Outrageously inappropriate or unfair judgment? Woman 'shamed' for her outfit on flight

Whether you’re a frequent flier or only fly when absolutely necessary, flying late at night or going on holiday—one thing is for sure: the last thing you want to happen to you while you’re up in the air is to be shamed or judged for what you’re wearing.

Unfortunately, that’s exactly what happened to a woman while she was aboard a Southwest Airlines flight.

Maggi Thorne, a former contestant on American Ninja Warrior, took to social media to share her story, which starts with her boarding the plane wearing a baseball cap, crop top, and Nike track pants.

Well, it all seemed fine when she got on, but she was taken aback and allegedly humiliated when a flight attendant approached her and ‘shamed’ her for her outfit and—as she claimed—in front of other passengers.

'Is this really happening in 2023?' Thorne asked in disbelief.

photo (28).jpg
Maggi Thorne said that a flight attendant had ‘shamed’ her for wearing an ‘inappropriate’ outfit. Credit: @Nvr_GvUp/X (Twitter)

She added that the passengers who overheard the flight attendant were shocked by the issue.

You can see Thorne’s post here:

She declined the request to cover up, claiming she hadn’t breached any airline rules.

It is understood that Southwest has a rule about 'clothes that are lewd, obscene, or patently offensive'.

Thorne told a news source that the encounter was ‘incredibly embarrassing’.

Once her story of the encounter spread online, it quickly gained attention, which divided people—some firmly in Thorne’s corner, while others were insisting that she had worn ‘too little’ clothing for the flight and that her top was a sports bra.

‘I agree that it is inappropriate, but I wouldn't have said anything: just shook my head and rolled my eyes,’ one person wrote.

Another said: ‘I don’t consider a sports bra a tank top! Sports bras are okay for the gym but not out in public.’

‘Put some clothes on. It's a plane, not a gym. The attire should fit the event,’ a third person suggested.

‘That was ridiculous. Your attire was fine, the flight attendant was out of line, as well as any who sided with her,’ a social media user stated in Thorne’s defence.

‘Wear whatever you please. Are they paying for your ticket? Exactly what should she wear?’ someone asked.

‘That’s absurd—proud of you for standing your ground, Mag!’ a person exclaimed.

Thorne mentioned that Southwest Airlines had contacted her and apologised for the incident. The airline has yet to release a statement about this.

This isn’t the first time something like this has happened. In 2021, Isabelle Eleanore, on a Jetstar flight, claimed she was told her crop top was a bikini.

Another woman was 'degraded' on an Alaska Airlines flight, too, despite the fact she was wearing a hoodie on top of her crop top. So, what exactly is the right ‘look’ for a flight? Do we have to adhere to certain clothes conventions, or is it just ultimately down to another person’s opinion of what is and isn’t deemed appropriate?

Key Takeaways
  • A female passenger, Maggi Thorne, claimed she was ‘shamed’ by a Southwest Airlines flight attendant for her attire.
  • She shared the incident on social media, saying the attendant allegedly claimed her clothes were inappropriate in front of other passengers.
  • Thorne, who wore a baseball cap, crop top, and track pants, said the incident was 'incredibly embarrassing'.
  • The incident sparked controversy online, with varying beliefs about the appropriateness of Thorne's outfit for a flight. Thorne has since said that the airline apologised for the incident.

What do you think of this story, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Whether you’re a frequent flier or only fly when absolutely necessary, flying late at night or going on holiday—one thing is for sure: the last thing you want to happen to you while you’re up in the air is to be shamed or judged for what you’re wearing.

Unfortunately, that’s exactly what happened to a woman while she was aboard a Southwest Airlines flight.

Maggi Thorne, a former contestant on American Ninja Warrior, took to social media to share her story, which starts with her boarding the plane wearing a baseball cap, crop top, and Nike track pants.

Well, it all seemed fine when she got on, but she was taken aback and allegedly humiliated when a flight attendant approached her and ‘shamed’ her for her outfit and—as she claimed—in front of other passengers.

View attachment 29980
Maggi Thorne said that a flight attendant had ‘shamed’ her for wearing an ‘inappropriate’ outfit. Credit: @Nvr_GvUp/X (Twitter)

She added that the passengers who overheard the flight attendant were shocked by the issue.

She declined the request to cover up, claiming she hadn’t breached any airline rules.

It is understood that Southwest has a rule about 'clothes that are lewd, obscene, or patently offensive'.

Once her story of the encounter spread online, it quickly gained attention, which divided people—some firmly in Thorne’s corner, while others were insisting that she had worn ‘too little’ clothing for the flight and that her top was a sports bra.

‘I agree that it is inappropriate, but I wouldn't have said anything: just shook my head and rolled my eyes,’ one person wrote.

Another said: ‘I don’t consider a sports bra a tank top! Sports bras are okay for the gym but not out in public.’

‘Put some clothes on. It's a plane, not a gym. The attire should fit the event,’ a third person suggested.

‘That was ridiculous. Your attire was fine, the flight attendant was out of line, as well as any who sided with her,’ a social media user stated in Thorne’s defence.

‘Wear whatever you please. Are they paying for your ticket? Exactly what should she wear?’ someone asked.

Thorne mentioned that Southwest Airlines had contacted her and apologised for the incident. The airline has yet to release a statement about this.

This isn’t the first time something like this has happened. In 2021, Isabelle Eleanore, on a Jetstar flight, claimed she was told her crop top was a bikini.

Another woman was 'degraded' on an Alaska Airlines flight, too, despite the fact she was wearing a hoodie on top of her crop top. So, what exactly is the right ‘look’ for a flight? Do we have to adhere to certain clothes conventions, or is it just ultimately down to another person’s opinion of what is and isn’t deemed appropriate?

Key Takeaways

• A female passenger, Maggi Thorne, claimed she was ‘shamed’ by a Southwest Airlines flight attendant for her attire.
  • She shared the incident on social media, saying the attendant allegedly claimed her clothes were inappropriate in front of other passengers.
  • Thorne, who wore a baseball cap, crop top, and track pants, said the incident was 'incredibly embarrassing'.
  • The incident sparked controversy online, with varying beliefs about the appropriateness of Thorne's outfit for a flight. Thorne has since said that the airline apologised for the incident.

What do you think of this story, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

There is a time and place for gym attire and that is at the gym, not on an aircraft. What next, budgie smugglers?

View attachment 29980

Key Takeaways

The lady looks perfectly fine. My goodness there are people out there who do wear inappropriate clothing for thei particular size or shape but this lady is not one of them

View attachment 29980

Key Takeaways

it is yankee land not australia and i couldn't care less. please stick to australia

Could be a case of jealousy being a curse.
I don't care what other people choose to wear unless they are dressed with everything hanging out and are around kids. Otherwise, go with the flow.

Amazing how things have changed over the years. This took me back to when I boarded my first flight ever in May 1969 to travel from Vienna, Austria, to Sydney Australia as a brand-new immigrant.

Back then you dressed up, rather than down, when flying. I was 22 years old then and I wore a Coco Chanel type jacket and skirt and a blouse for the trip. If I remember right, I even wore a hat.

These days, my 'travel uniform" is jeans, t-shirt and comfortable shoes.

Each to their own, but I wouldn't wear it. Also, those American airlines are conversative, plus their percolated coffee is disgusting!

I'm another who thinks there is a time and place for everything and a gym is the place for gym clothes, that's why they're called gym clothes.
My usual dress for a plane trip is jeans, t-shirt and a light weight jacket, it's usually cold on the plane
Of course you want to be comfortable, but in saying that I think a lot of people have been no idea what is appropriate for any occasion.
Was at a wedding, the invitation said cocktail, but there was a couple there in dirty jeans and shirts and thongs.
Least they could have done was wash them.

View attachment 29980

Key Takeaways

In my expert opinion as a pervert, she was wearing way too much clothing, beautiful Ladies can wear whatever they want, most people don't care. What about girls over three hundred pounds wearing bike shorts with bare midriff?

View attachment 29980

Key Takeaways

I am a 71 year old woman and I think the young lady looks lovely, she’s adequately covered in every area as not to offend anyone. To me the airline should apologise to her for their rudeness and compensate her with an appropriate return flight.

I am a 71 year old woman and I think the young lady looks lovely, she’s adequately covered in every area as not to offend anyone. To me the airline should apologise to her for their rudeness and compensate her with an appropriate return flight.
But if it were Me, I wouldn't want to fly that airline again, airline personnel are on a power trip ever since they were given "extra powers" caused by 911.

When does the year 3023 got to do with how you dress. People lounge on flights and the less you wear the more hangs out. Wearing gym clothes on a plain is just attention seeking so a nice pair of comfy pants and a pretty t-shirt would have been more appropriate.
I agree. Totally attention serking.And you know what.? By her bringing up this situation, she GOT exactly what she wanted.🙄

I agree. Totally attention serking.And you know what.? By her bringing up this situation, she GOT exactly what she wanted.🙄
I think she looked fine, she was covered and quite attractive, I would have been more offended by a fatty with a muffin top that makes Lard Lad look like a catwalk model.