Outrageous or Overdue? This Aussie State May Ban the Word 'Boomer'

In a move that has sparked conversation across generations, the Western Australian government is considering a ban on generational labels such as 'boomer' and 'millennial'. This initiative is part of a broader campaign to address ageism and promote inclusivity within the community.

The 'Challenge Your Bias' project, introduced by the Cook Labor government, aims to dismantle the barriers that these terms can create between age groups. The government believes that such labels foster conflict and tension rather than understanding and respect.

1728528790385.png
Terms like 'boomer' and 'millennial' are being considered for a ban by the Western Australian government, citing generational division. Credit: Shutterstock

The campaign, backed by a $400,000 two-year education plan, is set to 'raise awareness of ageism, and its impacts on a person', as stated on the campaign's website produced by the Department of Communities. The guide booklet accompanying the project, titled 'A Guide to Inclusive Language and Images', argues that generational terms are not only unscientific but also contribute to negative stereotyping.

The booklet goes on to explain that these stereotypes strip away the individuality of people, lumping them into singular, homogenous groups. It's a sentiment that resonates with many who have felt pigeonholed or misunderstood due to broad generalizations about their age group.

In addition to generational terms, the guide advises against using words such as ‘facility’, ‘institution’, ‘nursing home’, or ‘old people’s home’ when referring to the living environments of older individuals. The guide suggests that these terms carry connotations that reduce these spaces to clinical or forgotten places. Instead, terms like ‘aged care home’, ‘residential aged care’, and ‘assisted home living’ are recommended for their respectful depiction of older people's living arrangements.

WA Seniors and Ageing Minister Don Punch has been vocal about the guide's intentions, emphasising the need for a shift in how ageing and older people are portrayed in the media, organisations, and everyday life. With older individuals projected to make up a quarter of Western Australia's population by 2071, the minister highlights the importance of being mindful of ageist attitudes and language.

The guide acknowledges that many people may have inadvertently used ageist terms in the past and encourages learning from these instances. It emphasises that ageism can be both covert and widespread, making campaigns like this crucial for raising awareness and prompting change.

The proposal has certainly stirred up debate. Some view the potential ban as an overdue step towards fostering a more inclusive society, while others see it as an excessive measure that could impinge on freedom of speech. The conversation around the use of generational labels is not new, but this bold move by the Western Australian government has brought it to the forefront.

As we at the Seniors Discount Club reflect on this development, we invite our members to consider the implications of such a ban. Is it a step in the right direction for creating a more respectful and united community, or does it risk going too far in policing language? How do these labels affect you personally, and do you think their removal could change the way we interact across age groups?

Key Takeaways
  • The Western Australian government is considering banning terms like 'boomer' and 'millennial', claiming they create generational division.
  • As part of the 'Challenge Your Bias' campaign, a guide advises against age-related generalisations and stereotypes.
  • A booklet the government provides also recommends using respectful language when discussing aged care facilities and older persons' living arrangements.
  • WA Seniors and Ageing Minister Don Punch emphasises the need to change perceptions and language surrounding ageing and older individuals to influence attitudes positively.
We encourage you to share your thoughts and experiences with us. Whether you've felt the sting of a generational stereotype or believe these terms are harmless descriptors, your perspective is valuable. Let's engage in a thoughtful discussion about what it means to truly respect and understand one another, regardless of the year we were born.

Sponsored
Ban the following words:-

RELIGION
CHURCH
MOSQUE
GOD
JESUS
MOHAMMED

These words have caused more problems in the world than all natural disasters combined in the history of mankind!
Hey, Veggie, we need to dump Mosque & Mohammed for sure plus some of these way out religions that abound that don't fit into mainstream.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
We are all human no matter what age. Being a Boomer it's does not worry me at all. I think people get a bit carried away with political correctness. If we could all just respect each other regardless of our ages.
I don't know who came up with all the names for each generation, but maybe it is not such a good thing to have labels.
Kind regards to all Vicki

I've just had the following letter published in the West Australian 'letters' page...
Proud to be a Boomer
In answer to Seniors and Ageing Minister, Don Punch.
I am 74, and proud to be called a Baby Boomer.
I do have trouble with 'new technologies', just ask my kids !, and I could also be described as 'over the hill', (but I'm not 'down and out' yet!)
I belong to a group called the MOFS ( Mandurah Old Farts ), and don't find this name offensive, because we Are ! ( Old Farts )
Have we really become so politically correct, that the WA Government needs to print a booklet on how us Old Farts 'should' be addressed.?
A ROSE🌹BY ANY OTHER NAME...
STILL HAS THORNS...!

We are all human no matter what age. Being a Boomer it's does not worry me at all. I think people get a bit carried away with political correctness. If we could all just respect each other regardless of our ages.
I don't know who came up with all the names for each generation, but maybe it is not such a good thing to have labels.
Kind regards to all Vicki
A label is an identity.... I like that...

Strewth I'm proud to be a boomer. Take the $400,000 and use it to help those struggling people.

Next they will want to remove our words like snags, barbie and crickey.

Leave our language alone your being very un Australian

Last edited:
Reactions: BellaB18
Strewth !! Take away the Aussie language, only someone from another country would say that.
It's like marriage isn't it? The perfect person needs changing the minute the papers are signed. Whether by choice or curcumstance, people came here and stayed. Are they really offended by our language? Politicians and other unoccupied minds, stop changing the best country, and yes, the best, friendliest nation.

Reactions: novezar
These people need to toughen up and stop being so precious about these descriptors. The "woke" population are destroying what has always been seen as Australian language; they want to destroy all semblance of our Aussie culture.
Personally
I hate the term “Karen”. Age is an honour. We do not get old by being stupid.

Reactions: novezar