Parked vehicle with 'fake' disabled badge causes concern among Aussie drivers

In the bustling car parks of Australia's shopping centres, a new controversy emerged and sparked heated debates among drivers.

A photo recently went viral on social media, which sounded the alarm for several advocacy groups and led to calls for greater awareness and law enforcement.

Shoppers at the Orion Shopping Centre spotted a Toyota Esquire Welcab bearing a wheelchair sticker and parked in the shopping centre's disabled spot.

The Toyota Esquire Welcab is a wheelchair-accessible vehicle from Japan specifically designed to transport individuals with disabilities.

However, the car was parked in the spot without a visible permit, sparking outrage from social media users and drivers in a social media group.

toyota esquire.png
A Toyota Esquire Welcab took a disabled parking spot without a visible permit. Image Credit: Facebook/Kerry Reardon

Members suggested that the sticker could be fake, possibly purchased online, in an attempt to exploit the system.

'Nice try,' one commented.

The lengths some people will go,' another wrote with concern.

However, as the conversation unfolded, the situation might not be as black-and-white as it first appeared.

Some commenters pointed out that the vehicle's design inherently indicated its purpose for disability transport, and the absence of a displayed permit could be an oversight.

'Of course, the permit must be shown when parking in these spots. I'm just pointing out that there is a much higher chance this was a case of forgetting rather than "buying off eBay,"' a commenter wrote.

'All we know is no permit is displayed, which is the same as not having one,' Disability lobbyist Peter Lane-Collett said.

'Yes they should have a permit, but let's be sensible and make sure we're not dragging down the very people we should be protecting here,' another comment read.

People with Disability Australia President and former Paralympian Marayke Jonkers reiterated this point.

She explained that Australia's national parking permit system—complete with personal identification and holograms—is difficult to counterfeit.

'It's highly likely that it is an illegally parked vehicle. Even if the vehicle owner is in possession of a legal parking permit, it needs to be displayed in the vehicle whenever the person with the disability is in the car, and a disabled parking spot is being used,' she reiterated.

'We can't have people circumventing the system with unofficial permits because the impact is already limited availability. If it's not in the official system, they lack the data to force the action that's sorely needed to boost supply, boost enforcement, and educate the community.'

The misuse of disabled parking spots is not a victimless crime—it impacts individuals with disabilities who rely on these spaces for accessibility and independence.

Common excuses such as 'I'm only stopping for a few minutes' or 'there's no one disabled here' are unacceptable and contribute to a culture of disregard for the needs of others.

Jonkers further advocated for community awareness and training on obtaining and using a valid permit.

She also suggested implementing a unified system to report and address parking violations efficiently and ensuring that disabled spots remain available for those in need.

It's important to respect disabled parking regulations.

If you or someone you know has a disability, ensure your permit is always visible when parking in designated spots.

If you witness a potential violation, don't hesitate to report it through the appropriate channels.
Key Takeaways

• A driver was shamed online for using a disabled parking spot without displaying a parking permit.
  • Closer inspection revealed that the vehicle was a Toyota Esquire Welcab, a wheelchair-accessible vehicle, which raised the possibility that the driver forgot to display their permit.
  • People with Disability Australia's President Marayke Jonkers emphasised the importance of displaying the official parking permit and the negative impact of unofficial permits.
  • Jonkers also called for community awareness, regulation, and stricter enforcement to ensure disabled parking spots are reserved for those who genuinely need them.
Have you encountered similar issues with disabled parking in your area? Share your experiences and thoughts on how we can improve the situation in the comments below.

Sponsored
It happens all the time in our shopping centre. I have a wheelchair sticker and while getting out the wheelchair a car pulls in next to us, out jumps the driver and rushes off to the shops, Oh!!, he did have a sticker, but no way was he disabled. My husband and I see it all the time. Only last week while shopping a very large workman type Ute parted next to us no sticker and off goes the driver. Even if you report these infringements nothing is ever done.

My husband with his heart problem should have a disability sticker. He can barely walk 100 metres without running out of breath. We have not requested one because I can drop him off and then park, with the reverse upon going home. Why are people able to use a disability spot when they are not the driver? Surely it is to be used for those that need to be near the entrance? Aagggh

My husband with his heart problem should have a disability sticker. He can barely walk 100 metres without running out of breath. We have not requested one because I can drop him off and then park, with the reverse upon going home. Why are people able to use a disability spot when they are not the driver? Surely it is to be used for those that need to be near the entrance? Aagggh
Good luck with that one... the hoops you have to jump through I have given up. I just get to the centre around 8:00 am to be able to find a car park close to the center as I too suffered a stroke and three heart attacks and get out of breath quickly.

Reactions: Johan van Zalen
Honestly speaking, I genuinely don't see a lot of cars parked in these spots, without disabiity stickers.
I believe the problem is:
1) Not upgrading the amount of Disability parking spots, at the same rate as population growth.
2) People who are NOT disabled, using a car with a sticker, for personal use.
I have personally witnessed staff who work with the disabled, using the stickers for their personal activities, without a client.

Also, people using the cars of disabled family members, for private use. This includes at least one instance witnessed, of someone using a car for many months, on a daily basis, of a family member who had passed away. Just because there is a sticker, doesn't make it legit.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
From what I have seen the genuine stickers appear to be the ones that usually hang off a suction cup or on the dashboard usually located on the INSIDE of the windscreen not a wheelchair logo (appearing to be a magnetic one) on the OUTSIDE of the car.

Good luck with that one... the hoops you have to jump through I have given up. I just get to the centre around 8:00 am to be able to find a car park close to the center as I too suffered a stroke and three heart attacks and get out of breath quickly.
I am Not applying as I just drop him off and pick him up near the entrance. Should only be used if there is only the driver

I certainly wouldn't recognise that vehicle as 'obviously' a vehicle for people with disabilities. However I did notice what I'm guessing is a magnetic plate on the left front hood similar to a P-Plate. It has the ♿️ magnet. I do agree that something more visible is better by far though. Given the positioning, not many would see it.

From what I have seen the genuine stickers appear to be the ones that usually hang off a suction cup or on the dashboard usually located on the INSIDE of the windscreen not a wheelchair logo (appearing to be a magnetic one) on the OUTSIDE of the car.
The sticker means very little, it's who is driving, if they have or are waiting for a disabled passenger, that matters!!!

The sticker means very little, it's who is driving, if they have or are waiting for a disabled passenger, that matters!!!
The license number on the sticker also doesn't help much, because you are permitted to use the license of one car in another at any time.

I reckon there is a fast one being pulled every day as i see people use these spaces and they appear to as fit as fiddles..... I will go no further than that.....

• Sad
Reactions: mOiOz
I use a disability permit when transporting my friend with a wheelchair. Space is needed to get her in & out of the vehicle. That is the purpose of these carparks.

Reactions: marni
Honestly speaking, I genuinely don't see a lot of cars parked in these spots, without disabiity stickers.
I believe the problem is:
1) Not upgrading the amount of Disability parking spots, at the same rate as population growth.
2) People who are NOT disabled, using a car with a sticker, for personal use.
I have personally witnessed staff who work with the disabled, using the stickers for their personal activities, without a client.

Also, people using the cars of disabled family members, for private use. This includes at least one instance witnessed, of someone using a car for many months, on a daily basis, of a family member who had passed away. Just because there is a sticker, doesn't make it legit.
In SA there is insufficient disability parking at most places. It is also hard when most are not undercover & the extra time it takes to transfer someone into a wheelchair leave people soaking wet by the time they enter the shopping centre, if it’s raining.