People poke fun at Gen Z after an iPhone feature leaves this woman baffled—‘We’re doomed’

In an age where technology continually surprises us with new features, it's the simpler things that sometimes capture the most attention—and hilarity.

A recently discovered iPhone feature that simplifies the arcane world of laundry care symbols had Gen Z in awe, while prompting a mix of amusement and existential despair among their elder observers.

Let's unpack why this innocuous feature has stirred an unexpected generational divide, with some parents and seniors lamenting the loss of basic life skills among the younger crowd.

The excitement was sparked by a video from Jennifer, a mum who stumbled upon the iPhone's ability to quickly decode those cryptic laundry symbols we often ignore or misinterpret.

She posted it on social media with the caption, ‘Point of view: You are 23 years old when you learn your camera roll can tell you how to properly wash your clothes.’

With a snap of her camera, Jennifer’s iPhone presented an option to search for information on 'laundry care', spiriting her away to learn the mysteries of these fabric hieroglyphics.

photo (3).jpg
Jennifer learnt about this iPhone feature that translates laundry symbols with just a snap of the camera. Credits: Tiktok / @jennyyyyjayyyy

Jennifer's video shows with what ease and speed the modern smartphone can eliminate small conundrums, turning a routine laundry day into a high-tech, informative session.

The subsequent spread revealed an undercurrent of surprise and gratitude among young adults, amazed at this convenient solution to an everyday task.

‘I'm mind blown... yesterday, I was trying to figure out what those symbols meant,’ one user commented.

‘The way I was LITERALLY looking up what the symbols meant yesterday,’ another said.

‘Go cry in Android,’ a third chimed.

However, there's a stark contrast in how some in the older generation view this reliance on technology. Their responses range from tongue-in-cheek to outright concern.

‘We're doomed,’ one jokingly wrote.

‘Gen Z [need their phones] for everything. Unable to survive without it,’ another commented.

‘After 15 years, I still know all the signs by heart,’ said a third.

‘The symbols are self-explanatory,’ one viewer added.

A fifth said, ‘Not me who had to learn these signs for care and well-being [lessons].’

After reading about this advice from Gen Z, how about we discover another laundry trick, this time, from the older ones?

Check out this ‘genius’ tip from an Aussie mum on how to organise the family’s laundry.
Key Takeaways

• Jennifer shared a video on social media demonstrating an iPhone feature that provides translations for laundry symbols.
  • The feature, which had been incorporated in a recent Apple update, generated excitement among Gen Z while drawing humorous criticism from older generations.
  • The video became popular, and showed how to access laundry care information quickly from a photo in the phone's camera roll.
  • While the younger generation appreciated the convenience, some older users expressed concerns about Gen Z's reliance on technology for basic knowledge.
What can you say about Jennifer’s discovery? Do you still know these laundry symbols until now? Share them with us down in the comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: BJM
Sponsored
I'm 63 and still don't know what the bloody symbols mean on laundry. I just throw everything in and hope for the best. Don't use this to come down on the youngsters.
You’re right but it does make laugh. I figured mine out by reading my washing machine book, it had all sorts of stuff in it. My son uses his phone to solve almost everything. I tease him about ittoo sometimes.

Reactions: DLHM
I'm 63 and still don't know what the bloody symbols mean on laundry. I just throw everything in and hope for the best. Don't use this to come down on the youngsters.
My front loader covers a Heinz variety of washes. I have a favourite cycle, a 15 minute quick wash, and, if in doubt I use Mixed Load. Cold with fast spin. Has never let me down.
The fabrics of today are pretty much wash and wear so I don't think LorelleD will suffer the anxiety of a woollen jumper coming out of the wash the size of a sock.
Those who believe in total natural fibre may have a few problems if they don't read the washing directions.
I'm with Lorelle. I pretty much let Electrolux nature take it's course.

Reactions: DLHM and PattiB
My front loader covers a Heinz variety of washes. I have a favourite cycle, a 15 minute quick wash, and, if in doubt I use Mixed Load. Cold with fast spin. Has never let me down.
The fabrics of today are pretty much wash and wear so I don't think LorelleD will suffer the anxiety of a woollen jumper coming out of the wash the size of a sock.
Those who believe in total natural fibre may have a few problems if they don't read the washing directions.
I'm with Lorelle. I pretty much let Electrolux nature take it's course.
I do the same with my Bosch. Love the 15 minute cycle. My only gripe is the timer is never right, a 45 min wash can take a lot longer sometimes, something to do with detergent residue sensing. Apart from that it’s an amazing washer.

Reactions: MariaG and DLHM
I do the same with my Bosch. Love the 15 minute cycle. My only gripe is the timer is never right, a 45 min wash can take a lot longer sometimes, something to do with detergent residue sensing. Apart from that it’s an amazing washer.
You might like the new detergent sheets. I use Activated Eco sheets. They are based on coconut oil, low suds,very kind to the environment, work with hot or cold, and, do a good job of laundering. I don't have a suds sensor, but having a front loader means less soap therefore, less suds.
I learned a long time ago that suds don't clean. The less suds, the better it will clean.

Reactions: PattiB