Popular restaurant under fire for secretly charging 'hidden' fees: 'What a joke'

Members, we have to ask: do you feel like you're paying more at restaurants and for takeaway these days? We sure do.

Experts recently said that the gradually rising prices of food and fuel, as well as ongoing problems with the supply chain, are some factors that are driving up restaurant costs.

And since these economic issues probably take up most of your attention, you may have missed a few more hidden costs that have risen since the pandemic—these include the cost of eating out and getting food to go.

Take, for example, this situation that recently happened in Brisbane, where customers of a particular restaurant found out that they had been paying a little bit more for the meals and customer service than they realised.

Z-ww0lhT_RgUMOmyuBVvkmmBbNxvyT084JsRgQF6hxuA1RPUnG96NspjeUZPTbqvwhiRfh7AnZkCkXN2gKT7Wow9W_MkDjNBrtkDAzXRQY7RpCpDGXhG2dc6JAprwvKYOveONC9E6jau3wX_cjzdfHD90bsRppGPdDmASfbxezN5YDbZFBOJrCTvOw

People were furious when they saw 'sneaky fees' on a popular restaurant's menu. Credit: Reddit.

One diner at El Camino Cantina in Southbank posted a photo of the 'sneaky fees' hidden in the fine print of the restaurant's menu, and more than a thousand people have already expressed their fury and disappointment on social media.

'Additional service fees every day of the week,' said the complaining customer in their post.

According to the customer's photo, a little disclaimer can be seen that states the Mexican restaurant levies a 10% service fee on Sundays, a 15% premium on public holidays, and a 5% service cost from Monday through Saturday.

Beyond those, the standard fees for credit cards and debit cards apply, and there is a 'discretionary' service charge for parties of 10 or more.

Under the customer's post, hundreds of other users and fellow regular patrons commented, many of whom were outraged by the deceptive advertising and the unfairly excessive fees implemented by the restaurant.

'That's such BS; service fees shouldn't be a thing. Include them in your (menu) price and stop deceiving customers!' one person wrote in the comments section.

A second user agreed and said: 'There is literally no way to pay the price listed on the menu. It's not about the price, it's about the underhanded way of stating the price.'

In response to another commenter, one person revealed that dining at El Camino on a holiday would incur a 25% extra for parties of 10 or more. 'What a joke,' they added.

Meanwhile, another customer said that the service charges were a bit unfair since the restaurant doesn't offer much service to begin with. 'You order everything off a QR code… so what is the service, exactly?'

-_5J69yo0kSyOKH3MCy-if7OgR9KK9eT1NPeiFn2YpOwY2W5SRdUIbzlO75zuQYGNnEg4Yv2Tn1NnZ3WZv1j2CBz4e30vxmGdn-HT9ViJcier_STOs99Z-5Aa8vfvQmSRXY-GgwJnf2q45ZNFAAHnHCstnxr6VGDrWEjrLtam80qc_iZw9qEmGG1Vw

There wasn't much service to speak about at El Camino Cantina, since customers have to scan QR codes to place orders. Credit: Josh Woning.

The company that operates El Camino Cantina has already issued a statement in response to the controversy, explaining that the additional fees are required to cover the rising costs associated with maintaining the business and keeping up with inflation.

'Service charges are commonplace across the Australian hospitality industry and cover various costs incurred by businesses, including penalty rate wages on particular days and higher costs of operating at certain times,' said a representative.

'In addition, recent soaring inflation and minimum wage increases have impacted our business, which continues to be impacted by COVID-19-induced hospitality hardship. We are fully transparent about service charges, which are noted on our menus, websites, and receipts.'

When asked if it would be more reasonable to raise El Camino's rates by 5% instead of implementing a daily surcharge, the representative did not provide a response. Since the 'hidden surcharges' have recently come under fire in Google reviews, the restaurant's overall rating has dropped.

The outrage over the 'sneaky fees' comes only two weeks after a customer at The Bavarian Bier Cafe on the Sunshine Coast was left perplexed by an extra charge that was added to their bill.

Both the Bavarian Bier Cafe and El Camino Cantina are owned by Pacific Concepts, a major player in the hotel industry that appears to have adopted the same pricing policy at all of its locations.

Earlier this month, a company representative stated the daily service charge will be applied to all invoices for an 'interim period', but they did not specify when it would conclude.

What do you think, members? Aside from Pacific Concepts-owned restaurants (Bavarian Bier Cafe and El Camino Cantina), have you recently noticed any 'hidden fees' when you ate out or ordered takeaway? If not, this might be a good time to check for any! Every dollar counts, so we should know where our money is going...

Sponsored
My son loves Taco Bell in Alexandria Sydney.

He goes every couple of weeks for lunch and two weeks ago he was shocked , not only had prices gone up but the servings were smaller.

He still goes back as he and his friends love them .

I make tacos and burritos but I just can't work out their special sauce

My memory doesn't go back that far!!!! I was trying to think of the last time I ate out and gave up, I know it was before Covid, just can't remember how much earlier. Prices weren't too bad then!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I haven't noticed additional charges. From now on, I will pay more attention. I have encountered a surcharge on public holidays. So we don't go out to eat on public holidays.
I find that the additional charges coming in, is Americanism sneaking into our lives. I won't be supporting those places.

Members, we have to ask: do you feel like you're paying more at restaurants and for takeaway these days? We sure do.

Experts recently said that the gradually rising prices of food and fuel, as well as ongoing problems with the supply chain, are some factors that are driving up restaurant costs.

And since these economic issues probably take up most of your attention, you may have missed a few more hidden costs that have risen since the pandemic—these include the cost of eating out and getting food to go.

Take, for example, this situation that recently happened in Brisbane, where customers of a particular restaurant found out that they had been paying a little bit more for the meals and customer service than they realised.

Z-ww0lhT_RgUMOmyuBVvkmmBbNxvyT084JsRgQF6hxuA1RPUnG96NspjeUZPTbqvwhiRfh7AnZkCkXN2gKT7Wow9W_MkDjNBrtkDAzXRQY7RpCpDGXhG2dc6JAprwvKYOveONC9E6jau3wX_cjzdfHD90bsRppGPdDmASfbxezN5YDbZFBOJrCTvOw

People were furious when they saw 'sneaky fees' on a popular restaurant's menu. Credit: Reddit.

One diner at El Camino Cantina in Southbank posted a photo of the 'sneaky fees' hidden in the fine print of the restaurant's menu, and more than a thousand people have already expressed their fury and disappointment on social media.

'Additional service fees every day of the week,' said the complaining customer in their post.

According to the customer's photo, a little disclaimer can be seen that states the Mexican restaurant levies a 10% service fee on Sundays, a 15% premium on public holidays, and a 5% service cost from Monday through Saturday.

Beyond those, the standard fees for credit cards and debit cards apply, and there is a 'discretionary' service charge for parties of 10 or more.

Under the customer's post, hundreds of other users and fellow regular patrons commented, many of whom were outraged by the deceptive advertising and the unfairly excessive fees implemented by the restaurant.

'That's such BS; service fees shouldn't be a thing. Include them in your (menu) price and stop deceiving customers!' one person wrote in the comments section.

A second user agreed and said: 'There is literally no way to pay the price listed on the menu. It's not about the price, it's about the underhanded way of stating the price.'

In response to another commenter, one person revealed that dining at El Camino on a holiday would incur a 25% extra for parties of 10 or more. 'What a joke,' they added.

Meanwhile, another customer said that the service charges were a bit unfair since the restaurant doesn't offer much service to begin with. 'You order everything off a QR code… so what is the service, exactly?'

-_5J69yo0kSyOKH3MCy-if7OgR9KK9eT1NPeiFn2YpOwY2W5SRdUIbzlO75zuQYGNnEg4Yv2Tn1NnZ3WZv1j2CBz4e30vxmGdn-HT9ViJcier_STOs99Z-5Aa8vfvQmSRXY-GgwJnf2q45ZNFAAHnHCstnxr6VGDrWEjrLtam80qc_iZw9qEmGG1Vw

There wasn't much service to speak about at El Camino Cantina, since customers have to scan QR codes to place orders. Credit: Josh Woning.

The company that operates El Camino Cantina has already issued a statement in response to the controversy, explaining that the additional fees are required to cover the rising costs associated with maintaining the business and keeping up with inflation.

'Service charges are commonplace across the Australian hospitality industry and cover various costs incurred by businesses, including penalty rate wages on particular days and higher costs of operating at certain times,' said a representative.

'In addition, recent soaring inflation and minimum wage increases have impacted our business, which continues to be impacted by COVID-19-induced hospitality hardship. We are fully transparent about service charges, which are noted on our menus, websites, and receipts.'

When asked if it would be more reasonable to raise El Camino's rates by 5% instead of implementing a daily surcharge, the representative did not provide a response. Since the 'hidden surcharges' have recently come under fire in Google reviews, the restaurant's overall rating has dropped.

The outrage over the 'sneaky fees' comes only two weeks after a customer at The Bavarian Bier Cafe on the Sunshine Coast was left perplexed by an extra charge that was added to their bill.

Both the Bavarian Bier Cafe and El Camino Cantina are owned by Pacific Concepts, a major player in the hotel industry that appears to have adopted the same pricing policy at all of its locations.

Earlier this month, a company representative stated the daily service charge will be applied to all invoices for an 'interim period', but they did not specify when it would conclude.

What do you think, members? Aside from Pacific Concepts-owned restaurants (Bavarian Bier Cafe and El Camino Cantina), have you recently noticed any 'hidden fees' when you ate out or ordered takeaway? If not, this might be a good time to check for any! Every dollar counts, so we should know where our money is going...
Being underhanded creates more bad will than if the menu showed the actual pricing. I will walk out of a restaurant if I see it on a menu. If they are this underhanded what are doing with the food and drinks? Substituting meat for cheaper cuts is easy and most can’t pick it. Prawns from Vietnam, Basa from Asia are all ways to increase profits.

Yes the restaurant trade is suffering but so is everyone else with rent, mortgage, power, rates, insurances etc. We don’t get underhanded with employers!

they don't mention the advantages with credit card charges and auto banking (the money s in the bank before the customer has left the restaurant, less cash on the premises, less risk to staff, cash handling, and many more benefits well worth the card fees of I or 2%. I think its greedy of the merchant to even add the 1or2%... its an overhead like electricity etc...guess how many restraints pay higher wages on public hols etc, to my knowledge ..very few, its an extra income

As a pensioner, I never have the chance to dine out. In fact, it is over 5 years since I did so. As I am a very fussy eater I much prefer to eat at home. That way I can choose what suits my palate & I will have the pleasure of being able to eat everything on my plate. I have noticed the extra charges when I shop & pay with my debit card. If only we had not become so reliant on cards, be they debit or credit & cash still was King we would not have this problem.

There's a simply answer tell the restaurant you won't be going there again if everybody complained those charges would disappear but you know us Ausies to laid back to actually complain. I do

Reactions: Ricci
It is common here in WA and has been for a number of years for restaurants etc. to have a surcharge of 10% to 15% on Sundays and public holidays to cover the extra shift loading they have to pay on those days.

Restaurant's food prices should be an average of an expected cost + profit in a predicted period.
Gotta be fair to those working all week and just wanna pamper themselves eating out on weekends/public holidays (their only holidays). Why put heavy surcharge on them?! (>д<)
Now they dont even wanna calculate anything anymore, just freeze the prices and raise the surcharges... (。>∀<。)
We used to pay cash, then we moved forward, everyone gets a card/apps to pay, how easy? And now, we need to go back to pay cash again, just to escape from card surcharges. LoL
Life is not easy!

Aldi also charge a fee if you use your card to pay for groceries. I have a Visa Debit card and noticed the extra charge after shopping at Aldi. At that stage I didn't see any notification at the checkout saying there is a fee incurred if you use your card for payment. I only pay by cash if I decide to go to Aldi's now.

Aldi also charge a fee if you use your card to pay for groceries. I have a Visa Debit card and noticed the extra charge after shopping at Aldi. At that stage I didn't see any notification at the checkout saying there is a fee incurred if you use your card for payment. I only pay by cash if I decide to go to Aldi's now.
I was a victim, too, unfortunately... Exactly what I am doing now.. I pay cash, not just at Aldi, but at almost all the shops/restaurants which I seldom visit nowadays. (*´I`*)