Pensioner draws flak after offering one unusual living solution for $125: 'I'd rather be set up under the overpass'

In the face of Australia's relentless housing crisis, creativity and resourcefulness have become the new currency for those seeking shelter.

However, when does ingenuity cross the line into exploitation?

Many Aussies ask this question after a pensioner's unconventional rental offer sparked a heated debate.

A Tasmanian disability pensioner, Mark, offered a housing solution that some might find hard to believe: a camping tent in his backyard for $125 a week.

The rental, which he dubbed as an 'emergency accommodation for a single person' in an advert, turned heads and stirred controversy.

The four-person tent is located in Risdon Vale and does not come with any additional bills and food.

compressed-tent.jpeg
Mark's $125-a-week tent rental could be an emergency accommodation to anyone short of money. Image Credit: Pexels/Vlad Bagacian

Some Australians labelled Mark's offer as 'shameless'.

'I'd rather be set up under the overpass along the highway than pay some f****** $125 for the pleasure of their freezing backyard,' another lamented.

Another called the situation 'shameful', comparing it unfavourably to someone charging a pet sitter to care for their pet.

Mark, who also pays $450 a week in rent, is no stranger to opening his home to those in need.

With seven people currently living with him—including homeless individuals and ex-prisoners—Mark's history of generosity is well-documented.

'Many times, I have supported people totally who have no finances,' he shared.

'One bloke was here for two years and did not pay anything. I've been stolen from and physically abused by people with anger issues.'

Beyond the tent, Mark also has a refurbished tin shed and a caravan, which currently houses a woman who formerly lived outside Kmart.

'I'm trying to do my bit,' he shared.

'If people went to the showgrounds, they would be charged $40 or more a night.'

A friend of Mark, who posted the tent offer online, defended him against accusations of profiteering.

They stated that Mark 'knows people are struggling' and is 'not trying to make a buck' from anyone.

According to the Tenants' Union of Tasmania, renters around the area are paying $7,000 more annually than they did five years ago.

Rent prices within the area also rose ten times faster than income support payments.

This paints a picture seen across Australia.

CoreLogic data also suggested that the median rent prices hit a record high of $627 a week last April.

In other cities like Brisbane, keeping people off the streets has been an ongoing challenge for their local councils.

As we navigate these difficult times, let's continue to support one another and advocate for sustainable, humane solutions to the housing crisis.

Whether it's through community initiatives, policy changes, or personal acts of kindness, every effort counts towards building a future where everyone has a place to call home.
Key Takeaways

• A man in Tasmania offered a tent in his backyard as an 'emergency accommodation' for $125 a week.
  • After posting the advert on social media, some users criticised the offer as 'shameful'.
  • The man behind the tent advert, a disability pensioner named Mark, stated he was trying to help those in need and had opened up his home to homeless people.
  • The rental market across Australia saw significant increases, with the average renter paying substantially more than they did five years prior.
What are your thoughts on Mark's tent rental? Is it a creative solution to a growing problem, or does it cross a line? Share your stories and thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
There are probably many this would benefit. People who have been kicked out or had to leave their rentals due to costs, and looking for a safe place to camp temporarily. The cost is affordable and I personally would feel safer in someone's backyard than in the local park, street or bushland.

Mark gets this and is trying to help. I think he should be commended rather than ridiculed…..If we all opened our homes there would be no homeless, but that is not the answer either. Sending vulnerable, unwell whether physically or mentally to housing agencies to navigate a broken system is never going to work when there is nothing available anyway. Emergency accommodation could be set up until not needed and I believe this should happen.

Mark gets this and is trying to help. I think he should be commended rather than ridiculed…..If we all opened our homes there would be no homeless, but that is not the answer either. Sending vulnerable, unwell whether physically or mentally to housing agencies to navigate a broken system is never going to work when there is nothing available anyway. Emergency accommodation could be set up until not needed and I believe this should happen.
The system is broken and this person is trying to help.

It's about time these tax dodging "not for profit' churches and quasi religious organisations open up their grounds for such a service, charging a miniscule rent.

But no....we have to keep making that profit that doesn't exist! Charitable my arse!

Meanwhile, I would bet those whinging about Mark's activities live alone in ten bedroom "mansions" in Rose Bay or Toorak.

Last edited:
It's about time these tax dodging "not for profit' churches and quasi religious organisations open up their grounds for such a service, charging a miniscule rent.

But no....we have to keep making that profit the doesn't exist! Charitable my arse!

Meanwhile, I would bet those whinging about Mark's activities live alone in ten bedroom "mansions" in Rose Bay or Toorak.
Totally with you will the Churches etc
While the greedy positions ( past and current ) collect all the freebies, rent, and they only sit about 3 weeks actually going to “work”

I wonder if whoever rents the tent gets to use all the facilities in the house for free, showering, toilet, full use of kitchen for storing and cooking food, use of internet etc etc. If not this is just an excuse to profit from someone else’s misfortune.

I think this is so much better than having poor souls wander aimlessly and sleeping on park benches.
My assumption would be that the weekly amount has to include the use of toilet facilities, showering, and somewhere to cook meals. Surely common sense would prevail.

Reactions: Mr Chips
Anyone remember that clown who tried to charge $700 a week for a tent site in his backyard in Avalon Beach on Sydney's Northern Beaches? Use of the inground pool, ocean views and a short stroll to the beach. A bargain at a tenth of the price!

It appears that all Mark gets in return for any compassionate circumstances, is one hell of a kick in the guts.

A very risky enterprise to be involved with.

Reactions: MariaG