Outraged mother speaks out after school shows graphic video during sex education class

While we believe that sex education should be taught in schools, when is the right time for children to learn about the birds and the bees?

A mother has spoken out in outrage after her eight-year-old daughter was shown a graphic video on masturbation and wet dreams as part of a sex education lesson.

Students in Year 4 at Coleshill Primary School were shown a 3-minute video about male puberty. Images of a rocket and volcano erupting were used to illustrate what erections are and to explain ejaculation, and it also showed a cartoon of a boy waking up after having a wet dream.

The mum explained that her young daughter was so distressed after seeing the video to the point that she begged her mum not to be shown the video again.

birds.jpg
How young is too young to learn about the birds and the bees? Credit: August de Richelieu/Pexels

The mum, who wanted to remain anonymous, told reporters: ‘I am very angry about this because I don’t want my eight-year-old daughter being taught about masturbation and wet dreams. It is far too young.’

‘My daughter said to me, “Mummy, why do boys have wet dreams?” She was really upset,’ she added.

The mum also revealed that her daughter ‘didn’t want to learn about it’.

The mother said she was stunned and wasn’t sure how to answer her child’s questions. ‘It is disgusting that this is taught in Year 4,’ she claimed.

She revealed to reporters that when she watched the video (called ‘Top signs boys are in puberty’) she was shocked at the language and adult content, with words such as ‘sexual desires’ and ‘masturbation’ popping up. You can watch the full clip below:

Unsure whether it was just her overreacting, the mum spoke to other parents who felt the same way. ‘The dads were the angriest of all,’ she explained.

The mum contacted the head teacher at the school, and while they agreed not to show the video anymore, they told her that sex education will still be taught to Year 4 students.

‘The head [teacher] reluctantly accepted the video was inappropriate but said I couldn’t opt out of my daughter attending the lesson after the Government made it compulsory in September 2021. It is disgusting and sexualising our children,’ she told reporters.

She added that if the roles were reversed, where a child told their teachers that their parents had been saying they were having wet dreams and such, ‘alarm bells would ring and social services would be involved’.

‘The school has no right to teach our children this at such a young age because they have no idea how it is going to affect them.’
Key Takeaways

• An angry mum slams a primary school for teaching her 8-year-old daughter about masturbation and wet dreams.
  • The mother said her young daughter was distressed after teachers showed a three-minute video of a cartoon rocket launching and a volcano erupting, illustrating an erection and ejaculation.
  • The school has agreed not to show the video again but will continue to teach Year 4 students about puberty, which is part of compulsory sex education.
Do you think the mum was overreacting or did she do the right thing? Share with us your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored
Sex education is vital.
What better way does the mother suggest her child be taught?
8 might sound young, but my kid began menstruating when she was 10.
Children need to be prepared and helped to understand that this is part of growing up. This is part of the changes their bodies will go through. It happens to everyone and it is neither shameful nor disgusting. I think the mother needs to attend a sex education class.
It's up to a mother to talk with her daughter and a father with their son.

An 8 year old girl doesn't need to know about a boy having wet dreams.

I have 8 girls and the youngest was 11 when she started menstruation the rest 12 except one at 13.
I explained to them at around 9 what to expect and they carried something in their bag incase.

I agree on sex education but it has to be done differently for each age group

Probably the latter. I could show you that this grooming of children goes all the way to the top. Former Australian Senator Bill Heffernan made a speech in parliament about it and spoke of 28 high profile people that are pedophiles. I can post the link if we are allowed to do that on this forum.
I’d be interested in the link

While we believe that sex education should be taught in schools, when is the right time for children to learn about the birds and the bees?

A mother has spoken out in outrage after her eight-year-old daughter was shown a graphic video on masturbation and wet dreams as part of a sex education lesson.

Students in Year 4 at Coleshill Primary School were shown a 3-minute video about male puberty. Images of a rocket and volcano erupting were used to illustrate what erections are and to explain ejaculation, and it also showed a cartoon of a boy waking up after having a wet dream.

The mum explained that her young daughter was so distressed after seeing the video to the point that she begged her mum not to be shown the video again.

View attachment 9874
How young is too young to learn about the birds and the bees? Credit: August de Richelieu/Pexels

The mum, who wanted to remain anonymous, told reporters: ‘I am very angry about this because I don’t want my eight-year-old daughter being taught about masturbation and wet dreams. It is far too young.’

‘My daughter said to me, “Mummy, why do boys have wet dreams?” She was really upset,’ she added.

The mother said she was stunned and wasn’t sure how to answer her child’s questions. ‘It is disgusting that this is taught in Year 4,’ she claimed.

She revealed to reporters that when she watched the video (called ‘Top signs boys are in puberty’) she was shocked at the language and adult content, with words such as ‘sexual desires’ and ‘masturbation’ popping up. You can watch the full clip below:

Unsure whether it was just her overreacting, the mum spoke to other parents who felt the same way. ‘The dads were the angriest of all,’ she explained.

The mum contacted the head teacher at the school, and while they agreed not to show the video anymore, they told her that sex education will still be taught to Year 4 students.

‘The head [teacher] reluctantly accepted the video was inappropriate but said I couldn’t opt out of my daughter attending the lesson after the Government made it compulsory in September 2021. It is disgusting and sexualising our children,’ she told reporters.

She added that if the roles were reversed, where a child told their teachers that their parents had been saying they were having wet dreams and such, ‘alarm bells would ring and social services would be involved’.

‘The school has no right to teach our children this at such a young age because they have no idea how it is going to affect them.’
Key Takeaways

• An angry mum slams a primary school for teaching her 8-year-old daughter about masturbation and wet dreams.
  • The mother said her young daughter was distressed after teachers showed a three-minute video of a cartoon rocket launching and a volcano erupting, illustrating an erection and ejaculation.
  • The school has agreed not to show the video again but will continue to teach Year 4 students about puberty, which is part of compulsory sex education.
Do you think the mum was overreacting or did she do the right thing? Share with us your thoughts in the comments!

sex education needs to happen but at what age.... either in the classroom or in the school yard or behind the back shed, which maybe better ??????

Parents are the ones who know their children better, so in my opinion, it’s up to them to teach all about sex education at the right time, at the proper age. Kids today are exposed to so much, that’s why they are so adult minded. Let children be children, be naive until a certain age, they have time to grow up. I taught my children gradually in a proper way.
Schools have no right to do the work of a parent. They are there to learn what’s needed to prepare them to life in an academic way for the work force, nothing else.

View attachment 9874

Key Takeaways

I think this video might be shown to age 10 or 11 year olds.8 years is way too young. No way. And where is the education for girls in this video. I got my period at 10 & had no idea what was happening! Some parents think their children will learn by osmosis.