'Prison-like' security gates at Coles trigger outrage from shoppers

Supermarket giants have been implementing strict security measures in their efforts to curb theft and protect their staff and customers.

However, Coles has been facing a wave of criticism from its customers recently.

The reason? The introduction of 'prison-like' security gates at the exits of their stores.

These gates, which are part of the supermarket's anti-theft measures, have been described as 'triggering' by some shoppers, who claim they make them feel trapped and uncomfortable.

The decision to install these automated gates came in response to a 20 per cent rise in thefts across Coles stores.

SDC 1.png
Automated gates at Coles have sparked outrage among shoppers. Image source: Shutterstock.

One shopper shared her distressing experience on social media, recounting how she was about to leave her local Coles store after paying for her groceries when the gates suddenly closed in on her.

'I finished up scanning and paying for my two items and as I go to leave, this little gate flashes red, like an alarm almost,' she wrote.

'Then the gate slid shut preventing me and some 60-year-old-tradie-looking bloke from leaving.'

The shopper went on to describe how a staff member eventually let her and the man out of the store.

She also mentioned that the man had earlier given her a look as if she was 'stealing'.

'I honestly was kinda triggered by it and struggled to have self-control, to not just kick the barrier or step over it,' she added.

'With how Woolies and Coles have been treating people with price gouging, this just feels like another big slap in the face.'

This comes after it was reported that a senate inquiry was called to investigate the pricing strategies employed by Coles and Woolworths supermarkets—the notorious ‘supermarket duopoly’.

The inquiry is expected to scrutinise whether customers are being subjected to issues such as 'price gouging' during economic hardship, pushing to own brand products, market concentration, corporate profit hikes and the extraction of cost-savings from employees and consumers through automation. You can read more about this story here.

Another customer had a similar experience, stating that she was barred from leaving a store after paying for her groceries until a staff member assisted her.

'I couldn't get out of the self-serve checkout once I had finished my shopping until they [staff] looked at my receipt and pressed a button,' the shopper shared.

In response to the backlash, a Coles spokesperson said that the gates are part of the security measures the supermarket has in place for the safety of staff and customers.

'While most of our customers do the right thing, unfortunately, a small number don't,' the spokesperson said.

'Coles has a range of security measures in place to reduce theft from our stores including CCTV, electronic article surveillance (EAS), and in some stores new smart gate technology that automatically opens as customers make payment for their products.'

The gates are just one of several technologies that Coles has implemented across its stores to combat the rise in theft.

Staff have recently begun to wear body cameras in some locations to reduce incidents of violence towards employees, and overhead cameras have also been installed across stores to track the movements of shoppers.
Key Takeaways
  • Coles shoppers expressed their frustration at security gates installed across the supermarket's stores, describing them as 'triggering' and likening them to prison gates.
  • The gates, which are part of an anti-theft system, have inadvertently caused distress to some customers, with reports of the gates closing in on customers who have already paid for their items.
  • Coles has defended the implementation of the gates, stating that they are necessary security measures intended to protect the safety of staff and customers following a significant increase in thefts.
  • Alongside the new smart gate technology, Coles has introduced other security features such as CCTV, electronic article surveillance (EAS), staff body-worn cameras, and overhead cameras to monitor store activity and reduce shoplifting and violence towards employees.
What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you encountered these security gates at your local Coles? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

• Wow
Reactions: Sockjoan and Ezzy
Sponsored
I haven't encountered these measures. An indication of desperate measures by COLES & WOOLWORTHS to stem theft.

Does seem a bit extreme perhaps but possibly no more than staff having to wear body cameras to protect themselves from customers who may get irate over an article not being available or being caught shoplifting & object to being challenged by a staff member, who are, after all just doing their duty. I wonder how many employees 'turn a blind eye' to shoplifting out of fear or a possible assault or repercussions from a Court attendance & fine to that person.

ln reality there is no excuse for shoplifting with so many Charity groups who give assistance to those people. Anglicare, The Salvation Army & Foodbank to name just a few. Pride may be a reason for not seeking help but sometimes we need to swallow that pride, not only for our own sake but also for our family.

Supermarket giants have been implementing strict security measures in their efforts to curb theft and protect their staff and customers.

The reason? The introduction of 'prison-like' security gates at the exits of their stores.

These gates, which are part of the supermarket's anti-theft measures, have been described as 'triggering' by some shoppers, who claim they make them feel trapped and uncomfortable.

The decision to install these automated gates came in response to a 20 per cent rise in thefts across Coles stores.

View attachment 38089
Automated gates at Coles have sparked outrage among shoppers. Image source: Shutterstock.

One shopper shared her distressing experience on social media, recounting how she was about to leave her local Coles store after paying for her groceries when the gates suddenly closed in on her.

'I finished up scanning and paying for my two items and as I go to leave, this little gate flashes red, like an alarm almost,' she wrote.

'Then the gate slid shut preventing me and some 60-year-old-tradie-looking bloke from leaving.'

The shopper went on to describe how a staff member eventually let her and the man out of the store.

She also mentioned that the man had earlier given her a look as if she was 'stealing'.

'I honestly was kinda triggered by it and struggled to have self-control, to not just kick the barrier or step over it,' she added.

'With how Woolies and Coles have been treating people with price gouging, this just feels like another big slap in the face.'

This comes after it was reported that a senate inquiry was called to investigate the pricing strategies employed by Coles and Woolworths supermarkets—the notorious ‘supermarket duopoly’.

The inquiry is expected to scrutinise whether customers are being subjected to issues such as 'price gouging' during economic hardship, pushing to own brand products, market concentration, corporate profit hikes and the extraction of cost-savings from employees and consumers through automation. You can read more about this story here.

Another customer had a similar experience, stating that she was barred from leaving a store after paying for her groceries until a staff member assisted her.

'I couldn't get out of the self-serve checkout once I had finished my shopping until they [staff] looked at my receipt and pressed a button,' the shopper shared.

In response to the backlash, a Coles spokesperson said that the gates are part of the security measures the supermarket has in place for the safety of staff and customers.

'While most of our customers do the right thing, unfortunately, a small number don't,' the spokesperson said.

'Coles has a range of security measures in place to reduce theft from our stores including CCTV, electronic article surveillance (EAS), and in some stores new smart gate technology that automatically opens as customers make payment for their products.'

The gates are just one of several technologies that Coles has implemented across its stores to combat the rise in theft.

Staff have recently begun to wear body cameras in some locations to reduce incidents of violence towards employees, and overhead cameras have also been installed across stores to track the movements of shoppers.
Key Takeaways

• Coles shoppers expressed their frustration at security gates installed across the supermarket's stores, describing them as 'triggering' and likening them to prison gates.
  • The gates, which are part of an anti-theft system, have inadvertently caused distress to some customers, with reports of the gates closing in on customers who have already paid for their items.
  • Coles has defended the implementation of the gates, stating that they are necessary security measures intended to protect the safety of staff and customers following a significant increase in thefts.
  • Alongside the new smart gate technology, Coles has introduced other security features such as CCTV, electronic article surveillance (EAS), staff body-worn cameras, and overhead cameras to monitor store activity and reduce shoplifting and violence towards employees.
What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you encountered these security gates at your local Coles? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.
Wish people would get over this as the security that is implemented is to stop shop lifting that is helping to raise the cost of our groceries. If you aren't going to thieve from Coles you shouldn't be offended by the security measures.

View attachment 38089

Key Takeaways

I've often encountered these gates and need staff members to help me leave every time. I have to use a mobility scooter when shopping and it is wider than the gates allow! Each time the gates close either as I reach them or when I'm half way through them! I've paid for my purchases each time as I always do, but still these silly gates trap me instore until at least 2 sometimes 4 or more shop attendants can get them open to allow me to leave! NOT HAPPY COLES!

I haven't encountered these measures. An indication of desperate measures by COLES & WOOLWORTHS to stem theft.

Does seem a bit extreme perhaps but possibly no more than staff having to wear body cameras to protect themselves from customers who may get irate over an article not being available or being caught shoplifting & object to being challenged by a staff member, who are, after all just doing their duty. I wonder how many employees 'turn a blind eye' to shoplifting out of fear or a possible assault or repercussions from a Court attendance & fine to that person.

ln reality there is no excuse for shoplifting with so many Charity groups who give assistance to those people. Anglicare, The Salvation Army & Foodbank to name just a few. Pride may be a reason for not seeking help but sometimes we need to swallow that pride, not only for our own sake but also for our family.
There are two Coles in my area within a kilometre of each other. One with and one without these dumb gates .

I will put this thing to the test by making purchases at the gateless Coles then making more purchases at the gated one.

Let's see if gates lock me in. If I'm locked in, I will be armed with the receipt from the gateless one as proof of purchase. Then I will embark on a 60 second tirade at the store security for all to hear and see.

Can't wait for the fun to start!

• Haha
Reactions: DLHM and Bullwinkle

View attachment 38089

Key Takeaways

Not only Cole’s staff woollies watch you al the time even when you pay for the items you are labelled a thief the minte you enter the store with employees looking at everything you do to even after you have paid then wonder why they get abused by disgruntled customers heads up Cole’s a woollies you treat the customers like thieves people will have no rest for your staff

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Wish people would get over this as the security that is implemented is to stop shop lifting that is helping to raise the cost of our groceries. If you aren't going to thieve from Coles you shouldn't be offended by the security measures.
Agree, I couldn’t care what security they implement. If you don’t like it, shop somewhere else and stop moaning.

View attachment 38089

Key Takeaways

Seriously! Get a life! You only feel like a thief if you have something to hide also products purchased from another store can set the gates off. My question is wheres the rest of the story...what set the gates off?? Instead of making yourself look like an idiot next time just breath!

I've often encountered these gates and need staff members to help me leave every time. I have to use a mobility scooter when shopping and it is wider than the gates allow! Each time the gates close either as I reach them or when I'm half way through them! I've paid for my purchases each time as I always do, but still these silly gates trap me instore until at least 2 sometimes 4 or more shop attendants can get them open to allow me to leave!

View attachment 38089

Key Takeaways

Even access to the one-and-only quick service checkout at our local Coles has been blocked by a rope barrier so that customers are compelled to walk through the self-serve area to reach it.

If you have nothing to hide, then no need to get up in arms about another security measure!! We can all thank those who are less honest, as to why these measures are in place.
Maybe those who are whinging should shop somewhere else.

Give it a rest with this nonsense. It's just some sliding gates. Big deal.🙄

I hope these people never go to the UK. All supermarkets have gates like these as you go in and out of the stores. Some expensive items like steak are in locked plastic boxes which you have to get staff to undo. Also all stores have security guards walking round and at the front of the store watching the CCTV monitors. And people are worried about this little gate 😂😂😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-12-23-09-04-31-52_b72a20be883aec8a014bd2b7c7038e87~2.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-12-23-09-04-31-52_b72a20be883aec8a014bd2b7c7038e87~2.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 0
Exactly, how many more times are people going to keep whinging about security measures.
Grow up, in this day and age these measures are necessary.
So one silly woman "felt like a prisoner". Get real, in a big supermarket. Prisoners would think they were free with that much room.
Some people just need to get a life,
how would they cope if some big disaster should actually befall them, when they make such mountains out of molehills

Not only Cole’s staff woollies watch you al the time even when you pay for the items you are labelled a thief the minte you enter the store with employees looking at everything you do to even after you have paid then wonder why they get abused by disgruntled customers heads up Cole’s a woollies you treat the customers like thieves people will have no rest for your staff
Have you ever thought about consulting a Dr about your paranoia,??

There are two Coles in my area within a kilometre of each other. One with and one without these dumb gates .

I will put this thing to the test by making purchases at the gateless Coles then making more purchases at the gated one.

Let's see if gates lock me in. If I'm locked in, I will be armed with the receipt from the gateless one as proof of purchase. Then I will embark on a 60 second tirade at the store security for all to hear and see.

Can't wait for the fun to start!
Really Veggiepatch. Sorry I have to
disagree with you on this one.
That's a little childish, isn't it??

Reactions: Wendy
Really Veggiepatch. Sorry I have to
disagree with you on this one.
That's a little childish, isn't it??
It's to prove a point. I've taken security tagged items into another shop without triggering any alarms. I don't know if such devices are single use or use different detection frequencies. I'm not an expert on security technology by any means.

Let's just call it a social experiment. I'm just on the bus now to conduct my research. I'll check back in a couple of hours. Bye!

It's to prove a point. I've taken security tagged items into another shop without triggering any alarms. I don't know if such devices are single use or use different detection frequencies. I'm not an expert on security technology by any means.

Let's just call it a social experiment. I'm just on the bus now to conduct my research. I'll check back in a couple of hours. Bye!
One thing I'll say about you Veggiepatch, you certainly make me laugh.
Your comments about Dandenong always remind me of my younger years when I worked there, sounds like a completely different place now.
Moved to WA when I was 27 and have never wanted to leave
Merry Xmas, have a good day
🎍🎀

Omg are you feeling a little insecure or GUILTY.because that's exactly what your reply screams and also speaking from experience thieves come in all ages, shapes, sizes, genders, colours...is it any wonder staff look at everyone as a possible suspect??

Reactions: marni