Physical therapist reveals simple, senior-friendly workouts that can help improve your balance and stability!

As we age, our bodies go through a lot of changes. One of the most common of these is the weakening of bones and muscles, which can make it more difficult to support our own weight and potentially lead to falls. We don’t know about you lot, but our eyes aren’t as sharp as they used to be either, meaning tripping hazards are all over the place, too.

A nasty fall, even in the peak of health, can do serious damage, so it’s something to be particularly mindful of as we get older.

Fortunately, there are some things that we can do to maintain or improve our balance and stability. Physical therapist and senior fitness coach Doug Shrift has four great exercises that you can try at home.

We’re going to go through them below, but members, before we share them with you, we have to ask that you please consult your GP for medical advice to make sure these workouts are right for you before attempting any of them.

With that disclaimer out of the way, let’s begin!

Credit: YouTube/Eldergym Fitness for Seniors

1. The Tandem Stance

sxZBbG_Hkd0G77Xl2GIkID7jzHolqReNzVxk_mNfQD0wFzd02yHgbstKt8BNzUoS8yhg9GjN6aRr-0lAE22twz23WlZF5m9G1Fqu0K-q-zuZXTj4yE4nkMTykrahvYqNbZcgS5MlxwvFuJjq2X74AA
DbfWpkc2KWTrKJbL3V1y7CIL5TL1mrwUzTEDVZ0cpXhmfNtIMTj44RCOZThJEMe-EoCq-sI6X9evM7XNu6IbTVs568TETb-DAzFSZ0KqJYIwOHPZCcem6F2VDNR943FGO9lSviovLwv3O-NbcIY-Rg

The Tandem Stance exercise work on improving the vestibular system. Credit: YouTube/Eldergym Fitness for Seniors.

If you’re experiencing issues with maintaining your ‘support’ while standing still, this exercise is perfect!

To do the tandem stance, stand next to a chair with both feet about hip-width apart, and take a step forward while holding on to the chair. Look around the room for a few seconds.

'Now, what this does is now narrows our base of support and by moving our head around we're really working on our vestibular system and our balance system,' Coach Shrift explained.

For those of you who do not know what the vestibular system does to our body, it is the sensory system that transmits information on motion, head position, and spatial orientation to the brain.

You can also try it without holding on to the chair! The fitness coach said you can 'take your fingers off the chair' while maintaining your balance. Make sure that you relax while you do this, and that you’re standing on a relatively soft surface just in case!

2. Heel Walking

qYBKdyPQqmxRYCowEuo4X-5T4E7fQvMhS4rHwrC5rWa8HJmZvEdHBayzozzsPh_Zc2FCGFB9uC12YiI4UI4ITmcpt-Ojv7sY6TkpCe7zW632OXtm1_YwXFZAvpVWb6npoNVqeDtDIm1FRXEh5gNxEw
5znlSNqc8cOUI-HTFqknLZf8XMK-DGXXfNjpgyvqbmq2Bkg5ds5IR4WmyLZF8bL4qhHZ6oPnS5RMBxC8iAUPKKmsc6U2rNEHokbrKRqfoKHotMHSpS2Vy8Q-I58eJjh2mpfBroYuteD_hP74X-6lcg

Performing this exercise needs extra precaution as this routine is challenging. Credit: YouTube/Eldergym Fitness for Seniors.

This exercise helps you maintain your balance while you’re in motion.

To do this, stand with a chair nearby for support and walk around the chair on your heels. This exercise is similar to walking on ice skates and can be quite challenging. Try walking around the chair a few times, and then switch directions.

Keep in mind members that this exercise is not as easy as it sounds! So you need to be extra careful when attempting this.

3. Square

YxiaBJA4iHyTIDj0NcOLxC8ztYA8BD4V2kfgnK4HLIDQRS2YQz-FU8ks5TDD_Jw7-UafEZyNJNl-XSRvg6NRbE3mbVX1HB8D0T9GyBsQ3bDbaIhlych1_OMBzCCd3h4A9epBPlcbqKKSZBtt01SBPA
s5D4TRjgSpqIsx4vEtpGXTum2-jJINkQesrk6BblsoCNyWesi2nYKj2mwdxyjd2AuaAaRyAufSvQLpj3Lt1nNHiTAa0M--RNFsE0cMVyJ41V579eBcVAUh08QlzWA53AXAsjI3PdGEl7ZGb_Aq25yQ

This routine is perfect for those who struggle with maintaining their balance and stability when moving in various directions. Credit: YouTube/Eldergym Fitness for Seniors.

Mr Shrift encouraged older people who struggle with maintaining their balance and coordination when moving in various directions to give this exercise a shot!

Perform this exercise by starting with imagining there's a square in front of you. Then, step forward, to the side, back, and over, making sure to touch each corner of the square. You can start out slow, but once you get the hang of it, try speeding up and even jumping on each corner.

4. Leg Swings

8ARXmCt34mqvbxfMcAUlSW6yl3J8ARorSL249DDX_Jl-52krdbMmw6H0BXT1YaK9knIhgPgCFS9gITbIxypMQiAc6RbNUmUngqJ2362Iw3bbtqI6fV1ixNkrtezMYFCd3m0q2nHL_hpHiQbrEExPiQ
cUr76FoWjVwp7Z7wIit8AY76oi1wTzLQVfWRw3dfnhRYf8nKQupkriFIPBwnxj5OzYmopN2TVXKwtCxAphZYYHGNEOpGJCBYmA54EprVbOsp0zMuFYZn4lANQCyjpijKOf9j0vmo0h0bAh2aWazneQ

Keep practising this exercise to improve the strength of your legs. Credit: YouTube/Eldergym Fitness for Seniors.

The leg swing is a simple but effective balance exercise that anyone can do. Start by swinging your leg forward and backward, then switch to the other leg. You'll notice that your leg is trying to throw you off balance. That's the whole point! By using your planted leg to resist, you're strengthening your leg muscles and improving your balance.

Do two or three sets of leg swings every day to keep your legs strong and your balance in good shape.

Remember: it takes time for exercise to have an impact on your overall well-being. So, if you’ve checked with a medical professional and confirmed that you’re fit to perform these exercises (and are willing to put in the effort to learn them), we hope you stick to a regular regimen and keep in mind that you won't see improvements overnight..

So, there you have it, folks! Stay safe!

Sponsored
I've had back pain and have been seeing a physio, she has shown me easy exercises which have helped alot.

I have tentanitis and bursitis in the shoulder and as soon as it hurts I do these exercises which is mainly stretching. Even standing with your back on the wall and stand straight but relax your shoulders is also very helpful.

I suffer pain across the middle of my back but apparently it is because my back is taking on extra support because of stomach surgery. I had cupping done on that and it relieved it straight away

After having two knee replacements, I think these exercises look like something I should try.
They were not on the sheet that the Rehab Hospital sent me home with. So I will just incorporate then into my routine.

After having two knee replacements, I think these exercises look like something I should try.
They were not on the sheet that the Rehab Hospital sent me home with. So I will just incorporate then into my routine.
I've been avoiding 2 knee replacements as those I know who did aren't exercising like this. Worth a try.

I've had back pain and have been seeing a physio, she has shown me easy exercises which have helped alot.

I have tentanitis and bursitis in the shoulder and as soon as it hurts I do these exercises which is mainly stretching. Even standing with your back on the wall and stand straight but relax your shoulders is also very helpful.

I suffer pain across the middle of my back but apparently it is because my back is taking on extra support because of stomach surgery. I had cupping done on that and it relieved it straight away
I have pain everywhere and have worked with physics at start, and then chiropractic and remedial therapy. I have wondered about cupping.

I have pain everywhere and have worked with physics at start, and then chiropractic and remedial therapy. I have wondered about cupping.
I didn't go in for cupping she just did it and I couldn't believe how good it is the pain is gone from the middleof my back I saw instant results. Hurts for a few seconds then it's fine. Next she did acupuncture on my shoulder and that did absolutely nothing

Reactions: Zoya and Jennylolo
Recently I have pain behind my left hip which feels like a bunched-up muscle. Whatever I did didn't seem to work until a friend suggested this. 'Stand upright and cross one leg in front of the other and put your feet together so the little toes are close to each other, almost touching. Bend forward for about 5 seconds. Repeat a few times.' It's that easy! The difference, for me, was instant! It's been 5 days and the pain which stuck around for weeks has almost completely gone.

Recently I have pain behind my left hip which feels like a bunched-up muscle. Whatever I did didn't seem to work until a friend suggested this. 'Stand upright and cross one leg in front of the other and put your feet together so the little toes are close to each other, almost touching. Bend forward for about 5 seconds. Repeat a few times.' It's that easy! The difference, for me, was instant! It's been 5 days and the pain which stuck around for weeks has almost completely gone.
I should try that too as I get pain behind my left hip. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suzanne rose
It's so amazing what stretching and holding it can do