Pet policy gone wrong? One shopper calls out Bunnings for this major problem!

A quick trip to Bunnings, the popular Australian hardware store, is a common activity for many Aussies.

Some shoppers would love to bring their furry friends to accompany them during their shopping spree.

However, a recent incident involving a large dog has sparked a heated debate about the store's pet policy.

A concerned father, who was shopping with his son at a Bunnings warehouse in Darwin's Coconut Grove, shared his distressing experience on social media.

He claimed that while browsing wood stains, a ‘big breed dog’ accompanying its owner snapped at his son. The aisle was so narrow that they had ‘no room to move’, and the dog's owner seemed indifferent to the incident.

compressed-Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 12.19.07 PM.jpeg
A shopper called out Bunnings for its pet policy. Credit: Bunnings Warehouse

The father's post slammed ‘entitled dog owners’, saying, 'What's with people casually walking around Bunnings with big dogs now?’

‘A big dog just snapped at my kid, and the owner didn't care—the sheer entitlement of dog owners.'

‘I was like, “Woah, what the h***”, and they just walked away like nothing happened...I had to yank my son backwards because the dog lunged towards him when he snapped.’

This incident has led to a broader discussion about Bunnings' pet policy, which has existed since 2015.

However, the father argued that animals can be unpredictable, making them a major liability and a 'recipe for disaster' for Bunnings.

Bunnings' Managing Director, Mike Schneider, responded to the incident.

‘Customers have been bringing their dogs into our stores for many years, and we often hear how much they enjoy the company of their pet while shopping with us,’ he said.

He added that dogs are allowed into the store if they are friendly, on a lead, and comply with the conditions of entry. The store relies on a common-sense approach from customers.

‘If customers ever have concerns about an experience they have [at] our store, we encourage them to ask one of our team members for assistance,' Schneider added.

However, this incident and others like it have led many to question whether Bunnings' pet policy is appropriate.

'Dogs do not belong at Bunnings or any other store except the pet store...drives me wild, especially the ones who have to sit in the trolley,' one person commented.

'I find the dog entitlement in Darwin out of control. People don't train their dogs, and they run wild all over the place. I mostly avoid Bunnings on the weekend. Over it,' another wrote.

A third said, 'I don't understand why Bunnings changed their rules to allow dogs on leash without a muzzle. Makes no sense.'

It is understood that Bunnings’ pet policy allows pets into its stores as long as they are carried, secured on a lead, or in a shopping trolley.

photo (1).jpg
Customers have been bringing their dogs to Bunnings to accompany them. Credit: @dogsatbunnings / Instagram

Another has proposed the introduction of a 'dog-free time slot' for customers who are afraid of dogs, have allergies, or do not want to shop alongside them.

The debate over Bunnings' pet policy isn't new.

Last year, a Bunnings worker pleaded with customers to stop bringing their dogs to the store, citing they ‘don’t get paid enough to clean up’ pee and poo.

‘Dear everyone who brings their dogs to Bunnings,’ they said on social media.

‘Please, stop. I don't get paid enough to clean up your dog's p*ss and sh*t.’

'If you can't train your dog to not pee indoors or simply don't care enough to carry poop bags, for the love of God, just don't bring your dogs to a literal shop.’

'I promise you, your pooch will be just fine at home. Go on a bush walk with them if they need the enrichment that bad. Sincerely, underpaid Bunnings worker.'

The worker's plea generated hundreds of comments, with many agreeing that pet owners should be more responsible.

'The amount of people that don't clean up after their dog in public is a joke. If they can't even be bothered to clean up dogs mess they shouldn't have a pet,' one said.

Another commented, 'When we do take our dogs with us to Bunnings, I always put them in a trolley with cardboard to sit on.

'I would never trust or even want them to walk around just on a lead. I'd be horrified if they peed or pooed in the store, and I would want to clean everything up if they somehow did.’

'I don't understand people who bring their dogs in knowing their dogs may p*ss or poo in store and not clean it up.’

Speaking of dogs, Bunnings was also recently under fire for finding something disconcerting in the pet aisle.

According to a Bunnings shopper, she said that this item was being sold dangerously close to pet products. Read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian Bunnings shopper criticised 'entitled' dog owners after a dog snapped at his child in one of the aisles of the hardware store.
  • The concerned father questioned Bunnings' policy of allowing dogs in its stores, suggesting they could be unpredictable and a potential liability.
  • Bunnings' Managing Director Mike Schneider stated that dogs are allowed on the premises if they are friendly, on a lead, and comply with the store's conditions of entry.
  • Many Australians agreed with the dad's sentiments, suggesting that dogs should not be allowed in the store or that 'dog-free timeslots' should be implemented.
What do you think, members? Should Bunnings revise its pet policy, or is it up to pet owners to ensure their animals behave appropriately in the store? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
A quick trip to Bunnings, the popular Australian hardware store, is a common activity for many Aussies.

Some shoppers would love to bring their furry friends to accompany them during their shopping spree.

However, a recent incident involving a large dog has sparked a heated debate about the store's pet policy.

A concerned father, who was shopping with his son at a Bunnings warehouse in Darwin's Coconut Grove, shared his distressing experience on social media.

He claimed that while browsing wood stains, a ‘big breed dog’ accompanying its owner snapped at his son. The aisle was so narrow that they had ‘no room to move’, and the dog's owner seemed indifferent to the incident.

View attachment 36839

The father's post slammed ‘entitled dog owners’, saying, 'What's with people casually walking around Bunnings with big dogs now?’

‘A big dog just snapped at my kid, and the owner didn't care—the sheer entitlement of dog owners.'

‘I was like, “Woah, what the h***”, and they just walked away like nothing happened...I had to yank my son backwards because the dog lunged towards him when he snapped.’

This incident has led to a broader discussion about Bunnings' pet policy, which has existed since 2015.

However, the father argued that animals can be unpredictable, making them a major liability and a 'recipe for disaster' for Bunnings.

‘Customers have been bringing their dogs into our stores for many years, and we often hear how much they enjoy the company of their pet while shopping with us,’ he said.

He added that dogs are allowed into the store if they are friendly, on a lead, and comply with the conditions of entry. The store relies on a common-sense approach from customers.

‘If customers ever have concerns about an experience they have [at] our store, we encourage them to ask one of our team members for assistance,' Schneider added.

However, this incident and others like it have led many to question whether Bunnings' pet policy is appropriate.

'Dogs do not belong at Bunnings or any other store except the pet store...drives me wild, especially the ones who have to sit in the trolley,' one person commented.

'I find the dog entitlement in Darwin out of control. People don't train their dogs, and they run wild all over the place. I mostly avoid Bunnings on the weekend. Over it,' another wrote.

A third said, 'I don't understand why Bunnings changed their rules to allow dogs on leash without a muzzle. Makes no sense.'

It is understood that Bunnings’ pet policy allows pets into its stores as long as they are carried, secured on a lead, or in a shopping trolley.

View attachment 36840
Customers have been bringing their dogs to Bunnings to accompany them. Credit: @dogsatbunnings / Instagram

Another has proposed the introduction of a 'dog-free time slot' for customers who are afraid of dogs, have allergies, or do not want to shop alongside them.

Last year, a Bunnings worker pleaded with customers to stop bringing their dogs to the store, citing they ‘don’t get paid enough to clean up’ pee and poo.

'If you can't train your dog to not pee indoors or simply don't care enough to carry poop bags, for the love of God, just don't bring your dogs to a literal shop.’

'I promise you, your pooch will be just fine at home. Go on a bush walk with them if they need the enrichment that bad. Sincerely, underpaid Bunnings worker.'

The worker's plea generated hundreds of comments, with many agreeing that pet owners should be more responsible.

'The amount of people that don't clean up after their dog in public is a joke. If they can't even be bothered to clean up dogs mess they shouldn't have a pet,' one said.

Another commented, 'When we do take our dogs with us to Bunnings, I always put them in a trolley with cardboard to sit on.

'I would never trust or even want them to walk around just on a lead. I'd be horrified if they peed or pooed in the store, and I would want to clean everything up if they somehow did.’

'I don't understand people who bring their dogs in knowing their dogs may p*ss or poo in store and not clean it up.’

Speaking of dogs, Bunnings was also recently under fire for finding something disconcerting in the pet aisle.

According to a Bunnings shopper, she said that this item was being sold dangerously close to pet products. Read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian Bunnings shopper criticised 'entitled' dog owners after a dog snapped at his child in one of the aisles of the hardware store.
  • The concerned father questioned Bunnings' policy of allowing dogs in its stores, suggesting they could be unpredictable and a potential liability.
  • Bunnings' Managing Director Mike Schneider stated that dogs are allowed on the premises if they are friendly, on a lead, and comply with the store's conditions of entry.
  • Many Australians agreed with the dad's sentiments, suggesting that dogs should not be allowed in the store or that 'dog-free timeslots' should be implemented.
What do you think, members? Should Bunnings revise its pet policy, or is it up to pet owners to ensure their animals behave appropriately in the store? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
its not just about their behaviour its about hygiene as well

I love my dog, he’s my baby lol but if I’m shopping I leave him home. I don’t expect everyone to love him like I do. We took him to a dog friendly cafe for a puppychino and to get to the outside dog friendly area we had to walk him through the cafe, he’s a lab so not a small dog. I felt so bad for the people enjoying their meals suddenly being invaded by this adorable over friendly pooch lol. Talking Bunnings though, I have made a quick exit because someone was walking round with a parrot on their shoulder (not long John silver either). I have a severe bird phobia so I was outta there.

No dogs or animals should be allowed into ANY store unless it is an assistance dog Full Stop. I don't see any reason at all to take any dog with you while shopping. I also believe ALL dogs should be sent to a training facility before being sold or once the new owner takes the dog home. "Stipulated in the sale of the dog".
Training the dog allows both the owner and the dog to become pals knowing all the different traits each has.
After training the dog will know what its owner wants with the different commands given either by voice or hand.

Why bring dogs to shops of any type including Bunnings? Even the owner would not know exactly where the dog has been or which poo it sniffed? Keeping dogs in trolleys is also very, very unhealthy too, even if sitting on a cupboard etc.
Do you condone the taking of two legged pets, namely toddlers, into a store, plonk them in a trolley whilst wearing a pissy shitty nappy? But....but....but....they're humans. Such hypocrisy!

View attachment 36839

View attachment 36840

Key Takeaways

Funny, nobody has ever complained about my Panthera Leo which I often take with me. True it has often eaten the odd sausage dog or even a stray child.

Still I do feel it is unreasonable for people to take dogs into any shops, I have allergies & they affect me in a very serious manner. I accept guide dogs, that is a reasonable necessity for too many people.
keep the dogs at home, they do not belong in any store.

Funny, nobody has ever complained about my Panthera Leo which I often take with me. True it has often eaten the odd sausage dog or even a stray child.

Still I do feel it is unreasonable for people to take dogs into any shops, I have allergies & they affect me in a very serious manner. I accept guide dogs, that is a reasonable necessity for too many people.
What is a Panthera Leo? I assUme it’s a breed of dog but would be interested to hear about it. I’m actually not a dog person even though I have a “fur nephew“ much to my horror. He is a very cute dog.

View attachment 36839

View attachment 36840

Key Takeaways

No dogs or animals should be allowed into ANY store unless it is an assistance dog Full Stop. I don't see any reason at all to take any dog with you while shopping. I also believe ALL dogs should be sent to a training facility before being sold or once the new owner takes the dog home. "Stipulated in the sale of the dog".
Training the dog allows both the owner and the dog to become pals knowing all the different traits each has.
After training the dog will know what its owner wants with the different commands given either by voice or hand.
100% agree.

No dogs in shops of any kind. End of argument. It's bad enough having to put up with the barking of the dogs owned by the three families of mutts next door. And no. the local Council can't be bothered to deal with them, despite local bye-laws.

trauma!- having been attacked 3x by the same dog, before owner got him off me, leaving me with injuries, and bitten by a toy dog drawing blood on 3 occasions- makes me nervous, yet I have owned and shown dogs. I don't want to have to face dogs when I am shopping as well. There are people who fear them and for small children and others they can be intimidating. And then there's allergies.I don't see why they need to go into shops, why don't all animals hav the right to go in then.

trauma!- having been attacked 3x by the same dog, before owner got him off me, leaving me with injuries, and bitten by a toy dog drawing blood on 3 occasions- makes me nervous, yet I have owned and shown dogs. I don't want to have to face dogs when I am shopping as well. There are people who fear them and for small children and others they can be intimidating. And then there's allergies.I don't see why they need to go into shops, why don't all animals hav the right to go in then.
Seems dogs do not like you.

Apart from Service dogs and assistance dogs who are trained, I am afraid I don't like them in Bunnings or any other store. I think there is a time or place for them. At home.

I'd prefer a Panthera pardus. Smaller and a bit easier to handle. In other words, a leopard.