Peaky Blinders star Benjamin Zephaniah passes away at 65

The world of literature and entertainment mourns the loss of a true pioneer, Benjamin Zephaniah, who passed away at the age of 65 after a short but fierce battle with a brain tumour.

Known for his profound contributions to poetry, literature, music, television, and activism, Zephaniah's life was a testament to resilience and the power of words.

Born on April 15, 1958, in Birmingham, Zephaniah was the son of a Barbadian postman and a Jamaican nurse.

Despite being diagnosed with dyslexia at an early age and leaving school at 13 without the ability to read or write, Zephaniah's spirit remained unbroken.

GAwJ7OnXcAA41d-.jpeg
Benjamin Zephaniah died at age 65 from brain tumour. Credit: @jeremycorbyn / X (formerly Twitter)

His early life was marked by brushes with the law and time spent in a Borstal and prison. He recalled in a previous interview how a gang made him feel like ‘Robin Hood’ in ‘redistributing wealth’ and how they were ‘frequently in trouble’ with the cops.

Zephaniah's journey from a dyslexic school dropout to a celebrated poet and actor is a story of triumph over adversity. His first book, Pen Rhythm, published in his 20s, marked the beginning of a prolific career over four decades.

His work, often characterised by its focus on racial injustice and the aftermath of the British Empire, resonated with audiences worldwide.

His unique blend of dub poetry, a Jamaican style of work, and his unapologetic exploration of 'Black Britain' earned him the title of Britain's 'people's laureate' and made him Nelson Mandela's favourite poet.

Zephaniah launched his first collection to revive poetry's standing in academia, promising to bring it to every corner. In his 2001 work, Too Black Too Strong, he passionately depicted the challenges faced by 'Black Britain.'

The following year, he published We Are Britain!—a set of poems celebrating the country's rich cultural diversity.

As a children's poet, Zephaniah penned works such as Talking Turkeys, We Sang Across The Sea: The Empire Windrush And Me, and Nature Trail.

Zephaniah’s work also evolved into music of the same name, and he would also perform with The Benjamin Zephaniah Band.

He also collaborated with Irish singer Sinead O'Connor for the album Empire and teamed up with British musician Howard Jones and drummer Trevor Morais for his Naked album.

His international acclaim came with the album Rasta, featuring The Wailers' first recording after Bob Marley's death and a tribute to South African leader Mandela. The album even reached the top of the Yugoslavian pop charts.

Zephaniah's talents were not confined to the written word. He made a name for himself in the world of television by the 1990s, with notable roles in popular TV shows like EastEnders, The Bill, and the BBC gangster epic Peaky Blinders, where he played the role of Jeremiah ‘Jimmy’ Jesus.

compressed-Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 7.46.32 AM.jpeg
Zephaniah was known for his character as Jimmy Jesus in the series Peaky Blinders. Credit: BBC

Despite his success, including having 16 doctorates for his work, Zephaniah remained a staunch critic of the British Empire. In 2003, he famously turned down an OBE for his services to literature, stating that accepting it would make him a hypocrite as he was ‘proudly anti-empire’.

His refusal to be honoured by an institution he associated with slavery and brutality further cemented his reputation as a fearless advocate for social justice.

‘My obsession is about the future and the political rights of all people,’ Zephaniah commented.

'”Empire” reminds me of slavery, it reminds of thousands of years of brutality, it reminds me of how my foremothers were raped and my forefathers brutalised…’

'Benjamin Zephaniah OBE—no way, Mr Blair, no way, Mrs Queen. I am profoundly anti-empire.’

Zephaniah's passing has left a void in the world of literature and entertainment. His family, in a statement shared on social media, described him as a ‘true pioneer and innovator, who gave the world so much and leaves us with a joyful and fantastic legacy'.

They expressed their gratitude for the love and support shown to Zephaniah throughout his life and career.

The family added in its statement, ‘It is with great sadness and regret that we announced the death of our beloved husband, son and brother in the early hours of this morning, 7th December 2023.’

'Benjamin was diagnosed with a brain tumour eight weeks ago. Benjamin's wife was by his side throughout and was with him when he passed.’

'We shared him with the world, and we know many will be shocked and saddened by this news.’

'Benjamin was a true pioneer and innovator, he gave the world so much. Through an amazing career including a huge body of poems, literature, music, television, and radio, Benjamin leaves us with a joyful and fantastic legacy.’

‘Thank you for the love you have shown Professor Benjamin Zephaniah.'

Since the announcement of his death, many friends, colleagues, and fans have paid tribute on social media.

Peaky Blinders co-star, Cillian Murphy, described Zephaniah as a 'beautiful human being', a sentiment echoed by many who knew him.

‘Benjamin was a truly gifted and beautiful human being–a generational poet, writer, musician and activist,’ Murphy said.

'A proud Brummie and a Peaky Blinder. I'm so saddened by this news. RIP.'

PEN Pinter Prize Winner and Children’s Author Michael Rosen—Children’s Laureate from 2007 to 2009—said Zephaniah’s death was ‘tragic, terrible news’.

‘I'm devastated. I admired him, respected him, learnt from him, [and] loved him. Love and condolences to the family and to all who loved him too,’ Rosen said.

Labour MP Diane Abbott also said, ‘So sad to hear about the death of poet Benjamin Zephaniah. A great man and a trailblazer.’

Radio presenter Gemma Cairney expressed her condolences.

‘What heartbreaking news. Deepest condolences to the family. Benjamin was one of our greatest,’ she wrote.

‘Our learned and beloved elder, Benjamin Zephaniah is now an ancestor,’ fellow writer Nels Abbey wrote.

'To call this crushing news is a massive understatement. He was far too young, far too brilliant and still had so much to offer. A loss we'll never recover from.'

compressed-Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 7.53.55 AM.jpeg
Family, friends, and colleagues paid tribute to Benjamin Zephaniah. Credit: @officialbenjaminzephaniah / Instagram

A spokesperson for the Black British Book Festival said, ‘We're deeply saddened by the loss of Benjamin Zephaniah, a pioneering Dub Poet and Author whose energy, vibe, and unapologetic work paved the way for Black British Writers.’

'We're forever grateful for his contributions and commitment. His legacy will live on forever.'

DJ and BBC Radio Host Trevor Nelson also paid tribute to Zephaniah, saying he was a ‘unique talent’.

‘So sad to hear about the passing of Benjamin Zephaniah. 'Too young, too soon, he had a lot more to give. He was a unique talent R.I.P.'

'Very sorry to hear this news. Benjamin Zephaniah was our radical poet laureate. Rest in power, my friend', said fellow musician Billy Bragg.

Zephaniah’s football team Aston Villa paid tribute to his memory.

‘Everyone at Aston Villa is deeply saddened by news of the passing of legendary writer and poet, Benjamin Zephaniah,’ it said.

'Named as one of Britain's top 50 post-war writers in 2008, Benjamin was a lifelong Aston Villa fan and had served as an ambassador for the Aston Villa Foundation.’

'The thoughts and condolences of all at the club are with his family and friends at this time.'

Zephaniah's life was a testament to the power of resilience and the transformative potential of art. From his humble beginnings in Birmingham to his celebrated career as a poet, actor, and activist, Zephaniah's journey serves as an inspiration to many. His legacy, encapsulated in his vast body of work, will continue to inspire and challenge future generations.
Key Takeaways
  • Renowned British poet and actor Benjamin Zephaniah has passed away aged 65, weeks after being diagnosed with a brain tumour.
  • The dub poet had achieved acclaim in the creative industries, notably being hailed as Nelson Mandela's favourite poet and starring in the BBC series Peaky Blinders.
  • Zephaniah had received 16 doctorates for his work and famously turned down an OBE in 2003 due to his opposition to the British Empire.
  • Tributes have flowed from fans, colleagues and friends, honouring Zephaniah as a 'true pioneer' and 'beautiful human being'.
Our hearts go to the family of Benjamin Zephaniah. May he rest in peace.

As we remember Benjamin Zephaniah, let's take a moment to reflect on his remarkable life and the indelible mark he left on the world.

Sponsored
The world of literature and entertainment mourns the loss of a true pioneer, Benjamin Zephaniah, who passed away at the age of 65 after a short but fierce battle with a brain tumour.

Known for his profound contributions to poetry, literature, music, television, and activism, Zephaniah's life was a testament to resilience and the power of words.

Born on April 15, 1958, in Birmingham, Zephaniah was the son of a Barbadian postman and a Jamaican nurse.

Despite being diagnosed with dyslexia at an early age and leaving school at 13 without the ability to read or write, Zephaniah's spirit remained unbroken.

View attachment 36898
Benjamin Zephaniah died at age 65 from brain tumour. Credit: @jeremycorbyn / X (formerly Twitter)

His early life was marked by brushes with the law and time spent in a Borstal and prison. He recalled in a previous interview how a gang made him feel like ‘Robin Hood’ in ‘redistributing wealth’ and how they were ‘frequently in trouble’ with the cops.

Zephaniah's journey from a dyslexic school dropout to a celebrated poet and actor is a story of triumph over adversity. His first book, Pen Rhythm, published in his 20s, marked the beginning of a prolific career over four decades.

His work, often characterised by its focus on racial injustice and the aftermath of the British Empire, resonated with audiences worldwide.

His unique blend of dub poetry, a Jamaican style of work, and his unapologetic exploration of 'Black Britain' earned him the title of Britain's 'people's laureate' and made him Nelson Mandela's favourite poet.

Zephaniah launched his first collection to revive poetry's standing in academia, promising to bring it to every corner. In his 2001 work, Too Black Too Strong, he passionately depicted the challenges faced by 'Black Britain.'

The following year, he published We Are Britain!—a set of poems celebrating the country's rich cultural diversity.

As a children's poet, Zephaniah penned works such as Talking Turkeys, We Sang Across The Sea: The Empire Windrush And Me, and Nature Trail.

Zephaniah’s work also evolved into music of the same name, and he would also perform with The Benjamin Zephaniah Band.

He also collaborated with Irish singer Sinead O'Connor for the album Empire and teamed up with British musician Howard Jones and drummer Trevor Morais for his Naked album.

His international acclaim came with the album Rasta, featuring The Wailers' first recording after Bob Marley's death and a tribute to South African leader Mandela. The album even reached the top of the Yugoslavian pop charts.

Zephaniah's talents were not confined to the written word. He made a name for himself in the world of television by the 1990s, with notable roles in popular TV shows like EastEnders, The Bill, and the BBC gangster epic Peaky Blinders, where he played the role of Jeremiah ‘Jimmy’ Jesus.

View attachment 36900
Zephaniah was known for his character as Jimmy Jesus in the series Peaky Blinders. Credit: BBC

Despite his success, including having 16 doctorates for his work, Zephaniah remained a staunch critic of the British Empire. In 2003, he famously turned down an OBE for his services to literature, stating that accepting it would make him a hypocrite as he was ‘proudly anti-empire’.

His refusal to be honoured by an institution he associated with slavery and brutality further cemented his reputation as a fearless advocate for social justice.

‘My obsession is about the future and the political rights of all people,’ Zephaniah commented.

'”Empire” reminds me of slavery, it reminds of thousands of years of brutality, it reminds me of how my foremothers were raped and my forefathers brutalised…’

'Benjamin Zephaniah OBE—no way, Mr Blair, no way, Mrs Queen. I am profoundly anti-empire.’

Zephaniah's passing has left a void in the world of literature and entertainment. His family, in a statement shared on social media, described him as a ‘true pioneer and innovator, who gave the world so much and leaves us with a joyful and fantastic legacy'.

They expressed their gratitude for the love and support shown to Zephaniah throughout his life and career.

The family added in its statement, ‘It is with great sadness and regret that we announced the death of our beloved husband, son and brother in the early hours of this morning, 7th December 2023.’

'Benjamin was diagnosed with a brain tumour eight weeks ago. Benjamin's wife was by his side throughout and was with him when he passed.’

'We shared him with the world, and we know many will be shocked and saddened by this news.’

'Benjamin was a true pioneer and innovator, he gave the world so much. Through an amazing career including a huge body of poems, literature, music, television, and radio, Benjamin leaves us with a joyful and fantastic legacy.’

‘Thank you for the love you have shown Professor Benjamin Zephaniah.'

Since the announcement of his death, many friends, colleagues, and fans have paid tribute on social media.

Peaky Blinders co-star, Cillian Murphy, described Zephaniah as a 'beautiful human being', a sentiment echoed by many who knew him.

‘Benjamin was a truly gifted and beautiful human being–a generational poet, writer, musician and activist,’ Murphy said.

'A proud Brummie and a Peaky Blinder. I'm so saddened by this news. RIP.'

PEN Pinter Prize Winner and Children’s Author Michael Rosen—Children’s Laureate from 2007 to 2009—said Zephaniah’s death was ‘tragic, terrible news’.

‘I'm devastated. I admired him, respected him, learnt from him, [and] loved him. Love and condolences to the family and to all who loved him too,’ Rosen said.

Labour MP Diane Abbott also said, ‘So sad to hear about the death of poet Benjamin Zephaniah. A great man and a trailblazer.’

Radio presenter Gemma Cairney expressed her condolences.

‘What heartbreaking news. Deepest condolences to the family. Benjamin was one of our greatest,’ she wrote.

‘Our learned and beloved elder, Benjamin Zephaniah is now an ancestor,’ fellow writer Nels Abbey wrote.

'To call this crushing news is a massive understatement. He was far too young, far too brilliant and still had so much to offer. A loss we'll never recover from.'

View attachment 36901
Family, friends, and colleagues paid tribute to Benjamin Zephaniah. Credit: @officialbenjaminzephaniah / Instagram

A spokesperson for the Black British Book Festival said, ‘We're deeply saddened by the loss of Benjamin Zephaniah, a pioneering Dub Poet and Author whose energy, vibe, and unapologetic work paved the way for Black British Writers.’

'We're forever grateful for his contributions and commitment. His legacy will live on forever.'

DJ and BBC Radio Host Trevor Nelson also paid tribute to Zephaniah, saying he was a ‘unique talent’.

‘So sad to hear about the passing of Benjamin Zephaniah. 'Too young, too soon, he had a lot more to give. He was a unique talent R.I.P.'

'Very sorry to hear this news. Benjamin Zephaniah was our radical poet laureate. Rest in power, my friend', said fellow musician Billy Bragg.

Zephaniah’s football team Aston Villa paid tribute to his memory.

‘Everyone at Aston Villa is deeply saddened by news of the passing of legendary writer and poet, Benjamin Zephaniah,’ it said.

'Named as one of Britain's top 50 post-war writers in 2008, Benjamin was a lifelong Aston Villa fan and had served as an ambassador for the Aston Villa Foundation.’

'The thoughts and condolences of all at the club are with his family and friends at this time.'

Zephaniah's life was a testament to the power of resilience and the transformative potential of art. From his humble beginnings in Birmingham to his celebrated career as a poet, actor, and activist, Zephaniah's journey serves as an inspiration to many. His legacy, encapsulated in his vast body of work, will continue to inspire and challenge future generations.
Key Takeaways

• Renowned British poet and actor Benjamin Zephaniah has passed away aged 65, weeks after being diagnosed with a brain tumour.
  • The dub poet had achieved acclaim in the creative industries, notably being hailed as NelsonDydlexic Mandela's favourite poet and starring in the BBC series Peaky Blinders.
  • Zephaniah had received 16 doctorates for his work and famously turned down an OBE in 2003 due to his opposition to the British Empire.
  • Tributes have flowed from fans, colleagues and friends, honouring Zephaniah as a 'true pioneer' and 'beautiful human being'.
Our hearts go to the family of Benjamin Zephaniah. May he rest in peace.

As we remember Benjamin Zephaniah, let's take a moment to reflect on his remarkable life and the indelible mark he left on the world.
Dyslexic school dropout to famous poet - an amazing journey. An inspiration for anyone who suffers from learning disability. RIP

Can't say I'm familiar with his work and I've never watched Peaky Blinders, but it sounds like he was a very talented and genuine person. Always a shame to see an inspirational person die at such a relatively young age.

Reactions: Vicki.E. and Hel
Sad, but I have to say, another jab victim. They are dropping all around us. Turbo cancers the drs have never seen before. Especially in young people. Heart attacks, strokes. I've seen my friends now gone within months. Now my own family has issues they should not have, and I'm scared, but nothing I can do now. They made their choice.

Sad, but I have to say, another jab victim. They are dropping all around us. Turbo cancers the drs have never seen before. Especially in young people. Heart attacks, strokes. I've seen my friends now gone within months. Now my own family has issues they should not have, and I'm scared, but nothing I can do now. They made their choice.
They made their choice ! Please explain, are you talking about the covid vaccine

The truth has now come out. These Covid Jabs were never Vaccines. Never safe or affective.. deaths across the world are up 20% above average. Some are more. True data has now been released in NZ how many deaths.. people could have said no. If everyone had sad no, our choice, mandates not law, not doing it. If they had, it would have all been over in weeks. Instead everyone rushed to get 2, then 3, then 4 and 5. Never in history before was this forced on people, you no Govt official being charged over it..

The truth has now come out. These Covid Jabs were never Vaccines. Never safe or affective.. deaths across the world are up 20% above average. Some are more. True data has now been released in NZ how many deaths.. people could have said no. If everyone had sad no, our choice, mandates not law, not doing it. If they had, it would have all been over in weeks. Instead everyone rushed to get 2, then 3, then 4 and 5. Never in history before was this forced on people, you no Govt official being charged over it..
I actually agree with you. I have loss two friends this year both to heart attacks one 63 the other 59 both healthy although the 63 year old was a heavy smoker.

When covid was happening people trusted the doctors.
At one stage we were told if we were vaccinated we couldn't work, we couldn't go on holidays

Then again we have to remember how many were dying from covid every day, some day those numbers were very high .

Catching covid also had some very long lasting side affects

I'm thinking it's too early to say

Can't say I'm familiar with his work and I've never watched Peaky Blinders, but it sounds like he was a very talented and genuine person. Always a shame to see an inspirational person die at such a relatively young age.
Same with me. I've never watched the show but the name of it reminds of erect nipples for some strange reason....

People were not dying of Covid.. it was a scam. They had to convince people of a deadly virus, so they way get jabbed.. no Covid, people would not have got it.. every death in hospitals or nursing homes from Pneumonia, heart attack , old age, were all documented as Covid deaths. They were paid $300 or more per Covid death. We know the truth. The whistleblowers have come out, and telling the truth, which we smart people knew already.. many people still believe. They wear mask still. It does nothing.. Ive studied all about virology in the last 3 yrs. Your body creates the virus. It's dead. When your system is under stress, it creates a virus, then your T cells spring into action to get rid of it.. cold or flu that's it.. it does not transmit to another host.. only bacteria can do this. The Spanish flu was bacterial pneumonia, and Bill Gates father was right behind the spread.. believe it.. we are under psychological attack.

People were not dying of Covid.. it was a scam. They had to convince people of a deadly virus, so they way get jabbed.. no Covid, people would not have got it.. every death in hospitals or nursing homes from Pneumonia, heart attack , old age, were all documented as Covid deaths. They were paid $300 or more per Covid death. We know the truth. The whistleblowers have come out, and telling the truth, which we smart people knew already.. many people still believe. They wear mask still. It does nothing.. Ive studied all about virology in the last 3 yrs. Your body creates the virus. It's dead. When your system is under stress, it creates a virus, then your T cells spring into action to get rid of it.. cold or flu that's it.. it does not transmit to another host.. only bacteria can do this. The Spanish flu was bacterial pneumonia, and Bill Gates father was right behind the spread.. believe it.. we are under psychological attack.
I have a spare roll of aluminium foil so you can make a new hat....

Omg you sound like my conspiracy theorist husband.
Covid was and is real.

For what reason did the whole world shut down creating a huge downfall in the world economy . What did our government get out of paying jobkeeper for all those months.

Companies loss billions
Governments loss billions

If anyone is to blame maybe it was phisher and astrazenika. I believe they may have invented the virus and already had a vaccination ready to cover their huge losses 10 years earlier, through law suites

I never had the mRNA jab but waited for the Novovax. I was and still am against any shots that hadn’t been properly tested. The Novovax seemed like a fair compromise but looking back that was a waste too. I’ve had Covid twice, (although I have a compromised immune system). For me it’s just like a bad flu. It’s a disgrace the way restrictions were imposed on our lives without even knowing the consequences of those jabs.

Bloody hell! The conspiracy theory nuts didn't take long to appear.
Never had the covid injections and never had covid 🎅but my brothers and sisters had the injections and had covid at least 3 times and the same with my neighbour.🙀

Reactions: DLHM
Never had the covid injections and never had covid 🎅but my brothers and sisters had the injections and had covid at least 3 times and the same with my neighbour.🙀
As you point out, those injections did more harm than good. The pharmaceutical companies and their shareholders laughed all the way to the bank by duping people into having themselves injected with chemicals that were not properly tested. I took one of my daughters to the ED where she was diagnosed with pericarditis after her second jab. (She had no health problems up until then.) She didn’t particularly want to get jabbed, but she needed her job.
I’m not into conspiracies, just science and facts. 😀