Outrageous café fail: How this $15 avo toast turned into a 'basic' bread disaster!

When we think of a leisurely brunch, images of perfectly toasted sourdough, a generous spread of creamy avocado, and perhaps a sprinkle of feta and a dash of lemon come to mind.

It's a simple pleasure people enjoy with a cuppa, whether at a local café or in the comfort of our home.

However, what happens when this brunch staple fails to meet expectations, especially with a hefty price tag?

This was the unfortunate experience of a customer at Queensland's Hervey Bay Boat Club, who felt more than a little short-changed after ordering a 'smashed avocado served on toasted sourdough'.

The diner, expecting a gourmet treat, was instead given a disappointing meal: two slices of white toast, accompanied by a small serving of avocado and a slice of lemon, for the princely sum of $14.90.

For non-boat club members, the same meal costs a hefty $16.90.

compressed-avo toast.jpeg
Hervey Bay Boat Club received criticisms on social media after an unsatisfied customer posted their $14.90 avocado on toast brunch. Image Credit: Facebook

'Wow…Avocado on toast for $14.90,' the customer said. 'I have never seen such a basic version at any other café.'

The photo sparked social media outrage, as people expressed disbelief and disappointment over the café prices.

One diner even recounted their experience where they paid $38 for an unsatisfying 'bit of meat on mash'.

'Pretty poor, just gouging there,' one person wrote.

'They should be ashamed to charge those prices, let alone serve something so pathetic,' another said.

A loaf of bread can be bought from a supermarket for around $2.40, and avocados retail for around $1.20 each.

The contrast in value left many diners questioning whether they are paying too much for their café experiences.

Roberta Crouch, a Retail Expert from the University of the Sunshine Coast, weighed in on the matter, acknowledging customers' and business owners' concerns.

'The cost around that avocado on toast is not just for the avocado on toast. It's the rent, it's the rates and taxes, it's the electricity, it's their insurance, and it's their wages,' she shared.

However, Crouch also pointed out that transparency is key.

'People just like to know where the $16.90 is going, and I think small businesses, especially little restaurants and sole traders. They're making tough decisions these days based on what they think their revenue would be versus what they might have to charge,' she added.

She advises consumers to 'vote with their feet' and demand quality for what they're paying for.

In a similar story, a popular cafe in Melbourne sparked controversy with its high menu prices, including a $27.50 sliced avocado on toast.

The story came amidst a surge in inflation across Australia, with data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics revealing an annual rate of 5.2 per cent last August.

As of writing, The Hervey Bay Boat Club has yet to respond to the matter.

The incident serves as a reminder to consumers: while some are willing to pay for convenience and the experience of dining out, there are limits to what constitutes fair pricing and acceptable quality.
Key Takeaways

• A customer expressed dissatisfaction online after receiving an avocado on toast that did not meet expectations despite the price.
  • The photo shared online shows a basic dish and prompted criticism from other social media users regarding the price and quality.
  • The café has different pricing for members and non-members, with the dish costing non-members $16.90.
  • A retail expert acknowledged customers' rights to expect quality for their money but pointed out that café owners face financial pressures due to rising operation costs.
Have you ever experienced a similar brunch blunder? Have you felt you've paid too much for what you've received? Share your stories and thoughts with us in the comments section below.

Sponsored
I buy the odd bunch of avocados from Woolies once a month and they cost $5 and the last lot I received had 7 in the bag. Once they ripen I put them in the fridge and they last for a few weeks. Then when I feel like avocado on toast they're there. There's no way I'd go out and have this in a cafe .