Pro-cash advocate exposes Australia's 'cashless society': ‘Our economy isn't inclusive anymore’

As digital payments become increasingly popular in Australia, many have experienced the convenience of skipping cash transactions and tapping their cards into machines or using their phones to make payments instead.

But according to a pro-cash advocate, this 'cashless society' that we've all jumped into in recent years is costing businesses and customers thousands of dollars a year.

Jason Bryce—the coordinator of the Cash Welcome campaign—said that the average fee for an EFTPOS machine is around $200 a month, and for some businesses that use multiple machines, those fees quickly add up.

'It costs thousands of dollars a month for a standard, average business like this one, a coffee shop behind me, to accept card payments,' Bryce said as he was speaking outside of Footscray Doughnuts and Coffee in Melbourne’s west.

alexander-grey--8a5eJ1-mmQ-unsplash.jpg
Pro-cash advocate Jason Bryce said that banks and businesses should offer cash payments. Credit: Unsplash

'And if your volume goes down, your fees go up. So whatever happens, the bank or the phone company, the telco, is clipping the ticket on the way through.'

'Sure, lots of people like to tap and go, but there's some times when we all need to use cash, and some people use cash every single day.'

It’s not just businesses that are losing out either; customers are also paying a higher price for purchases due to the surcharge fees that some businesses pass on to them.

Bryce has been campaigning on behalf of cash movement since both his bank and local supermarket discontinued cash payments throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.

Cash transactions have declined since the pandemic, while some businesses and bank branches refuse to accept physical currency transactions.

Bryce said that businesses ‘need to be able to accept cash’ as they would save ‘thousands’ of costs on monthly fees and transactions.

He added that people use cash to budget and save money when they are tightening their spending due to the rising interest rates.

‘(Cash) is just getting too hard to get, bank branches are closing, ATMs are closing and as soon as there is an outage, we are stuck,’ Bryce said.

'Our economy isn't inclusive anymore.’

'Without cash, our economy is weaker because retailers and consumers are more vulnerable to computer failures, bank system outages and even online criminals.'

According to Bryce, the Optus outage was a ‘big wake-up call’ for Australian businesses and customers.

Business owners were stranded in their operations due to no mobile reception or broadband last 8 November when the telecommunication giant had an outage.

Some businesses reported issues communicating with customers and accepting digital payments, while others were forced to close that day. The outage affected at least 10 million customers.

Mt Druitt service centre ANZCO Automotive informed its customers that they had to close their shop that day.

‘For the time being, we will not be operating. Due to this outage, our entire system is not operating,’ its business owners announced.

Another business, Stewy the Snake Catcher on the Gold Coast, said to his followers that he was not spared by the outage.

'We are aware of a major outage across the Optus network, and I myself am with Optus' he said.

'We apologise in advance if you try to get through to us this morning and are having trouble. Hopefully, they rectify the issue ASAP.'

Bryce has a petition that currently has over 150,000 signatures on it since March. It calls for Australians to ‘have reasonable local access to cash and full banking services’ and to ‘choose cash when paying for food and essentials at physical retailers'.

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 9.37.22 AM.png
Jason Bryce’s petition garnered more than 150,000. Credit: change.org

The petition reads, ‘We will win this war on cash if we can keep going, pushing governments to protect our rights.’

'Other countries are protecting cash, and Australia must follow.'

Australia already lags behind the United Kingdom, the European Union, and the United States, who have all recently backed legislation that protects the people’s right to use cash.

'We need to be able to choose how we pay for stuff, whether it be tapping or whether it be cash,' Bryce said.

Key Takeaways
  • Pro-cash advocate Jason Bryce has warned against Australia becoming a cashless society, arguing it's costing businesses and customers money through card payment fees.
  • According to Bryce, EFTPOS machines could be costing businesses around $200 a month due to monthly fees and surcharges, significantly impacting small businesses.
  • Bryce argues that cash is vital for consumers to effectively budget and save money and highlights the vulnerability to technological failures and online criminal activity in a cashless society.
  • A petition started by Bryce calling for the right to use cash and for businesses and banks to support cash payments has garnered 150,000 signatures since March.

What do you think of this story? Do you agree with Bryce to have cash payments for in-person transactions, or do you prefer a ‘cashless society’? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Cash needs to stay and banks need to re open their local suburban sites with ATM'S back around the Country. They rely on your money in order to run their own business....so we all have a bargaining tool in our bank accounts. The Australian Government must keep cash available for use by all Australians......as the need was seen with the latest OPTUS debacle. Sign the petition mentioned in this article and let us all tell our Gov't what we want, for today and for the future as citizens of our great Country. 🤔😉

I think every transaction made using the card when shopping, a coffee, or online a fee is charged by the bans even if it is 'hidden'. I know they charge for every tap and go. Of course, most here are more familiar with using cash and the combination of cash and card. I prefer cash withdrawals from Coles added to the goods purchased by Visa Debit I guess it could be considered next to cash, but not if I use it more than X amount of times per month..and I do..I never use Credit but I am sure I get charged fees. Our Banks never go broke do they?

Reactions: magpie1
I think every transaction made using the card when shopping, a coffee, or online a fee is charged by the bans even if it is 'hidden'. I know they charge for every tap and go. Of course, most here are more familiar with using cash and the combination of cash and card. I prefer cash withdrawals from Coles added to the goods purchased by Visa Debit I guess it could be considered next to cash, but not if I use it more than X amount of times per month..and I do..I never use Credit but I am sure I get charged fees. Our Banks never go broke do they?
The Banks never miss you.....whatever way you use their service. 🤦‍♂️😡

As digital payments become increasingly popular in Australia, many have experienced the convenience of skipping cash transactions and tapping their cards into machines or using their phones to make payments instead.

But according to a pro-cash advocate, this 'cashless society' that we've all jumped into in recent years is costing businesses and customers thousands of dollars a year.

Jason Bryce—the coordinator of the Cash Welcome campaign—said that the average fee for an EFTPOS machine is around $200 a month, and for some businesses that use multiple machines, those fees quickly add up.

'It costs thousands of dollars a month for a standard, average business like this one, a coffee shop behind me, to accept card payments,' Bryce said as he was speaking outside of Footscray Doughnuts and Coffee in Melbourne’s west.

View attachment 34777
Pro-cash advocate Jason Bryce said that banks and businesses should offer cash payments. Credit: Unsplash

'And if your volume goes down, your fees go up. So whatever happens, the bank or the phone company, the telco, is clipping the ticket on the way through.'

'Sure, lots of people like to tap and go, but there's some times when we all need to use cash, and some people use cash every single day.'

It’s not just businesses that are losing out either; customers are also paying a higher price for purchases due to the surcharge fees that some businesses pass on to them.

Bryce has been campaigning on behalf of cash movement since both his bank and local supermarket discontinued cash payments throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.

Cash transactions have declined since the pandemic, while some businesses and bank branches refuse to accept physical currency transactions.

Bryce said that businesses ‘need to be able to accept cash’ as they would save ‘thousands’ of costs on monthly fees and transactions.

He added that people use cash to budget and save money when they are tightening their spending due to the rising interest rates.

‘(Cash) is just getting too hard to get, bank branches are closing, ATMs are closing and as soon as there is an outage, we are stuck,’ Bryce said.

'Our economy isn't inclusive anymore.’

'Without cash, our economy is weaker because retailers and consumers are more vulnerable to computer failures, bank system outages and even online criminals.'

According to Bryce, the Optus outage was a ‘big wake-up call’ for Australian businesses and customers.

Business owners were stranded in their operations due to no mobile reception or broadband last 8 November when the telecommunication giant had an outage.

Some businesses reported issues communicating with customers and accepting digital payments, while others were forced to close that day. The outage affected at least 10 million customers.

Mt Druitt service centre ANZCO Automotive informed its customers that they had to close their shop that day.

‘For the time being, we will not be operating. Due to this outage, our entire system is not operating,’ its business owners announced.

Another business, Stewy the Snake Catcher on the Gold Coast, said to his followers that he was not spared by the outage.

'We are aware of a major outage across the Optus network, and I myself am with Optus' he said.

'We apologise in advance if you try to get through to us this morning and are having trouble. Hopefully, they rectify the issue ASAP.'

Bryce has a petition that currently has over 150,000 signatures on it since March. It calls for Australians to ‘have reasonable local access to cash and full banking services’ and to ‘choose cash when paying for food and essentials at physical retailers'.

View attachment 34776
Jason Bryce’s petition garnered more than 150,000. Credit: change.org

The petition reads, ‘We will win this war on cash if we can keep going, pushing governments to protect our rights.’

'Other countries are protecting cash, and Australia must follow.'

Australia already lags behind the United Kingdom, the European Union, and the United States, who have all recently backed legislation that protects the people’s right to use cash.

'We need to be able to choose how we pay for stuff, whether it be tapping or whether it be cash,' Bryce said.

Key Takeaways

• Pro-cash advocate Jason Bryce has warned against Australia becoming a cashless society, arguing it's costing businesses and customers money through card payment fees.
  • According to Bryce, EFTPOS machines could be costing businesses around $200 a month due to monthly fees and surcharges, significantly impacting small businesses.
  • Bryce argues that cash is vital for consumers to effectively budget and save money and highlights the vulnerability to technological failures and online criminal activity in a cashless society.
  • A petition started by Bryce calling for the right to use cash and for businesses and banks to support cash payments has garnered 150,000 signatures since March.

What do you think of this story? Do you agree with Bryce to have cash payments for in-person transactions, or do you prefer a ‘cashless society’? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly agree with Bryce that each one of us should fight and lobby for the right to use CASH as a "fall back" when electronic transactions fail, or when we feel that it would be more convenient and effective to use cash.

Emwick

Right now, the Albanese government is considering how to modernise payments laws in Australia to deal with the growth of the digital economy. These new laws will determine the future of cash in Australia.

Australia must follow the UK, Europe, Sweden and the USA in guaranteeing the future of cash.

The UK requires banks to ensure every citizen can access a fee-free ATM within three miles of their home. Europe requires retailers to accept cash payments.
And so they should and ALBO and his cohorts should follow their lead and force or legislate that they HAVE TO HANDLE CASH at all times.
My suggestion is that if some retailers refuse to take cash, leave the goods there on their counters and shop elsewhere from then on.
I saw a person the other day at Coles that refused to go through the checkout and left the trolley full of groceries in the aisle and walked out. As he was walking out he said loudly if I have to check for my goods and packing them in my own bags while someone is watching on, I'd better go to ALDI and get a better service.

• Haha
Your friend's item must have been large/bulky judging from the price.

When the purchased item is able to be carried, I wonder what would happen if the purchaser placed the cash on the counter and took his/her item.

The store's management could not allege theft because the item was paid for.
From memory I don't think it was I believe it was a laptop or something else for his office.

You are powerless..... they will go ahead with it like it or not.
Yes they will do it because of the weak Polticians we have. If they had the balls like they should have if they ran for Parliament in the first place, they should have the balls to tell them enough is enough.
Better still tell them that if they don't pull their heads in we will immediately open a Governmenet owned Bank by the name of AUSTRALIA POST. Australia Post is practically set up already to do Bank Transactions it was only the Banks who stopped them from going further and even getting the Ex CEO sacked for just 4 watches (Who were approved by the Board anyway), for drawing a line on the sand against them.

Reactions: magpie1 and IAN3005
Yes they will do it because of the weak Polticians we have. If they had the balls like they should have if they ran for Parliament in the first place, they should have the balls to tell them enough is enough.
Better still tell them that if they don't pull their heads in we will immediately open a Governmenet owned Bank by the name of AUSTRALIA POST. Australia Post is practically set up already to do Bank Transactions it was only the Banks who stopped them from going further and even getting the Ex CEO sacked for just 4 watches (Who were approved by the Board anyway), for drawing a line on the sand against them.
The parliamentarians are only in parliament for the cushy six-figure salary and the indexed pension plus perks. They are full of empty words and false promises.
Wouldn't trust one of them.... lower the shark shite.

Reactions: magpie1 and Kelpie
The parliamentarians are only in parliament for the cushy six-figure salary and the indexed pension plus perks. They are full of empty words and false promises.
Wouldn't trust one of them.... lower the shark shite.
Glad you see the light on what Poltiticians are standing for. Full of rethorics and empty promises, and don't forget the huge ego. Just look at all the promises this current Government, let alone the puppet muster (OUR PM) have made to us during election and as to how many they have kept but increasing our costs of living and increasing taxes and even lowering themselves in removing tax benefits for the lower end income people (LOW INCOME TAX OFFSET) as soon as they got in. The low income tas offset was there to help people with a low income (NOT FOR THE BIG END OF TOWN BUT FOR THE HARD WORKING PEOPLE) to reduce their Tax liabilities at the end of the year and even getting a tax refund, and now it has gone.

Reactions: IAN3005