Prince Philip allegedly wanted to sue Netflix’s The Crown

Netflix's The Crown has been mired in controversy since it first began streaming, with many unhappy over how the popular show has dramatised events and members of the royal family.

And while the hit show is no stranger to controversy, the latest accusations levelled against it have come from a very unexpected source – the late Prince Philip himself.

According to a royal expert, the Duke of Edinburgh was so ‘upset’ by the way his sister's passing was depicted in one storyline of The Crown that he spoke to his lawyers and considered taking legal action against Netflix.

Allegedly, the late Prince felt as if the show was blaming him for the death of Princess Cecilie.

Optimized-shutterstock_1624504795 (1).jpg
Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s faces printed on a postage stamp. Credit: Shutterstock

Royal Historian and Author Hugo Vickers told reporters: ‘I know Prince Philip consulted his lawyer about it to ask “what can I do about it?”.’

According to the expert, Prince Philip was reported to be ‘very upset about the way that was portrayed’.

‘He was human. He could be hurt like anybody else,’ shared Mr Vickers.

The late Princess Cecilie, who was only 26 at the time of her passing, was one of the 11 passengers who sadly lost their lives during that tragic day.

Their aeroplane crashed against the roof of a building, before being thrown several metres away. A newborn baby was found in the wreckage alongside the princess, who was believed to have given birth during the flight. Her husband and two young sons were also found with her near the Belgian city of Ostend.

princess cecilie.jpg
Princess Cecilie of Greece and Denmark, Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine. Credit: Pinterest

It is believed that Prince Philip felt ‘profound shock’ when he was called into his headmaster’s office (he was in a boarding school at the time) when he was told his sister had died.

In season two of The Crown, Cecilie was portrayed to decide to fly from Germany to London because of Philip (16 at the time), who was having problems at school. But this was not the truth.

In another scene, Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark says: ‘I’m surprised he dare show himself here. Had it not been for Philip and his indiscipline, she would have never have taken that flight. It’s true, isn’t it boy?’

‘You’re the reason we’re all here burying my favourite child. Get him out of here.’

The fictionalised scenes were first broadcast in 2017 and were not aired with a fictional disclaimer.

According to a close friend, Prince Philip was ‘so upset’, he ended up contacting Royal Lawyers from Farrer & Co to discuss what could be done over the scenes. Ultimately, he did not pursue a case against the show’s creators.

This comes after a string of controversies against The Crown, which has faced accusations of broadcasting sensationalised storylines in the past.

The creators were also under fire over scenes alluding that Prince Philip had an affair with a female friend.
Key Takeaways

• Prince Philip was allegedly so ‘upset’ by The Crown's portrayal of his sister's death that he considered taking legal action.
  • The show suggested that the Duke of Edinburgh was to blame for Cecilie’s passing.
  • The princess’s death was caused by a tragic plane crash that claimed the life of all its passengers, including her newborn child, two young sons, and husband.
  • The Crown has been embroiled in several controversies since its debut, with many accusing the show of sensationalising real-life events.
Well, members, what can you say about this story? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Netflix's The Crown has been mired in controversy since it first began streaming, with many unhappy over how the popular show has dramatised events and members of the royal family.

And while the hit show is no stranger to controversy, the latest accusations levelled against it have come from a very unexpected source – the late Prince Philip himself.

According to a royal expert, the Duke of Edinburgh was so ‘upset’ by the way his sister's passing was depicted in one storyline of The Crown that he spoke to his lawyers and considered taking legal action against Netflix.

Allegedly, the late Prince felt as if the show was blaming him for the death of Princess Cecilie.

View attachment 8993
Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s faces printed on a postage stamp. Credit: Shutterstock

Royal Historian and Author Hugo Vickers told reporters: ‘I know Prince Philip consulted his lawyer about it to ask “what can I do about it?”.’

According to the expert, Prince Philip was reported to be ‘very upset about the way that was portrayed’.

The late Princess Cecilie, who was only 26 at the time of her passing, was one of the 11 passengers who sadly lost their lives during that tragic day.

Their aeroplane crashed against the roof of a building, before being thrown several metres away. A newborn baby was found in the wreckage alongside the princess, who was believed to have given birth during the flight. Her husband and two young sons were also found with her near the Belgian city of Ostend.

View attachment 8994
Princess Cecilie of Greece and Denmark, Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine. Credit: Pinterest

It is believed that Prince Philip felt ‘profound shock’ when he was called into his headmaster’s office (he was in a boarding school at the time) when he was told his sister had died.

In season two of The Crown, Cecilie was portrayed to decide to fly from Germany to London because of Philip (16 at the time), who was having problems at school. But this was not the truth.

In another scene, Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark says: ‘I’m surprised he dare show himself here. Had it not been for Philip and his indiscipline, she would have never have taken that flight. It’s true, isn’t it boy?’

‘You’re the reason we’re all here burying my favourite child. Get him out of here.’

The fictionalised scenes were first broadcast in 2017 and were not aired with a fictional disclaimer.

According to a close friend, Prince Philip was ‘so upset’, he ended up contacting Royal Lawyers from Farrer & Co to discuss what could be done over the scenes. Ultimately, he did not pursue a case against the show’s creators.

This comes after a string of controversies against The Crown, which has faced accusations of broadcasting sensationalised storylines in the past.

The creators were also under fire over scenes alluding that Prince Philip had an affair with a female friend.
Key Takeaways

• Prince Philip was allegedly so ‘upset’ by The Crown's portrayal of his sister's death that he considered taking legal action.
  • The show suggested that the Duke of Edinburgh was to blame for Cecilie’s passing.
  • The princess’s death was caused by a tragic plane crash that claimed the life of all its passengers, including her newborn child, two young sons, and husband.
  • The Crown has been embroiled in several controversies since its debut, with many accusing the show of sensationalising real-life events.
Well, members, what can you say about this story? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
In no way am I a monarchist, but why can't they just leave them alone! Imagine if they were doing this to your family.

I actually enjoyed the Crown and like it or not alot of it is true.

Please it's a known fact that Prunce Philip did have affairs and the Queen knew about most of them . I remember my grandmother , who loved the Queen said she could have had better that Prince Philip was known to have mistresses not only in the UK but also when he went abroad.

I just watched season 5 and I remember so much of that happening.

People can deny it all they want and think the Royals are untouchable and saints but they are far from it.

Last edited:

Please it's a known fact that Prunce Philip did have affairs and the Queen knew about most of them . I remember my grandmother , who loved the Queen said she could have had better that Prince Philip was known to have mistresses not only in the UK but also when he went abroad.

People can deny it all they want ad think the Royals are untouchable and saints but they are far from it.
We are currently watching season 5 and I am really not enjoying it that much at all. In the first 4 they went to great lengths to match the actors to the royals. In series 5 the only ones you can look at and say for sure who they are depicting is Diana and Camilla. The Queen is being depicted as really old and frumpy along with Philip. Lets see how the rest of the series pans out. Personally I really don't understand why they change the actors with each two series. Any from the first four would be a lot better than who they chose for series 5. My view only.

Reactions: Ricci and Zoya
We are currently watching season 5 and I am really not enjoying it that much at all. In the first 4 they went to great lengths to match the actors to the royals. In series 5 the only ones you can look at and say for sure who they are depicting is Diana and Camilla. The Queen is being depicted as really old and frumpy along with Philip. Lets see how the rest of the series pans out. Personally I really don't understand why they change the actors with each two series. Any from the first four would be a lot better than who they chose for series 5. My view only.
I totally agree I thought the actress playing the Queen looked nothing like her nor did the actress playing Anne but you would think Camilla was playing herself and good resemblance with Diana.

I was expecting more to be covered in season 5

Reactions: Ricci
I am disgusted with the entire series most of which I have watched, find it far from the truth, I am in a position to know the real truth in many of the cases portrayed in particular Prince Phillip who did enjoy the company of the ladies and did flirt but I can tell you positively that he did not cheat on the
queen at any stage of their relationship and she was very well aware of each of the untrue claims.

I am disgusted with the entire series most of which I have watched, find it far from the truth, I am in a position to know the real truth in many of the cases portrayed in particular Prince Phillip who did enjoy the company of the ladies and did flirt but I can tell you positively that he did not cheat on the
queen at any stage of their relationship and she was very well aware of each of the untrue claims.
Did you know them personally? Were you with them 🤔 that's the only way someone would know the truth
Was Diana a liar?

There is a good book by Sarah Bradford who said about Prince Philip

Biographer Sarah Bradford had no doubts when she plainly labeled Philip an adulterer in her 2011 Elizabeth II: Her Life in Our Times. “The Duke of Edinburgh has had affairs ... full-blown affairs and more than one," she wrote. "He has affairs and the queen accepts it. I think she thinks that’s how men are."

Sarah Bradford's absorbing and authoritative portrait of the Queen's life and sixty-year reign - complete and unabridged. The Queen's story is our history: she was not born to be Queen but, a media star since the age of three, she has been the most famous woman in the world for all of our lives. In this definitive account, acclaimed Royal author Sarah Bradford offers a vivid window into the key moments of British and world history during the Queen's sixty-year reign, a mixture of happiness and crisis, but one defined by her extraordinary love and commitment to Britain and the Commonwealth. Drawing on a unique collection of archives and interviews, interwoven with the latest research, she gives us fascinating insights into Royal life, from wars and political scandal, to the death of Diana and the triumph of Prince William's wedding to Catherine Middleton.

This is the biography the Queen deserves: remarkable, warm and, above all, inspiring.

I totally agree with you. They have aged the Queen and Prince Philip way beyond their years whilst supposedly in their early 60's. Will continue to view,but not enjoying it nearly as much as the first four seasons. Just wish we could get something decent to watch on free to air, sick of the rubbish we are getting dished up .

I have not watched it as I don't have Netflix so I can't really comment but this new season sure seems to have divided people.

View attachment 8993

View attachment 8994

Key Takeaways

It goes to show that producers of this show don’t let the facts and feelings of the grieving family get in the way of what they consider a good story. Shame on them!

People can deny it all they want and think the Royals are untouchable and saints but they are far from it.
Totally agree

Did you know them personally? Were you with them 🤔 that's the only way someone would know the truth
Was Diana a liar?
I started out kind of liking Diana when her and Charles got married....Avidly watched and rewatched the wedding but then my liking her turned to dislike for some reason and it was before they had children. And now in death God rest her soul I dislike her even more.

View attachment 8993

View attachment 8994

Key Takeaways

He was the royal family member who aske the "what colour will it be" question referring to Harry and Meghans first child.... he was unfortunately a arrogant and a racist upper cruster