Pension age increase draws ire from unions and older Aussies: ‘Should not be a one size fits all’

The good old days when you could retire with a pension at age 65 are a thing of the past.

After the Federal Government changed the law and raised the age threshold at which Australians can access the pension, Aussies now have to wait two more years till the age of 67.

Given the circumstances, it's unsurprising that this news was met with intense backlash—union bosses and Australians nearing retirement age were both very vocal in their criticism of the new regulations.

Screen Shot 2023-07-19 at 9.53.39 AM.png
The topic of retirement age and eligibility for the age pension requires thoughtful consideration, taking into account the diverse needs of Australian workers and their retirement plans. Credit: Shutterstock.

For instance, the Construction Forestry Maritime Mining Energy Union (CFMEU) NSW secretary Darren Greenfield highlighted the effect the law change would have on hardworking labourers.

In his words, 'In construction, they do a lot of the heavy lifting of the structure, concreters, steel fixers, scaffolders, it is very labour intensive work. A lot of their bodies burn out by 50 to 55.'

'By the time they get to 60, it is a nightmare for them not to be able to retire.'

Daniel Walton, the National Secretary of the Australian Workers Union, was also worried about blue-collar workers who may have difficulty working until they retire because of physical limitations.

He wanted to draw attention to the fact that their work can be tough on their bodies, which makes it difficult for them to keep working as they get older.

This news affected more than just the typical tradesperson's retirement age—it obviously affected the whole country. So it's not shocking to see seniors from various backgrounds outraged over the issue.

The comments left on the news story are undoubtedly poignant. They brought forth some pertinent points about our outdated retirement policies and how things could be done better.

1689738429563.png

For example, it was argued that it simply isn't right for everyone to have to wait until they're 67, regardless of their personal circumstances and the type of work they do.

'The retirement age should not be a one size fits all; it should be a reflection of your work life,' commented one pensioner.

'Years of doing hard physical work and hard emotional work should be taken into account and used to reduce your retirement age. This is what they do in France, and they even take into consideration how many children you have brought up.'

Moreover, another brought up a controversial side to the issue—the glaring discrepancies between the retirement age of politicians and the average Aussie worker.

'The politicians don't care. They do two terms & they are on a lifelong pension, plus they are able to access their superannuation. They are hoping the average worker drops in their tracks so they don't have to pay out any pensions. We know what's going on. They just think we don't & they couldn't care less,' they said.

We have discussed the highly debated issue of the increased Age Pension here in the SDC forum, and many of our members have shared their perspectives on the matter.

Member Rhondda@Benjji commented: 'Why did we pay taxes all those years? It was for the pension. They keep raising the age every few years, and it's not fair to the people who reach the age only to have it change.'

Meanwhile, member @DanB said, 'I quite like the idea of giving the incentive of Pension Age people to stay longer in employment by way of tax concessions rather than increasing the pension age.'

Member @elaine41 shared a personal anecdote: 'As a retired psychiatric nurse, there is no way it is safe to ask people over 60 to work in that profession. We can no longer move fast enough to avoid injury when a patient is aggressive…'

Key Takeaways

• The Federal Government has raised the pension age to 67, triggering a backlash from unions and older Australians.
  • Union bosses like Darren Greenfield of CFMEU and Daniel Walton of the Australian Workers Union have voiced concerns about the potential repercussions of the change, especially for blue-collar workers.
  • Older Australians nearing retirement have expressed dissatisfaction.
  • Some aged Australians and union representatives are arguing for a more nuanced approach to determining retirement age, taking into consideration the physical and emotional demands of one's career.

It’s important that the government reforms the existing pension system so it takes into account the individual needs of seniors—particularly those who have worked hard and long in physically demanding or emotionally draining jobs.

In this case, we hope the government will listen to the voices of many older Aussies and introduce a new system built on fairness. Rest assured, we will keep you informed of any updates regarding this matter.

Members, do you have more to add to this conversation? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
The good old days when you could retire with a pension at age 65 are a thing of the past.
Also in those times people lived to 3 score and 10 ie. 70 years
In view of the increased longevity it seems quite reasonable to increase the retirement age also.
People can save more in early life if they want to retire early.

Also in those times people lived to 3 score and 10 ie. 70 years
In view of the increased longevity it seems quite reasonable to increase the retirement age also.
People can save more in early life if they want to retire early.
Sorry, but especially today that's just not realistic. How many 19yo's or 20-something's think about retirement & saving for it? That's precisely why compulsory Super was brought in. Then you have today's cost-of-living pressures & the sheer cost of renting or buying/building a property & meeting the mortgage payments, which only gets harder once babies come along. I saw a 3br un-furnished house advertised yesterday for $750.00 per week. I couldn't afford that now let alone on a starting wage.

I know that when my Wife & I had our children we were for 15 years on one income - most of that self-employed - & we struggled to put away a little extra for a once-a-year holiday, let alone saving for retirement.

Our oldest Son bought a small apartment off the plan during Covid & was only able to do that because he lived at home with us, was able to access First-Home-Buyer Grants & Stamp-Duty exemptions & we helped him out with some money towards the deposit. Consider that a 5% deposit on a $400k property is $20 000.00 & Stamp-Duty was another $20k.

The "Three-Score & Ten" thing isn't applicable any more either. Both of my Parents - children of the Great Depression years - passed on in their mid-80's. I have Cousins still kicking, older than that now who have worked all their adult lives, as have I.

I get that the Pension needs to be funded, but I thought that my 42 years & counting of paying taxes might have already done a little towards that?

Last edited:
I think pension or retirement age should be 65 , but left up to each individual if they want to keep working.
We have most of our adult life , shouldn't we be able to enjoy that last part of it.

My son is a builder and has been for 20 years , he is now 38 and burnt out, he has back problems but keeps working through. We have told him to find a job that's better on his body, he replied Now where will I find another job! He loves doing what he does , he works 10 hours a day except Saturdays it's 6 hours .
I am going to hate to see him in another 10 years .

After the Federal Government changed the law and raised the age threshold at which Australians can access the pension, Aussies now have to wait two more years till the age of 67.

Given the circumstances, it's unsurprising that this news was met with intense backlash—union bosses and Australians nearing retirement age were both very vocal in their criticism of the new regulations.

View attachment 25471
The topic of retirement age and eligibility for the age pension requires thoughtful consideration, taking into account the diverse needs of Australian workers and their retirement plans. Credit: Shutterstock.

For instance, the Construction Forestry Maritime Mining Energy Union (CFMEU) NSW secretary Darren Greenfield highlighted the effect the law change would have on hardworking labourers.

In his words, 'In construction, they do a lot of the heavy lifting of the structure, concreters, steel fixers, scaffolders, it is very labour intensive work. A lot of their bodies burn out by 50 to 55.'

'By the time they get to 60, it is a nightmare for them not to be able to retire.'

Daniel Walton, the National Secretary of the Australian Workers Union, was also worried about blue-collar workers who may have difficulty working until they retire because of physical limitations.

He wanted to draw attention to the fact that their work can be tough on their bodies, which makes it difficult for them to keep working as they get older.

This news affected more than just the typical tradesperson's retirement age—it obviously affected the whole country. So it's not shocking to see seniors from various backgrounds outraged over the issue.

The comments left on the news story are undoubtedly poignant. They brought forth some pertinent points about our outdated retirement policies and how things could be done better.

For example, it was argued that it simply isn't right for everyone to have to wait until they're 67, regardless of their personal circumstances and the type of work they do.

'The retirement age should not be a one size fits all; it should be a reflection of your work life,' commented one pensioner.

'Years of doing hard physical work and hard emotional work should be taken into account and used to reduce your retirement age. This is what they do in France, and they even take into consideration how many children you have brought up.'

Moreover, another brought up a controversial side to the issue—the glaring discrepancies between the retirement age of politicians and the average Aussie worker.

'The politicians don't care. They do two terms & they are on a lifelong pension, plus they are able to access their superannuation. They are hoping the average worker drops in their tracks so they don't have to pay out any pensions. We know what's going on. They just think we don't & they couldn't care less,' they said.

We have discussed the highly debated issue of the increased Age Pension here in the SDC forum, and many of our members have shared their perspectives on the matter.

Member Rhondda@Benjji commented: 'Why did we pay taxes all those years? It was for the pension. They keep raising the age every few years, and it's not fair to the people who reach the age only to have it change.'

Meanwhile, member @DanB said, 'I quite like the idea of giving the incentive of Pension Age people to stay longer in employment by way of tax concessions rather than increasing the pension age.'

Member @elaine41 shared a personal anecdote: 'As a retired psychiatric nurse, there is no way it is safe to ask people over 60 to work in that profession. We can no longer move fast enough to avoid injury when a patient is aggressive…'

Key Takeaways

• The Federal Government has raised the pension age to 67, triggering a backlash from unions and older Australians.
  • Union bosses like Darren Greenfield of CFMEU and Daniel Walton of the Australian Workers Union have voiced concerns about the potential repercussions of the change, especially for blue-collar workers.
  • Some aged Australians and union representatives are arguing for a more nuanced approach to determining retirement age, taking into consideration the physical and emotional demands of one's career.

It’s important that the government reforms the existing pension system so it takes into account the individual needs of seniors—particularly those who have worked hard and long in physically demanding or emotionally draining jobs.

In this case, we hope the government will listen to the voices of many older Aussies and introduce a new system built on fairness. Rest assured, we will keep you informed of any updates regarding this matter.

Members, do you have more to add to this conversation? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!
Why make older people work till 67, and soon to be 70 years old, when young people should be getting trained for trade work when they leave school !
Fact is, kids won't do manual work these days because all they want is to sit on a computer. It's not fair to expect older trades people to keep working when their bodies are getting worn out, because kids are not interested in learning this type of work.
Why doesn't the Government issue more of an incentive for young people to go into manual work, it's crazy because eventually there'll be no trades people at all.

View attachment 25471

Key Takeaways

It was because of the type of work I did as a young man that cause to have to retire at 60, in other words the body was worn out A list of complications, hips need replacement, shoulder joint full of arthritis, a heart attack and prostrate cancer, I often get asked why I retired you look in good condition sorry I help my family when I can it often takes me days to get over doing just 4 hours of work 😞.

View attachment 25471

Key Takeaways

I absolutely agree with the retired psych nurse, as an aged care nurse often assigned to the dementia ward. At 65 it is hard to move away nimbly from a flying fist, push or shove.

View attachment 25471

Key Takeaways

Let’s be fair - 65 y.o. for industry workers who could burn out and 70 y.o. for the others which leave 2 groups. The permanent unemployed by choice ( not medical affected), and the politicians.

I completely understand that the pension has to be funded, but increasing the age-accessibility actually punishes the Retiree in the process. Not everyone has a million $ in their Super, particularly Women who may have been out of the workforce for many years.

At 60yo I've been working virtually unbroken for 42 years & have taken "Social Security" for all of 6 weeks on finishing Year 12 High School. 2 years ago, I was made redundant from my job of 15 years & now work part-time/casual in the same field elsewhere. As such my income is insecure & "up & down".

Early this year I had to take 3 months off for 2 reconstructive surgeries (privately funded) caused by the sheer wear & tear of decades of physical work. Those 3 months we survived on my Wife's income while everyday bills & out-of-pocket medical expenses ($7000.00+) flattened our savings.

On taking redundancy we calculated that if needed we could have lived (frugally) on my Super for 7 years, with my Wife still working. At that point the "Retirement Age" was still 65. It's now 67.

We are very fortunate in that we own our house & have been able to help our 4 kids with some money towards their savings/house deposit. Yet even that goal for them is just getting harder & harder. Our oldest during Covid bought a small apartment off-the-plan. He was only able to do that by accessing First-Home-Owner Grants, Stamp-Duty exemptions & living here with us while he saved. Our younger 3 children are in the same boat. Consider that a 5% deposit on a $400k property is $20 000.00. The Stamp Duty is a similar amount. Add in expenses & you're looking at needing $50k minimum.

Renting is just as bad. I saw a 3br unfurnished house advertised yesterday for $750.00 per week. Our oldest was paying $250.00 per week for a ROOM in a share-house.

All "First-World" problems, I know - but this is the world that we live in. Those who make these big policy decisions apparently live in a different world.

I, like many women of my age, had an interrupted working life, as I spent time at home raising my children. In my early working life, compulsory superannuation didn't exist. I never imagined that I would be retraining for a new career in my 50s, and then at 65 trying to find work or endlessly trying to satisfy Centrelink's demands to receive Jobseeker until I hit 67 because I have so little superannuation.

View attachment 25471

Key Takeaways

Whether you're a tradie or otherwise, working later into your 60s is a challenge. You get mentally worn out as well as physically. I totally get and agree the physical would be very hard. We might be living longer, but it means we often get to spend longer in old age.

Reactions: Gsr and Jennylolo

View attachment 25471

Key Takeaways

It would seem to appear that the only heavy lifting a career politician would lifting the fork to his mouth. It should be mandatory for anyone entering politics would be to spend a few years on the shop floor.

Nothing stopping ANYONE including tradies from contributing more to their super if they want to retire early. Problem when cash is still king with tradies, take the money spend it then wonder why their super funds don't go up proportional to their declared income. The aged pension isn't an entitlement or right, you need to meet an eligibility to claim, even at the previous age of 65 you were still required to meet the eligibility. Once again, use your super, it's not a tax scheme it's a retirement fund that you should be using first, then the age pension kicks in once your meet the eligibility age.

I'm 65 now and when I was a young Mum, retirement was 60 for women. Now I am waiting until 67. I was a nurse in my younger years and a bookkeeper in later life. Now I am totally disabled and awaiting my 6th surgery on my neck. There is no way I could work in any position as the strain on my spine can put me in bed for days.
There should be a universal pension, all income from it and employment should be taxed. Try to work out how much you are left after employment income is a joke.

Last edited:
I think pension or retirement age should be 65 , but left up to each individual if they want to keep working.
We have most of our adult life , shouldn't we be able to enjoy that last part of it.

My son is a builder and has been for 20 years , he is now 38 and burnt out, he has back problems but keeps working through. We have told him to find a job that's better on his body, he replied Now where will I find another job! He loves doing what he does , he works 10 hours a day except Saturdays it's 6 hours .
I am going to hate to see him in another 10 years .
Exactly. I've been in Transport 39 years & counting but had to have 2 bouts of reconstructive surgery early this year - & 3 months off - purely to fix "wear & tear" problems. I saw an ex-workmate yesterday. He's 70 but looks 80 & really struggling with stairs.

Whether you're a tradie or otherwise, working later into your 60s is a challenge. You get mentally worn out as well as physically. I totally get and agree the physical would be very hard. We might be living longer, but it means we often get to spend longer in old age.
You might be worn out physically at 60, but mentally ??? I don't think so. I know of several people in their 70's who have very sharp minds and still working. I am still working part time and love the mental challenge. Attitude is very important no matter what age you are. If people just would stop whinging and moaning about everything , they may just enjoy life a little more.

Most of the people my age started work at 15 or 16 years old and have now worked for around 50years+ ,if you worked outdoors in a manual labor job there’s a good chance you have health issues around knee and back issues etc, it’s fine for politicians who have never had a real job in their lives to sit back and tell us we have to work longer when they don’t,we can only access what little super we have at a certain age but pollies can get access to theirs. I have no problem with anyone who wants to keep working after retirement age but not everyone can. There needs to be a more realistic way.