Protect your car! Shocking story of mum who discovered a car freshener that burned a hole in her vehicle

Ah, the smell of a fresh and clean car—it's something all drivers appreciate. Many of us rely on air fresheners to keep our vehicles smelling pleasant, whether we choose the small cardboard trees hanging from our rearview mirrors or the fancy essential oil diffusers available in stores.

However, it seems not all air fresheners are created equal, and some can even inflict quite a bit of damage on our beloved cars. A mum from New South Wales, Australia, named Brooke Bliss, learned this the hard way when her $14 essential oil car air freshener caused a shocking $451 worth of damage to her relatively new vehicle.

The unfortunate event began innocently enough, with Bliss buying the seemingly innocuous car freshener as an 'afterthought' from a florist. She hung the air freshener on her mirror, thinking it looked 'really nice,' but she had no idea of the disaster it would bring.

'The bottom of it has cracked with the heat... f***ing fantastic,' she said in a video, which has now gone viral with over 222,000 views. 'The car sat in the sun all day and the oil has literally burnt a f***ing hole in my car... my car is two years old, it's literally a new car. I didn't really see it, because it's clear until it was too late.'

1685600112586.png
A mother expressed her frustration regarding the "burn holes" that were caused by an essential oil car air freshener in her Toyota. Source: @brookeisblissed/Tiktok

When she took her Toyota to the dealership for repairs, the damage turned out to be an eye-watering $451. 'So my $14 diffuser to make my car smell beautiful has turned into a $451 repair on my car,' she said in despair.

The video quickly got the attention of other car owners, many of whom shared similar experiences. 'As soon as I saw you show the diffuser, I knew where this was going. This happened to my car, and it melted into my dash; they should be illegal,' one person commented.

Another stated, 'The same thing happened to mine and ruined a part on the dash that was going to cost $1200 to replace.' A third person was shaken, saying, 'Yikes! Running to remove mine from the mirror!'

Although such incidents seem rare, Fire and Rescue NSW warns drivers that flammable and combustible items, like essential oil car air fresheners, should be kept out of direct sunlight. 'Internal car temperatures are significant compared to outside temperatures,' a spokesman told Yahoo News Australia. 'And any time you've got elevated temperatures, there is a chance of ignition. If you leave oil depositories, you have to be conscious not to leave them in direct sunlight... park in the shade.'

Alternative Ways to Keep Your Car's Interior Fresh​

When it comes to fragrance options for your car, air fresheners aren’t your only option. There are numerous alternatives available that won’t cause such serious damages as Brooke experienced in her unfortunate incident.

Consider using products such as auto upholstery cleaners, fabric sprays, and spritzers to keep your car interior looking and smelling its best. These products are usually designed to deep-clean fabrics, remove odour, and leave behind a pleasant scent without leaving any residue.

You can also deodorise and refresh the air in your car with starter kits specially designed for cars or even homemade remedies. Companies such as LyduaCar offer specifically designed minimalist starter kits for all types of vehicles, while DIY air fresheners can be made with everyday items.

Key Takeaways
  • An Aussie woman has received a $451 bill to repair her two-year-old car after an essential oil car air freshener burned holes in her gearstick surround.
  • The now-viral video has been viewed more than 222,000 times, with people sharing their similar experiences.
  • Fire and Rescue NSW warns drivers to keep flammable and combustible items like essential oil car air fresheners out of direct sunlight.
  • Internal car temperatures can be significantly higher than outside temperatures, increasing the chance of ignition.
When it comes to car air fresheners, it's crucial to consider their placement and avoid exposing them to direct sunlight or heated areas to prevent potential damage and costly repairs. Alternatively, skipping essential oil fresheners completely might be a wiser choice, as Brooke's experience highlighted their susceptibility to heat damage.

Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Have you ever encountered issues with car air fresheners or essential oils causing damage? Share your opinions and experiences with us. Let's prioritise keeping our cars smelling fresh while being mindful of potential risks.

Sponsored
Ah, the smell of a fresh and clean car—it's something all drivers appreciate. Many of us rely on air fresheners to keep our vehicles smelling pleasant, whether we choose the small cardboard trees hanging from our rearview mirrors or the fancy essential oil diffusers available in stores.

However, it seems not all air fresheners are created equal, and some can even inflict quite a bit of damage on our beloved cars. A mum from New South Wales, Australia, named Brooke Bliss, learned this the hard way when her $14 essential oil car air freshener caused a shocking $451 worth of damage to her relatively new vehicle.

The unfortunate event began innocently enough, with Bliss buying the seemingly innocuous car freshener as an 'afterthought' from a florist. She hung the air freshener on her mirror, thinking it looked 'really nice,' but she had no idea of the disaster it would bring.

'The bottom of it has cracked with the heat... f***ing fantastic,' she said in a video, which has now gone viral with over 222,000 views. 'The car sat in the sun all day and the oil has literally burnt a f***ing hole in my car... my car is two years old, it's literally a new car. I didn't really see it, because it's clear until it was too late.'

View attachment 21234
A mother expressed her frustration regarding the "burn holes" that were caused by an essential oil car air freshener in her Toyota. Source: @brookeisblissed/Tiktok

When she took her Toyota to the dealership for repairs, the damage turned out to be an eye-watering $451. 'So my $14 diffuser to make my car smell beautiful has turned into a $451 repair on my car,' she said in despair.

The video quickly got the attention of other car owners, many of whom shared similar experiences. 'As soon as I saw you show the diffuser, I knew where this was going. This happened to my car, and it melted into my dash; they should be illegal,' one person commented.

Another stated, 'The same thing happened to mine and ruined a part on the dash that was going to cost $1200 to replace.' A third person was shaken, saying, 'Yikes! Running to remove mine from the mirror!'

Although such incidents seem rare, Fire and Rescue NSW warns drivers that flammable and combustible items, like essential oil car air fresheners, should be kept out of direct sunlight. 'Internal car temperatures are significant compared to outside temperatures,' a spokesman told Yahoo News Australia. 'And any time you've got elevated temperatures, there is a chance of ignition. If you leave oil depositories, you have to be conscious not to leave them in direct sunlight... park in the shade.'

Alternative Ways to Keep Your Car's Interior Fresh​

When it comes to fragrance options for your car, air fresheners aren’t your only option. There are numerous alternatives available that won’t cause such serious damages as Brooke experienced in her unfortunate incident.

Consider using products such as auto upholstery cleaners, fabric sprays, and spritzers to keep your car interior looking and smelling its best. These products are usually designed to deep-clean fabrics, remove odour, and leave behind a pleasant scent without leaving any residue.

You can also deodorise and refresh the air in your car with starter kits specially designed for cars or even homemade remedies. Companies such as LyduaCar offer specifically designed minimalist starter kits for all types of vehicles, while DIY air fresheners can be made with everyday items.

Key Takeaways

• An Aussie woman has received a $451 bill to repair her two-year-old car after an essential oil car air freshener burned holes in her gearstick surround.
  • The now-viral video has been viewed more than 222,000 times, with people sharing their similar experiences.
  • Fire and Rescue NSW warns drivers to keep flammable and combustible items like essential oil car air fresheners out of direct sunlight.
  • Internal car temperatures can be significantly higher than outside temperatures, increasing the chance of ignition.
When it comes to car air fresheners, it's crucial to consider their placement and avoid exposing them to direct sunlight or heated areas to prevent potential damage and costly repairs. Alternatively, skipping essential oil fresheners completely might be a wiser choice, as Brooke's experience highlighted their susceptibility to heat damage.

Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Have you ever encountered issues with car air fresheners or essential oils causing damage? Share your opinions and experiences with us. Let's prioritise keeping our cars smelling fresh while being mindful of potential risks.
I was under the impression that it is illegal to hang anything from the interior mirror anyway' many years ago I had a small plastic temperature guage on the dash of my car, it melted, a nice pink blob on the dash, never got it off completely

Reactions: Jennylolo
oils can't be exposed to extreme heat - any oil. Think about cooking oils, keep heating and it burns. They are used in oil burners with a tea candle, or mixed in carrier oil for use on the body.

I'm one these old fashioned grannys who hangs a tree in her car.
Favourite of mine is bubble gum, closely followed by musk, then vanilla.
Nothing melts because it has nothing on it that can melt.
It's a lot cheaper than some of the fancy stuff you see around.
One of my pet dislikes is those things you stick on the car vent. I've seen a few vents warped or broken as a result of impatient fitting.
Stick with time tested and you can't go wrong.

Reactions: London Lad
I don't use anything in the car,,,allergic to smellies,,,but I was my car out with pine-o-clean,,you can't beat the clean smell,,love it

Reactions: MariaG