Proposed bill aims to fine businesses and individuals up to $25,000 for refusing cash payments

In an era when tapping a card or phone has become the norm for transactions, the humble banknote could be making a comeback, and refusing it might cost businesses and individuals a hefty price tag.

A new legislative push by former Nationals MP Andrew Gee could see fines of up to $25,000 levied against those who turn away cash payments.

The proposed bill, Keeping Cash Transactions in Australia Act 2024, introduced by former Nationals Member of the Parliament (MP) Andrew Gee to the federal parliament, aims to safeguard the consumer's right to use cash, especially for transactions under $10,000.

While individuals could face fines of up to $5,000, businesses would face fines of up to $25,000 for refusing to accept cash.

The only time one could justifiably turn down cash is if it poses a 'security' threat.

shutterstock_1297608724.jpg
MP Andrew Gee proposed a bill where businesses and individuals could face a fine of up to $25,000 for refusing cash transactions. Credit: Shutterstock

Despite the digital shift in our spending habits, particularly accelerated by the COVID pandemic, cash is experiencing a resurgence.

The Reserve Bank of Australia's data indicated a 3.6 per cent increase in ATM cash withdrawals in February this year compared to the same month in 2023.

Andrew Gee's stance is clear: ‘I don’t think it is too late because many Australians, particularly senior Australians, who are the heaviest users of cash, still want the freedom to use it, and why shouldn’t they have that freedom?’

While the Private Member’s Bill can be a difficult bill to pass, Gee hoped for its possible legislation.

‘I think while…we have Australians out there who have concerns about using card and online banking, then we should give them the option of cash, and I don’t think it’s too much to ask,’ he said.

The bill, supported by Independent MPs Bob Katter and Dai Le, recognises the diverse needs of communities.

‘It’s vital for our community in western Sydney, and in particular culturally and linguistically diverse communities because a lot of them do not trust the banking system,’ Le said.

The Senate's inquiry into rural banking services also highlighted the need for 'reasonable access to cash and financial services' across the nation.

But it's not just about convenience or preference. As journalist Suzanne Mostyn pointed out on Sunrise, going cashless isn't an option for everyone.

‘There are people in rural areas, and they’re not all oldies, who are shovelling cash under the mattress, but there are people who genuinely don’t want to be tracked,’ Mostyn said.

‘Women who are fleeing domestic violence situations, who want anonymity as to where they’re going and where they’re being sheltered.’

‘There is a lot more to this than meets the eye.’

The push for this bill comes as banks like Macquarie Bank are moving towards a cashless model, citing changes in customer banking habits.
Key Takeaways

• Former Nationals MP Andrew Gee has introduced to parliament the Keeping Cash Transactions in Australia Act 2024, which proposes fines for businesses and individuals that refuse cash transactions below $10,000.
  • Under the bill, individuals could be fined up to $5,000 and businesses up to $25,000, with an exemption only for security reasons.
  • The use of cash in Australia has increased, with more Australians, especially senior citizens, wanting the freedom to use it.
  • Independent MPs, including Bob Katter and Dai Le, are supporting the bill, highlighting its importance for rural and culturally diverse communities that may distrust the banking system.
Have you encountered businesses that refuse cash? Do you prefer cash transactions for certain purchases? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I love country markets, who deal in cash. I pay my neighbours daughter money to take my bin down (she doesn't take cheques or cards, she is 7). When my electricity was off for a day plus, I couldn't access anything and it affected my bank too. To give to homeless people, you need cash. Many people cannot afford computers or to pay bills any other way than to walk into the bank. The banks make money out of a cashless society which leaves us at their mercy. Eventually they can charge what ever the hell they like. ......NO do not let banks take away our rights.

Reactions: Rob44
Fine is too heavy, but agree I'm over businesses that won't take cash and charge a surcharge. Actually the card surcharge is what I want to see abolished it costs consumers hundreds to thousands of dollars a year
The fine is ok coz if the business accepts cash they won't pay any fine. I agree get rid of card surcharge

This bill will not pass!
It does not suit the agenda of the governments desire to know exactly where you spend every cent of your $$$.
A company named HOUSE has been cashless for mote than a year now.
And FFS stop blaming Covid.

Covid was introduced for two reasons: Reduce the old age population of the world & to force is into a cashless society where governments have complete knowledge and control of peoples finances!

Our own local council, Casey , is totally cashless when you go to their theatre and cafe at Bunjil place.

Don‘t think they will receive a fine if this bill just happened to pass!
what chance do you think the govt would of had to get rid of cash if covid did not exist.....NONE. how else would they get cooperation from the public they also got rid of a lot of govt depts that they would have had problems doing if covid did not exist

I hope this bill passes, if it doesn't I am still going to be one of the many who use cash for as much as possible, I do also use my debit card, but always have cash on me for those places that are ready to assume you will use your card and be dam happy to pay the surcharge thank you very much. If a place will not take cash then I will not buy from them. Good luck Andrew Gee and thank you for supporting cash transactions.

Reactions: Cheezil
Yes, I want to be able to use cash at any shop as required. I do not trust electronic banking and have no faith in any statement that says security, when people are being scammed at an alarming rate.

Reactions: Cheezil
There was a local facey post & this person had been refused the choice to pay cash at a cafe in Melb & the cafe owners called the cops on this person (there was a sign saying cash not accepted), but this person/customer had correct money for the amount owed & didn't carry a cred card. So the copscame & basicly toldthe business that the person/customer was doing no wrong & strongly advised cafe to accept the cash as they (cops) were not going to pursue making person pay with a catd!

PS i feel so strongly about having a choice to use cash tjat i would most likely vote for any political party bold enough to intoduce a bill like that (saying we need the choice), it's disgusting that so many businesses are now trying to take the choice away!

For a start the fines are pitifully low. A minimal fine of $250,000 for businesses is more appropriate. Double the fine until it reaches $5 million They need to realise they are committing a crime when they refuse cash. Fortunately I had cash at the service station when they went off line and their ATM ran out of money. I know someone who after an hour got their son to come with cash What was sad was the inability of the staff to be able to understand the simple task of handling money

Great idea. People should have the option to pay cash for goods and services if they wish to do so. I will not use a business that does not allow me to pay cash.

Reactions: WAZZIE1952
Cash is cash. Some prefer cash because you can keep track of your spending by what's left in your wallet or purse. Not all people like online banking because of scams and are wary of it.

Apart from country markets , I like to buy my fruit and vegetables from the local farmers , who have a stall at the front of their property . These people can only take cash . Please support them , you’re better off , organic food and bananas are half the price as the supermarkets in the next township.

Reactions: bluetang
Yes absolutely we need cash plus if telcos go down which happens regularly in victoria. No one can use a card at any premises. A lot of people take out cash to shop all of the time . Cash is a legal tender . A lot of businesses are saying card only . Then charge you a % to use the card . Double dipping . It's iligial .

Reactions: bluetang
Cash is legal tender and it is a right of every Australian to use cash where they consider it appropriate. Bargains can be gained by the use of cash, and for large sums , direct transfer is safer.
IT has to be considered like this-- we fuel up and go to pay by card but the system is down
The business is cashless, so what happens - we drive off and get a fine, we can't stand around all day waiting for some IT expert to reset -- The business loses money
Not an imaginary scenario but a daily happening across the country. WE cannot put the petrol back in the tank, like we can leave the items on the check out counter
People want the use of cash , the banks want it gone because then they can up the surcharge rate on car transactions.
Bring in the laws and up the penalty as $25 g for a business is pennies to them . If we are going to flog the wrong doers, get a bloody big whip and do a decent job.
Yes Bloody big whip should be to the banks. Great raking millions of dollars and not having to pay Armourguard for the cash pick up or delivery. The usual person , us , are screwed.

We no longer purchase KFC since they insist on card only purchases. No business has the right to refuse cash & I won’t shop where I don’t have the choice to use cash.

I will be very surprised if this ever gets passed and turned into law.