Professional chef reveals SECRET to making the PERFECT poached eggs — “It’s that simple!”

Professional chef reveals SECRET to making the PERFECT poached eggs — “It’s that simple!”
If you're anything like us whose pastime is trying new recipes or "cooking hacks" you see online, just to make life in the kitchen that little bit easier, then this article might be for you! This article is gonna give you the inside scoop on how a professional chef makes the perfect poached eggs every time without fail.

Kiwi chef Andy Hearnden, who is currently residing on the Sunshine Coast, said that he understands that it can get quite frustrating to poach the perfect egg.

So, in a recent TikTok video, he decided to reveal his secret to perfecting this breakfast favourite.

Credit: TikTok/@andy_cooks

In his clip, he emphasised the importance of using fresh eggs — ideally, three to four-day-old eggs as anything over two weeks old will not poach well.

Andy said: 'The most important thing is how fresh your eggs are. If you don't have fresh eggs, they're not going to poach well - it's that simple.'

Andy started the demo by boiling a large pot of water and adding a 'good three-finger pinch of salt' and two tablespoons of plain white vinegar.

Andy emphasised that the water should be 'rapidly boiling' before cracking your eggs in them, explaining: 'The reason is that obviously, the water temperature drops really quickly as soon as you have a cold egg or even room temperature egg go in there.'

The professional chef then cracked 3 eggs into the pot, making sure that he cracked them as close to the water as possible.

In a surprising turn of events, the chef cracked two eggs with double yolks, which he described as 'unbelievable'.

q-JbQgE43D9PwvG2LE28KPTL_wI_8eiLGZzxyftJaG_9dPr7vOcmadqbvt5GM9n29qMTgzHY8SWdIVjIZpMkvbOK8ZU4VIwFD9Aa5DDoaUMoXqqse4fPCYKic6muVO8arLoAewY

Andy emphasised the importance of the egg’s freshness when poaching it. Credit: TikTok/@andy_cooks.

Andy said that the temperature of the water will drop once the eggs are in the pot so you need to wait until larger bubbles form at the top of the water before turning down the heat of the stove.

'Now I know in the comments someone's going to ask me how long this was done for - it really depends on the size of your egg and how many eggs you've got in the pot,' he said.

Finally, the kiwi chef advised that in order to know when the eggs are ready, it should be shaped like a teardrop and firm but with some push back when pressed.

Do you know of any other tips for making the perfect poached eggs? Share your tips with us in the comments below so other members of the SDC can use them too!

Sponsored
To get your eggs no more than 3 or 4 days old, you'd have to grow your own, I guess.
I mean, chooks....
l live in the country so can buy my googs from the chook farms. Sometimes they are still warm. But always that day or at most the day before. They are all date stamped.

If you're anything like us whose pastime is trying new recipes or "cooking hacks" you see online, just to make life in the kitchen that little bit easier, then this article might be for you! This article is gonna give you the inside scoop on how a professional chef makes the perfect poached eggs every time without fail.

Kiwi chef Andy Hearnden, who is currently residing on the Sunshine Coast, said that he understands that it can get quite frustrating to poach the perfect egg.

So, in a recent TikTok video, he decided to reveal his secret to perfecting this breakfast favourite.

In his clip, he emphasised the importance of using fresh eggs — ideally, three to four-day-old eggs as anything over two weeks old will not poach well.

Andy said: 'The most important thing is how fresh your eggs are. If you don't have fresh eggs, they're not going to poach well - it's that simple.'

Andy started the demo by boiling a large pot of water and adding a 'good three-finger pinch of salt' and two tablespoons of plain white vinegar.

Andy emphasised that the water should be 'rapidly boiling' before cracking your eggs in them, explaining: 'The reason is that obviously, the water temperature drops really quickly as soon as you have a cold egg or even room temperature egg go in there.'

The professional chef then cracked 3 eggs into the pot, making sure that he cracked them as close to the water as possible.

In a surprising turn of events, the chef cracked two eggs with double yolks, which he described as 'unbelievable'.

q-JbQgE43D9PwvG2LE28KPTL_wI_8eiLGZzxyftJaG_9dPr7vOcmadqbvt5GM9n29qMTgzHY8SWdIVjIZpMkvbOK8ZU4VIwFD9Aa5DDoaUMoXqqse4fPCYKic6muVO8arLoAewY

Andy emphasised the importance of the egg’s freshness when poaching it. Credit: TikTok/@andy_cooks.

Andy said that the temperature of the water will drop once the eggs are in the pot so you need to wait until larger bubbles form at the top of the water before turning down the heat of the stove.

'Now I know in the comments someone's going to ask me how long this was done for - it really depends on the size of your egg and how many eggs you've got in the pot,' he said.

Finally, the kiwi chef advised that in order to know when the eggs are ready, it should be shaped like a teardrop and firm but with some push back when pressed.

Do you know of any other tips for making the perfect poached eggs? Share your tips with us in the comments below so other members of the SDC can use them too!

poaching eggs is so simple...use a deep saucepan filled with water and a good dash of white vinegar, drop the eggs in when the water is boiling. It only takes a couple of minutes... remove and drain on a clean kitchen cloth before plating...because none of us want water on our breakfast plate!!

A chef told me that it's a good idea to stir the boiling water just prior to dropping the eggs in because it helps to stop the egg white from spreading out too much and gets that nice cafe teardrop shape.

Reactions: Tervueren

Much better if you swirl the water before putting in each egg. It wraps the white around it. Try with one egg first to see how it goes.

My chef friend told me about the vinegar and salt and to stir the water, BUT, she also showed me that eggs have 2 whites, a runny watery white and a more gelled white. It is best to separate the watery by breaking the egg into a filter spoon (the large spoon with holes) into the sink. The watery drains away and leaves the gel and yolk which you carefully place into the stirred water and continue to gently stir the eggs till they go once around the pot. Yum.

My secret to perfect poached eggs is the Kmart Toast N Egg. Cook your eggs perfectly to own liking at same time as toast is being done, This fabulous Toaster (but more) is my happy purchase. Never had a badly cooked poached egg, or boiled, yet & had it for about a month or so now.

Reactions: Lynette Finnigan
My chef friend told me about the vinegar and salt and to stir the water, BUT, she also showed me that eggs have 2 whites, a runny watery white and a more gelled white. It is best to separate the watery by breaking the egg into a filter spoon (the large spoon with holes) into the sink. The watery drains away and leaves the gel and yolk which you carefully place into the stirred water and continue to gently stir the eggs till they go once around the pot. Yum.
The older the egg, the more of the runnier white and less of the firm white there is. 👍