Outraged customers slam Kmart's new 'insulting' checkout system

There’s no denying that many of us have been comfortable with shopping from the comfort of our homes.

With many of us doing our shopping online during the pandemic, heading back to the store for the odd item or two can be a bit of a slog.

You stock up on everything you need and you can’t wait to get out and take a break.

But just as you're about to leave, you’re suddenly asked to show your receipt and open your bag for inspection…

Well, at least that’s a scene Kmart shoppers are all too familiar with, especially since the retailer added this to its store policy, much to the dismay of shoppers.

21740838-7749385-image-a-64_1575342793158.jpg
Kmart’s new checkout policy irked many shoppers. Credit: Shutterstock.

This new checkout process means that customers are made to go through a bit of an annoying inspection line before they can leave the confines of the store.

Many shoppers were quick to take to social media to express their disappointment and annoyance at the unnecessary addition to their already tiring shopping process.

In particular, one woman recalled her experience at a Kmart store and said that she was 'forced to queue up in a second line' just to make it out of the store’s entrance.

Mental health advocate Laura Strehlau was one of the first to take to Twitter and share her anger, arguing that Kmart needed to 'trust people' if it was going to go down that route.

'Our local (Kmart) store has started scanning barcodes at the front and you have to queue to leave after you’ve just queued to serve yourself,' she tweeted.

The post triggered a wave of complaints on Twitter, with many fed-up customers sharing their stories to echo Ms Strehlau’s experiences.

One person pointed out: ‘It’s everywhere. All over NSW as well.’

‘It will last a while; they aren’t going to spend all that money reconfiguring the stores just to change them back in the short term.’

On top of the time wastage, customers said that the extra process was ‘insulting, demeaning and was treating customers like an enemy’.

Kmart is not the only big brand to implement receipt-scanning when leaving the store, with hardware giant Bunnings imposing a similar rule for some time now.

One person who is a relative of a Bunnings employee took to a forum to share why this 'annoying' procedure exists.

They explained: ‘My husband works for Bunnings, theft is a huge problem.’

'The reason they stamp the receipts is to stop people from buying items, putting them in the car and returning (with the) receipt in hand and then picking up the same items again.'

'My husband often works on the gate, he checks the vehicles as they leave. He could write a book on what some (people) get up to.'

It’s certainly a polarising issue that has sparked quite a heated discussion online. On one hand, it’s understandable that Kmart is interested in preventing theft - after all, it’s no small issue and can cost big businesses big bucks.

But we can also understand why many customers are unwilling to wait in an extra queue just to prove they’ve paid.

‘They can do what they like but it’s ridiculous and last time I checked customers are the people that generate business,’ Ms Strehlau commented in response to a critic who backed the retailer’s right to examine customers' receipts.

‘In a cost of living crisis it’s best they try and keep those customers.’

This is not the first time Kmart has come under fire for this issue. We previously covered a story where shoppers made fun of the system on TikTok, with many voicing out their annoyance over the fact that the store layout made checking out complicated and awkward.

A Kmart representative previously confirmed that no matter how shoppers made their purchases, a bag check was a requirement for leaving store premises.

The spokesperson said: ‘Like many retailers, it is a condition of entry across all our stores that if requested, customers present any bags and receipt for checking before leaving the store.’

‘This is a standard procedure that occurs regardless of how a customer makes their purchase, whether it be from our service desk, self-service check-outs or if they have been assisted by a team member.’

Key Takeaways

• Customers are outraged over Kmart's new store procedure, which forces them to queue up in a second line to exit the store.
  • The post quickly struck a chord online, with many sharing their own experiences.
  • Bunnings is another big brand that scans customers' receipts upon exiting.
  • Kmart has defended the system, saying it is a condition of entry across all its stores.

What’s your opinion on this issue? Have you been affected by this new system? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Just about all businesses expect you to show yor bag on exiting the store and I have no issue with that. I believe showing the reciept for your purchases is, as someone else said, because the checkouts are in the middle of the store and this is Kmart's bad shop design inconveniencing customers more so on exiting.

Reactions: Leoni
There’s no denying that many of us have been comfortable with shopping from the comfort of our homes.

With many of us doing our shopping online during the pandemic, heading back to the store for the odd item or two can be a bit of a slog.

You stock up on everything you need and you can’t wait to get out and take a break.

But just as you're about to leave, you’re suddenly asked to show your receipt and open your bag for inspection…

Well, at least that’s a scene Kmart shoppers are all too familiar with, especially since the retailer added this to its store policy, much to the dismay of shoppers.

View attachment 14099

This new checkout process means that customers are made to go through a bit of an annoying inspection line before they can leave the confines of the store.

Many shoppers were quick to take to social media to express their disappointment and annoyance at the unnecessary addition to their already tiring shopping process.

In particular, one woman recalled her experience at a Kmart store and said that she was 'forced to queue up in a second line' just to make it out of the store’s entrance.

Mental health advocate Laura Strehlau was one of the first to take to Twitter and share her anger, arguing that Kmart needed to 'trust people' if it was going to go down that route.

'Our local (Kmart) store has started scanning barcodes at the front and you have to queue to leave after you’ve just queued to serve yourself,' she tweeted.

The post triggered a wave of complaints on Twitter, with many fed-up customers sharing their stories to echo Ms Strehlau’s experiences.

‘It will last a while; they aren’t going to spend all that money reconfiguring the stores just to change them back in the short term.’

On top of the time wastage, customers said that the extra process was ‘insulting, demeaning and was treating customers like an enemy’.

Kmart is not the only big brand to implement receipt-scanning when leaving the store, with hardware giant Bunnings imposing a similar rule for some time now.

One person who is a relative of a Bunnings employee took to a forum to share why this 'annoying' procedure exists.

'The reason they stamp the receipts is to stop people from buying items, putting them in the car and returning (with the) receipt in hand and then picking up the same items again.'

'My husband often works on the gate, he checks the vehicles as they leave. He could write a book on what some (people) get up to.'

It’s certainly a polarising issue that has sparked quite a heated discussion online. On one hand, it’s understandable that Kmart is interested in preventing theft - after all, it’s no small issue and can cost big businesses big bucks.

But we can also understand why many customers are unwilling to wait in an extra queue just to prove they’ve paid.

‘They can do what they like but it’s ridiculous and last time I checked customers are the people that generate business,’ Ms Strehlau commented in response to a critic who backed the retailer’s right to examine customers' receipts.

This is not the first time Kmart has come under fire for this issue. We previously covered a story where shoppers made fun of the system on TikTok, with many voicing out their annoyance over the fact that the store layout made checking out complicated and awkward.

A Kmart representative previously confirmed that no matter how shoppers made their purchases, a bag check was a requirement for leaving store premises.

The spokesperson said: ‘Like many retailers, it is a condition of entry across all our stores that if requested, customers present any bags and receipt for checking before leaving the store.’

‘This is a standard procedure that occurs regardless of how a customer makes their purchase, whether it be from our service desk, self-service check-outs or if they have been assisted by a team member.’

Key Takeaways

• Customers are outraged over Kmart's new store procedure, which forces them to queue up in a second line to exit the store.
  • The post quickly struck a chord online, with many sharing their own experiences.
  • Kmart has defended the system, saying it is a condition of entry across all its stores.

What’s your opinion on this issue? Have you been affected by this new system? Share your experiences in the comments below.

I have nothing to hide, so I have nothing against it at all. Unfortunately because of a few who do the wrong thing and steal instead of going to work, earn money and buy what they need, everybody else need to suffer. As I said it doesn't bother me, it is only a few more minutes of my time. If I haven't got those extra minutes, than don't go shopping, easy..... They need to do something to recoup all the money they lose from people stealing. Where are the days when you can leave your car unlocked, also your front door and you know that nobody would come in to steal your things.

It seems very odd that the Kmart layout of the majority of their registers, both self serve and manned, are located in the middle of the store… thus giving those light fingered folks an opportunity to grab a few extra things for free on the way out…. In my opinion, the checkouts should be all at the front of the store upon exiting … it would greatly simplify the shopping experience….it’s not rocket science Kmart!!
It helps to prevent congestion during busy times such as Christmas. * It's still just as easy to find even though the checkouts are no longer at the front. A Kmart spokesperson told FEMAIL that despite initial reservations the project had been a success.21 May 2019 . WHAT A CROCK !!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Leoni

View attachment 14099

Key Takeaways

When shopping at a Woolworths supermarket for groceries, why I am asked if I want a receipt. I have asked the question to the assistant as to what would happen if I went back into the store again without a receipt to purchase a forgotten item together with the goods I have already paid for. No assistant has given me answer - they just shrugged their shoulders with no comment ! Are they saving paper for a staff toilet roll ???

View attachment 14099

Key Takeaways

I don't have a problem with this process.

View attachment 14099

Key Takeaways

Big Brother tactics and control ,before you know it they be strip searching everyone like they do in some countrys.

View attachment 14099

Key Takeaways

I quite happily offer my bag up for inspection any time I leave a store. Most of the time I am just waved on. But with the addition Self Checkouts, I do not blame the stores for wanting to inspect customers bags. Shop lifting is rife.

I have no problem with having my bags check on leaving a store, what I do have a problem with is having to line up and wait, and wait, to get through the registers, and then have to line up again and wait, and wait, just so I can leave the store. Putting the registers in the middle of the store is a stupid decision, and if they want to check bags on the way out, they need to put more staff on to prevent people having to wait, and wait, before they can leave. It's ridiculous!