Overcoming addiction: Pro cleaner shares the words that changed her life

Parents want what’s best for their kids and will do whatever it takes to ensure their future is full of opportunity and success.

It can feel heartbreaking to fail at this — say, by not setting a good example or making bad decisions.

But for an inspiring Melbourne mum-of-four called Kacie Stephens, being on the receiving end of her children’s disappointment was just the push she needed to turn her life around.

If the name sounds familiar, well that’s because it is! Kacie’s cleaning advice is something we feature over here at the SDC every now and then.

What started as a small cleaning business has since become one of the go-to sources of cleaning tips and tricks on TikTok.

The Big Clean Co now has more than half a million followers on the hugely popular social media platform and employs 25 staff.

However, it hasn’t always been smooth sailing for Kacie. In a recent interview, she admits that she battled an intense and painful addiction to alcohol, having developed an unhealthy drinking habit at the age of 15.

Screenshot_11.png
Kacie Stephens shared her struggles with alcoholism prior to becoming a TikTok-famous cleaning professional. Image Credit: TikTok/@thebigcleanco

According to Kacie, what made it so difficult to realise her drinking had become an issue was that she wasn’t the type to spend all day drinking — in the literal sense.

'I think it's important for people to realise addicts don't always look like how they're portrayed in mugshots and on TV,’ she said.

'I was having wine in the evening for many years…It's a trap that's easy to fall into. You don't need to be drinking all day for it to still be a problem.’

'I couldn't wait until dinner time when I could pour that glass of wine — some nights I’d even have that "cheeky wine" much earlier. It was more often than not the best part of my day.'

Before she knew it, Kacie’s seemingly ‘cheeky’ drinking habit got worse.

A ‘series of events’ happened — she didn’t elaborate — and one thing led to another.

The turning point was when one of her four children told her she ‘wasn’t any fun’ to be with.

Some might have brushed this off, but not Kacie.

It was this line from her kids that she credits for hitting the bull’s eye dead centre.

Even with the clarity that comes in hindsight, Kacie still can’t say at what point alcohol becomes ‘too much’.

'There is no measuring stick,' Kacie said. 'Any amount that a person is drinking against their will (or better judgement), is too much.’

'For me, that looked like drinking six nights a week, and on that night I didn’t, I was telling myself that day off meant I was in control.'

photo-1547595628-c61a29f496f0.jpg
Kacie said she never thought she was the type to get addicted to alcohol. Image Credit: Unsplash

In the six months since hearing her kid’s cutting, yet necessary words, Kacie struggled to stop drinking. A reminder that what she once thought was an innocent evening pastime grew into something more sinister.

Still, she persevered. In her words, it took ages, but she slowly managed to turn her wine-drinking sprees into ‘me time’ — spending more time with her family, taking leisurely walks outside, or running her full-time cleaning business.

And after six years, Kacie is sober and far better off.

It might have been too late for certain aspects of her life though, as shortly after she stopped drinking, she and her partner Kris decided to end their relationship.

But in others, Kacie realised that she felt a renewed vigour that was never there even at the depths of her alcoholic euphoria.

'I have energy to fit so much into my day and I go to bed at night to sleep knowing I’m not going to wake up the next morning with my heart in my throat, a throbbing headache, and already wishing the day away.’

'I spent a lot of energy trying to keep up the vision of a… perfect family whilst behind closed doors I was miserable. I look back on those years and it feels heavy, in comparison to the lightness I live with now.’

'Now, everything I do is about connection whether it’s with my family and friends, my clients, my staff, or as lame as it sounds even just being on the internet connecting with the people who follow me on The Big Clean Co pages. Talking about my sobriety has led to so many deeper connections.'

Kacie’s now happily back with her partner, Kris, and is in the process of launching her own line of cleaning products called For All.

Her main message to anyone battling an addiction?

'Alcohol takes tomorrow’s energy from us,' she said. 'I have passion and drive that just wasn’t there when I was drinking daily.'

We’re so pleased to see Kacie not only doing well following her recovery but managing a highly successful business as well.

According to healthline, addiction to alcohol can manifest in the following ways:
  • Always having a strong urge to drink, with difficulty controlling intake
  • An increase in drinking over time to get the same high off of alcohol
  • Hiding alcohol from others
  • Struggling with work, studies, or relationships
  • Lying about how much you’ve had to drink
  • Drinking at different times of the day
  • Looking forward to the next drink, potentially to the point of getting anxious
If you or someone you know is struggling with any of these symptoms, remember help is available. Reach out to your state or territory’s Alcohol Drug Information Service hotline or to an online support group for professional help and advice.

Australia's Alcohol & Drug Information Service 24-hour Hotlines.jpg
Australia has an array of services those struggling with alcoholism can tap. Image Credit: Seniors Discount Club

The first step to solving a problem is admitting there is one, and there’s no shame in doing so. Just ask people like Kacie.

Speaking of her, you might want to take a look at some of the wonderful and handy cleaning tips she has shared with us!
So, what are your thoughts on Kacie’s road to sobriety? Have you had a similar experience of dealing with your or your loved one’s drinking problem? How has recovery gone?

What’s a piece of advice you’d like to share with someone coming to terms with their drinking problem or with those who have been having a rough time with a loved one going through alcohol addiction?

Share your thoughts and advice below.

Sponsored
Parents want what’s best for their kids and will do whatever it takes to ensure their future is full of opportunity and success.

It can feel heartbreaking to fail at this — say, by not setting a good example or making bad decisions.

But for an inspiring Melbourne mum-of-four called Kacie Stephens, being on the receiving end of her children’s disappointment was just the push she needed to turn her life around.

If the name sounds familiar, well that’s because it is! Kacie’s cleaning advice is something we feature over here at the SDC every now and then.

What started as a small cleaning business has since become one of the go-to sources of cleaning tips and tricks on TikTok.

The Big Clean Co now has more than half a million followers on the hugely popular social media platform and employs 25 staff.

However, it hasn’t always been smooth sailing for Kacie. In a recent interview, she admits that she battled an intense and painful addiction to alcohol, having developed an unhealthy drinking habit at the age of 15.

View attachment 13652
Kacie Stephens shared her struggles with alcoholism prior to becoming a TikTok-famous cleaning professional. Image Credit: TikTok/@thebigcleanco

According to Kacie, what made it so difficult to realise her drinking had become an issue was that she wasn’t the type to spend all day drinking — in the literal sense.

'I think it's important for people to realise addicts don't always look like how they're portrayed in mugshots and on TV,’ she said.

'I was having wine in the evening for many years…It's a trap that's easy to fall into. You don't need to be drinking all day for it to still be a problem.’

'I couldn't wait until dinner time when I could pour that glass of wine — some nights I’d even have that "cheeky wine" much earlier. It was more often than not the best part of my day.'

A ‘series of events’ happened — she didn’t elaborate — and one thing led to another.

The turning point was when one of her four children told her she ‘wasn’t any fun’ to be with.

It was this line from her kids that she credits for hitting the bull’s eye dead centre.

Even with the clarity that comes in hindsight, Kacie still can’t say at what point alcohol becomes ‘too much’.

'There is no measuring stick,' Kacie said. 'Any amount that a person is drinking against their will (or better judgement), is too much.’

'For me, that looked like drinking six nights a week, and on that night I didn’t, I was telling myself that day off meant I was in control.'

View attachment 13653
Kacie said she never thought she was the type to get addicted to alcohol. Image Credit: Unsplash

In the six months since hearing her kid’s cutting, yet necessary words, Kacie struggled to stop drinking. A reminder that what she once thought was an innocent evening pastime grew into something more sinister.

Still, she persevered. In her words, it took ages, but she slowly managed to turn her wine-drinking sprees into ‘me time’ — spending more time with her family, taking leisurely walks outside, or running her full-time cleaning business.

It might have been too late for certain aspects of her life though, as shortly after she stopped drinking, she and her partner Kris decided to end their relationship.

In other aspects of life, though, Kacie realised that she felt a renewed vigour that was never there even at the depths of her alcoholic euphoria.

'I have energy to fit so much into my day and I go to bed at night to sleep knowing I’m not going to wake up the next morning with my heart in my throat, a throbbing headache, and already wishing the day away.’

'I spent a lot of energy trying to keep up the vision of a… perfect family whilst behind closed doors I was miserable. I look back on those years and it feels heavy, in comparison to the lightness I live with now.’

'Now, everything I do is about connection whether it’s with my family and friends, my clients, my staff, or as lame as it sounds even just being on the internet connecting with the people who follow me on The Big Clean Co pages. Talking about my sobriety has led to so many deeper connections.'

Kacie’s now happily back with her partner, Kris, and is in the process of launching her own line of cleaning products called For All.

'Alcohol takes tomorrow’s energy from us,' she said. 'I have passion and drive that just wasn’t there when I was drinking daily.'

We’re so pleased to see Kacie not only doing well following her recovery but managing a highly successful business as well.

According to healthline, addiction to alcohol can manifest in the following ways:
  • Looking forward to the next drink, potentially to the point of getting anxious
If you or someone you know is struggling with any of these symptoms, remember help is available. Reach out to your state or territory’s Alcohol Drug Information Service hotline or to an online support group for professional help and advice.

View attachment 13654
Australia has an array of services those struggling with alcoholism can tap. Image Credit: Seniors Discount Club

The first step to solving a problem is admitting there is one, and there’s no shame in doing so. Just ask people like Kacie.

Speaking of her, you might want to take a look at some of the wonderful and handy cleaning tips she has shared with us!
So, what are your thoughts on Kacie’s road to sobriety? Have you had a similar experience of dealing with your or your loved one’s drinking problem? How has recovery gone?

What’s a piece of advice you’d like to share with someone coming to terms with their drinking problem or with those who have been having a rough time with a loved one going through alcohol addiction?

Well done Kacie. I know how hard any any addiction is a hard to overcome. I had a drug addiction, I do know how hard things can get! Keep up the good work

View attachment 13652

View attachment 13653

In other aspects of life, though, Kacie realised that she felt a renewed vigour that was never there even at the depths of her alcoholic euphoria.

View attachment 13654

View attachment 13652

View attachment 13653

View attachment 13654

I've always stated that I can't cure your problems, but I can be there for you.

Last edited:
My brother has been an alcoholic since his teenage years or a drug addict. He is 57 and no longer on drugs but he cant go without alcohol . His drink of today is bourbon .

I've now learnt I have to accept him as he is , I'm cant change him.

He has been looking after our mother for the past 5 years and doing a good job. Sadly I know when mum passes he won't be able to pay the rent.

I've tried helping him but something my grandmother used to say ' you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink it' is so very true with my brother.

Alcoholics or addicts need to want to get better before they can 🙏

My 50 year old son has a drug addiction and it is true that you can't help someone who wont help themselves.
I also have 4 stepdaughters who are all a little too fond of the drink. Unfortunately one of them passed awway at the very young age of 36
At the funeral I overheard her younger sister sat "let's get out of here, I can hear the beers calling",
But, of course, she doesn't think she has a problem. I have never forgotten that and have zero to no respect for her since that day.

• Sad
Reactions: Jarred Santos
Hey there, thanks for sharing Kacie's inspiring story of overcoming addiction. It's great to see people sharing their struggles and successes so that others can learn from them. I recently discovered a rehab center in Essex called Infinity Addiction Solutions. Their approach is to treat addiction as a whole, addressing not just the physical but also the mental and emotional aspects of it. I think it's important to have options like this available for people who need help. It's good to know that there are places and people like Kacie who are willing to share their stories and give hope to others. By the way, I'm new on this forum and excited to be part of the community.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Jarred Santos
Hey there, thanks for sharing Kacie's inspiring story of overcoming addiction. It's great to see people sharing their struggles and successes so that others can learn from them.
Always thankful too for people like Kacie who are upfront about their struggles to inspire others walking troubled paths 🙏