I don't eat prawns but my family have told me this is one of the best stir-fry

Serves 3 - 4 people with rice

Prep: 10 mins

Cook: 7 mins

Prawn-Stir-Fry-Shrimp_0.jpg
Recipe by recipetineats

Ingredients​

PRAWN STIR FRY SAUCE:​

• 1 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce (sub normal soy)
  • 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (sub Mirin or dry sherry)
  • 2 tsp oyster sauce
  • 1/2 tsp sesame oil , toasted see nots
  • 1 tbsp cornflour
  • 1/8 tsp white pepper (sub black pepper)
  • 3/4 cup water

STIR FRY:​

• 2 tbsp oil , peanut, canola or vegetable
  • 250g medium prawns , raw, peeled and deveined (equiv. 500g whole prawns, see Note
  • 1/2 onion , sliced, brown or white
  • 2 tsp ginger , finely julienned (~2cm / 0.7" piece)
  • 2 tsp garlic , finely chopped (~ 2 cloves)
  • 1 1/2 bunches broccolini , trimmed, cut into 5cm / 2" lengths, (~1 1/2 cups. Sub normal broccoli)
  • 120g snow peas , thin string removed from both sides

Instructions​

• Steam broccolini: Steam broccolini until crisp-tender, about 2 – 3 minutes (remember it will cook more in the stir fry). Set aside to drain and dry.
  • Stir Fry Sauce: Put all Stir Fry Sauce ingredients except water into a bowl. Mix until cornflour is dissolved. Then stir in water.
  • Cook then remove prawns: Heat oil in a wok or large skillet on medium to medium-high heat. Add prawns and spread them in a single layer. Cook for 1 1/2 minutes, then turn and cook the other side for 1 minute until cooked through. Try not to make the prawns too golden (they are only lightly browned in stir fries). Remove prawns to a bowl. Set aside.
  • Cook onion, garlic and ginger: Add more oil if the pan seems a bit dry. Still on medium-high heat, add onion and cook for 1 minute. Then add ginger and garlic and cook for another 1 minute until onion is starting to soften but not colour.
  • Add snow peas, then broccolini: Add snow peas and toss until coated with oil. Then add broccolini and toss through.
  • Add Sauce and thicken: Give the Sauce a stir (to dissolve cornflour settled at bottom), then pour into skillet. Cook, stirring, until sauce thickens to syrup consistency (about 1 minute) and coats the ingredients nicely.
  • Add prawns back in: Then add the prawns back in (including any juices in the bowl). Toss for another 30 seconds until prawns are warmed through.
  • Serve: Serve with rice!

Recipe Notes:​

1. Soy Sauce – Light soy sauce is best here, for a clear stir fry sauce. Ordinary all purpose soy sauce will work too but the sauce colour will be slightly darker. Do not use dark soy sauce
Chinese cooking wine – sub with dry sherry (a close approximation). If you can’t consume alcohol, use low-sodium chicken broth in place of the cooking wine in the Sauce AND in place of the water. Also reduce oyster sauce by 1 tablespoon.

3. Vegetarian oyster sauce – Nowadays you can find vegetarian oyster sauce (suitable for vegans) products even at supermarkets. For example, Ayam because we’re making a fairly saucy stir fry here and we use a fair amount of water (3/4 cup). It’s harder to make cornflour / cornstarch dissolve lump-free in anything more than a few tablespoons of water.

4. Sesame oil – Use toasted, which has a more intense sesame flavour (it’s brown in colour). Untoasted oil is yellow and harder to find in Australia.

5. Prawns – Fresh is always best, though these days frozen is pretty good! If using thawed frozen prawns, drain off excess water well then pat dry before using.

6. Rices to serve with this stir fry:

7. Storage – Leftovers will keep for 3 days in the fridge. Freezing not recommended

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I really don't like seafood but I still cook it. The same as I hate mushrooms but still cook it and I amaze my daughter how I cook these dishes perfect without tasting as I go .
My daughter Lulu is the same as you Suzanne, an amazing cook but she dislikes so many things like seafood, mushrooms, pork and some condiments. Yet she turns out fantabulous meals. So please keep your awesome recipes coming, as she loves ❤️ trying some out.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I tried this recipe on Wednesday - initially I thought it would take a long time to prepare but that was not the case. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed it - I served it with Basmati rice. Thanks again Suzanne :)

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I tried this recipe on Wednesday - initially I thought it would take a long time to prepare but that was not the case. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed it - I served it with Basmati rice. Thanks again Suzanne :)
My son had told me the first time I made it, that it was a restaurant quality dish

Alot of recipes I post look long but they are just detailed with extra information