Overseas supermarkets ditched self-checkouts—should Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI follow suit?

As people around the world become busier, automated technologies let us do more in less time. One of these is the self-service checkouts which many supermarkets in Australia are offering in-store.

But while convenience has become a staple in modern life, many people still prefer human-centric experiences, which is why the recent move by British supermarket Booths has stirred international attention by rolling back self-serve checkouts.

But the important question here is: Should Aussie supermarkets do the same?

Booths supermarket announced last week that it will remove self-serve checkouts in most stores due to customer feedback citing self-checkouts were ‘unreliable’ and ‘impersonal’.

‘We believe colleagues serving customers deliver a better customer experience, and therefore, we have taken the decision to remove self-checkouts in the majority of our stores,’ explained the company.

shopping-carts-2077841_1280.jpg
Global supermarkets such as Booths, Walmart and Costco are retracting self-serve checkouts. Image source: Pixabay

Certainly, there’s something comforting about having a cashier who assists shoppers whenever they can’t find the barcode on a certain item or if the item rings up incorrectly.

The decision also garnered a lot of attention closer to home, with local shoppers pondering whether other supermarkets—such as Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI would go the same route.

However, these supermarket giants were unanimous in their responses, saying that the self-serve checkout options will likely stay in place, at least for the foreseeable future.

Coles revealed that two out of three shoppers preferred the automated checkouts for ‘convenience and efficiency’, highlighting that they ‘help customers check out more quickly and pack their bags the way they like’.

‘Over the past year, we have seen greater customer satisfaction and uptake in our self-service options,’ said Coles.

‘Of course, if customers prefer to be served by a team member, someone will always be available in the service area to serve them.’

Meanwhile, Woolworths confirmed self-service checkouts are permanent and are always available in stores.

‘We know there’s many different opinions on the use of this technology, and that’s why we have a range of ways for customers to complete their shop,’ a Woolies spokesperson said.

‘Our supermarkets employ more team members than ever before as we expand to cater to a range of different shopping needs. From rapid grocery delivery to the traditional in-store experience, as well as other convenient options like Direct to Boot.’

jonas-leupe-XL1YpEnVLb0-unsplash.jpg
Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI will continue to use self-checkouts in stores. Image source: Unsplash

ALDI, which only started introducing the machines in 2021, also shared that the technology is a ‘win-win’ for everyone because it is ‘not only efficient for our customers but also supports our business operations’ by freeing up staff to focus on other tasks.

Apart from Booths in the UK, major US retailers such as Walmart, Costco, Wegmans, and others are also scaling back on technology.
Key Takeaways

• International supermarkets are rolling back self-serve checkouts due to their perceived unreliability and impersonal nature.
  • Despite this trend, major Australian retailers ALDI, Coles, and Woolworths are retaining the technology, indicating they're the preferred option for the majority of their customers.
  • Coles and Woolworths said they have both self-service and human-operated checkouts, giving their shoppers choices based on their preferences.
  • ALDI, which only introduced self-checkouts in 2021, claimed the technology not only benefits their shoppers but also supports their business operations.
Members, what's your take on self-service checkouts? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Over the years I have noticed different overseas fads. Back in the 60s it was Rods in Maths. When America’s found it was a disaster , the powers that be put it into our schools. There have been other things along the way. Now check outs. Keep maybe 3 and 6 operated ones. Why pick up something that others are getting rid of.
Who remembers the so called colour reading back in the 60's primary schools? That didn't last too long either.

that quote is rubbish coles saying 2 out of 3 like self service , just look at your comments out of them all 1 or 2 like them
They are stubborn think they know it all

If a staff member directs me to a self serve, I ask them if I receive a staff discount, as I would be doing the job of staff by checking out my groceries. They quickly respond and serve me by checking out my items themselves with me just watching what they are doing.

The Woollies I use in Legana Tasmania has no self serve checkouts it 's great well not yet anyway

I went Xmas shopping at BigW yesterday.
Included in the shop were some gift cards. They were not for a set amount and had a range from $5-$50.
Loh and behold, no serviced checkout open. Only self serve.
Would you know what to do with those gift cards? I didn't.
So, I had to ask for help from the self service team member.
I would never have figured it out. It took her 5 minutes, and, she kept having to leave me to help other customers.
It was woeful
Just as I was leaving, a couple of older ladies lined up at the assisted service register and refused to move. The team member who helped me decided to call a team manager who then called someone to man the register and put the sales through. Good on them hey.

Reactions: katdragon2010
On the subject of shopping.
I was reminded today why I don't go to KMart too often.
It is nothing but a big mess, hard to navigate around the vast Xmas theme displays, and, then back track, find the stupid middle of the store registers, then attack the maze to get out the doors.
I hated every minute and won't be back in a hurry.

Reactions: katdragon2010
I live in Western Australia. Yes Coles and Woolworths have self-checkouts, but none of the Aldi stores I have been to have them. They have regular check-outs with operators to serve you. Another reason to use Aldi.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
As people around the world become busier, automated technologies let us do more in less time. One of these is the self-service checkouts which many supermarkets in Australia are offering in-store.

But while convenience has become a staple in modern life, many people still prefer human-centric experiences, which is why the recent move by British supermarket Booths has stirred international attention by rolling back self-serve checkouts.

But the important question here is: Should Aussie supermarkets do the same?

Booths supermarket announced last week that it will remove self-serve checkouts in most stores due to customer feedback citing self-checkouts were ‘unreliable’ and ‘impersonal’.

‘We believe colleagues serving customers deliver a better customer experience, and therefore, we have taken the decision to remove self-checkouts in the majority of our stores,’ explained the company.

View attachment 34877
Global supermarkets such as Booths, Walmart and Costco are retracting self-serve checkouts. Image source: Pixabay

Certainly, there’s something comforting about having a cashier who assists shoppers whenever they can’t find the barcode on a certain item or if the item rings up incorrectly.

The decision also garnered a lot of attention closer to home, with local shoppers pondering whether other supermarkets—such as Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI would go the same route.

However, these supermarket giants were unanimous in their responses, saying that the self-serve checkout options will likely stay in place, at least for the foreseeable future.

Coles revealed that two out of three shoppers preferred the automated checkouts for ‘convenience and efficiency’, highlighting that they ‘help customers check out more quickly and pack their bags the way they like’.

‘Over the past year, we have seen greater customer satisfaction and uptake in our self-service options,’ said Coles.

‘Of course, if customers prefer to be served by a team member, someone will always be available in the service area to serve them.’

Meanwhile, Woolworths confirmed self-service checkouts are permanent and are always available in stores.

‘We know there’s many different opinions on the use of this technology, and that’s why we have a range of ways for customers to complete their shop,’ a Woolies spokesperson said.

‘Our supermarkets employ more team members than ever before as we expand to cater to a range of different shopping needs. From rapid grocery delivery to the traditional in-store experience, as well as other convenient options like Direct to Boot.’

View attachment 34876
Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI will continue to use self-checkouts in stores. Image source: Unsplash

ALDI, which only started introducing the machines in 2021, also shared that the technology is a ‘win-win’ for everyone because it is ‘not only efficient for our customers but also supports our business operations’ by freeing up staff to focus on other tasks.

Apart from Booths in the UK, major US retailers such as Walmart, Costco, Wegmans, and others are also scaling back on technology.
Key Takeaways

• International supermarkets are rolling back self-serve checkouts due to their perceived unreliability and impersonal nature.
  • Despite this trend, major Australian retailers ALDI, Coles, and Woolworths are retaining the technology, indicating they're the preferred option for the majority of their customers.
  • Coles and Woolworths said they have both self-service and human-operated checkouts, giving their shoppers choices based on their preferences.
  • ALDI, which only introduced self-checkouts in 2021, claimed the technology not only benefits their shoppers but also supports their business operations.
Members, what's your take on self-service checkouts? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
I hate the self-service area and 99% of the time will never use it (unless I'm forced too). But I do believe it has its place in the over-all customer satisfaction experience. But in saying that I believe that the manned front desk/disabled/express area should be manned at the whole time that the shop is open and that there should be a minimum of 4 manned checkouts opened while the shop is opened.

I hate the self-service area and 99% of the time will never use it (unless I'm forced too). But I do believe it has its place in the over-all customer satisfaction experience. But in saying that I believe that the manned front desk/disabled/express area should be manned at the whole time that the shop is open and that there should be a minimum of 4 manned checkouts opened while the shop is opened.
That will cost $$$, not acceptable to the shareholders....

Reactions: Leenie
Aldi have put 4 in recently and I refuse to use them . I am not their unpaid slave, same at woollies and coles. They want us to do their work then they should give a discount.
Aldi checkouts are 'card only' so they never see me. Always use the manned checkouts as I deal in cash..... until the day they delete cash altogether.

Who remembers the so called colour reading back in the 60's primary schools? That didn't last too long either.
Rods in maths; like Perches and Poles? Or was it the rod used to flog students who couldn't understand maths?

I always shop at Aldi, in fact I've been to about half a dozen different Aldi's over the years . They all take CASH.
What makes you think they are card only.
The sign above each and every checkout.... it's only the manned checkout that takes cash as they are worked death with the number of people that refuse to use the self-service checkouts, even use the card.

The sign above each and every checkout.... it's only the manned checkout that takes cash as they are worked death with the number of people that refuse to use the self-service checkouts, even use the card.
Well here in WA I've never seen any self serve, all the checkouts I've been to at Aldi are manned.
I also use cash, don't use the self serve, so you do have a choice
You stated Aldi didn't take cash, bur they do, your choice if you're too impatient to wait in the line.
It's just the same in the other supermarkets, hardly any manned checkouts available and they only have one or two self serve that take cash.
I prefer to wait in the line as I save plenty shopping at Aldi despite what the naysayers like to spruik.