfer the amount to the Pensioner account and use that card to pay online.
Make the purchase and pay from that account, the maximum you could lose is $ 10.00 or however the amount you choose to put in there.
I hope this can help some people and give them a bit less fear about online purchasing.
I never take that debit card with me as it is used only for online

So where do you transfer the money from (to that $10 account)- another bank account lol? Unfort none of us get paid wages/Clink in cash these days so I guess you're saying withdraw ALL of your wages/payments in cash & use that to live & if need to online purchases to pay bills etc you then deposit the amount of the bill before purchasing?
Sounds rather inconvenient & time consuming?
Or am I missing something?

Reactions: loraines
So where do you transfer the money from (to that $10 account)- another bank account lol? Unfort none of us get paid wages/Clink in cash these days so I guess you're saying withdraw ALL of your wages/payments in cash & use that to live & if need to online purchases to pay bills etc you then deposit the amount of the bill before purchasing?
Yes I think you are missing the point.
I guess you don't do much online shopping since all is taken out in cash. But for those who do leave money in their accounts you don't want any crims getting access, then a separate account is the way to go

You can have multiple accounts with the one bank or a few different banks and transfer money between accounts on your phone or computer any time. The account you give details for to PayPal or any other payment option, you just leave a nominal amount in that account. Top it up when you need to and keep all your cards etc in one of those 'scan proof' wallets or money clips or whatever you prefer.

I don't think you understand.
You can have as many accounts as you like.
I have three accounts, one where my pension is paid into, one savings account, and one holiday account.
I transfer money into both those accounts each fortnight.
I think this extra internet account would-be helpful for me. As carer for my husband and daughter I could transfer funds from their accounts as well as my own when doing purchases instead of worrying about three different cards or PayPal accounts
So much easier to have all internet purchases on the one card.
I don't have cards attached to my other two accounts. Each year I use the funds from the holiday account to visit my son and family interstate, and I remove the funds from my savings and add it to my term deposit which I renew each year

Reactions: terri and Wieso
Yes I think you are missing the point.
I guess you don't do much online shopping since all is taken out in cash. But for those who do leave money in their accounts you don't want any crims getting access, then a separate account is the way to go
Ok, thanks for clarifying!

I do a little online shopping (mainly Woolies groceries, ebay/paypal etc) but use credit card with a minimum withdrawal limit on it, a sep account (for online shopping) with only $10 in it is a great idea if you are doing a lot of online shopping & there are no account keeping fees on the $10 account yes

Ok, thanks for clarifying!

I do a little online shopping (mainly Woolies groceries, ebay/paypal etc) but use credit card with a minimum withdrawal limit on it, a sep account (for online shopping) with only $10 in it is a great idea if you are doing a lot of online shopping & there are no account keeping fees on the $10 account yes
I don't get any account keeping fees on any of my accounts.
I must admit I need to keep my wits about me when doing internet banking.
As I have to do my husband's and daughters banking as well.
They both have a pension account, as well as savings, along with my three,and as I self managed my daughter's NDIS plan there is also an account for that, eight in all, gets a bit confusing at times.

Reactions: Cheezil
I am on my 5th debit card as my card has had unauthorized transactions on it at times & my bank cancels the current card . trouble is it seems to happen only on a Saturday when the banks are closed & you can get nothing done then with Aussie post not delivering each day the cards take a few extra days to get here then you have to activate it & add a new pin number. This is a bind I have been advised to take a second account to counteract this & I will do this when the bank opens on Monday. Sound ideas!

We transfer money from our main account into one set up for online shopping especially if we buy anything from overseas. Money never stays in my account long as I buy clothes, my shoes, skincare & what ever I need online. We both use PayPal. Neither of us have had any problems but we are very vigilant. I’ve shopped online for years. Unless I’m in WA I have an aversion to going into an actual store.

If you use another account to transfer to the small account some hackers are clever enough to access the linked account.

Reactions: Macarj
If you use another account to transfer to the small account some hackers are clever enough to access the linked account.
Yes I’m aware of this so we change passwords constantly & our credit union are very watchful. One can only take so many precautions.

I always pay for my online purchases with my credit card. In the 25 years I have been using it, there has been only one fraudulent transaction. On that occasion, when a second one was attempted, the bank contacted me, stopped the transaction and account, promptly refunded the fraudulent transaction, and issued a new card
Sure, was without a card for 5 working days, but prefer that to constantly juggling money between accounts.

Reactions: PattiB
I always pay for my online purchases with my credit card. In the 25 years I have been using it, there has been only one fraudulent transaction. On that occasion, when a second one was attempted, the bank contacted me, stopped the transaction and account, promptly refunded the fraudulent transaction, and issued a new card
Sure, was without a card for 5 working days, but prefer that to constantly juggling money between accounts.
It’s not hard Jurgen. We both transfer a set amount each fortnight, my account only builds up if I’m saving for something. It’s really no different to inputting bills into Bpay. I know a lot of you don’t like paying bills online but who wants to race all over town paying bills. We have cards with two different banks so if one’s cancelled we still have a fallback. Online transfers are really easy.

Reactions: maherdj