Photo of ‘Australian delicacy’ receives mixed reactions: ‘Absolutely revolting’

When it comes to Australian cuisine, the usual suspects often dominate the conversation: Vegemite, meat pies, and fairy bread are staples that have stood the test of time.

But another contender has been causing quite a stir on social media lately—a dish that some hail as an 'Australian delicacy’ while others are less than impressed.

It's the 'Australian pig in a blanket' or 'devon roll', and it's got Aussies all over the country chattering—and perhaps a bit nostalgic.

The devon roll, for those who haven't had the pleasure (or displeasure, depending on who you ask), consists of mashed potato and onion wrapped snugly in a slice of devon—a type of luncheon meat known in some parts of the world as bologna.

This snack, secured with a toothpick, was a hit in the last century, and it seems many Australians still enjoy it today.

81d4a71fabb9459de872629c025feec4.jpeg
The devon roll is an ‘Australian delicacy’ that was popular in the last century. Credit: Facebook

A recent post on social media showcased this snack, sparking a debate that has divided the nation.

'Why aren't these served at kids' birthday parties anymore? Who said Australia doesn't have fine cuisine,' the original poster mused.

The reactions were as varied. Some social media users reminisced about the uniquely Australian treat from their childhood, while others were less than enthusiastic.

'Got to be honest, I have never had it and am not really drawn to it! It looks absolutely revolting,' one commenter expressed.

Others offered twists on the classic recipe, saying, ‘Had to have mayo in the mash and onion and the mash was better rough rather than smooth.’

'I remember when my kids were little, we had this for dinner one night, and it was great, lol,' shared another.

But not everyone is on board with this culinary blast from the past.

'I can honestly say, hand on heart, I’m Aussie and never had one in my life,' one person commented.

Despite the mixed reviews, the devon roll has its loyal fans.

'Some call them pigs in blankets or mashed potatoes, and devon rolls either way, I love them a must for parties,' a supporter declared.

‘I had them as a child. Mum made them for parties, and then I made them for my kids' parties, and they make them for their kids now,’ another said.

A third reminisced, 'It was a summer meal at our house. Devon and mashed potato rolls and salad…Yum.'

‘Love them and still make them this way, “pig’s in blankets” is what our parents called them,’ a fourth added.

If you love indulging in snacks, this combination of two flavours into one may be something you want to try!

In a previous story, Twisties introduced a new flavour combining chicken and cheese flavours.

However, this new flavour created division among Australians, with reactions ranging from excitement to the view that Twisties are 'officially ruined’. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • An image of a dish known as an 'Australian pig in a blanket' or 'devon roll' has sparked debate among Australians on social media.
  • While some praise the snack, which combines mashed potato and onion wrapped in devon, as a nostalgic treat, others express disgust or unfamiliarity with it.
  • The dish holds a place in Australian culinary history, with some people recounting fond childhood memories or commenting on its role in family and party food traditions.
  • Reactions to the dish are mixed, with comments ranging from enthusiasm and recipes for personal touches to outright rejection and surprise at its existence.
Have you ever indulged in a devon roll? Do you have fond memories of this snack, or do you agree with the naysayers? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
The mere mention of devon reminds of kids who had devon and tomato sauce sandwiches. You could smell them a mile away and it was putrid. A waste of good tomato sauce and bread.

Pigs in a blanket? I don't think any self respecting pig would even eat them! :sick:
I doubt that they would get a good night's sleep in them either.

Never heard of it. We call Devon ‘polony ‘ over here in WA and I’ve never come across this stunning recipe. If I was offered it, I would (politely) refuse. Yuck!!
Could be a while before this culinary delight reaches the shores of WA you lot being very parochial as you are! (Love ya guys.)

“Give them a go” not on your Nellie mr chips.
Processed meat 🤢no thanks and goodness knows what the so called meat is and is it salty also probably. 👎 Eeew linked to stomach and bowel cancers just looked it up.tuck in losers🤣
I would say that touched a nerve but thank you for your comments, by the way, did you know that everything you eat, drink, or breathe is linked to stomach and bowel cancers?

Reactions: Jena60
I would say that touched a nerve but thank you for your comments, by the way, did you know that everything you eat, drink, or breathe is linked to stomach and bowel cancers?
Not at all mr chippie 😊

Last edited:
I'm 77 and I've never heard of them (and certainly don't regret never having one). Were they popular in a certain state? I have never seen them in Victoria. Maybe they were a South Australian thing - I think they call it Devon there.
Popular in NSW