Police officer’s ‘heroic’ action saves senior from scammers: ‘He rescued me’

In a world where technology has become an integral part of our daily lives, it's easy to forget that it can also be a double-edged sword.

The digital age has brought about a new wave of sophisticated scams targeting those who may be less tech-savvy.

But amidst these tales of deceit and trickery, there are glimmers of hope and heroism, such as an off-duty police officer whose keen observation and quick thinking saved an elderly woman from losing a significant sum of money to ruthless scammers.

The incident unfolded in Adelaide when an 84-year-old woman, who has chosen to remain anonymous, fell victim to a scam.

‘At about 10 am, I was just about finished reading the news online when an absolutely blaring, loud sound with flashing red lights appeared saying I'd been hacked and to call the support line,’ the woman said.

compressed-Screenshot 2024-08-30 at 7.43.08 AM.jpeg
A cop saved an elderly woman from losing a huge sum of money to scammers. Credit: South Australia Police

‘A mistake I made was I didn't check the number before calling.’

The scammers, posing as bank officials, subjected her to a series of seemingly legitimate phone banking questions.

They then convinced her that $17,000 of her money had been transferred to a cryptocurrency wallet and that she needed to withdraw the same amount in cash and deposit it into a crypto ATM to reverse the transaction.

Despite her bank's inquiries, the woman, under the scammers' pressure, withdrew $5,000, hoping to salvage her finances.

'I should have checked the number, called back on a reputable number, checked with my bank, and not reacted in a panic,' the woman later reflected.

‘I was told not to contact friends or family and to tell the bank teller the money I was withdrawing was for my daughter. Looking back, that was a red flag.’

It was around 4 pm that day when Sergeant David Mitchell, an off-duty officer from the financial and cybercrime investigation branch, noticed the woman in distress at the crypto ATM.

‘I'm walking past, and I see the victim feeding money into the crypto ATM and immediately my adrenaline spikes because I could also see that she was on the phone,’ Mitchell said.

‘So, I've rushed in and yelled “stop”. I showed my ID and identified myself as a police officer because I was out of uniform and tried to prevent her from putting any more cash into the ATM.’

He explained that he had to take the money and phone from the woman to prevent her from adding more.

‘I spoke to the scammer, but he didn't believe I was a police officer. He hung up, and a woman called back, claiming to be the victim's daughter,’ he said.

‘I told them both how disgraceful and despicable they are before I was hung up on again.’

Despite his efforts, the scammers had already stolen $1,100, which was not recovered. However, thanks to Mitchell's timely action, the remaining $3,900 was saved.

The police also found and removed remote access software installed on the woman's phone, which could have led to further exploitation.

The woman expressed her profound gratitude to Sergeant Mitchell, calling him a 'hero'.

Mitchell's dedication extended beyond the incident, as he visited her days later to ensure she was coping well after the traumatic experience.

‘I wrote a letter of thanks to the Commissioner,’ she said.

‘I am an elderly widow, and Sergeant Mitchell rescued me from the incredibly stressful situation I found myself in. He even visited me several days later to make sure I was okay.’
Key Takeaways

• An off-duty police officer saved an 84-year-old woman from losing $3900 to scammers after noticing her distress at a crypto ATM.
  • The elderly widow had already been scammed out of $1,100 by fraudsters using deepfake technology to impersonate her bank's support line.
  • Sergeant David Mitchell, who works in financial and cybercrime, intervened and stopped the woman from transferring more money, recovering the remaining $3900.
  • The scammers had installed remote access software on the woman's phone; police immediately removed it, and she thanked Sergeant Mitchell for his 'heroic' actions.
Have you or someone you know encountered a similar situation? What measures do you take to ensure your safety online? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below!

Sponsored
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a bitcoin ATM. Why would anyone want to use it compared to a proper ATM with proper money in it? How do you spend it in a shop anyway? Do you get told "That'll be 10/20/30 bitcoins please?"🤔

Every time I hear crypto or bitcoin mentioned I still think of it as toy money like the plastic coins you had as a kid to play with. 😁

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a bitcoin ATM. Why would anyone want to use it compared to a proper ATM with proper money in it? How do you spend it in a shop anyway? Do you get told "That'll be 10/20/30 bitcoins please?"🤔

Every time I hear crypto or bitcoin mentioned I still think of it as toy money like the plastic coins you had as a kid to play with. 😁
Ditto. I saw one, just this week at my local shopping centre

Poor lady. Tech can be a mystery , i am 84 but do everything line and have learned when it has anything to do with money leaving my bank account check and check again , I have a group of f book friends that I share the latest scam with. Odd phone calls I don’t answer then check reverse call au to be certain.
Good on her rescuer

Well done Sgt Mitchell,
Poor darling lady. I think the panic sets in and some don't see the red flags. Thank heavens the darling lady did not loose all he money.
The police officer was there just at the correct time bigger powers at work that day.
Kind regards to all Vicki

but its so very hard nowadays as things are getting so sophisticated, to tell what is the real thing, as some emails etc you get look so real same as centrelink, post office, etc etc if im not sure i ring up to make sure its the real thing , and not the number they say to ring, i would rather be safe than sorry

We were scammed our of everything we had in the bank including all the advance in our mortgage, I was on my computer and received a phone call from supposedly Microsoft and they told me they were going to put on an advanced security system, I had to remain on the phone they worked out my codes and whilst taking down all the various serial numbers they were giving me they were helping themselves to everything we had, we are now trying to continue paying our mortgage on a pension is not easy especially with rising interest rates and the cost of living but with friends, family and God we will come through this set back.

but its so very hard nowadays as things are getting so sophisticated, to tell what is the real thing, as some emails etc you get look so real same as centrelink, post office, etc etc if im not sure i ring up to make sure its the real thing , and not the number they say to ring, i would rather be safe than sorry
any dicey emails go straight to my scam box. you do not have to open emails you think are dicey.

I think that the reason is the lack of knowledge when using the internet. Also, many of us were raised in a world that trusted people,
the days of a handshake are well in the past. it seems to me they open anything and that is just idiotic. if they do not have the knowledge well get off it or be a fool. my sympathy has reached a dead end.

the days of a handshake are well in the past. it seems to me they open anything and that is just idiotic. if they do not have the knowledge well get off it or be a fool. my sympathy has reached a dead end.
Unfortunately, I'm one of those fools. My cousin originally gave me a laptop to bring me into the 21st century. I enjoyed using it for doing my family tree. I did plan to do a computer course & joined one then, unfortunately my father, who I cared for for 26 years, became very ill. He was a WW2 veteran who suffered a schrapnel wound to his head when Australians took Rabaul back from the Japanese. This schrapnel moved in his later years & caused him to have uncontrollable seizures. So I had a choice - care for him or do a computer course. I chose my father. I also neglected my health. It seems to me that you are lacking compassion for fools such as I. So sorry!

• Love
Reactions: Jo Piper3