Outrageous! $1 for a single sauce packet has customers fuming

It's no secret that the cost of living in Australia is higher than ever – and a recent surprise from a Sydney business just goes to show how much we're feeling the pressure.

Recently, a shopper in Western Sydney was shocked to discover that a certain store was charging an absurd fee for single-serve packet sauce from the Masterfoods range.

Sharing a picture on Reddit, the purchaser highlighted the unreasonable cost of $1 for a mere squeeze-on sachet of Barbeque or Tomato sauce.

'Inflation in the wild in Western Sydney', the customer wrote on their post.

Things have certainly taken an unexpected turn as outrage has been boiling amongst customers, with some users calling for the business to be 'named and shamed'.

One person wrote: 'I wouldn’t want to buy their food – this is blatant money grabbing.'

'Respectfully tell them to get f***ed. The sauce is free with pies in servos, I would be purchasing your food elsewhere.'

759a47879217f4a6b7538edd5c3e0f7d

A mystery business has been charging $1 for a packet of sauce. Credit: Reddit.

Others went as far as to label the price tag as 'stupid', with some pointing out that the move was blatantly 'un-Australian'.

'I was just at a bakery at Westfield. The cashier asked me if I wanted sauce. I thought it was free and said yes and she just charged me $1,' one user shared.

Despite the backlash, some people jumped to the business' defence, arguing that the way the government treats small businesses made the price increase unavoidable.

One comment read: 'No, what’s unaustralian is the way the government treats small business, wages, taxes and rental prices, making all these nearly impossible to run without these kinds of mark-ups.'

'Just walk away, no use complaining to the 16-year-old girl working there for minimum wage.'

Unfortunately, the elevated and rising prices seen at the Sydney business may be the result of increasingly scarce supplies that have driven up the cost of goods.

This is an effect being felt all around the country as the Australian Bureau of Statistic’s consumer price index inflation reached 7.3 per cent in September 2022—its highest in more than three decades.

Goods accounted for more than three-quarters of this rise over the past year, due to a range of supply constraints, prolonged demand and increased freight costs.

Signs of this are abundant; reports of loo rolls and canned goods shortages have been reported nationwide, while a range of pet foods are currently on backorder due to supply issues.

This ongoing issue is caused by global pandemic-related disruptions, such as factory closures, production delays, and unavailability of raw materials and components. The situation is likely to persist for some time.

Consumers are, of course, adjusting their spending habits according to inflation trends. In recent months, savvy shoppers have become increasingly determined to get the most out of their hard-earned money.

This stretches far beyond seeking discounts and bargain-hunting; Aussie shoppers are increasingly looking for value in the form of quality items, focusing on investing in products that will last them longer and reduce the need to keep replacing and repurchasing.

Others, meanwhile, are turning to more extreme measures. Faced with hefty price increases for everyday items, some households are cutting out unnecessary expenditures altogether, opting instead to bring lunch from home, stay closer to home for entertainment and vacations, or simply refuse to buy items that have become too pricey.

Key Takeaways
  • A mystery business in Western Sydney is charging $1 for Masterfoods Barbeque and Tomato sauce squeeze-on sachets.
  • Australians were outraged over the prices and called for the business to be “named and shamed”.
  • Other Australians defended the business, blaming the government’s treatment of small businesses for the price hike.
  • The Australian Bureau of Statistic’s consumer price index inflation reached a three-decade high of 7.3 per cent in September 2022.

Members, this story serves as a reminder of how the rising cost of living is being felt across Australia, where even small luxuries like sauce packets are costing us more.

We here at the Seniors Discount Club understand the issues small businesses are facing in Australia right now. However, we still encourage members to be aware of prices and make sure they're getting the best deal.

We know how hard it can be to keep a budget in place when prices are so high, so make sure you look around for discounted items.

We want to hear from you! What other factors are making you feel the pinch or are you doing just fine? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
This is a ridiculous mark up. You can buy a tray of 20 of these sachets for $4:50!

Reactions: Ricci
It's no secret that the cost of living in Australia is higher than ever – and a recent surprise from a Sydney business just goes to show how much we're feeling the pressure.

Recently, a shopper in Western Sydney was shocked to discover that a certain store was charging an absurd fee for single-serve packet sauce from the Masterfoods range.

Sharing a picture on Reddit, the purchaser highlighted the unreasonable cost of $1 for a mere squeeze-on sachet of Barbeque or Tomato sauce.

Things have certainly taken an unexpected turn as outrage has been boiling amongst customers, with some users calling for the business to be 'named and shamed'.

One person wrote: 'I wouldn’t want to buy their food – this is blatant money grabbing.'

'Respectfully tell them to get f***ed. The sauce is free with pies in servos, I would be purchasing your food elsewhere.'

Others went as far as to label the price tag as 'stupid', with some pointing out that the move was blatantly 'un-Australian'.

'I was just at a bakery at Westfield. The cashier asked me if I wanted sauce. I thought it was free and said yes and she just charged me $1,' one user shared.

Despite the backlash, some people jumped to the business' defence, arguing that the way the government treats small businesses made the price increase unavoidable.

One comment read: 'No, what’s unaustralian is the way the government treats small business, wages, taxes and rental prices, making all these nearly impossible to run without these kinds of mark-ups.'

'Just walk away, no use complaining to the 16-year-old girl working there for minimum wage.'

Unfortunately, the elevated and rising prices seen at the Sydney business may be the result of increasingly scarce supplies that have driven up the cost of goods.

This is an effect being felt all around the country as the Australian Bureau of Statistic’s consumer price index inflation reached 7.3 per cent in September 2022—its highest in more than three decades.

Goods accounted for more than three-quarters of this rise over the past year, due to a range of supply constraints, prolonged demand and increased freight costs.

Signs of this are abundant; reports of loo rolls and canned goods shortages have been reported nationwide, while a range of pet foods are currently on backorder due to supply issues.

This ongoing issue is caused by global pandemic-related disruptions, such as factory closures, production delays, and unavailability of raw materials and components. The situation is likely to persist for some time.

Consumers are, of course, adjusting their spending habits according to inflation trends. In recent months, savvy shoppers have become increasingly determined to get the most out of their hard-earned money.

This stretches far beyond seeking discounts and bargain-hunting; Aussie shoppers are increasingly looking for value in the form of quality items, focusing on investing in products that will last them longer and reduce the need to keep replacing and repurchasing.

Others, meanwhile, are turning to more extreme measures. Faced with hefty price increases for everyday items, some households are cutting out unnecessary expenditures altogether, opting instead to bring lunch from home, stay closer to home for entertainment and vacations, or simply refuse to buy items that have become too pricey.

Key Takeaways

• A mystery business in Western Sydney is charging $1 for Masterfoods Barbeque and Tomato sauce squeeze-on sachets.
  • Australians were outraged over the prices and called for the business to be “named and shamed”.
  • Other Australians defended the business, blaming the government’s treatment of small businesses for the price hike.
  • The Australian Bureau of Statistic’s consumer price index inflation reached a three-decade high of 7.3 per cent in September 2022.

Members, this story serves as a reminder of how the rising cost of living is being felt across Australia, where even small luxuries like sauce packets are costing us more.

We here at the Seniors Discount Club understand the issues small businesses are facing in Australia right now. However, we still encourage members to be aware of prices and make sure they're getting the best deal.

We know how hard it can be to keep a budget in place when prices are so high, so make sure you look around for discounted items.

We want to hear from you! What other factors are making you feel the pinch or are you doing just fine? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

It's no use the small businesses complaining about customer complaints for charging for sauce if they're not careful they won't have a business people will stop going then they will have to shut down

If a lot of these items were STILL MADE in Australia we wouldn't have some of these supply problems. Also, it is not the fault of small businesses it all belongs to past and current governments who only look after their mates, be they in Australia or overseas. Local manufacturing is a lost cause now as we rely on overseas for all our requirements. We are no longer the LUCKY COUNTRY we lost that title in the 70's.

Reactions: maggiej
I thought I would investigate the approximate price to purchase these and you can get 100 packs of these from Amazon.com.au for $29.00. They are the double packs of 14 grams each. Exact same ones. This shop would be purchasing them wholesale, so the $1.00 for one is an extremely hefty price. If they were 50 cents, that would be ok. The $1.00 is extreme and I bet that customers ignore them. Kogan sell 100 for $22.00 and this is retail price.

Key Takeaways

Frankie’s at Flowerpower Terrey Hills charged $1 for peanut butter for the grandkids toast. . then added a surcharge for the weekend and another to use a credit card. also wanted a tip!

Well they missed out on a lot of future custom from us and our friends. We just don’t go there, preferring Tastebuds.

I've told my wife @suzannerose for years to take a bottle of sauce with us when going for those pies.
I need two squeeze sauces per pie that's an additional 80c so why not pack a bottle of sauce when we know we are going to buy pies.

I thought I would investigate the approximate price to purchase these and you can get 100 packs of these from Amazon.com.au for $29.00. They are the double packs of 14 grams each. Exact same ones. This shop would be purchasing them wholesale, so the $1.00 for one is an extremely hefty price. If they were 50 cents, that would be ok. The $1.00 is extreme and I bet that customers ignore them. Kogan sell 100 for $22.00 and this is retail price.
If you think that profit margin is outrageous think of a cup of coffee. Cost ingredients 25c. Labour, rent, , power etc about $1.50. Charge upwards of $7. Alcohol bottle of spirits $25. Serves 32 standard drinks @ $8-10.