Prince Harry declines invitation to attend Prince Philip’s thanksgiving services only to fly out to the Netherlands — "slap in the face to the Queen"

Fresh reports have revealed that the Queen did not learn of Prince Harry's intention to skip his late grandfather Prince Philip's thanksgiving services until only a quarter of an hour before the news was shared around the globe.

It was said, however, that a few weeks after it was reported that Harry declined the invitation to attend the thanksgiving services, he announced that he would be flying out to the Netherlands for the Invictus Games — an international sporting event founded by the Duke of Sussex himself, honouring and inspiring recovery to sick servicemen and women, both serving and veterans, through sports.

RfX3t5RpJwrM0ApMNOO47JquN4XGDYQZtuizbz35GDpLf1cNO4dkEPl1CSPeJBvStX6yFo4ua1NQwDehIHl0iqI8oWBVXyfTz7E_eWypYW-s1ZFqUbQfr_C3yw4PNA5f6Zv-AtY

Prince Harry declined the invitation to attend his late grandfather Prince Philip’s thanksgiving services only to schedule a flight to the Netherlands to attend the Invictus Games. Credit: Samir Hussein/Getty Images.

Palace insiders have since perceived Harry’s decision as a "slap in the face to the Queen", according to Daily Mail's Royal Editor Rebecca English.

Speaking to Palace Confidential, Ms English said: "Within a couple of minutes of announcing that he would not be attending the Duke of Edinburgh’s service of thanksgiving, Harry’s team also announced that he would be attending the Invictus Games in the Hague in April, just a few weeks later."

"This has obviously surprised a lot of people… to travel to Europe to go to that, but not to his grandfather’s memorial service has, to use a well-worn phrase, got people’s goat. "

"They feel it is a slap in the face to the Queen and, again, another PR disaster as far as many people in the UK are concerned."

T8RWkRcWlOEo7xvvkOAeqzXCKZ00z6PvdgsOoacb2bRUzJ04f2utUb_RfPYZ9SNisRul74AvxDJyp-ausn6TzcZ-p-Vbibwvt7AX-5ZzOJSs55kkhn6U1McOXt4tdZrQwS6YxZg

Prince Harry dressed up in orange for the advertisement of the incoming Invictus Games in the Netherlands. Credit: Twitter/InvictusGamesNL.

Meanwhile, The Mail on Sunday's editor-at-large Charlotte Griffiths said that there might be other "profound implications" in Prince Harry’s move other than disparaging the event.

She said: "There is that feeling that this could be one of the last chances he gets to see some of the older members of the family."

"It just feels so insensitive and so vitriolic and so pointless."

Other critics slammed the estranged royal, claiming that Harry may "have been gotten by the Californian goblins" as he was not his usual self.

Author and historian Dr Tessa Dunlop went as far as describing the Duke of Sussex as "not the Harry we know".

"This is our Harry, our military man, tours of Afghanistan – it doesn’t stack up. I’m like, oh my God, you’ve been got by the Californian goblins," she said.

"I feel like he’s living in a different world, he’s lost the sense of where we’re at. Maybe he doesn’t want to have a sense of it."

The video below shows the Sky News Australia hosts' commentaries on Prince Harry prioritising Invictus Games over Prince Philip's thanksgiving services

Credit: YouTube/Sky News Australia

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think Prince Harry’s move is offensive to the Queen? Share them with us in the comments below!

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
Prince Harry declines invitation to attend Prince Philip’s thanksgiving services only to fly out to the Netherlands — "slap in the face to the Queen"

Fresh reports have revealed that the Queen did not learn of Prince Harry's intention to skip his late grandfather Prince Philip's thanksgiving services until only a quarter of an hour before the news was shared around the globe.

It was said, however, that a few weeks after it was reported that Harry declined the invitation to attend the thanksgiving services, he announced that he would be flying out to the Netherlands for the Invictus Games — an international sporting event founded by the Duke of Sussex himself, honouring and inspiring recovery to sick servicemen and women, both serving and veterans, through sports.

RfX3t5RpJwrM0ApMNOO47JquN4XGDYQZtuizbz35GDpLf1cNO4dkEPl1CSPeJBvStX6yFo4ua1NQwDehIHl0iqI8oWBVXyfTz7E_eWypYW-s1ZFqUbQfr_C3yw4PNA5f6Zv-AtY

Prince Harry declined the invitation to attend his late grandfather Prince Philip’s thanksgiving services only to schedule a flight to the Netherlands to attend the Invictus Games. Credit: Samir Hussein/Getty Images.

Palace insiders have since perceived Harry’s decision as a "slap in the face to the Queen", according to Daily Mail's Royal Editor Rebecca English.

Speaking to Palace Confidential, Ms English said: "Within a couple of minutes of announcing that he would not be attending the Duke of Edinburgh’s service of thanksgiving, Harry’s team also announced that he would be attending the Invictus Games in the Hague in April, just a few weeks later."

"This has obviously surprised a lot of people… to travel to Europe to go to that, but not to his grandfather’s memorial service has, to use a well-worn phrase, got people’s goat. "

"They feel it is a slap in the face to the Queen and, again, another PR disaster as far as many people in the UK are concerned."

T8RWkRcWlOEo7xvvkOAeqzXCKZ00z6PvdgsOoacb2bRUzJ04f2utUb_RfPYZ9SNisRul74AvxDJyp-ausn6TzcZ-p-Vbibwvt7AX-5ZzOJSs55kkhn6U1McOXt4tdZrQwS6YxZg

Prince Harry dressed up in orange for the advertisement of the incoming Invictus Games in the Netherlands. Credit: Twitter/InvictusGamesNL.

Meanwhile, The Mail on Sunday's editor-at-large Charlotte Griffiths said that there might be other "profound implications" in Prince Harry’s move other than disparaging the event.

She said: "There is that feeling that this could be one of the last chances he gets to see some of the older members of the family."

Other critics slammed the estranged royal, claiming that Harry may "have been gotten by the Californian goblins" as he was not his usual self.

Author and historian Dr Tessa Dunlop went as far as describing the Duke of Sussex as "not the Harry we know".

"This is our Harry, our military man, tours of Afghanistan – it doesn’t stack up. I’m like, oh my God, you’ve been got by the Californian goblins," she said.

"I feel like he’s living in a different world, he’s lost the sense of where we’re at. Maybe he doesn’t want to have a sense of it."

The video below shows the Sky News Australia hosts' commentaries on Prince Harry prioritising Invictus Games over Prince Philip's thanksgiving services

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think Prince Harry’s move is offensive to the Queen? Share them with us in the comments below!

Harry wanted to show the world that he can manage on his own. Then let him. Strip him of ALL royal titles and see how well he goes. He is a liar - swore allegiance to queen and country. Traitor - blabbed and rubbished family , and personal information that attacked the Monarchy. 100 years ago he so have been shot. He should not in a position where he could someday be king. Could not be trusted to not sell information about other countries in the commonwealth.

Yes, it is offensive, especially as the Queen has a special affection for Harry. It seems that Harry is not the man he was. He is besotted with Meghan & he has changed himself to please her. He has become part of the woke, PC crowd & like many Americans, very litigious! He is suing the British Government because he has lost security privileges since choosing to leave the Royal family. Give us a break Harry! Swallow your pride, pay your own security costs & take those children over to see their great grandmother. You will regret it in the long run if you don’t!

It's such a shame. None of us knows what goes on behind closed doors and we all know that family disputes can blow up out of all proportions. The press doesn't help, always looking for the bad in a situation, or sensational reporting, and feeding off each other, trying to outdo each other with each headline, but never the good stories. Good news doesn't sell papers. I'm sure if the press were to back off and leave all the royals alone for a while then solutions could be found, wounds could heal and "family" be restored.:cautious:

Reactions: Defiant540
Why all the hate for Harry? Like every other family in the world what happens in the family is only known to a few. The media has a lot to answer for in my opinion. I think everyone has declined an invitation to end up going elsewhere. I think the world knows that Harry never wants to be King. Where were the protesters when the Queen took away his patronage of the Invictus Games that were all his idea and which he started. I remember when he left England that he still wanted to serve Queen and country but that was all taken away. If it was most other families people wouldn’t give a damn.

Yes, his grandmother would love to see Libby, and her time is running out, shame on him.

Just my opinion but I think Meaghan has completely destroyed Harry, I think from the start she chased him seeing the advantage of becoming a Royal, since moving to America she has used this wholesale and the Americans have fallen for it hook, line, and sinker, I always thought Harry felt a lot about his grandfather, who of the two made the decision that he should not attend the memorial service, Now I have thrown the cat amongst the pigeons, go for it.

Just my opinion but I think Meaghan has completely destroyed Harry, I think from the start she chased him seeing the advantage of becoming a Royal, since moving to America she has used this wholesale and the Americans have fallen for it hook, line, and sinker, I always thought Harry felt a lot about his grandfather, who of the two made the decision that he should not attend the memorial service, Now I have thrown the cat amongst the pigeons, go for it.
While I agree with a lot of what you say @Dennis I can't help but think that Harry has been awfully naïve too. He was brought up in the institution that is the Royal Family and should have been fully cognisant of its workings. He knew (or should have done) that pulling away would have consequences and that he couldn't bend hundreds of years of tradition to his will. Just because you want something doesn't mean you'll get it. However, my heart breaks for any broken family as I know the feelings only too well. I do wonder though how we would feel or behave if we had the whole of the worlds press hanging on our every word or action and were living in a fishbowl. Unfortunately there are no winners in this situation.:(

Harry wanted to show the world that he can manage on his own. Then let him. Strip him of ALL royal titles and see how well he goes. He is a liar - swore allegiance to queen and country. Traitor - blabbed and rubbished family , and personal information that attacked the Monarchy. 100 years ago he so have been shot. He should not in a position where he could someday be king. Could not be trusted to not sell information about other countries in the commonwealth.
As an extra to my comment, I think if stripped of royal titles he would get less entitlements. After a slog on his own he might be willing to own that he should have left the skeletons in the closet and maybe the family could start to move forward. I am all for a family reunion.

Reactions: Nardia and Ricci
Prince Harry has lost the plot. His self-indulgent life has made him forget about his roots and his family. Not having security if he travelled to the UK is rubbish. He would only lose security if he went off on his own, privately away from the other royals. So there's no excuse for him not to go to the UK. Should the Queen die without seeing her latest great-grandchild, I don't think the world would forgive Harry and will no doubt blame Megan. A very sad state of affairs and hopefully he will snap out if it before it's too late. Wake up Harry!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nardia and Ricci
I that he is so scared that Megan will take his kids away from him, and that means for him to stay away from England altogether.

• Sad
Why all the hate for Harry? Like every other family in the world what happens in the family is only known to a few. The media has a lot to answer for in my opinion. I think everyone has declined an invitation to end up going elsewhere. I think the world knows that Harry never wants to be King. Where were the protesters when the Queen took away his patronage of the Invictus Games that were all his idea and which he started. I remember when he left England that he still wanted to serve Queen and country but that was all taken away. If it was most other families people wouldn’t give a damn.
Think he could have attended the service in respect for his grandfather & his grandmother. As if he wouldn’t have had security during his visit.😡