Royal couple's friend shares Prince William's and Princess Catherine's struggles amid cancer diagnosis

The Royal Family, often seen as the epitome of strength and resilience, is not immune to the trials and tribulations that life throws at us all.

Recently, it has come to light that Prince William and Princess Catherine, the Prince and Princess of Wales, are enduring a private battle that has tested their fortitude in ways unimaginable to the public eye.

Behind the stoic appearances and the poised engagements, the couple is reportedly 'going through hell' as they navigate the turbulent waters of Princess Catherine's cancer diagnosis.

This revelation sent ripples of concern and sympathy throughout the world, as admirers of the Royal couple grapple with the news.

Screenshot 2024-05-06 072609.jpg
Prince William and Princess Catherine were reportedly privately coping with her cancer diagnosis. Credits: Instagram / The Prince and Princess of Wales

Amaia Arrieta, a designer and long-time friend of the family, has been by their side, styling the Royal children for over a decade.

She has witnessed firsthand the challenges they've faced since the diagnosis.

‘I’m heartbroken at the moment,’ she expressed.

‘I think they are going through hell.’

‘I hope they will be back. It’s really personal,’ Ms Arrieta added.

Despite the personal struggle, Prince William has maintained a brave front.

During a recent public engagement at the James’s Place charity in Newcastle, a royal fan asked him about the well-being of his family, ‘Do you mind if I ask how your wife and children are?’

His response, ‘We’re all doing well, thank you,’ was measured and composed.

Even when pressed further about Catherine's condition, he just answered again, ‘We’re all doing well.’

The world was taken aback in March when Princess Catherine made the sombre announcement of her diagnosis in a two-minute video.

She spoke candidly about the 'early stages' of preventive chemotherapy treatment that she was undergoing, following the unexpected discovery of cancer during an operation initially believed to be for a non-cancerous condition.

‘In January, I underwent major abdominal surgery in London and at the time, it was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful, however, tests after the operation found cancer had been present,’ Princess Catherine narrated.

‘My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventive chemotherapy and I’m now in the early stages of that treatment.’

Princess Catherine also mentioned that the news came as a ‘huge shock’.

‘William and I have been doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family. As you can imagine, this has taken time. It has taken me time to recover from major surgery in order to start my treatment,’ she continued.

‘But most importantly, it has taken us time to explain everything to George, Charlotte, and Louis in a way that’s appropriate for them and to reassure them that I’m going to be okay.’

‘As I’ve said to them, I am well and getting stronger every day by focusing on the things that will help me heal in my mind, body, and spirits,’ Princess Catherine added.

Despite Prince William and Princess Catherine's private struggles, they continue to navigate their royal duties with grace and resilience.

This recent news shed light on the challenges they face behind closed doors, highlighting the immense pressure and scrutiny they endure.

Despite this, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge maintain a strong focus on their family, as evidenced by their heartfelt gestures such as the release of a new photo of Prince Louis on his birthday.

This glimpse into their personal lives amidst the public spotlight offers a reminder of their unwavering commitment to their roles as parents and members of the royal family.
Key Takeaways

• Prince William and Princess Catherine were reportedly privately coping with her cancer diagnosis and the related challenges.
  • A trusted friend of the couple shared that the road has been difficult since the diagnosis.
  • Princess Catherine announced her diagnosis publicly and is undergoing preventive chemotherapy after cancer was discovered during a separate surgery.
  • Prince William and Princess Catherine have been managing the situation privately for their family's sake and have taken time to explain it to their children.
We extend our heartfelt thoughts to Prince William, Princess Catherine, and their children during this difficult time.

Their struggle is a stark reminder that no one, regardless of status or position, is exempt from life's most challenging moments.

How have you navigated such private struggles while maintaining a sense of normalcy for those around you? Let's open up the conversation and support each other in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
More bloody Gutter Press. Sensationalising the obvious. Nobody needs to be told that a family who is dealing with cancer is struggling. They don't need to be hounded by journalists who can find nothing else noteworthy to report on. You have absolutely no common decency.

Sorry the Princess of Wales if going through cancer treatment, but come on.. they will have the best of everything, the best doctors, the best available medication, the best of car. they won’t have to worry about the financial burden on their family, while she under goes treatment.., so many more people in the world going through exactly the same, but without their privledge..

As a breast cancer survivor, I learned the hard way that it is essential to find somewhere that you can be entirely honest about what you are feeling. I simply put on a brave face and pretended that I was “fine”. The result of this was that when my chemotherapy treatment ended and I no longer had the safety net of hospital visits where I felt something was being done to get rid of the cancer, despite longing for that day to come I suddenly felt adrift and very alone. I had an emotional breakdown and it was only after I found a support group where I was allowed to be a total mess, that my recovery really began. Knowing that I had somewhere to explore my feelings of grief, shattered confidence, fear and anger on a weekly basis meant I could then relate to my family and friends in a way that I felt didn’t burden them. I hope that Princess Catherine has one or more people she can talk to when she has days that feel unbearable.

Sorry the Princess of Wales if going through cancer treatment, but come on.. they will have the best of everything, the best doctors, the best available medication, the best of car. they won’t have to worry about the financial burden on their family, while she under goes treatment.., so many more people in the world going through exactly the same, but without their privledge..
Priviledge, that's life. But in the case of cancer, like many other illnesses, it does not discriminate against gender, age, race or social status. It is a debilitating illnesses that throws every family's life into turmoil. And don't forget the 3 children involved. They may be better off than many, but the cancer treatment she receives will more than likely be the same as thousands of others less well off who are in need of it. I know, not all countries are equal - but that's life too. What you have written makes me feel you are very bitter, and that won't make for your best life.

As a breast cancer survivor, I learned the hard way that it is essential to find somewhere that you can be entirely honest about what you are feeling. I simply put on a brave face and pretended that I was “fine”. The result of this was that when my chemotherapy treatment ended and I no longer had the safety net of hospital visits where I felt something was being done to get rid of the cancer, despite longing for that day to come I suddenly felt adrift and very alone. I had an emotional breakdown and it was only after I found a support group where I was allowed to be a total mess, that my recovery really began. Knowing that I had somewhere to explore my feelings of grief, shattered confidence, fear and anger on a weekly basis meant I could then relate to my family and friends in a way that I felt didn’t burden them. I hope that Princess Catherine has one or more people she can talk to when she has days that feel unbearable.
So sorry for your terrible experience and wishing you a much brighter future.

So sorry for your terrible experience and wishing you a much brighter future.
I can personally relate to your experience, once the chemotherapy and or radiation treatments have ended it is easy to feel that you have been set adrift, the routine of the seemingly endless hospital visits for the treatment, as much as you want it to end, when it does you start to wonder "What next" and where do I go now, who can I ask for help from even though asking for help; for me personally, that has always been very difficult. My currant cancer diagnosis is completely different to the first one which was 2 years ago, the 2nd cancer is not related to the first and this latest one is considered to be not curable, in other words it is terminal. because of this I now have a team of people caring for me, so many in fact that I have difficulty keeping track of them and remembering which medical team they belong too everyone is just so caring and supportive of me that I sometimes feel guilty about all the time and resources being given so freely to me. Once I admitted to myself that I needed help and someone to talk with about how I felt, it became easier to accept that I probably have limited time left to me now. There is now always someone to talk to, whether it be a personal friend, family member or a nurse. Being able to discuss my feelings with people who understand makes everything so much easier. I am currently considered to be in remmission as the last treatment was succesful in removing the initial tumour, however there will be more, where they will appear is the surprise waiting for me and the Oncologists, I guess knowing I have a surprise waiting for me is something to look forward too at least !!

Why does the media not leave them alone , the more talk , suggestions and speculation , it makes it very hard for them what they are going through as a family as people make up more stories .
Some people find it hard to realise what they might be going through and they are constant in the limelight as well. Kate has to follow instructions from her medical team and when the time is right they may give more information.

I hear you - I always had to be a hero while going through the treatment and never felt I could unravel safely- to make matters worse a family friend who was also diagnosed the same time I was but with a different cancer, died from it and I now know how awful survivor guilt feels😞

Please let me know your name and I will include you in my prayers.
Thank you again, all prayers are welcome I will add you to the list of the many people who include me in their prayers every night/day, maybe the Universe is listening. my name is the same as the name I use for this forum, Gaena
xxx

• Love
Reactions: Tervueren
I can personally relate to your experience, once the chemotherapy and or radiation treatments have ended it is easy to feel that you have been set adrift, the routine of the seemingly endless hospital visits for the treatment, as much as you want it to end, when it does you start to wonder "What next" and where do I go now, who can I ask for help from even though asking for help; for me personally, that has always been very difficult. My currant cancer diagnosis is completely different to the first one which was 2 years ago, the 2nd cancer is not related to the first and this latest one is considered to be not curable, in other words it is terminal. because of this I now have a team of people caring for me, so many in fact that I have difficulty keeping track of them and remembering which medical team they belong too everyone is just so caring and supportive of me that I sometimes feel guilty about all the time and resources being given so freely to me. Once I admitted to myself that I needed help and someone to talk with about how I felt, it became easier to accept that I probably have limited time left to me now. There is now always someone to talk to, whether it be a personal friend, family member or a nurse. Being able to discuss my feelings with people who understand makes everything so much easier. I am currently considered to be in remmission as the last treatment was succesful in removing the initial tumour, however there will be more, where they will appear is the surprise waiting for me and the Oncologists, I guess knowing I have a surprise waiting for me is something to look forward too at least !!
Blessings 🪽

So, so sorry to hear this. You're not alone, we're thinking of you. I had cancer 20yrs ago.

• Love
Reactions: Gaena and Jo Piper3