Could your iPhone charger be a fire risk? Learn how to avoid the potential danger!

We know that technology is a double-edged sword. It can be very convenient and time-saving, but all of it comes at a cost—financially speaking.

Take smartphones, for example. Buying the latest model is already pricey, and then there's the extra cost of a charger.

This is why some opt for a more wallet-friendly alternative to the original Apple charger, opting for a cheaper ‘no name’ brand. However, doing so risks the chance of getting a faulty ‘knock-off’.

That is what one mum found out recently when her charger nearly started a house fire.

Belinda’s non-Apple iPhone charger was plugged into the wall but unused in her bedroom when she started to smell smoke.

The cause? Turns out that not long after she had unplugged her phone, the cable caught fire on her rug.

Luckily, she was home during the incident and was able to quickly put out the flames before they could spread.

phone-6195964_1280.jpg
In 2023, 52.9% of Australians use Android, while 47.1% use iOS. Image source: Pixabay

Belinda shared her alarming experience on Mum Central (an Australian-based parenting community), to warn others about the potential dangers.

‘Laying in bed this morning and could smell what I thought was electrical burning smell. I thought it may have been wires in the ceiling and the smell coming through the air-con vents,’ she wrote in a post to Mum Central.

‘I got up [and] was just about to go up into the roof to see if the smell was up there and my son walked into our bedroom and asked why there was smoke!’

Rushing back to her bedroom, Belinda saw smoke from her rug, where her iPhone cable was placed.

When Belinda lifted it off the rug, she said it was ‘glowing bright orange’ and on fire, with the end partially melted.

76142057-12591309-Mum_Bel_has_a_close_call_after_her_iPhone_charger_started_a_smal-a-62_169638...jpg

Belinda had a scary moment when her iPhone charger caused a little fire in her room, burning a spot on her carpet. Image source: Social media – Facebook (@MumCentral)

‘I used it to charge my phone last night and noticed it was a bit hot when I unplugged it half [an] hour before but didn't think too much of it,’ she recalled.

‘Normally we would have now been out at school drop-off but thankfully it's the school holidays so we are home to avert what could have been a huge disaster. Our house would be on fire!’

Belinda shared the scary incident to caution others to stay alert around chargers, phones and electronics.

The mum didn't use an official Apple charger for her iPhone, and the specific brand she used remained unknown.

Apple's iPhone user guide advises charging the devices only with cables and power adaptors from Apple, labelled ‘Made for iPhone’, or third-party ones compliant with USB 2.0 or later that meet safety standards.

‘Other adaptors may not meet applicable safety standards, and charging with such adaptors could pose a risk of death or injury,’ as per the guide.

It also warns against charging in damp environments, in poorly ventilated areas, or while in contact with metal objects like keys, coins, batteries, or jewellery.

While many were startled by Belinda's close call, others said similar things had happened to them.

Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 4.30.41 PM.png

Safety concerns about lithium-ion batteries have intensified after over 450 fires were reported in Australia within an 18-month period. These batteries, which are widely used in mobile devices like phones and laptops, are under scrutiny. Image source: Social media – Facebook (@MumCentral)

That's scary, glad you guys were home and averted disaster,’ one woman said.

Another recounted a frightening experience with a cheap charger she bought online for her Apple watch.

‘I was charging my watch and went to check on it and it was stuck to the bench as it had melted. Lucky I don't charge things overnight,’ she said.

One person suggested using wireless charging devices, while another advised against leaving gadgets to charge on metal surfaces.

‘Never leave chargers switched on when not connected to whatever,’ another user advised.

‘They are notorious for the wires breaking in that spot, which means that electricity has to jump the break. This creates an arc or spark and then you have a fire.’

Key Takeaways

• A mum found her iPhone charger on fire after it had sparked and started a small fire on her rug.
  • The iPhone charger, which she confessed was not bought from Apple, had been left plugged in and unused that morning.
  • The incident prompted the woman, named Belinda, to share her experience as a cautionary tale about the dangers of electronics and chargers.
  • Apple’s iPhone user guide states the devices should only be charged with compliant cables from Apple or third parties, warning that others may pose a risk.
Members, what do you think about this incident? Have any of you bought ‘knock-off’ gadgets or electronics online that proved dodgy? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Last edited:
Reactions: Littleboy8
Sponsored
Should one of government agencies inspect and clear imported electrical devices only if they compliant with Australian standards? The major reason why we are buying cheap hazardous devices is that Apple hardware has a very high markup?

Government to blame again.
Just don't leave switched on (HOT) electricals near flammable materials.

This applies to all charging of batteries including cars. Google Fremantle Highway, a car carrier ship where extensive damage from car fires occurred.

We know that technology is a double-edged sword. It can be very convenient and time-saving, but all of it comes at a cost—financially speaking.

Take smartphones, for example. Buying the latest model is already pricey, and then there's the extra cost of a charger.

This is why some opt for a more wallet-friendly alternative to the original Apple charger, opting for a cheaper ‘no name’ brand. However, doing so risks the chance of getting a faulty ‘knock-off’.

That is what one mum found out recently when her charger nearly started a house fire.

Belinda’s non-Apple iPhone charger was plugged into the wall but unused in her bedroom when she started to smell smoke.

The cause? Turns out that not long after she had unplugged her phone, the cable caught fire on her rug.

Luckily, she was home during the incident and was able to quickly put out the flames before they could spread.

View attachment 31603
In 2023, 52.9% of Australians use Android, while 47.1% use iOS. Image source: Pixabay

Belinda shared her alarming experience on Mum Central (an Australian-based parenting community), to warn others about the potential dangers.

‘Laying in bed this morning and could smell what I thought was electrical burning smell. thought it may have been wires in the ceiling and the smell coming through the air-con vents,’ she wrote in a post to Mum Central.

‘I got up [and] was just about to go up into the roof to see if the smell was up there and my son walked into our bedroom and asked why there was smoke!’

Rushing back to her bedroom, Belinda saw smoke from her rug, where her iPhone cable was placed.

When Belinda lifted it off the rug, she said it was ‘glowing bright orange’ and on fire, with the end partially melted.

View attachment 31600

Belinda had a scary moment when her iPhone charger caused a little fire in her room, burning a spot on her carpet. Image source: Social media – Facebook (@MumCentral)

‘I used it to charge my phone last night and noticed it was a bit hot when I unplugged it half [an] hour before but didn't think too much of it,’ she recalled.

‘Normally we would have now been out at school drop-off but thankfully it's the school holidays so we are home to avert what could have been a huge disaster. Our house would be on fire!’

Belinda shared the scary incident to caution others to stay alert around chargers, phones and electronics.

The mum didn't use an official Apple charger for her iPhone, and the specific brand she used remained unknown.

Apple's iPhone user guide advises charging the devices only with cables and power adaptors from Apple, labelled ‘Made for iPhone’, or third-party ones compliant with USB 2.0 or later that meet safety standards.

‘Other adaptors may not meet applicable safety standards, and charging with such adaptors could pose a risk of death or injury,’ as per the guide.

It also warns against charging in damp environments, in poorly ventilated areas, or while in contact with metal objects like keys, coins, batteries, or jewellery.

While many were startled by Belinda's close call, others said similar things had happened to them.

View attachment 31607

Safety concerns about lithium-ion batteries have intensified after over 450 fires were reported in Australia within an 18-month period. These batteries, which are widely used in mobile devices like phones and laptops, are under scrutiny. Image source: Social media – Facebook (@MumCentral)

‘That's scary, glad you guys were home and averted disaster,’ one woman said.

Another recounted a frightening experience with a cheap charger she bought online for her Apple watch.

‘I was charging my watch and went to check on it and it was stuck to the bench as it had melted. Lucky I don't charge things overnight,’ she said.

One person suggested using wireless charging devices, while another advised against leaving gadgets to charge on metal surfaces.

‘Never leave chargers switched on when not connected to whatever,’ another user advised.

‘They are notorious for the wires breaking in that spot, which means that electricity has to jump the break. This creates an arc or spark and then you have a fire.’

Key Takeaways

Key Takeaways

• A mum found her iPhone charger on fire after it had sparked and started a small fire on her rug.
    • The iPhone charger, which she confessed was not bought from Apple, had been left plugged in and unused that morning.
    • The incident prompted the woman, named Belinda, to share her experience as a cautionary tale about the dangers of electronics and chargers.
    • Apple’s iPhone user guide states the devices should only be charged with compliant cables from Apple or third parties, warning that others may pose a risk.

Members, what do you think about this incident? Have any of you bought ‘knock-off’ gadgets or electronics online that proved dodgy? Share your experiences in the comments below!
It wasn't the chargers fault - the person using the charger cord had twisted it enough for the wires to be bare and they caught fire - Never ever use a cord that looks like its frayed , as eventually the covering on the cables will be frayed , allowing the bare wires to make contact = DEAD SHORT CIRCUIT- and that is why that cord caught fire - nothing to do with the Phone charger at all. You can buy charger cables that cannot fray as they are reinforced at both ends - You also obtain ones that the ends are actually at 90 degrees which will help stop any fraying at all. 68autobug Bugbuyer

I always sit my devices on a metal tray when they are charging and don’t allow the cables to touch any sort of soft furnishings or easily flammable materials. The cables as soon as the items are charged.

Can I ask a question of someone with more knowledge than myself?
If your charger was faulty, could the metal tray under the device become live.

I always sit my devices on a metal tray when they are charging and don’t allow the cables to touch any sort of soft furnishings or easily flammable materials. The cables as soon as the items are charged.
Can I ask a question of someone with more knowledge than myself?
If your charger was faulty, could the metal tray under the device become live.