Passengers Sue After 'Cruise from Hell' - Here’s What Happened

Ah, the romance of the open sea! There's nothing quite like the relaxation and indulgence that comes with taking a cruise, especially to some of the world's most breathtaking destinations.

Whether it's a chance to escape the hustle and bustle of daily life or an opportunity to explore exotic locales, cruising is a popular leisure activity that appeals to many.

There's nothing quite as exciting as embarking on a luxurious cruise to explore the stunning South Pacific islands.

But as one group of travellers found out, things can quickly take a turn for the worse, even on the most well-planned trips.

In 2017, passengers aboard the P&O Pacific Aria's South Pacific cruise from Brisbane to Noumea and Vanuatu experienced a harrowing ordeal when the vessel sailed directly into the path of a Category 5 cyclone.

1683769471448.png
A class action is being launched against Carnival PLC for the ‘traumatic’ incident experienced by the passengers of P&O Pacific Aria’s South Pacific cruise. Credit: Facebook/7News.

What should have been a dream holiday turned into a nightmare for those on board, and the incident has since been dubbed the ‘cruise from hell’.

In the aftermath of the traumatic experience, a class-action lawsuit has been filed against the cruise operator's parent company, Carnival PLC, by a Brisbane-based law firm, Carter Capner Law.

The plaintiffs are seeking damages and a refund on their cruise fares in response to the traumatic events that unfolded on their ill-fated voyage.

'Before departure, a cyclone warning had been issued for Vanuatu as had a forecast that the category 3 cyclone was heading in the direction of Noumea,’ remarked Peter Carter, Director of Carter Capner Law.

According to Mr Carter, despite warnings of an incoming cyclone prior to departure, passengers on the May 5th sailing were not given the option to cancel their voyage.

Additionally, on arrival at Noumea, travellers said the ship was forced to dock in an industrial port due to the high winds, with the storm increasing to Category 5 levels on May 8th. The city was in lockdown ahead of the storm, with no attractions open for tourists.

Mr Carter continued: ‘On arrival at Noumea the ship was required to dock in the industrial port due to the high winds rather than at the cruise ship terminal.’

‘Nothing was open in the city as Noumea was in lockdown for the arrival of the cyclone, and several passengers left the ship in Noumea because of the terrible sea conditions they had experienced and flew back to Brisbane.’

When the vessel left Noumea, passengers reported terrifying scenes of water crashing over both sides of the Pacific Aria as they headed towards Vanuatu.

'This was truly a cruise from hell, with many passengers so scared they confined themselves to their cabin,' he added.

Photos and video captured aboard the ship show broken crockery and flooding, with the pool violently sloshing about.

It should also be noted that the ocean conditions became so severe that the next two stops on the cruise were cancelled.

While Carnival Australia has yet to make a statement in light of the ongoing court case, it is commendable that the affected passengers are standing up for their rights.

Key Takeaways
  • A class-action lawsuit has been lodged against P&O’s parent company, Carnival PLC after a cruise sailed into a category 5 cyclone.
  • Passengers on the P&O Pacific Aria were not given the option to cancel despite cyclone warnings issued prior to departure.
  • The lawsuit seeks damages for disappointment, frustration, discomfort, and distress, as well as a refund of the cruise fare paid by each passenger.
  • Carnival Australia declined to comment while the matter is before the courts.

There you have it, folks. This story highlights the importance of being well-informed about potential weather risks and the practices of cruise lines when planning your holiday.

The key takeaway from this story is to check weather forecasts and warnings before booking your trip and to ensure that your travel company provides coverage in case of mistakes, poor weather or emergencies.

It's always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to spending your hard-earned money.

If you find yourself in a situation like the unfortunate cruise-goers, it's crucial to report all the details to your travel or insurance company.

Do you have any tips for staying safe during your cruise holidays? Share them with us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
Get over it, you take your chances with the weather especially on ships. I have sailed through cyclones and really rough weather. The crews did a marvellous job and remember the crew are sailing through rough weather all the time and are trained for contingencies. Everyone is out for a buck today and suing at the slighest thing.

My husband was a marine engineer for 40+ years and sailed into similar situations many times. I believe there are practical and safe ways for ships to sail through these conditions. Some conditions require a ship to sail straight through it - I’m not sure how that would exactly be done.

So where should they have turned in your situation? It is not easy for a ship to do an about turn in a hurry - it is not a car or a plane that can turn fairly quickly, and the size of a cyclone is not just a kilometre or so wide. Give the company a chance to put their case forward and explain their reasons for doing it that way. Perhaps the nearest port was the one they sailed to for protection. It is not their fault that everything was shut at the time you were there.

Ah, the romance of the open sea! There's nothing quite like the relaxation and indulgence that comes with taking a cruise, especially to some of the world's most breathtaking destinations.

Whether it's a chance to escape the hustle and bustle of daily life or an opportunity to explore exotic locales, cruising is a popular leisure activity that appeals to many.

There's nothing quite as exciting as embarking on a luxurious cruise to explore the stunning South Pacific islands.

But as one group of travellers found out, things can quickly take a turn for the worse, even on the most well-planned trips.

In 2017, passengers aboard the P&O Pacific Aria's South Pacific cruise from Brisbane to Noumea and Vanuatu experienced a harrowing ordeal when the vessel sailed directly into the path of a Category 5 cyclone.

View attachment 19539
A class action is being launched against Carnival PLC for the ‘traumatic’ incident experienced by the passengers of P&O Pacific Aria’s South Pacific cruise. Credit: Facebook/7News.

What should have been a dream holiday turned into a nightmare for those on board, and the incident has since been dubbed the ‘cruise from hell’.

In the aftermath of the traumatic experience, a class-action lawsuit has been filed against the cruise operator's parent company, Carnival PLC, by a Brisbane-based law firm, Carter Capner Law.

The plaintiffs are seeking damages and a refund on their cruise fares in response to the traumatic events that unfolded on their ill-fated voyage.

'Before departure, a cyclone warning had been issued for Vanuatu as had a forecast that the category 3 cyclone was heading in the direction of Noumea,’ remarked Peter Carter, Director of Carter Capner Law.

According to Mr Carter, despite warnings of an incoming cyclone prior to departure, passengers on the May 5th sailing were not given the option to cancel their voyage.

Additionally, on arrival at Noumea, travellers said the ship was forced to dock in an industrial port due to the high winds, with the storm increasing to Category 5 levels on May 8th. The city was in lockdown ahead of the storm, with no attractions open for tourists.

Mr Carter continued: ‘On arrival at Noumea the ship was required to dock in the industrial port due to the high winds rather than at the cruise ship terminal.’

‘Nothing was open in the city as Noumea was in lockdown for the arrival of the cyclone, and several passengers left the ship in Noumea because of the terrible sea conditions they had experienced and flew back to Brisbane.’

When the vessel left Noumea, passengers reported terrifying scenes of water crashing over both sides of the Pacific Aria as they headed towards Vanuatu.

'This was truly a cruise from hell, with many passengers so scared they confined themselves to their cabin,' he added.

Photos and video captured aboard the ship show broken crockery and flooding, with the pool violently sloshing about.

It should also be noted that the ocean conditions became so severe that the next two stops on the cruise were cancelled.

While Carnival Australia has yet to make a statement in light of the ongoing court case, it is commendable that the affected passengers are standing up for their rights.

Key Takeaways

• A class-action lawsuit has been lodged against P&O’s parent company, Carnival PLC after a cruise sailed into a category 5 cyclone.
  • Passengers on the P&O Pacific Aria were not given the option to cancel despite cyclone warnings issued prior to departure.
  • The lawsuit seeks damages for disappointment, frustration, discomfort, and distress, as well as a refund of the cruise fare paid by each passenger.

There you have it, folks. This story highlights the importance of being well-informed about potential weather risks and the practices of cruise lines when planning your holiday.

The key takeaway from this story is to check weather forecasts and warnings before booking your trip and to ensure that your travel company provides coverage in case of mistakes, poor weather or emergencies.

It's always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to spending your hard-earned money.

If you find yourself in a situation like the unfortunate cruise-goers, it's crucial to report all the details to your travel or insurance company.

Do you have any tips for staying safe during your cruise holidays? Share them with us in the comments section below!

I went on that same cruise but 2 years later, they changed the ship about a month before so we ended up on the Dawn, anyway there was a cyclone out at sea, and they said yeah nothing to worry about everything was cool, so we took off and we followed this cyclone all the way to Noumea and then to Vanuatu the ship rocked and rolled. It was the funniest thing everyone was rocking all over the place, no one really complained, it was only for a day or two, it was trying to sleep was the funniest nearly falling out of bed that many times during the night but hey, it’s a cruise will never forget and then we had blue skies and the best cruise ever 🛳️

My husband was a marine engineer for 40+ years and sailed into similar situations many times. I believe there are practical and safe ways for ships to sail through these conditions. Some conditions require a ship to sail straight through it - I’m not sure how that would exactly be done.

So where should they have turned in your situation? It is not easy for a ship to do an about turn in a hurry - it is not a car or a plane that can turn fairly quickly, and the size of a cyclone is not just a kilometre or so wide. Give the company a chance to put their case forward and explain their reasons for doing it that way. Perhaps the nearest port was the one they sailed to for protection. It is not their fault that everything was shut at the time you were there.
Catherines, my brother is a ships captain and they don't put their crew or passengers in jeopardy. As you said you cannot steer a ship around like a car. They take all necessary precautions to either out run or steer the ship safely through rough waters. There are a lot of other areas in the world where conditions are very bad and ship's crew have been lost but the ship will do all that is possible for safety.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Ships are designed to sail in this type of weather and captains and crew are trained to handle all eventualities, if you think this was rough go sail in the North Sea in the Arctic during stormy weather and experience a proper gale. You take your chances with the weather when you book any cruise or flight, so get over it.

I believe I was on that 2017 ship, and it was not something I'd ever faced before. Very dramatic with the waves higher than the ship. Many were so sick, but a lot of sickness would have been for overdoing the amount of food they ate. Like smorgasboards everywhere, the nice food is there several times a day and people can't resist eating a lot. I understand but luckily don't usually eat too much and just had what I wanted. Also I had never been sea-sick before and didn't this time luckily. The funniest thing was an event they organised. It was people 'line dancing' on the stage, while the ship rock'n'rolled. We were lurching everywhere and I couldn't stop laughing. The staff did their best and were very helpful during all this.

Remember the rogue wave in the North Atlantic that hit the Queen? " I can't remember which Cunard ships name"?
The captain was interviewed and said " She handled the wave as the refined lady that she is".
The wave in question was estimated to be 70 foot plus. I gave the order to steer straight into the wave.
having seen the wave picked up on radar ample time was had to turn the ship head-on said the captain.
These people are professionals. So, there are no problems sailing thru inclement weather.
Ps the ship is still afloat today.

View attachment 19539

Key Takeaways

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I believe I was on that 2017 ship, and it was not something I'd ever faced before. Very dramatic with the waves higher than the ship. Many were so sick, but a lot of sickness would have been for overdoing the amount of food they ate. Like smorgasboards everywhere, the nice food is there several times a day and people can't resist eating a lot. I understand but luckily don't usually eat too much and just had what I wanted. Also I had never been sea-sick before and didn't this time luckily. The funniest thing was an event they organised. It was people 'line dancing' on the stage, while the ship rock'n'rolled. We were lurching everywhere and I couldn't stop laughing. The staff did their best and were very helpful during all this.
You shouldn’t have been ‘line-dancing’ - it was a ‘rock & roll’ occasion!! Ha, ha. Never look at the waves through your porthole or dining room windows! Good advice given to me once as the motion of the waves increases your feeling of sea-sickness. Not necessarily over-eating, but could have been drinking alcohol which would not help either. And staff are trained for eventualities such as rough weather.

No point in blaming the shipping company; they would not have deliberately sailed into a cyclone but would have taken the quickest (& safest) option they had to get out of bad weather. Yes get over it.

Last edited:

View attachment 19539

Key Takeaways

Bad management by the company and the ship's captain.

View attachment 19539

Key Takeaways

What a load of crap, the weather forecast for the areas which the vessel was scheduled was readily available to every passenger onboard the vessel prior to the vessels departure and no one had their arms bent up their backs to board the vessel. If Carnival had refused to refund or issue future cruise credits for passengers who had the foresight to cancel their cruise because of the weather forecast then a class action to recover their cruise costs would be understandable. I am just wondering, how many of the passengers are part of the class action and how many passengers were on the cruise. Myself, I enjoy a cruise through rough weather which must be acknowledged as being a possible weather event through the Oceans of the World as it adds to the excitement of the cruise. I can remember a cruise from Sydney to Fremantle in the 1970's when the vessel ploughed through some of the roughest seas ever experienced around the bottom tip of Western Australia and my wife and I were amongst a very low number of passengers who turned up for breakfast but then again there were no ambulance chasing groups trying to screw money from reputable companies.

Remember the rogue wave in the North Atlantic that hit the Queen? " I can't remember which Cunard ships name"?
The captain was interviewed and said " She handled the wave as the refined lady that she is".
The wave in question was estimated to be 70 foot plus. I gave the order to steer straight into the wave.
having seen the wave picked up on radar ample time was had to turn the ship head-on said the captain.
These people are professionals. So, there are no problems sailing thru inclement weather.
Ps the ship is still afloat today.
We recently sailed on the QM2, a passenger ship, not a cruise ship, which was designed to handle the North Atlantic and even during inclement weather it was difficult to even sense any movement of the liner.

Modern ships and cruise liners have ‘stabilisers’. These are meant to do just that - STABILISE. Perhaps many of these passengers had not been on a cruise before and didn’t know how a ship sails through calm or rough weather and what to expect. I have been on a few cruises, one in bad weather, but the best place is in your cabin, not roaming the decks and looking over their railings.

A captain would not deliberately sail into rough weather as damage to the ship and, especially sickness or injury to passengers would result in huge costs to the company which would be of his doing. Captains do not DELIBERATELY take such chances.

• Love
Reactions: Liz