Plane Drama: Passenger blocks woman from reclining seat on a 12-hour flight

It can be quite stressful being stuck in an aeroplane seat for hours with barely any room to move.

While reclining the seat may traditionally be considered a polite gesture to allow the person behind you a tiny fraction of breathing space on a long-haul flight, it can also cause contention among passengers.

This becomes especially clear with a reported incident on a Paris to Los Angeles flight this year, where a passenger behind a woman refused to allow her to recline her seat in a heated exchange.

The footage starts with a woman in a long black sleeve whose arm is stretched to the seat before her. The chair can be seen jolting since the woman in front is trying to recline her seat.

The passenger sitting in the back then used both arms, pushing back with strength to keep the front seat upright.

The woman in front looked back and inquired, apparently clueless as to why the person behind was resisting her actions: ‘Just let me know what’s going on?’

Screenshot 2023-08-16 131725.png
A passenger prevented a woman sitting in front of her from reclining her seat. Credit: Newsflare/YouTube

‘I said respectfully, can you please stop moving it back?’ the passenger in the back replied.

The woman in the front seat tried making her case, saying she was reclining her seat to sleep.

But the woman in the back seat was unconvinced. ‘Respect the person behind you’, she said before continuing to watch on her laptop. Eventually, the woman in front stopped reclining her seat.

The showdown had many viewers torn in their opinion of the incident, but the question is–who was right and wrong? Is it the right of every passenger to recline their seats, or are there moments when it’s just not okay?

Screenshot 2023-08-16 135955.png
The woman in the front asked to recline her seat, but the passenger behind her declined. Credit: Newsflare/YouTube

Luckily, several etiquette experts shed some light on this surprisingly contentious issue.

According to Nick Leighton, a podcast host and etiquette expert, you should never recline your seat if the passenger behind you is working on a laptop. He stated: 'Nobody likes their laptop snapped in half.'

Julia Esteve Boyd, an etiquette coach and podcaster from Switzerland, said that it’s entirely reasonable to recline your seat on a plane. Still, passengers shouldn’t do it too quickly out of respect for other people.

Lastly, aircraft expert Ben Schlappig of One Mile at a Time also stated that reclining an aeroplane seat is a right for all passengers, regardless of who they are flying with.

‘It’s quite simple,’ he said. ‘Reclining your seat, when the functionality is available, is a right. After all, the recline button is located at your seat and not the seat behind you.’

However, considering the person seated behind should still be taken into account. To avoid causing any annoyance, Ben recommended making eye contact or just finding some way to let the passenger behind you know that your seat will be going back.

Key Takeaways

• A passenger on a 12-hour flight refused to let the woman in front of her recline her seat, urging her to 'respect the person behind you'.
  • The travellers were flying from Paris to Los Angeles when the video captured the scene.
  • Experts shared advice on when it would not be acceptable to recline plane seats, for instance, when a passenger behind is working on their laptop.
  • Etiquette experts suggest making a small gesture to the person behind before reclining a seat, like making eye contact or signalling.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realise that being stuck in a flying tube for hours with limited room can be quite a stressful experience for everyone involved, but that doesn’t mean people should forget to be mindful of others. May cooler heads always prevail in these kinds of situations.

If ever you find yourself in a similar spot, don’t hesitate to call over the flight crew, who can mediate in strained passenger interactions. Members, what do you think? Is it okay to recline seats on flights? Let us know in the comments below!

In the meantime, you may watch the interaction here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ricki
Sponsored
It can be quite stressful being stuck in an aeroplane seat for hours with barely any room to move.

While reclining the seat may traditionally be considered a polite gesture to allow the person behind you a tiny fraction of breathing space on a long-haul flight, it can also cause contention among passengers.

This becomes especially clear with a reported incident on a Paris to Los Angeles flight this year, where a passenger behind a woman refused to allow her to recline her seat in a heated exchange.

The footage starts with a woman in a long black sleeve whose arm is stretched to the seat before her. The chair can be seen jolting since the woman in front is trying to recline her seat.

The passenger sitting in the back then used both arms, pushing back with strength to keep the front seat upright.

The woman in front looked back and inquired, apparently clueless as to why the person behind was resisting her actions: ‘Just let me know what’s going on?’

View attachment 27586
A passenger prevented a woman sitting in front of her from reclining her seat. Credit: Newsflare/YouTube

‘I said respectfully, can you please stop moving it back?’ the passenger in the back replied.

The woman in the front seat tried making her case, saying she was reclining her seat to sleep.

But the woman in the back seat was unconvinced. ‘Respect the person behind you’, she said before continuing to watch on her laptop. Eventually, the woman in front stopped reclining her seat.

The showdown had many viewers torn in their opinion of the incident, but the question is–who was right and wrong? Is it the right of every passenger to recline their seats, or are there moments when it’s just not okay?

View attachment 27587
The woman in the front asked to recline her seat, but the passenger behind her declined. Credit: Newsflare/YouTube

Luckily, several etiquette experts shed some light on this surprisingly contentious issue.

According to Nick Leighton, a podcast host and etiquette expert, you should never recline your seat if the passenger behind you is working on a laptop. He stated: 'Nobody likes their laptop snapped in half.'

Julia Esteve Boyd, an etiquette coach and podcaster from Switzerland, said that it’s entirely reasonable to recline your seat on a plane. Still, passengers shouldn’t do it too quickly out of respect for other people.

Lastly, aircraft expert Ben Schlappig of One Mile at a Time also stated that reclining an aeroplane seat is a right for all passengers, regardless of who they are flying with.

‘It’s quite simple,’ he said. ‘Reclining your seat, when the functionality is available, is a right. After all, the recline button is located at your seat and not the seat behind you.’

However, considering the person seated behind should still be taken into account. To avoid causing any annoyance, Ben recommended making eye contact or just finding some way to let the passenger behind you know that your seat will be going back.

Key Takeaways

• A passenger on a 12-hour flight refused to let the woman in front of her recline her seat, urging her to 'respect the person behind you'.
  • The travellers were flying from Paris to Los Angeles when the video captured the scene.
  • Experts shared advice on when it would not be acceptable to recline plane seats, for instance, when a passenger behind is working on their laptop.
  • Etiquette experts suggest making a small gesture to the person behind before reclining a seat, like making eye contact or signalling.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realise that being stuck in a flying tube for hours with limited room can be quite a stressful experience for everyone involved, but that doesn’t mean people should forget to be mindful of others. May cooler heads always prevail in these kinds of situations.

If ever you find yourself in a similar spot, don’t hesitate to call over the flight crew, who can mediate in strained passenger interactions. Members, what do you think? Is it okay to recline seats on flights? Let us know in the comments below!

What a cow !

Reactions: Shoaney

View attachment 27586

View attachment 27587

Key Takeaways

ask first also they do not recline that far back.

The seats a designed for the person from in front to recline, they have every right to recline there seat. I have never asked to move my backwards as it is part of your seat not theirs. Being careful durng meal times is different wait until after meal break then do it, no permission required.

What you pay for on a flight is to use the seat area you have been allocated, including all its facilities! Tray table/ seat belt/ headrest and reclining button. If the person behind you is using something that interferes with your use of what you have paid for - then I’m sorry it’s
In cattle class is not enough room for declining, shouldn't be an option.

on them not you!

SERIOUSLY!!!! Why has this only become an issue recently???? Seats have been reclining on aircraft for over 70 years!!!!!! If the seat has a recline function THEN THE PERSON IN THAT SEAT CAN RECLINE IT!!!!
Stop being so F___ng precious and get over it!! And YES..... I recline my seat slowly. And NO...... I will not be asking the person behind me if it's ok!! Just like I won't ask them if I can go to the toilet!!

This nonsense has only popped up in the past few years and for decades before this entitled generation began sharing their idiotic views on social media, I have flown cattle class and reclined my seat when the lights were put out by cabin crew. And no, I do not ask to lower my seat.

If someone wishes to use their laptop during the flight, it may be an idea for them to pay for business class tickets. Whilst I take my lapttop with me wherever I go, it stays in my on-board luggage.

I travel extensively. When going overseas it's not a problem as there is more room but I still ask the person behind me if they don't mind. Never had one person get angry an say no. As for domestic flights, can't find a reason to have to lay back even when going coast to coast. It's not that long a flight but if necessary, have the courtesy to speak to the person behind.

The seats a designed for the person from in front to recline, they have every right to recline there seat. I have never asked to move my backwards as it is part of your seat not theirs. Being careful durng meal times is different wait until after meal break then do it, no permission required.
Agree totally

Reactions: Jennylolo

View attachment 27586

View attachment 27587

Key Takeaways

She is just a horrible human, they are reclining for a reason.

SERIOUSLY!!!! Why has this only become an issue recently???? Seats have been reclining on aircraft for over 70 years!!!!!! If the seat has a recline function THEN THE PERSON IN THAT SEAT CAN RECLINE IT!!!!
Stop being so F___ng precious and get over it!! And YES..... I recline my seat slowly. And NO...... I will not be asking the person behind me if it's ok!! Just like I won't ask them if I can go to the toilet!!
Perfectly said! My sentiments exactly. Respect 4shor but I paid for my seat , not you. Don't make your problem, my problem. Entitled people, I say!

Because of this problem I have been flying Business Class or upgrade whenever possible. I will never fly again cattle class on a long flight!

View attachment 27586

View attachment 27587

Key Takeaways

I think of course we have to expect that people will decline their seats to be more comfortable. However I think a little courtesy doesn’t go astray. Simply let the person know or say is it ok I’d like to lean my seat back a bit. I’ve had occasion when the passenger in front reclined the seat rapidly while I was still having my meal. It almost threw the food and drink onto my lap. So be polite and ask. Especially when the meals may not be finished.