Pensioner hit with $6,000 bill due to botched NBN installation

Please note: The NBN reached out to the SDC to clarify that one of their technicians were sent out to rectify the below issue last Friday, 23 February 2024, free of charge. They would like to express the following, 'While we pride ourselves on a seamless experience for customers choosing a full fibre upgrade, the communication and service did not meet our normal high standard, and we commit to continuous training and development for our teams. We apologise to the customer and their family for the inconvenience.'

The National Broadband Network (NBN) is designed to bring fast, reliable internet to all Australians.

However, for one Melbourne pensioner, an upgrade of her NBN almost turned into a costly nightmare.

Joan Little, a resident of Narre Warren South, was left disconnected and facing a hefty bill after a failed installation.

The NBN fibre box was installed in an impractical location of Ms Little's home, far from any power points or relevant cabling.

This left her unable to use her internet or landline, forcing her to rely on her mobile phone, which had unreliable reception at best.

shutterstock_1179787024.jpg
Joan Little was left disconnected after a failed NBN installation. Image source: Shutterstock

'He was done in no time, and I asked him, “Where does the modem go?''’ Ms Little asked.

'All I want to do is use the phone and use the emails. It's not good enough.'

Her son, Andrew Little, lodged a complaint to NBN, but the customer service representative said that there’s nothing they could do since his mother ‘signed off’ on the contractor’s work.

‘My mother's in her 80s, she wouldn't know NBN fibre from anything,’ he said.

‘The NBN contractor has taken the lazy way out and basically put the fibre technology box straight behind where it comes in from the street,’ he added.

The customer service representative advised: ‘If you want the NBN box relocated, you will need to organise for a private cabler to do this at your own expense.’

The estimated cost of this service was a staggering $6,000.

The Littles' ordeal highlighted a significant issue with the NBN upgrade. The installation process is complex and requires careful planning and execution.

However, NBN sub-contractors are paid per install, incentivising them to complete jobs quickly rather than thoroughly. This can lead to rushed installations and potential issues down the line.

After two weeks of disconnection, the company has since apologised and rectified the issue at no charge.

‘While we pride ourselves on a seamless experience for customers choosing a full fibre upgrade, the communication and service did not meet our normal high standard,’ an NBN spokesperson said.

‘We apologise to the customer and their family for the inconvenience,’ they added.

You can watch Ms Little’s interview here:

Source: 9 News Australia/Youtube​

NBN is a government initiative designed to provide all Australians with access to fast and reliable internet services. The rollout involves replacing the existing copper network with fibre optic cables, which can deliver much faster internet speeds.

It's important to understand the NBN installation process and your rights as a consumer to avoid issues like with Ms Little.

Here are some key points to remember:
  • You have the right to choose where your NBN equipment is installed. Make sure to discuss this with your installer before they start the job.
  • If you're not happy with the installation, don't sign off on the job. Once you've signed off, it can be difficult to get issues rectified without incurring additional costs.
  • If you're experiencing issues with your NBN service, contact your service provider in the first instance. If they can't resolve the issue, you can escalate your complaint to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman.
While it's reassuring to see NBN Co taking responsibility for their mistakes, it's a reminder that the transition to NBN is not always smooth sailing.

As consumers, it's crucial to stay informed and vigilant to ensure a seamless transition to the new network.

Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne pensioner faced a disconnection and a potential $6,000 bill after a bungled NBN installation at her home.
  • The contractor installed the fibre box in an impractical location, causing the pensioner to be without internet or landline access for over two weeks.
  • Complaints were initially met with advisement that she'd need to pay for a private contractor to rectify the issue.
  • NBN has since apologised for the inconvenience and resolved the problem at no extra cost to the pensioner.

Have you had a similar experience with your NBN installation? Share your stories in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
A typical example of an older person being taken advantage of. Unfortunately, there are more and more tradies taking short cuts and doing the bare minimum. I have done 2 major renovations and a smaller one in the past 4 years - with me project managing the different trades for various parts of the renos. The majority are pretty good to deal with, however, there are too many that let you down.

I've had on a few occasions been told by technicians that the previous job was done bodgy this was for both foxtel and internet unless those technicians were not doing it right.

When you use a big company you put all your trust in them that they are doing it correctly and it's up to the companies to make sure they are .

Reactions: DLHM
My computer went down completely on Dec 23 Jan 3 i was advised by NBN that there was a line fault.They kept asking me to check all lines to Modem and remove power from Modem and wait two minutes and replace.
I replied but got nowhere even after the same notice from NBN for 65 days
On Monday February 26, after many calls to NBN, finally got to the right person and they sent a workman out on Tuesday February 27.
The workman fixed the problem in about 20 minutes and told me it was a broken line.
He has given me his direct number ito ring him if another fault occurs.
To try to get to the right person at NBN to fix problems is a nightmare. Doug

My computer went down completely on Dec 23 Jan 3 i was advised by NBN that there was a line fault.They kept asking me to check all lines to Modem and remove power from Modem and wait two minutes and replace.
I replied but got nowhere even after the same notice from NBN for 65 days
On Monday February 26, after many calls to NBN, finally got to the right person and they sent a workman out on Tuesday February 27.
The workman fixed the problem in about 20 minutes and told me it was a broken line.
He has given me his direct number ito ring him if another fault occurs.
To try to get to the right person at NBN to fix problems is a nightmare. Doug

We have the right to decide where the box goes? I was told it could not go in a bedroom, only a living area. This made my life difficult as my mentally ill son would disconnect it constantly. Choice? I don't think so!

Reactions: DJRayner and KatKop
I have nbn fibre to the node with existing copper wire to the house I have only had occasional problems and when I have my provider Aussie Broadband who have exceptional customer service and they are in Australia. They have established the fault was not in the house and organised nbn to to rectify so the only contact with nbn was the technician when he arrived to check we were back on line after he repaired a broken wire at the node. I don’t think it’s worth for most of us here at sdc to bother with replacing our copper wires with fibre unless you are a heavy user or gamers that require huge downloads as you will be paying way more for internet and won’t really notice any difference. We stream tv,radio,I pads and computer all with no problems.

The best solution is to tell them that you will contact the telecommunications ombudsman and watch them jump to attention if they get x amount of complaints the ombudsman will impose very hefty fines even take them to court on your behalf, all you have to do is mention that you will contact the ombudsman sit back and enjoy the action

We are lucky enough to have fibre to the house & our NBN installer was great. The men who came to install the fibre were lazy & said they would have to get another crew to dig trenches & the fibre wouldn’t go round a bend in the cable. Enter my husband who spent many years working for Telstra before switching to broadcasting section, & he produced a little map of where the gas line, & various other cables went & explained to them where the fibre needed to go & even put it around the bend for them. The job was done in no time. Having the little card with the relevant cabling licence also helped. They would’ve hoodwinked us. Plus our son handles any problems that might arise, we are so lucky.

Reactions: saundy and Hel
We have the right to decide where the box goes? I was told it could not go in a bedroom, only a living area. This made my life difficult as my mentally ill son would disconnect it constantly. Choice? I don't think so!
They installed my friends outside box directly under the garden tap while she was out. Took ages for someone to come back & move it.

• Wow
Reactions: marni
We are lucky enough to have fibre to the house & our NBN installer was great. The men who came to install the fibre were lazy & said they would have to get another crew to dig trenches & the fibre wouldn’t go round a bend in the cable. Enter my husband who spent many years working for Telstra before switching to broadcasting section, & he produced a little map of where the gas line, & various other cables went & explained to them where the fibre needed to go & even put it around the bend for them. The job was done in no time. Having the little card with the relevant cabling licence also helped. They would’ve hoodwinked us. Plus our son handles any problems that might arise, we are so lucky.
lol looks like any clown can get a job there

Reactions: maherdj and PattiB
Well NBN in our area failed the reliable initiative. Why is it the layman’s job to tell the professional where the installation should go? Paying for peoples expertise is what you do.

Reactions: Scaveola and PattiB
A typical example of an older person being taken advantage of. Unfortunately, there are more and more tradies taking short cuts and doing the bare minimum. I have done 2 major renovations and a smaller one in the past 4 years - with me project managing the different trades for various parts of the renos. The majority are pretty good to deal with, however, there are too many that let you down.
It took 3 different companies to get the NBN cable to our house. The final technician who got it to the inside of the house didn't bother doing the job properly, crimped the fibre-optic cable so badly that if failed some months later and didn't bother running the external part of the cable through protective piping so it got nibbled by a mouse.

Reactions: PattiB
Seems i am having trouble replying to you as i get ÖOPS SOMETHING WENT WRONG
welcome dear Doug. I wonder if you are from Bundaberg. We've had this crap for at least the last 12 months. Oops we have a problem., you are not connected, when you are. Stuff you've typed suddenly disappears or computer jams up. Oh yes, I know it well but it's even worse that IT people think I'm nuts and won't even try to fix it. We have worked out that Google and Microsoft have their sticky fingers in the pie. I'm not the only one who's put up with this crap.

That parallels our adventures with NBN's contractors.

It shouldn't require all this, but my son worked for an NBN contractor and he said the practices he saw were terrible.

Reactions: PattiB