Outrageous $178 act leaves ALDI shoppers up in arms: 'Shame on this guy’

Self-serve checkouts are becoming increasingly common across Aussie supermarkets.

But as the technology becomes more accessible, so do the opportunities for unscrupulous customers seeking a free shop.

Such was the case with a shopper recently, sparking fury among other ALDI customers who thought this customer's 'shameful' actions had gone too far.

One shopper revealed on social media the astonishing act she witnessed at her local supermarket.

She said that after the customer had finished shopping for $178 worth of groceries at the self-serve checkout, he walked away without paying for them.

compressed-Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 7.55.35 AM.jpeg
A shopper shared the act of another shopper on social media. Credit: Reddit

She explained that the ALDI manager on duty wasn't even aware of what had happened.

'We went to our local ALDI yesterday when we went to self-service checkout, we noticed the amount of $178 was still on machine', she wrote in her post.

'When I approached the manager, she said it had been paid for, but in fact, the gentleman was packing his unpaid shopping in his car.'

‘And people wonder why the price of food is going up to many people stealing.’

She spotted the same customer in the car park.

She said, ‘We heard him packing it in his car as he was on the phone.’

She added that he was ‘bragging’ about what he did and ‘loudly’ said ‘how easy it was to do this’.

‘Whoever he was talking [to] about it just said how easy it is to steal your fortnight shopping from ALDI,’ she said.

‘And whoever he was talking to [said] keep your voice down. Then he whispers call you back soon.’

‘I wanted to go and say something, but my hubby said don’t worry,’ she added.

Other users criticised the customer’s actions and didn’t hold back in expressing their displeasure.

'No excuse for stealing at all. Everyone is feeling the cost of supermarket prices. Shame on this guy!' one wrote.

'You are lovely. Gentleman is not the word I would have used to describe him,’ another added.

For the past two years, ALDI has rolled out self-serve checkouts and introduced security cameras in almost all of its stores across the country. However, it does not have the AI theft prevention technology or security gates that Woolworths and Coles have.

Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 8.49.49 AM.png
The shopper told how the man ‘bragged’ about this act. Credit: Facebook

Other self-serve checkouts in their local stores didn’t have staff monitoring the registers, according to some ALDI shoppers.

‘Our [local store] has [self-serve checkout] too, but no one to help when it won’t work properly, which happens a lot,’ one wrote.

‘It’s manned by the checkout person, so if they’re busy, you just need to wait if something goes wrong,’ another said.

In response, ALDI said that self-serve checkout areas are usually also manned by staff to help customers with any problems.

‘The rollout of self-serve checkouts will require store employees to support and monitor customers use of self-checkouts and assist with any issues,’ ALDI said in its press release.

It added that they do have measures in place to combat illegal activity.

‘We have CCTV in place across all our stores as a security measure to ensure the safety of our customers and employees and also to monitor for theft,’ they said.

‘Any illegal activity, including theft, is acted on.’

In a previous story, a Marks and Spencer boss raised concerns that self-serve checkouts encourage a surge in ‘middle class’ shoplifting. He even suggested that self-serve checkouts contribute to the ‘global problem’ of shoplifting. Read more about the story here.

Key Takeaways
  • An ALDI customer has been criticised for allegedly stealing $178 worth of groceries.
  • The act was revealed by another shopper who overheard the man bragging about not paying for his items in the car park.
  • Social media users were quick to condemn the behaviour, with many blaming such actions for the increased cost of groceries.
  • An ALDI spokesperson has reaffirmed that the supermarket has security measures in place, including CCTV and staff monitoring self-serve checkouts to prevent theft.
Members, what do you think of self-serve checkouts? Is it effective in keeping short queues upon checkout? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
If the self serve was 'unattended' (which I've never seen being the case at any Aldi self serve) why would he bother scanning, why would he not just walk out & save time? Would then free up the checkout for customers. 1701124460950.png

Self-serve checkouts are becoming increasingly common across Aussie supermarkets.

But as the technology becomes more accessible, so do the opportunities for unscrupulous customers seeking a free shop.

Such was the case with a shopper recently, sparking fury among other ALDI customers who thought this customer's 'shameful' actions had gone too far.

One shopper revealed on social media the astonishing act she witnessed at her local supermarket.

She said that after the customer had finished shopping for $178 worth of groceries at the self-serve checkout, he walked away without paying for them.

View attachment 35815

She explained that the ALDI manager on duty wasn't even aware of what had happened.

'We went to our local ALDI yesterday when we went to self-service checkout, we noticed the amount of $178 was still on machine', she wrote in her post.

'When I approached the manager, she said it had been paid for, but in fact, the gentleman was packing his unpaid shopping in his car.'

She added that he was ‘bragging’ about what he did and ‘loudly’ said ‘how easy it was to do this’.

‘Whoever he was talking [to] about it just said how easy it is to steal your fortnight shopping from ALDI,’ she said.

‘And whoever he was talking to [said] keep your voice down. Then he whispers call you back soon.’

Other users criticised the customer’s actions and didn’t hold back in expressing their displeasure.

'No excuse for stealing at all. Everyone is feeling the cost of supermarket prices. Shame on this guy!' one wrote.

'You are lovely. Gentleman is not the word I would have used to describe him,’ another added.

For the past two years, ALDI has rolled out self-serve checkouts and introduced security cameras in almost all of its stores across the country. However, it does not have the AI theft prevention technology or security gates that Woolworths and Coles have.

View attachment 35814

Other self-serve checkouts in their local stores didn’t have staff monitoring the registers, according to some ALDI shoppers.

‘Our [local store] has [self-serve checkout] too, but no one to help when it won’t work properly, which happens a lot,’ one wrote.

‘It’s manned by the checkout person, so if they’re busy, you just need to wait if something goes wrong,’ another said.

In response, ALDI said that self-serve checkout areas are usually also manned by staff to help customers with any problems.

‘The rollout of self-serve checkouts will require store employees to support and monitor customers use of self-checkouts and assist with any issues,’ ALDI said in its press release.

‘We have CCTV in place across all our stores as a security measure to ensure the safety of our customers and employees and also to monitor for theft,’ they said.

In a previous story, a Marks and Spencer boss raised concerns that self-serve checkouts encourage a surge in ‘middle class’ shoplifting. He even suggested that self-serve checkouts contribute to the ‘global problem’ of shoplifting. Read more about the story here.

Key Takeaways

• An ALDI customer has been criticised for allegedly stealing $178 worth of groceries.
  • The act was revealed by another shopper who overheard the man bragging about not paying for his items in the car park.
  • Social media users were quick to condemn the behaviour, with many blaming such actions for the increased cost of groceries.
  • An ALDI spokesperson has reaffirmed that the supermarket has security measures in place, including CCTV and staff monitoring self-serve checkouts to prevent theft.
Members, what do you think of self-serve checkouts? Is it effective in keeping short queues upon checkout? Let us know in the comments below!
why are people gutless in challenging a thief?

Reactions: TheBear

View attachment 35815

View attachment 35814

Key Takeaways

I personally don’t use self serve checkouts. I find them impersonable. They are so cold. I like to interact with a human being. Self serve checkouts are open to all kinds of theft. That man should have been ashamed of himself. I believe in karma.

View attachment 35815

View attachment 35814

Key Takeaways

I myself hate them. It encourages theft and denies jobs to others.

I hate self serve and refuse to use them. My sister always makes a point of using them everywhere. The other day in Target she bought an item that had a security tag on so had to be returned to the store to be removed. I did mention to her that while I was getting served by a real person two other customers came back to the manned checkout to have security tags removed from their purchase. What is the point of self serve if you have to go back and see an assistant. That’s not really saving time is it.

I don't like self serve because I always have problems when I use them. Comes up with those messages that tell you to call an attendant. I'd be better off asking a staff member to be my shopping buddy.
Whilst I don't like what the customer did, I have to ask the retailers the question...what do they expect? They created the monster and people are finding ways to get around it. Better to go back to served checkouts and express lanes. People are nicer to deal with than machines.

I can understand having self serve if it is quicker for the shopper at times......but if you get held up waiting for an attendant to help you then its rather pointless....and yes they open themselves up to the chance of more shoppers stealing goods, which in turn makes shopping dearer for the rest. Once upon a time it was thought that PATIENCE was a virtue.....sadly those days are now gone. 🤔😒😉

For increasingly growing numbers of people and across all age groups…..Honesty is a quality that has become very hard to find….. it’s really sad when a person steals something and then brags about it as if he’s done something extremely clever…….

Reactions: magpie1
why are people gutless in challenging a thief?
Were you there at the time & saw the thief yourself? Was he a young or old person? How old was the person who witnessed the incident? Was there a possibility the thief had something in the boot that could be used to lay you out?

Until this happens to you, HOW DO YOU KNOW HOW YOU SHOULD REACT?

SOMETIMES DISCRETION IS THE GREATER PART OF VALOUR.

Reactions: magpie1
Maybe the poor buggar just forgot to scan his card, but nobody asked him.
I don't think so, he was heard bragging about it. Or did this person actually make this story up
She actually said she heard the person on the other end of the phone tell this guy not to speak so loud
Bit hard to believe that you could hear this in a carpark. Did this thief have his speaker on???

Forgot to pay on purpose.

To be talking on a mobile with the speaker on about his recent theft is plain arrogance.

No wonder he was told to keep his voice down. I wonder if there are grounds for a citizen's arrest here?