Popular 'health tip' sends woman straight to the emergency department

Disclaimer: The information provided in this article does not constitute medical advice. We recommend that readers consult their general practitioners before implementing these suggestions.

In the digital age, the internet is a treasure trove of tips and tricks promising to improve our lives in many ways.

From clever storage solutions to innovative cooking methods, the allure of a good tip is undeniable.

However, not all that glitters is gold, especially regarding health advice found online.

Dani Lutin, an online content creator, shared the harrowing experience that landed her in the emergency department after following a 'health tip' she saw online.

Dani recounted how she was drawn to the content of a well-known health and wellness influencer, who claimed to be healing her body from a chronic illness with holistic recipes.

'I started leaning into her content and listening to some of her tips, and one day I stumbled upon one of her videos talking about how you could help your digestion,' she shared on a video.

One tip caught her attention: coating an orange with cinnamon and cayenne pepper and eating it whole—peel included.

'It was absolutely not pleasant going down, but I thought it was in the name of health,' she added.

'I thought I was doing the right thing for my body, and it would thank me later.'

compressed-dani.jpeg
Content creator Dani Lutin cautions social media users to take online medical advice with a grain of salt. Image Credit: Instagram/Dani Lutin

Unfortunately, the result was far from beneficial—Dani required hospitalisation shortly after taking the health tip.

'When the doctor asked if I'd eaten anything in the past 24 hours, I let him know that I coated an orange in cinnamon and cayenne, peel and all, and ingested it,' she said.

'He looked at me and asked, "Why would you do that?"'

'I saw someone do it online,' she answered.

The diagnosis was a burned oesophagus, confirmed by an endoscopy.

Dani's story went viral on social media, raising awareness about the dangers of mindlessly following online health advice.

'I saw her repost this little "tip", and it just makes me upset because there are now hundreds of thousands of people looking to her for information,' she said in disbelief.

This incident highlights a critical issue: the responsibility of content creators to share safe and accurate information and the responsibility of consumers to evaluate online advice critically.

What works for one person may not suit another, as individual health histories, genetics, and bodies vary greatly.

Dani's followers also shared their own slice of dodgy health tips.

'I fell down the magnesium rabbit hole and ended up in hospital with high magnesium,' one wrote.

'I had tremors, anxiety and twitches all over my body.'

'I once had raw garlic and honey and almost threw up my entire life,' another shared.

While oranges are a nutritious addition to any meal, overconsumption may lead to health concerns.

A Queensland woman devoted herself to a 40-day diet consisting only of orange juice to 'connect with our inner selves' physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

This diet regime raised eyebrows from healthcare professionals, as excessive consumption may lead to a weak immune system, anaemia, and a heightened risk for diabetes.

These stories underline the importance of consulting with healthcare professionals before trying health practices seen online.

Our bodies may react differently to certain substances, and we may have underlying health conditions that could be exacerbated by seemingly harmless 'tips'.

Always consult your doctor or a trusted healthcare provider before significantly changing your diet or health routine.

Watch Dani Lutin's video here:

Source: Dani Lutin/TikTok

Key Takeaways

• Dani Lutin ended up in hospital after trying an unsafe 'health tip' she saw from an online influencer.
  • The 'tip' involved eating an orange coated in cinnamon and cayenne pepper, which she believed would aid digestion but would likely have burned her oesophagus instead.
  • Dani warns others about the dangers of blindly following health advice from the internet, emphasising individual differences in health and the importance of critical thinking.
  • People shared their own adverse experiences with questionable health tips, highlighting the potential risks of unverified health tips.
Have you tried a health tip that didn't go as planned? What can we do about online content creators who share false medical advice online? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
What is wrong with people? A whole orange, cayenne pepper etc. Who would eat orange peel? I’m stunned by the way people do stuff because they saw it online.
Orange peel is actually quite nutritious. The pith also contains beneficial nutrients. Commercial orange juice contains the whole orange; skin, pith and flesh.

Orange peel is actually quite nutritious. The pith also contains beneficial nutrients. Commercial orange juice contains the whole orange; skin, pith and flesh.
Yes I know that orange peel is good for you but still think I’ll pass on eating it. Put it in OJ by all means & I do grate it into things but couldn’t face eating it on an orange especially with the addition of cayenne pepper.

The best use of orange peel is on a "Chook a l'orange"
Basically, a chicken or turkey with 1 or 2 peeled oranges shoved where the eggs exit, peel from oranges placed on outside of said birds (most of pith shaved off (save for the pith helmets)).
If you are stuffing a chicken (if it isn't already) thinly slice peel and chop and mix into stuffing.
The oils from the peel will permeate the skin and flesh and the Chook has the most delightful flavour.
Prick the chook before placing peel on it.
Do not put cinnamon on it rather mix some ground cinnamon into a home made custard.