Police sound alarm over alleged romance scam targeting lonely single men

In an increasingly digital world where love knows no boundaries, the rise of romance scams has cast a shadow over the quest for connection.

Behind the alluring profiles and heartwarming stories, a disturbing trend is emerging: a surge in online relationships designed to prey on unsuspecting victims.

Recently, Queensland Police have led to bust a fraudulent romance scheme orchestrated by a mother-daughter duo on the Gold Coast, uncovering wads of cash, documents that appear to be a ledger and mobile phones.

Allegedly, the scam had targeted lonely single men through personal ads placed in regional newspapers.

Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 12.15.18 PM.png
Queensland Police have blown open an alleged romance scam that has cost lonely single men almost $500,000. Credit: Shutterstock.

Detective Sergeant Matt Hogan of the Queensland Police said, 'We'll allege that the group of offenders were placing advertisements in some regional newspapers.'

'In particular, [they were] offering romance introductions and targeting people who were interested in romantic attachments. They were told [a certain] Kate is in love with them, and the romance is progressing.'

The ad for the scam appeared to offer companionship and a chance to form a relationship with a 'country lady at heart' who was looking for her soulmate.

It continued to describe her as a 'widow of 6 years', '50 years old', 'open to any age', 'slim build', with blue eyes and blonde hair, and as having happy-natured, fun-loving, honest, nurturing, and romantic characteristics.

Unfortunately, three victims from Queensland and Western Australia fell for the scam and lost a shocking amount of money.

One person, 70 years old from Queensland, says he lost $343,500; another from the same state said he lost $42,000, while yet another from WA said he lost a whopping $111,000.

According to Detective Sergeant Hogan, the fraudsters were 'very good at what they do' and used sophisticated psychological ploys on their targets to emotionally engage them in the relationship.

The alleged fraudsters, Murray Hopa, Helen Dimitrijevski, and Sophie Dimitrijevski, have since been charged with fraud. The police suspect that operations were running between June 2022 and February 2023 under the name of 'The Coaching Factory'.

There may be more victims out there who haven't reported their experiences yet.

The SDC has also written a few stories about romance scams in the past, so please feel free to check them out here:
Key Takeaways

• Queensland Police have exposed an alleged romance scam that has reportedly cost lonely single men nearly $500,000 in total.
  • The operation led to the raid of the homes of a Gold Coast mother and daughter duo, where cash, documents resembling a ledger, and mobile phones were found.
  • Sophie Dimitrijevski, Helen Dimitrijevski, and Murray Hopa are all facing charges, including fraud.
  • Police believe the alleged fraud was operating between June 2022 and February 2023 under the name of The Coaching Factory, and there could be more victims yet to come forward.

Members, if you or someone you know has any knowledge of the issue, we recommend, firstly, that you run an online search for any related information. If none can be found, it may be best to seek police assistance.

You can also get in touch with Crime Stoppers at 1800 333 000 or contact your local police station. If you do know someone who has been similarly scammed, don't hesitate to reach out; it could make a world of difference.

We hope this story serves as a friendly warning for all of us to take extra care when responding to any ads. Always make sure you do your research first.

Have you encountered any similar scams recently? Share your experiences with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
In an increasingly digital world where love knows no boundaries, the rise of romance scams has cast a shadow over the quest for connection.

Behind the alluring profiles and heartwarming stories, a disturbing trend is emerging: a surge in online relationships designed to prey on unsuspecting victims.

Recently, Queensland Police have led to bust a fraudulent romance scheme orchestrated by a mother-daughter duo on the Gold Coast, uncovering wads of cash, documents that appear to be a ledger and mobile phones.

Allegedly, the scam had targeted lonely single men through personal ads placed in regional newspapers.

View attachment 29326
Queensland Police have blown open an alleged romance scam that has cost lonely single men almost $500,000. Credit: Shutterstock.

Detective Sergeant Matt Hogan of the Queensland Police said, 'We'll allege that the group of offenders were placing advertisements in some regional newspapers.'

'In particular, [they were] offering romance introductions and targeting people who were interested in romantic attachments. They were told [a certain] Kate is in love with them, and the romance is progressing.'

The ad for the scam appeared to offer companionship and a chance to form a relationship with a 'country lady at heart' who was looking for her soulmate.

It continued to describe her as a 'widow of 6 years', '50 years old', 'open to any age', 'slim build', with blue eyes and blonde hair, and as having happy-natured, fun-loving, honest, nurturing, and romantic characteristics.

Unfortunately, three victims from Queensland and Western Australia fell for the scam and lost a shocking amount of money.

One person, 70 years old from Queensland, says he lost $343,500; another from the same state said he lost $42,000, while yet another from WA said he lost a whopping $111,000.

According to Detective Sergeant Hogan, the fraudsters were 'very good at what they do' and used sophisticated psychological ploys on their targets to emotionally engage them in the relationship.

The alleged fraudsters, Murray Hopa, Helen Dimitrijevski, and Sophie Dimitrijevski, have since been charged with fraud. The police suspect that operations were running between June 2022 and February 2023 under the name of 'The Coaching Factory'.

The SDC has also written a few stories about romance scams in the past, so please feel free to check them out here:
Key Takeaways

• Queensland Police have exposed an alleged romance scam that has reportedly cost lonely single men nearly $500,000 in total.
  • The operation led to the raid of the homes of a Gold Coast mother and daughter duo, where cash, documents resembling a ledger, and mobile phones were found.
  • Sophie Dimitrijevski, Helen Dimitrijevski, and Murray Hopa are all facing charges, including fraud.
  • Police believe the alleged fraud was operating between June 2022 and February 2023 under the name of The Coaching Factory, and there could be more victims yet to come forward.

Members, if you or someone you know has any knowledge of the issue, we recommend, firstly, that you run an online search for any related information. If none can be found, it may be best to seek police assistance.

You can also get in touch with Crime Stoppers at 1800 333 000 or contact your local police station. If you do know someone who has been similarly scammed, don't hesitate to reach out; it could make a world of difference.

We hope this story serves as a friendly warning for all of us to take extra care when responding to any ads. Always make sure you do your research first.

Have you encountered any similar scams recently? Share your experiences with us in the comments below.
Unfortunately there are people out there who prey on vulnerable people.

When I ran a non profit friendship group of single men and women, I charged $5 only every 6 months for news letter, I covered the phone calls back to clients.
Arranged different venues at clubs at restaurants days away picnics dance nights bus outings men and women 45 to 75 we all met introduced each other....instead walking into a place not knowing anyone, I thrived to make sure everyone felt comfortable.

If it was a dance night and men didn't get up I asked ladies to go and ask for a dance.

It was relaxed group of 300 who had their say, suggested venues, met with people in same boat as to say.

They all became friends, and continued the friendship years later. There was no pressure of any kind.
We all had great laugh shared joys and moments and supported each other, helped each other. Held nights at members home on their invite...
We knew each other made many friendship enjoyed each other's company instead been lonely, and out of that group 12 people coupled up got married without pressure.

1 guy really liked this girl wanted to get engaged didn't have money for ring, I saw how much in love they where at the time
, so I offered my engagement ring and said hope it brings you more luck, it's been sitting in draw gathering dust . Hope you will accept it and make her happy.
Both where very shy and by the looks of it neither had been with a previous partner.

The group was informal if they wanted to attend the venues they did as I said no pressure.
One guy was in his 80s I saw loneliness in his eyes, he came not expecting to be allowed as he was older than rest, I said you are welcome introduce yourself to rest of the group, he had good humour made everyone laugh, asked all the ladies up for a dance, a good sort and he turned up at each venue.

Let's have no more loneliness in the world, stretch your hand and heart out if you see neighbours men or women who are isolated just say hi how are you.

Some needed to talk so when I had spare moments I returned their calls.
We where there for each other, that group was in Kiama region nsw. 😉

I do have a counsellor degree that helped many and putting a positive outlook on their situation or suggesting other options helped.

Last edited:

View attachment 29326

Key Takeaways

1. I would never go to these sites to met someone. 2. if someone ask me about lending them money, my answer is sorry but NO (I have a total limit of about $50 per person). I don't care about their sob story, I know that sounds harsh but why would I give hundreds or thousands of my hard earnt money to a basically a stranger. And to be honest if a new love interest ask me about money I would be very wary (especially someone I've have only know for a few months). It's not my problem to help them with bills and stuff until I have married them.

1. I would never go to these sites to met someone. 2. if someone ask me about lending them money, my answer is sorry but NO (I have a total limit of about $50 per person). I don't care about their sob story, I know that sounds harsh but why would I give hundreds or thousands of my hard earnt money to a basically a stranger. And to be honest if a new love interest ask me about money I would be very wary (especially someone I've have only know for a few months). It's not my problem to help them with bills and stuff until I have married them.
I agree that should be a warning to run

In this day and age I'm still amazed at the number of people who get taken in by scammers. There is so much publicity around, and people still get scammed. The old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted" is 100% correct. It does not need to happen and I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy for those foolish enough to be taken in by scammers.

Me t
In this day and age I'm still amazed at the number of people who get taken in by scammers. There is so much publicity around, and people still get scammed. The old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted" is 100% correct. It does not need to happen and I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy for those foolish enough to be taken in by scammers. Me too

When I ran a non profit friendship group of single men and women, I charged $5 only every 6 months for news letter, I covered the phone calls back to clients.
Arranged different venues at clubs at restaurants days away picnics dance nights bus outings men and women 45 to 75 we all met introduced each other....instead walking into a place not knowing anyone, I thrived to make sure everyone felt comfortable.

If it was a dance night and men didn't get up I asked ladies to go and ask for a dance.

It was relaxed group of 300 who had their say, suggested venues, met with people in same boat as to say.

They all became friends, and continued the friendship years later. There was no pressure of any kind.
We all had great laugh shared joys and moments and supported each other, helped each other. Held nights at members home on their invite...
We knew each other made many friendship enjoyed each other's company instead been lonely, and out of that group 12 people coupled up got married without pressure.

1 guy really liked this girl wanted to get engaged didn't have money for ring, I saw how much in love they where at the time
, so I offered my engagement ring and said hope it brings you more luck, it's been sitting in draw gathering dust . Hope you will accept it and make her happy.
Both where very shy and by the looks of it neither had been with a previous partner.

The group was informal if they wanted to attend the venues they did as I said no pressure.
One guy was in his 80s I saw loneliness in his eyes, he came not expecting to be allowed as he was older than rest, I said you are welcome introduce yourself to rest of the group, he had good humour made everyone laugh, asked all the ladies up for a dance, a good sort and he turned up at each venue.

Let's have no more loneliness in the world, stretch your hand and heart out if you see neighbours men or women who are isolated just say hi how are you.

I do have a counsellor degree that helped many and putting a positive outlook on their situation or suggesting other options helped.

Baby bird you are one in a million , it’s a shame people are so. lonely they need to g et on these sites. Once you could go out and meet people what ha s happened to society.?

Reactions: Ezzy and Babybird

View attachment 29326

Key Takeaways

Never a borrower nor lender be

Reactions: Babybird and Leenie
Baby bird you are one in a million , it’s a shame people are so. lonely they need to g et on these sites. Once you could go out and meet people what ha s happened to society.?
So many scammers in men and women people are afraid. These days .
Thank you

Reactions: Ezzy

Mind you I didn't know anyone in new town
So I gave it a go it was a hit so many like myself move into area don't know anyone etc

This guy came to the group said they kept billing him for dates he didn't have...I told him close that credit card. Contact ombudsman and fair trade.
Guess what he found partner in the group was so happy for him. But it didn't occur to him close the account.

Reactions: Ezzy and Leenie
In this day and age I'm still amazed at the number of people who get taken in by scammers. There is so much publicity around, and people still get scammed. The old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted" is 100% correct. It does not need to happen and I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy for those foolish enough to be taken in by scammers.
We don't know how lonely they are. People do things to belong..some are Nieves too not st wise

Mind you I didn't know anyone in new town
So I gave it a go it was a hit so many like myself move into area don't know anyone etc

This guy came to the group said they kept billing him for dates he didn't have...I told him close that credit card. Contact ombudsman and fair trade.
Guess what he found partner in the group was so happy for him. But it didn't occur to him close the account.
Men sometimes can get taken because they are lonely that's why there are groups dinner groups you meet face to face only pay for your meal if you are asked for credit cards say you don't have one. Don't agree to anything else. There are genuine clubs out there as well as shonky ones. So be careful 🙏.