Pet policy gone wrong? One shopper calls out Bunnings for this major problem!

A quick trip to Bunnings, the popular Australian hardware store, is a common activity for many Aussies.

Some shoppers would love to bring their furry friends to accompany them during their shopping spree.

However, a recent incident involving a large dog has sparked a heated debate about the store's pet policy.

A concerned father, who was shopping with his son at a Bunnings warehouse in Darwin's Coconut Grove, shared his distressing experience on social media.

He claimed that while browsing wood stains, a ‘big breed dog’ accompanying its owner snapped at his son. The aisle was so narrow that they had ‘no room to move’, and the dog's owner seemed indifferent to the incident.

compressed-Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 12.19.07 PM.jpeg
A shopper called out Bunnings for its pet policy. Credit: Bunnings Warehouse

The father's post slammed ‘entitled dog owners’, saying, 'What's with people casually walking around Bunnings with big dogs now?’

‘A big dog just snapped at my kid, and the owner didn't care—the sheer entitlement of dog owners.'

‘I was like, “Woah, what the h***”, and they just walked away like nothing happened...I had to yank my son backwards because the dog lunged towards him when he snapped.’

This incident has led to a broader discussion about Bunnings' pet policy, which has existed since 2015.

However, the father argued that animals can be unpredictable, making them a major liability and a 'recipe for disaster' for Bunnings.

Bunnings' Managing Director, Mike Schneider, responded to the incident.

‘Customers have been bringing their dogs into our stores for many years, and we often hear how much they enjoy the company of their pet while shopping with us,’ he said.

He added that dogs are allowed into the store if they are friendly, on a lead, and comply with the conditions of entry. The store relies on a common-sense approach from customers.

‘If customers ever have concerns about an experience they have [at] our store, we encourage them to ask one of our team members for assistance,' Schneider added.

However, this incident and others like it have led many to question whether Bunnings' pet policy is appropriate.

'Dogs do not belong at Bunnings or any other store except the pet store...drives me wild, especially the ones who have to sit in the trolley,' one person commented.

'I find the dog entitlement in Darwin out of control. People don't train their dogs, and they run wild all over the place. I mostly avoid Bunnings on the weekend. Over it,' another wrote.

A third said, 'I don't understand why Bunnings changed their rules to allow dogs on leash without a muzzle. Makes no sense.'

It is understood that Bunnings’ pet policy allows pets into its stores as long as they are carried, secured on a lead, or in a shopping trolley.

photo (1).jpg
Customers have been bringing their dogs to Bunnings to accompany them. Credit: @dogsatbunnings / Instagram

Another has proposed the introduction of a 'dog-free time slot' for customers who are afraid of dogs, have allergies, or do not want to shop alongside them.

The debate over Bunnings' pet policy isn't new.

Last year, a Bunnings worker pleaded with customers to stop bringing their dogs to the store, citing they ‘don’t get paid enough to clean up’ pee and poo.

‘Dear everyone who brings their dogs to Bunnings,’ they said on social media.

‘Please, stop. I don't get paid enough to clean up your dog's p*ss and sh*t.’

'If you can't train your dog to not pee indoors or simply don't care enough to carry poop bags, for the love of God, just don't bring your dogs to a literal shop.’

'I promise you, your pooch will be just fine at home. Go on a bush walk with them if they need the enrichment that bad. Sincerely, underpaid Bunnings worker.'

The worker's plea generated hundreds of comments, with many agreeing that pet owners should be more responsible.

'The amount of people that don't clean up after their dog in public is a joke. If they can't even be bothered to clean up dogs mess they shouldn't have a pet,' one said.

Another commented, 'When we do take our dogs with us to Bunnings, I always put them in a trolley with cardboard to sit on.

'I would never trust or even want them to walk around just on a lead. I'd be horrified if they peed or pooed in the store, and I would want to clean everything up if they somehow did.’

'I don't understand people who bring their dogs in knowing their dogs may p*ss or poo in store and not clean it up.’

Speaking of dogs, Bunnings was also recently under fire for finding something disconcerting in the pet aisle.

According to a Bunnings shopper, she said that this item was being sold dangerously close to pet products. Read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian Bunnings shopper criticised 'entitled' dog owners after a dog snapped at his child in one of the aisles of the hardware store.
  • The concerned father questioned Bunnings' policy of allowing dogs in its stores, suggesting they could be unpredictable and a potential liability.
  • Bunnings' Managing Director Mike Schneider stated that dogs are allowed on the premises if they are friendly, on a lead, and comply with the store's conditions of entry.
  • Many Australians agreed with the dad's sentiments, suggesting that dogs should not be allowed in the store or that 'dog-free timeslots' should be implemented.
What do you think, members? Should Bunnings revise its pet policy, or is it up to pet owners to ensure their animals behave appropriately in the store? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
This debate has come up for A couple of years now I have dogs but I don’t understand why they feel the need to take their dogs shopping just leave them at home. The other day I got tangled up in a gentleman’s dog lead and he looked at me annoyingly like it was my fault.

A quick trip to Bunnings, the popular Australian hardware store, is a common activity for many Aussies.

Some shoppers would love to bring their furry friends to accompany them during their shopping spree.

However, a recent incident involving a large dog has sparked a heated debate about the store's pet policy.

A concerned father, who was shopping with his son at a Bunnings warehouse in Darwin's Coconut Grove, shared his distressing experience on social media.

He claimed that while browsing wood stains, a ‘big breed dog’ accompanying its owner snapped at his son. The aisle was so narrow that they had ‘no room to move’, and the dog's owner seemed indifferent to the incident.

View attachment 36839

The father's post slammed ‘entitled dog owners’, saying, 'What's with people casually walking around Bunnings with big dogs now?’

‘A big dog just snapped at my kid, and the owner didn't care—the sheer entitlement of dog owners.'

‘I was like, “Woah, what the h***”, and they just walked away like nothing happened...I had to yank my son backwards because the dog lunged towards him when he snapped.’

This incident has led to a broader discussion about Bunnings' pet policy, which has existed since 2015.

However, the father argued that animals can be unpredictable, making them a major liability and a 'recipe for disaster' for Bunnings.

‘Customers have been bringing their dogs into our stores for many years, and we often hear how much they enjoy the company of their pet while shopping with us,’ he said.

He added that dogs are allowed into the store if they are friendly, on a lead, and comply with the conditions of entry. The store relies on a common-sense approach from customers.

‘If customers ever have concerns about an experience they have [at] our store, we encourage them to ask one of our team members for assistance,' Schneider added.

However, this incident and others like it have led many to question whether Bunnings' pet policy is appropriate.

'Dogs do not belong at Bunnings or any other store except the pet store...drives me wild, especially the ones who have to sit in the trolley,' one person commented.

'I find the dog entitlement in Darwin out of control. People don't train their dogs, and they run wild all over the place. I mostly avoid Bunnings on the weekend. Over it,' another wrote.

A third said, 'I don't understand why Bunnings changed their rules to allow dogs on leash without a muzzle. Makes no sense.'

It is understood that Bunnings’ pet policy allows pets into its stores as long as they are carried, secured on a lead, or in a shopping trolley.

View attachment 36840
Customers have been bringing their dogs to Bunnings to accompany them. Credit: @dogsatbunnings / Instagram

Another has proposed the introduction of a 'dog-free time slot' for customers who are afraid of dogs, have allergies, or do not want to shop alongside them.

Last year, a Bunnings worker pleaded with customers to stop bringing their dogs to the store, citing they ‘don’t get paid enough to clean up’ pee and poo.

'If you can't train your dog to not pee indoors or simply don't care enough to carry poop bags, for the love of God, just don't bring your dogs to a literal shop.’

'I promise you, your pooch will be just fine at home. Go on a bush walk with them if they need the enrichment that bad. Sincerely, underpaid Bunnings worker.'

The worker's plea generated hundreds of comments, with many agreeing that pet owners should be more responsible.

'The amount of people that don't clean up after their dog in public is a joke. If they can't even be bothered to clean up dogs mess they shouldn't have a pet,' one said.

Another commented, 'When we do take our dogs with us to Bunnings, I always put them in a trolley with cardboard to sit on.

'I would never trust or even want them to walk around just on a lead. I'd be horrified if they peed or pooed in the store, and I would want to clean everything up if they somehow did.’

'I don't understand people who bring their dogs in knowing their dogs may p*ss or poo in store and not clean it up.’

Speaking of dogs, Bunnings was also recently under fire for finding something disconcerting in the pet aisle.

According to a Bunnings shopper, she said that this item was being sold dangerously close to pet products. Read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian Bunnings shopper criticised 'entitled' dog owners after a dog snapped at his child in one of the aisles of the hardware store.
  • The concerned father questioned Bunnings' policy of allowing dogs in its stores, suggesting they could be unpredictable and a potential liability.
  • Bunnings' Managing Director Mike Schneider stated that dogs are allowed on the premises if they are friendly, on a lead, and comply with the store's conditions of entry.
  • Many Australians agreed with the dad's sentiments, suggesting that dogs should not be allowed in the store or that 'dog-free timeslots' should be implemented.
What do you think, members? Should Bunnings revise its pet policy, or is it up to pet owners to ensure their animals behave appropriately in the store? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
I take my medium sized half poodle half Shih Tzu with me to Bunnings he is attached by short lead to the trolley and sits on his own mat that I leave in the car, he is friendly but I am constantly watching him because all dogs can be unpredictable and I would hate for him to scare someone, occasionally you find a dog will growl at someone for no reason, I was told as a child a dog can sense a not so nice person so if he ever growls I stand between him and the person approaching, it just takes a little little common sense and courtesy. I would never walk him around because Dogs like to leave msg's for other dogs and they don't know the right place or the wrong place to leave their stools so it's just a case of always being mindful, I do this even when he is being walked.

View attachment 36839

View attachment 36840

Key Takeaways

I take my SERVICE Dog with me everywhere... He is a small dog and specifically trained... and god help anyone who chastises me about it....

I understand the service dog being allowed everywhere but why on earth do people think that they are entitled to take the “family pet” everywhere.
Take your dog to the park or beach, where allowed, that would be much more enjoyable and safer for your dog.
I’ve seen a dog sitting in a Cole’s shopping trolley at Coomera Westfield which I find disgusting. If you must take your dog to the shops, put them in a pram/trolley that is designed for an animal, not a food trolley.

View attachment 36839

View attachment 36840

Key Takeaways

I think that it is completely not necessary to have your dog at Bunnings they can be unpredictable even the most pleasent natured animal can turn nasty weather
provoked or not. I believe it is also unhygienic no one cleans the trollies after the animals have been riding in them. The owners are also not always attentive to their animals as they are busy checking out what's on the shelves.

I understand the service dog being allowed everywhere but why on earth do people think that they are entitled to take the “family pet” everywhere.
Take your dog to the park or beach, where allowed, that would be much more enjoyable and safer for your dog.
I’ve seen a dog sitting in a Cole’s shopping trolley at Coomera Westfield which I find disgusting. If you must take your dog to the shops, put them in a pram/trolley that is designed for an animal, not a food trolley.
I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THE WORD '' ENTITLED " PERSONALLY I ALWAYS ASK THE SHOP OWNER IF I CAN BRING MY DOG IN WITH ME ESPECIALLY ON STINKING HOT DAYS.
BTW HAVE NEVER EVER BEEN REFUSED .

Reactions: Gsr and Bunyip57
I have beenn going to Bunnings for such a long time and I must admit I am becoming dismayed at the number of people who feel it essential to take their dog with them. Does the dog really want to go - who actually cares. Bunnings is not for dogs other than service or seeing eye dogs where they actually perform a service I have seen many smaller dogs sitting in trolleys growling and snapping at people as they pass, their owners blissfully ignoring the behaviour Surely this is causing the dog angst. Leave them at home

View attachment 36839

View attachment 36840

Key Takeaways

I'm a firm believer in that ANY DOG (no matter what size or breed) needs to wear a muzzle outside of their home area.

Why on earth must shopper's bring

View attachment 36839

View attachment 36840

Key Takeaways

t

Reactions: KaraJenna

View attachment 36839

View attachment 36840

Key Takeaways

Bunnings will only change their ridiculous policy when someone, unfortunately gets bitten or tripped up,and decides to sue the store. All animals no matter how well trained have a breaking point.

View attachment 36839

View attachment 36840

Key Takeaways

The only service dogs allowed in shops are guide dogs and that's the way it should stay, If you can't go shopping without a yapping dog do yourself a favour and have a couple of visits with a trick cyclist?.

Reactions: Gsr and Lizzie1149

View attachment 36839

View attachment 36840

Key Takeaways

Personal opinion. Pets should be left at home. I have no issue with taking a dog on a lead for a walk. BUT, many pet owners don't put leads on their dogs, nor muzzles so they are free to attack any other dog or human they want. I've seen dogs barking and going for each other at cafes. We don't take our dog out that often but when we do he has a bed to sit on and is told quite firmly to sit if he looks like he's going to wander off. He is used to having to have a bed to sit on in the house and looks for it if it isn't there, (been washed) We live in a semi rural area and there have been a lot of big dogs attacking small dogs lately. Should be stopped. Shops and dogs don't mix

The only shop my little 3.5kg dog goes is Petbarn which she loves.
Unfortunately, I can no longer let her walk along the short path into the store. The amount of urine all over the outside walls and building columns is disgusting, and I won't allow her to walk in or sniff it.

Just more "entitlement culture". Some dog owners think theirs is perfect. And it's not about the dog, it's about the owner. The dog itself would be happy sleeping under a tree at home.

Aside from service dogs there is absolutely no reason to take a dog to the shops. They can survive in their doghouse for an hour or two.

I totally agree. Leave your dog at home unless it’s a service dog. If it’s extremely hot then as long as the dog is taken care of I would say okay. I have seen some rather exhausted dogs attached to vehicles in Bunnings car parks in WA & have felt rather sorry for them. Unless you have a specific reason for having dogs with you, eg vet visits etc, then leave them home. Even my “fur nephew“ 🤣 doesn’t get to venture into stores.

I totally agree. Leave your dog at home unless it’s a service dog. If it’s extremely hot then as long as the dog is taken care of I would say okay. I have seen some rather exhausted dogs attached to vehicles in Bunnings car parks in WA & have felt rather sorry for them. Unless you have a specific reason for having dogs with you, eg vet visits etc, then leave them home. Even my “fur nephew“ 🤣 doesn’t get to venture into stores.
Anyone tethering an unattended dog to a vehicle should be dealt with by the full extent of the law.
Can't imagine how hot on the ground that could be. Dogs tied in the back of contractor's vehicles, while they drive in air-conditioning. yes, I can see, they really love their dogs. (not)

Reactions: Gsr and PattiB

View attachment 36839

View attachment 36840

Key Takeaways

i personally think bunni ging snd ALL

View attachment 36839

View attachment 36840

Key Takeaways

i personally think All stores should review this policy should only be for special need dogs i hate the thought that i am using a trolly that had a dog in it YUK

View attachment 36839

View attachment 36840

Key Takeaways

I have an assistance dog. And I won’t go into Bunnings if larger dogs are there. She was snapped at once. Put some cardboard in the trolly so that small and medium sized dogs can go in but just having them roaming around, as I saw ,peeing on the pet food bags is really wrong.