Photo of $5.50 lettuce displayed at Coles sparks controversy, many point out that the image reflects Australia’s true cost of living

A photo of lettuces on display on one of the shelves at a Coles store has sparked controversy among Aussies, with many pointing out that the image is a reflection of the true cost of living in the country.

Can you see what the fuss is all about?

The concerning image, posted on Reddit on Tuesday, has sparked an uproar on social media after it featured $5.50 lettuces being retailed at Coles.

u02j7Ar8vtvs3soGexTVr-DEv4Ku_amGsGB4cryNsTNFpE__RwMuTWIzd05a0gNFF9j4J2axEZHWMCUfLfMvOzUsvlaI-hY0k3mPVavRLOj9__i2HUYFDzLgt4v9CIEV6lmI7_w

A Coles shopper has taken to Reddit to share a photo of lettuces being sold for $5.50. Credit: Reddit.

Aussie social media users said that the "shocking" price of the crop did not surprise them as prices of commodities have drastically soared.

One person wrote: “A few weeks ago when our supermarkets had a massive food shortage as a last resort I went to my local Aldi to try and get some fresh fruit and vegetables."

“They had lettuce half this size and were charging $5.50 each for them.”

Another asked: "What's going on?"

"Nearly everything I routinely buy seems to have increased [by] 15-20%. The increases are not small."

We previously reported that several factors — such as the COVID economic recovery, high freight costs due to supply chain issues, recent extreme weather events, and the Russia-Ukraine conflict — are causing massive price hikes in groceries.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison addressed these issues earlier this month at the AFR Business Summit, saying: “Food and grain prices are rising, which will pose challenges to lower-income economies, including many in our own region.”

“Commodity price rises will be the most obvious transmission channel to Australia. Petrol prices in Australia have risen like they are elsewhere.”

It should also be noted that last week, Ritchies IGA chief executive Fred Harrison warned Aussies to brace for the increase in prices on fresh and frozen food in the coming weeks.

Mr Harrison said: “Vegetables are very scarce at the moment due to the floods.”

“So we’ve seen cabbages, potatoes and broccoli in particular jump 75 per cent compared to a couple of weeks ago.”

While frozen products will still remain "relatively cheaper" compared to fresh produce, price hikes on various food items will remain high for at least six months.

“Frozen vegetables have not recovered from the pandemic,” he said.

“There’s a major shortage – whether it be McCain Foods or Simplot, suppliers are really battling to get the good stock weight to us.

“I’ve got no doubt those suppliers are going to put price increases through the system, but that will take a few months to come through.

“There is going to be a shortage of frozen products in the next couple of months, but it will still be relatively cheaper than buying fresh produce.”

G41OThtEUuP7PLxNKYetOkkdqrSZj0iJty_WhHGiI9xiM9-7VHuxFexC_hcxegHd46YkPGxZ58Asjc-bhUTb6hnP5LvyN6kpIkdSG5oc05JGi8ObzFGwR1nuEL30WZf4n5Rkl2w

Australians are warned to brace for soaring prices of groceries that may last for at least six months. Credit: Brad Fleet.

Meanwhile, a Coles spokesperson also commented on the issue, saying that the company is working on minimising the impacts of inflation on its products.

The spokesperson said: "Coles’ mission is to build strong, multigenerational, collaborative partnerships with Australian farmers and producers”.

“These partnerships enable us to source directly from suppliers and help us secure faster, fresher produce at great value for our customers."

“We are supporting our suppliers in areas impacted by the recent floods by visiting their sites to meet with growers and understand their individual impact, purchasing the product they have available, and continuing to work collaboratively with them in coming weeks and months as they re-establish operations.”

What are your thoughts on this? Is the government doing enough to address the soaring prices of commodities? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Photo of $5.50 lettuce displayed at Coles sparks controversy, many point out that the image reflects Australia’s true cost of living

A photo of lettuces on display on one of the shelves at a Coles store has sparked controversy among Aussies, with many pointing out that the image is a reflection of the true cost of living in the country.

The concerning image, posted on Reddit on Tuesday, has sparked an uproar on social media after it featured $5.50 lettuces being retailed at Coles.

u02j7Ar8vtvs3soGexTVr-DEv4Ku_amGsGB4cryNsTNFpE__RwMuTWIzd05a0gNFF9j4J2axEZHWMCUfLfMvOzUsvlaI-hY0k3mPVavRLOj9__i2HUYFDzLgt4v9CIEV6lmI7_w

A Coles shopper has taken to Reddit to share a photo of lettuces being sold for $5.50. Credit: Reddit.

Aussie social media users said that the "shocking" price of the crop did not surprise them as prices of commodities have drastically soared.

One person wrote: “A few weeks ago when our supermarkets had a massive food shortage as a last resort I went to my local Aldi to try and get some fresh fruit and vegetables."

"Nearly everything I routinely buy seems to have increased [by] 15-20%. The increases are not small."

We previously reported that several factors — such as the COVID economic recovery, high freight costs due to supply chain issues, recent extreme weather events, and the Russia-Ukraine conflict — are causing massive price hikes in groceries.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison addressed these issues earlier this month at the AFR Business Summit, saying: “Food and grain prices are rising, which will pose challenges to lower-income economies, including many in our own region.”

“Commodity price rises will be the most obvious transmission channel to Australia. Petrol prices in Australia have risen like they are elsewhere.”

It should also be noted that last week, Ritchies IGA chief executive Fred Harrison warned Aussies to brace for the increase in prices on fresh and frozen food in the coming weeks.

“So we’ve seen cabbages, potatoes and broccoli in particular jump 75 per cent compared to a couple of weeks ago.”

While frozen products will still remain "relatively cheaper" compared to fresh produce, price hikes on various food items will remain high for at least six months.

“There’s a major shortage – whether it be McCain Foods or Simplot, suppliers are really battling to get the good stock weight to us.

“I’ve got no doubt those suppliers are going to put price increases through the system, but that will take a few months to come through.

“There is going to be a shortage of frozen products in the next couple of months, but it will still be relatively cheaper than buying fresh produce.”

G41OThtEUuP7PLxNKYetOkkdqrSZj0iJty_WhHGiI9xiM9-7VHuxFexC_hcxegHd46YkPGxZ58Asjc-bhUTb6hnP5LvyN6kpIkdSG5oc05JGi8ObzFGwR1nuEL30WZf4n5Rkl2w

Australians are warned to brace for soaring prices of groceries that may last for at least six months. Credit: Brad Fleet.

Meanwhile, a Coles spokesperson also commented on the issue, saying that the company is working on minimising the impacts of inflation on its products.

The spokesperson said: "Coles’ mission is to build strong, multigenerational, collaborative partnerships with Australian farmers and producers”.

“These partnerships enable us to source directly from suppliers and help us secure faster, fresher produce at great value for our customers."

“We are supporting our suppliers in areas impacted by the recent floods by visiting their sites to meet with growers and understand their individual impact, purchasing the product they have available, and continuing to work collaboratively with them in coming weeks and months as they re-establish operations.”

What are your thoughts on this? Is the government doing enough to address the soaring prices of commodities? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Went to buy some fresh beans from Drake's Supermarket early this week but could not bring myself to pay $19 per kilo. Absolutely ridiculous especially when Farmer Joe's at Port Adelaide were selling them at $4.99.

Our shopping has gone right through the roof. Shopped at Coles yesterday and everything was gone up. They are making out its to do with floods. Food not getting through. And farms flooded. They used COVID for rising prices now they have floods. I feel sorry for people who are on a budget.

Reactions: Ricci
I’m in WA no floods here, locally grown lettuce $3 ea a jump of 50 cents, makes me very angry. I need 30 lettuces per day and then you find the leaf stripped down to a small crown and the bins are empty to raid for throw always

Reactions: Julia TH and Ricci

They look better than the ones at our local Coles they were brown

All the Vegies at the moment are crazily expensive, which is not a surprise due to the floods and all the rain.
But, how can we go by the 3 serves a day of different ones??

• Sad
Coles, Dandenong Victoria has lovely lettuces today for $4.50.
Also beware of Specials. I purchased CHUX Dish Pro non scratch sponges which was in the catalogue for $3.50 but it scanned as $6.00. Which was the normal price.
I always check my dockets, and they refunded me the $6.00.

Reactions: Julie1 and Ricci

and have a look at them, they are already starting to go brown, these people use ANY excuse to put up or keep the prices up, the Government can do something but don't, they are lazy and useless our Governments and our two super markets in Australia are so much more worried about their share holders making money than anything else, really what sort of country have we been turned into, no manufacturing, no fuel, two and half super markets, no new hospitals, what a mess.

• Sad
Reactions: Gaena and Ricci

I bought a large Iceberg Lettuce from Fresh and Save for $2.99. I get the Fresh and Save emails twice a week. Once with their weekly specials and Thursday their 1 day special. IGA is comparable. Being aged pensioners I rarely shop at Coles as they are too expensive. I use Aldi, Fresh and Save and Woolworths where I get $10 off a shop once a month. I also have Woolworths Card I pay off monthly and rewards card which is used for Petrol.

Consumers need to understand, especially the growing of lettuce and the harvesting, has suffered greatly with all the wet weather. Crops have been ruined and farmers are suffering. Even the replanting will be difficult. It can take months to get things back on track.
So just be patient and think of those people who are having a hard time in trying to continue to supply their products.

Stop blaming the government for everything. We are ALL responsible!

Consumers need to understand, especially the growing of lettuce and the harvesting, has suffered greatly with all the wet weather. Crops have been ruined and farmers are suffering. Even the replanting will be difficult. It can take months to get things back on track.
So just be patient and think of those people who are having a hard time in trying to continue to supply their products.
Hi Mags133;
You are not wrong in your comment.
My partner is an IGA supermarket manager (the only supermarket in our town) and I know first hand some if not all of the problems he has to deal with first hand on a daily basis.
The way things are with everything going on and happening worldwide (some stock does come from overseas believe it or not.)
If these lettuces shock people think of the produce that doesn’t make it into the fruit and veg section. You’d be surprised at the stock sent to supermarkets sometimes.
If you live where there’s at least two to three different supermarkets think yourself lucky.
If I want to go to a Woolies or an Aldi supermarket it’s a 40 drive one way and I don’t go mainly because of COVID-19 and the cost of petrol too now.
If I can afford I buy it if not I don’t get it.
Simple.

All good if you have an alternative, living up past Townsville we do not have the luxury of multiple supermarkets or independents, Coles and Woolworths has closed them all down where we are and Aldi has not arrived here yet.
They keep blaming fuel and freight, funny thing is the Chemists and 2 dollar shops and most other places seem to be able to get stock and not inflate the prices, it seems it is mainly the two Supermarkets having trouble keeping everything 'normal'