Prince Harry reveals ‘biggest struggle’ after Princess Diana’s death in documentary

Tragedy is something most of us can relate to in life, and Prince Harry is no different.

For public figures, the death of a loved one can be especially difficult and overwhelming, as the emotional pain and grief are intensified by the glaring presence of the media.

This was the experience of Prince Harry when his beloved mother, Diana, died in a tragic car accident in 1997.

Much has been said about the public's grieving for the late royal. Over the years, Harry has also addressed his struggles with mental health as a 12-year-old boy after his mother's passing.

And recently, the former royal once again spoke about this subject in an episode of his new Netflix show, Heart of Invictus. The show examines the lives of injured and ill veterans participating in the Paralympic-style Invictus Games.

Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 12.50.10 PM.png
Prince Harry has hit out at the Royal Family, saying he had no support in the wake of his mother's death in a new Netflix docu-series. Credit: YouTube/Netflix.

Speaking of his mental state following his mother's death, Harry shared, 'After that, there was an unravelling, and the trigger to me was returning from Afghanistan. But the stuff that was coming up was from 1997—from the age of 12.'

'Losing my mum at such a young age… the trauma that I had, I was never really aware of.'

He recalled suppressing his emotions 'like most youngsters would have done', but when it all came crashing down on him, he said he was 'bouncing off the walls'.

'I'm feeling everything as opposed to being numb.'

He described the 'biggest struggle' he faced was the lack of a support structure during that traumatic time.

'I didn't have that support structure, that network or that expert advice to identify what was actually going on with me,' he said.

'Unfortunately, like most of us, the first time you really consider therapy is when you're lying on the floor in the foetal position, probably wishing that you dealt with some of this stuff previously.'

Tip
The SDC put together a list of mental health hotlines. You can find the full list here.

Established by Prince Harry, the Invictus Games stand as an international multi-sport event that debuted in 2014. The games are intended for wounded, injured, and sick servicemen and women, encompassing active-duty members and veterans.

The term 'Invictus', meaning 'unconquered' in Latin, was deliberately selected to symbolise the indomitable fighting spirit of these service personnel, showcasing what they can achieve even after facing injuries.

The next contest is set to be held next month in Dusseldorf, Germany.

Credit: Netflix.

In an earlier episode of Heart of Invictus, Harry spoke to the athletes and revealed conversations he's had with son Archie about what the youngster wants to be when he grows up.

He told the crowd: 'When I talk to my son Archie about what he wants to be when he grows up, some days it's an astronaut, other days it's a pilot.'

'But what I remind him is no matter what you want to be when you grow up, it's your character that matters most. And nothing would make his mum and me prouder than to see him have the character of what we see before us today—you.'

Heart of Invictus airs almost three years after Harry and Meghan inked a multimillion-dollar deal with Netflix, rumoured to be worth £88 million.

Nonetheless, experts have expressed concerns that the new series might face challenges, much like several other business endeavours attempted by the Sussexes. A case in point is the Archetypes podcast, which initially premiered on Spotify but was ultimately discontinued.

Royal experts critical of the pair claimed that the podcast's cancellation resulted from the public being 'fed up' with the couple.

Key Takeaways

• Prince Harry admitted there was a lack of support in the royal family after his mother's death as his mental health took a turn for the worse.
  • Prince Harry made the revelation in his Netflix show Heart of Invictus.
  • Harry revealed his personal struggles after the return from his 2011 Afghanistan tour, citing that he was 'bouncing off walls' and wished he had dealt with his 'trauma' earlier.
  • The show, which focuses on the lives of injured and ill military veterans participating in the Paralympic-style Invictus Games, had Harry openly discussing his mental health and his conversations with his son Archie about his future.
  • This comes after Harry and Meghan signed an £88 million deal with Netflix, amidst other failed business ventures by the Sussexes, including the axe of Meghan's Archetypes podcast by Spotify.

Members, have you been watching this new documentary? What’s your reaction to how Prince Harry opened up about handling his mother’s death? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.

Sponsored
Tragedy is something most of us can relate to in life, and Prince Harry is no different.

For public figures, the death of a loved one can be especially difficult and overwhelming, as the emotional pain and grief are intensified by the glaring presence of the media.

This was the experience of Prince Harry when his beloved mother, Diana, died in a tragic car accident in 1997.

Much has been said about the public's grieving for the late royal. Over the years, Harry has also addressed his struggles with mental health as a 12-year-old boy after his mother's passing.

And recently, the former royal once again spoke about this subject in an episode of his new Netflix show, Heart of Invictus. The show examines the lives of injured and ill veterans participating in the Paralympic-style Invictus Games.

View attachment 28763
Prince Harry has hit out at the Royal Family, saying he had no support in the wake of his mother's death in a new Netflix docu-series. Credit: YouTube/Netflix.

Speaking of his mental state following his mother's death, Harry shared, 'After that, there was an unravelling, and the trigger to me was returning from Afghanistan. But the stuff that was coming up was from 1997—from the age of 12.'

'Losing my mum at such a young age… the trauma that I had, I was never really aware of.'

He recalled suppressing his emotions 'like most youngsters would have done', but when it all came crashing down on him, he said he was 'bouncing off the walls'.

He described the 'biggest struggle' he faced was the lack of a support structure during that traumatic time.

'I didn't have that support structure, that network or that expert advice to identify what was actually going on with me,' he said.

'Unfortunately, like most of us, the first time you really consider therapy is when you're lying on the floor in the foetal position, probably wishing that you dealt with some of this stuff previously.'

Tip
The SDC put together a list of mental health hotlines. You can find the full list here.

Established by Prince Harry, the Invictus Games stand as an international multi-sport event that debuted in 2014. The games are intended for wounded, injured, and sick servicemen and women, encompassing active-duty members and veterans.

The term 'Invictus', meaning 'unconquered' in Latin, was deliberately selected to symbolise the indomitable fighting spirit of these service personnel, showcasing what they can achieve even after facing injuries.

In an earlier episode of Heart of Invictus, Harry spoke to the athletes and revealed conversations he's had with son Archie about what the youngster wants to be when he grows up.

He told the crowd: 'When I talk to my son Archie about what he wants to be when he grows up, some days it's an astronaut, other days it's a pilot.'

'But what I remind him is no matter what you want to be when you grow up, it's your character that matters most. And nothing would make his mum and me prouder than to see him have the character of what we see before us today—you.'

Heart of Invictus airs almost three years after Harry and Meghan inked a multimillion-dollar deal with Netflix, rumoured to be worth £88 million.

Nonetheless, experts have expressed concerns that the new series might face challenges, much like several other business endeavours attempted by the Sussexes. A case in point is the Archetypes podcast, which initially premiered on Spotify but was ultimately discontinued.

Royal experts critical of the pair claimed that the podcast's cancellation resulted from the public being 'fed up' with the couple.

Key Takeaways

• Prince Harry admitted there was a lack of support in the royal family after his mother's death as his mental health took a turn for the worse.
  • Harry revealed his personal struggles after the return from his 2011 Afghanistan tour, citing that he was 'bouncing off walls' and wished he had dealt with his 'trauma' earlier.
  • The show, which focuses on the lives of injured and ill military veterans participating in the Paralympic-style Invictus Games, had Harry openly discussing his mental health and his conversations with his son Archie about his future.
  • This comes after Harry and Meghan signed an £88 million deal with Netflix, amidst other failed business ventures by the Sussexes, including the axe of Meghan's Archetypes podcast by Spotify.

Members, have you been watching this new documentary? What’s your reaction to how Prince Harry opened up about handling his mother’s death? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.

It's not the mentals he suffers from, but rather the menstrals.

View attachment 28763

Tip

Key Takeaways

What a load of crap from a real dog only interested in rubbishing his family to make even more money our of his engineered lies knowing full well that the Royal Family can/will not reply to this bludgers fantasies.
About time Harry and Megan woke up to the fact that there pasts are far from clean and that Harries in particular makes interesting readings such as his drug abuse, dressing up as Hitler, naked parties etc etc and Harry has also forgotten that his dear precious mother Diana was also allegedly involved with other men while married to King Charles 111. I strongly believe that the Royal titles Harry and Megan flout in their publicity stunts should be withdrawn seeing that it was their decision to leave the Royal family.
I am fully aware that many may disagree with me but I am sick and tired of the fawning that occurs around Harry and Megan, neither of whom could hold a candle to Prince William and Princess Kate.

View attachment 28763

Tip

Key Takeaways

Poor little rich boy snob
What a shame he had such a bad mummy running around with all sorts of bad rich men
Doesn’t your heart go out to such poor rich spoilt brats out to make a name for himself? Poor spoilt princey
Can’t stand such stupid snobs

I am amazed at the comments on here by some members. saying things about Princess Diana going out with men while married to Charles. How soon people forget that Camilla chose Diana because she was young and could be easily duped while she and Charles could continue their affair. As far as I’m concerned Harry is the most honest royal of them all. I can still hear my mum saying ‘if you can’t say something nice say nothing at all’. Good way to live in my opinion.

Oh, how about some empathy? I don’t for a moment condone Harry and Megan’s behaviour in recent years, but I and my two younger brothers were left bereft when our mother died when we were 16, 14 and 8 and our father three years later, and I can tell you how that experience affects your life going forward. It changes forever the person you might otherwise have become; it affects your mental health; it affects your relationships with remaining family members, especially if they won’t or can’t help you deal with your loss; it affects the way you deal with further trauma; the sadness wells up from time to time, with or without specific triggers; it never leaves you. I feel so lucky that I found a good man to go through life with. My brothers weren’t quite so fortunate, and have both struggled to some degree. Please be less unkind in your comments.

What a load of crap from a real dog only interested in rubbishing his family to make even more money our of his engineered lies knowing full well that the Royal Family can/will not reply to this bludgers fantasies.
About time Harry and Megan woke up to the fact that there pasts are far from clean and that Harries in particular makes interesting readings such as his drug abuse, dressing up as Hitler, naked parties etc etc and Harry has also forgotten that his dear precious mother Diana was also allegedly involved with other men while married to King Charles 111. I strongly believe that the Royal titles Harry and Megan flout in their publicity stunts should be withdrawn seeing that it was their decision to leave the Royal family.
I am fully aware that many may disagree with me but I am sick and tired of the fawning that occurs around Harry and Megan, neither of whom could hold a candle to Prince William and Princess Kate.
Totally agree with you. "Poor me" Harry - what a wimp - shut the f,,k up and get a job you moron Harry - sent your missus out to get a job to keep you in the luxury you think you are entitled to.

• Angry
Reactions: Trudi
I am amazed at the comments on here by some members. saying things about Princess Diana going out with men while married to Charles. How soon people forget that Camilla chose Diana because she was young and could be easily duped while she and Charles could continue their affair. As far as I’m concerned Harry is the most honest royal of them all. I can still hear my mum saying ‘if you can’t say something nice say nothing at all’. Good way to live in my opinion.

Reactions: croz
Harry’s mummy went out all the time with her boyfriends whilst she was still married
All Harry is doing is raking up her memory

View attachment 28763

Tip

Key Takeaways

stick to the invictus and you will win back, maybe. carry on like you are and you will certainly not have any sympathy. you are not the only one to have lost a parent. think of all the tragedies that happen world wide, children left parentless. OH! just get over yourself and grow up.

maybe if your mother had not been flitting around with certain males she would still be here.

View attachment 28763

Tip

Key Takeaways