Popular Australian milk brand goes into voluntary administration

If there's one thing we hold dear it's our strong morning cuppa. A good cup of tea or coffee is that simple pleasure that can bring a little joy to each day, and having the perfect milk on hand plays its part in creating that moment. So it’s disheartening to hear that one of Australia's favourite milk brands has ceased operations.

1685418037586.png
The dairy company Made By Cow, which operates in New South Wales (NSW), has chosen to enter into voluntary administration. Source: Made By Cow/ Facebook

Popular Australian milk brand, Made By Cow, known for its 'world's first safe-to-drink raw milk', announced it's going into voluntary administration, leaving fans heartbroken and pondering what the future holds for this innovative product stocked at Coles and Woolworths.

Headquartered in NSW, Made By Cow was a game-changer in the dairy industry, with their milk available in over 1,000 retailers. Their unique cold high-pressure process (instead of heat treatment) offered a nutritional profile identical to raw milk but that also met Australian health standards.

CEO Wade Porter made the solemn announcement: 'It is with a heavy heart that we inform you that from yesterday, Made By Cow will be closing its doors and has gone into voluntary administration with KordaMentha appointed.'

The History of Made By Cow and Its Innovative Cold High-Pressure Process​

Made By Cow saw success right from the start when its CEO and founder Wade Porter developed the world’s first safe-to-drink raw milk using a cold high-pressure process.

This innovative technique involved pressurising raw milk to around 30,000 times atmospheric pressure, killing off harmful bacteria and allowing the drink to keep its natural nutritional profile.

The aim was to get a product that was essentially just like raw milk, without the health risks—thus bringing an alternative, nutrient-rich drink to the Australian market. Made By Cow's product landed on shelves within a few months of its launch and gained a loyal following that has continued to enjoy the milk.

However, due to the combination of rising expenses, growing interest rates, and inflation, the cold high-pressure process was unable to stand the test of time and Made By Cow eventually went into administration this month.

Despite the turn of events, the CEO expressed gratitude to the company's distributors and loyal customers, saying, 'We started as an unknown dairy brand trying to do something different and have grown into a brand so many of you love. Our morning coffee will never be the same, but it's sure been good while it lasted.'

This devastating news rocked the hearts of many devoted Made By Cow customers, who shared their reactions on social media, with some labelling it as 'heartbreaking' and others praising it as the 'best milk on the market'.

Fans of Made By Cow will undoubtedly miss the familiar taste of their milk in their morning routine.

Key Takeaways
  • Made By Cow, a popular Australian milk brand stocked at Coles and Woolworths, has gone into voluntary administration.
  • The company gained a market of loyal fans with its 'world's first safe-to-drink raw milk' stocked at over 1000 retailers.
  • Rising expenses and supply chain challenges led to the closure of the company.
  • Fans of the product expressed their sadness on social media, with many considering it the 'best milk on the market.'
We understand that change is inevitable, but losing a brand we've grown to love is never an easy experience. So, it's important for us, as Coles and Woolworths shoppers, to remember that the Australian dairy industry still has a wealth of delicious products to offer, helping us make that perfect cuppa.

While this may mark the end of one chapter for Made By Cow, we hope the innovative spirit it inspired will continue to shape and support our local dairy industry. Until then, chin up, fellow milk lovers—-another cuppa awaits!

What are your opinions on this story, members? Are there any other delectable dairy products you can recommend to elevate our enjoyment of coffee and tea? Feel free to share your suggestions with us in the comments below!

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci
Sponsored
For me it's always been about price. I have always had hi-lo milk since it started in the 80's and I've always bought store brand unless the alternatives were on special and therefor cheaper. When the kids were little we used to go through 28/30 litres of milk a week so price was important. I was always of the opinion that higher priced milk was for those with more money than sense! ;) ;)

The usual Woollies and Coles method of sourcing products - they get the suppliers hooked on the $ and then they gouge the prices to the point where they are unsustainable and the supplier is pushed to bankruptcy.
The supplier pays for everything, even the spaces on the shelf. As well as the markdowns - The big 2 score big time.

I grew up with cows and obviously we drank what they are calling raw milk. I was never sick, my son was never sick after he went from breast to fresh cows milk. My daughter missed out on the experience of having fresh cows milk and we suffered through many a sleepless night with one thing after another, and I believe it was because of the milk.

I grew up with cows and obviously we drank what they are calling raw milk. I was never sick, my son was never sick after he went from breast to fresh cows milk. My daughter missed out on the experience of having fresh cows milk and we suffered through many a sleepless night with one thing after another, and I believe it was because of the milk.
Yes.. we lived on a farm and when I think back to it I'm amazed we came out alive. No pasteurisation and all the butter,cream and cheese. When we wanted cream we just went and scraped off the cream from the milk in large urns. Those were the days.

Reactions: terri and Ricci
Yes.. we lived on a farm and when I think back to it I'm amazed we came out alive. No pasteurisation and all the butter,cream and cheese. When we wanted cream we just went and scraped off the cream from the milk in large urns. Those were the days.
Except for the butter, I always remember having to make the butter, and turning the churn thingy used to drive me up the wall, and I hated it, my mother wouldn't put salt in it, my arm would ache so badly I couldn't write properly at school. The cats used to line up in the bail when the cows were being milked by hand, to get their squirt in the mouth. Yes those were the days

Reactions: Ricci and IAN3005
I agree. My uncle had a small farm with his dairy cows and I recall going there in school holidays and drinking straight from the bucket of fresh milk. Never had any health problems. Scalded cream and other niceties were great. Full cream milk is the only way to go especially cold pressed raw milk. For people over the age of 55 + we need that calcium for our bones. I actually love the full cream Jersey Cow milk.

Reactions: Ricci
The usual Woollies and Coles method of sourcing products - they get the suppliers hooked on the $ and then they gouge the prices to the point where they are unsustainable and the supplier is pushed to bankruptcy.
The supplier pays for everything, even the spaces on the shelf. As well as the markdowns - The big 2 score big time.
I agree on that. The smaller producer always suffers, but have a better product.

Reactions: Ricci