Outrage ignites as real estate agent rates tenants' cleaning efforts - is this fair?

We all know that landlords and tenants don't always see eye to eye. There are plenty of tales out there about landlords taking advantage of their tenants and vice versa.

But let us tell you about a recent story that takes the cake in terms of being divisive. There's an Aussie real estate agent who's causing quite a stir with what can only be described as a 'cleaning scoring system' for tenants.

What's the fuss about? Well, it turns out this agent was grading the tenant's cleaning skills during each inspection!

It all started when a renter shared their experience online, quickly catching everyone's attention. Imagine their horror when they received a scorecard from their real estate agent after a routine inspection. This scorecard had ratings for 17 different areas of their rental home.

Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 7.13.37 PM.png
An Aussie real estate agent has come under fire over their cleaning 'scoring system' for tenants. Credit: Karolina Grabowska/Pexels.

The renter was also given an overall rating out of five stars, which constituted an evaluation of their house's cleanliness. The scorecard the tenant received showed they had only achieved three and a half stars due to a single light globe that wasn't working.

'I've been renting a long time, and my deep cleaning routine is based around inspections,' the tenant explained. 'I go all out—every room in my little 3x2 villa is given a spring clean, every surface is washed including walls, doors, lights, windows, carpets etc.'

The tenant went on to explain that they usually spend a week or more prepping their house for inspection day, ensuring every job is done to a showroom-level standard and that everything is in pristine condition.

Despite the tenant having gone 'overboard' with the cleaning, the real estate agent still marked them down 'terribly' due to the kitchen's single, non-working light bulb.

'Had my latest inspection a few weeks ago and just received the report,' the renter said. 'Despite the agent commenting that she never sees houses as clean as mine, and taking 112 photos of every single thing that shows how great the condition of the house is… Having one light globe not working is so terrible that I was scored three and a half out of five.'

Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 7.13.46 PM.png
The tenant was 'demoralised' to only receive three and a half stars out of five, despite only being marked down for one thing. Credit: Reddit.

The person later discovered that the broken light globe was actually the real estate's responsibility to replace, not the tenant's.

Needless to say, the renter's story sparked a furious response from Reddit users, with many claiming this was 'ridiculously petty' and 'morally wrong'.

Others felt that tenants actually keep a home to a higher standard than owners; the Reddit user's post reminded some of the time they'd left their kitchen light out for 'years'.

Many also shared anecdotes of their own horror stories, like one user whose 'real estate agent has the gall' to comment on minor things like dirt in a sliding door track, yet there was 'actual s*** coming through the ceiling [in] the second bathroom upstairs [with] the toilet leaking for over a year'.

Key Takeaways

• A real estate agent has introduced a controversial cleaning 'scoring system' for tenants, prompting outrage.
  • A tenant shared their experience on Reddit, revealing they had been marked down and given a rating of three and a half stars out of five due to a non-functional light bulb.
  • The tenant went to great lengths for deep cleaning prior to inspections and found the scoring system to be 'demoralising'.
  • Following the post, many Reddit users responded with outrage, discussing their frustrating experiences with property inspections.

This story reminds us of the importance of making sure that the places we call home are both safe and hygienic. Whether you're a tenant or a landlord, there are simple yet significant steps to take. As a renter, it's crucial to keep your rented space well-maintained. And for landlords, treating tenants with respect, kindness, and understanding is paramount.

Members, if any of you have ever encountered a similar experience, we'd love to hear about it! Share your stories in the comments below!

Sponsored
We used to be landlords and did rely on the inspections. Not just to check on the occupant, but to make sure the property is being maintained as it should, on the part of the tenant and us as owners. Prevention is better then renovation and DIY. We were good landlords.
Our reports did include a tick, tick list. However, there was always further information to make things clear. These agents get good money for the things they are required to do. I think people should realise they are working for them and they should taken to task if they do not do as agreed, then, change their ways.
As an owner, I wouldn't want this agent to manage my property in this manner. We very much preferred things being described and photos taken. However, a check list does help to highlight the areas we needed to look at closer. The list was not a deciding factor in the overall scheme of things.

On the other side of the coin. We had tenants who decided it was a good idea to burn fires in the middle of the rooms. I guess it saved on electricity. Didn't do the carpets much good. For that, we appreciated the report and advice from our agent before they burned the house down.

We all know that landlords and tenants don't always see eye to eye. There are plenty of tales out there about landlords taking advantage of their tenants and vice versa.

But let us tell you about a recent story that takes the cake in terms of being divisive. There's an Aussie real estate agent who's causing quite a stir with what can only be described as a 'cleaning scoring system' for tenants.

What's the fuss about? Well, it turns out this agent was grading the tenant's cleaning skills during each inspection!

It all started when a renter shared their experience online, quickly catching everyone's attention. Imagine their horror when they received a scorecard from their real estate agent after a routine inspection. This scorecard had ratings for 17 different areas of their rental home.

View attachment 23710
An Aussie real estate agent has come under fire over their cleaning 'scoring system' for tenants. Credit: Karolina Grabowska/Pexels.

The renter was also given an overall rating out of five stars, which constituted an evaluation of their house's cleanliness. The scorecard the tenant received showed they had only achieved three and a half stars due to a single light globe that wasn't working.

'I've been renting a long time, and my deep cleaning routine is based around inspections,' the tenant explained. 'I go all out—every room in my little 3x2 villa is given a spring clean, every surface is washed including walls, doors, lights, windows, carpets etc.'

The tenant went on to explain that they usually spend a week or more prepping their house for inspection day, ensuring every job is done to a showroom-level standard and that everything is in pristine condition.

Despite the tenant having gone 'overboard' with the cleaning, the real estate agent still marked them down 'terribly' due to the kitchen's single, non-working light bulb.

'Had my latest inspection a few weeks ago and just received the report,' the renter said. 'Despite the agent commenting that she never sees houses as clean as mine, and taking 112 photos of every single thing that shows how great the condition of the house is… Having one light globe not working is so terrible that I was scored three and a half out of five.'

View attachment 23711
The tenant was 'demoralised' to only receive three and a half stars out of five, despite only being marked down for one thing. Credit: Reddit.

The person later discovered that the broken light globe was actually the real estate's responsibility to replace, not the tenant's.

Needless to say, the renter's story sparked a furious response from Reddit users, with many claiming this was 'ridiculously petty' and 'morally wrong'.

Others felt that tenants actually keep a home to a higher standard than owners; the Reddit user's post reminded some of the time they'd left their kitchen light out for 'years'.

Many also shared anecdotes of their own horror stories, like one user whose 'real estate agent has the gall' to comment on minor things like dirt in a sliding door track, yet there was 'actual s*** coming through the ceiling [in] the second bathroom upstairs [with] the toilet leaking for over a year'.

Key Takeaways

• A real estate agent has introduced a controversial cleaning 'scoring system' for tenants, prompting outrage.
  • A tenant shared their experience on Reddit, revealing they had been marked down and given a rating of three and a half stars out of five due to a non-functional light bulb.
  • The tenant went to great lengths for deep cleaning prior to inspections and found the scoring system to be 'demoralising'.
  • Following the post, many Reddit users responded with outrage, discussing their frustrating experiences with property inspections.

This story reminds us of the importance of making sure that the places we call home are both safe and hygienic. Whether you're a tenant or a landlord, there are simple yet significant steps to take. As a renter, it's crucial to keep your rented space well-maintained. And for landlords, treating tenants with respect, kindness, and understanding is paramount.

Members, if any of you have ever encountered a similar experience, we'd love to hear about it! Share your stories in the comments below!
Hubby and I have been renting for 18 yrs in different locations in QLD with various real estate agents and the one thing we found that applies to all is they are all corrupt. We always had registered cleaners when we moved but they still tried to find fault but it never went further as we always took photos of every room when we first moved in. They are sweet as when you move in but should there be a need to have something repaired or replaced, forget it. Then when you leave they will find a reason to keep the bond. We have taken three agents to court and each time we won. Corrupt the lot of them. We have our own home now.

View attachment 23710

View attachment 23711

Key Takeaways

when i used to rent i HATED inspection days. It felt like a gross major intrusion of privacy and personal space; lack of trust; a chance to sticky beak about. It was also stressful.

View attachment 23710

View attachment 23711

Key Takeaways

If you keep your home clean you won’t have Togo “all out” at the last minute before inspection.
And just a question why is it a landlords who has to replace your light bulbs?
Rented out two houses for 13 years still to get a good Tennent now with the land tax rates and insurance Increases going to sell up and enjoy my retirement worry free. So good luck getting a rental in the future only the very clean people will get one.

Reactions: byethebye
This isn’t related to renting a place ,just warning people of scammers hacking bank
accounts,these are ones that hacked my account starting with small amounts
Juice Bar Shop 29/5/ 2023 $2.99
3/7/2023 $59.80 - 26/5/2023. $58.95
Media TV Store
26/5/2023 $ 3.33
8/6/2023
$8.30
3/7/203
$58.75
Hobby Club star
26/5/2023
$3.33
as a pensioner I can’t afford these scammers taking money from my accounts
I rang theCredit Union to see what can be done,well we can cancel your card n issue another one ,
I have had 5 new cards since last year,because of hackers
I have not been reimbursed for any of the money taken
should I leave the credit Union go to a major bank ,or just withdraw
my money out in full ,I do have some automated payments taken out

Having had some utter pigs as tenants, back in the days when Landlords still held the balance of 'Rights', I am delighted that the Agent is so diligent on the inspections.

Before I bought my own unit in 2012 I spent 17 years renting the same unit. The old lady owner went into a nursing home and her family rented it out. They did nothing except replace the bedroom carpet the old lady had soiled once too often. They didn't even pain it. Yes, I was a great tenant UNTIL, I requested a few things be fixed: the original 1968 showerhead disintegrated - the metal disc with the water holes in, a light fitting literally blew up one night with flames coming from the ceiling where the wire came through. It took 6 months of weekly complaining about the nonexistent showerhead (it is the landlord's responsibility to provide a working shower) and a further 3 months to get the plainly dangerous light fitting fixed. Each time I 'complained' they threatened an inspection and each time I said to come right now - their office was literally less than 5 minutes away. They never came. Eventually and after the issues were fixed they changed the property manager who then demanded an inspection. When she came she accused me of having refused previous inspections! I invited her in and painstakingly took her through the unit pointing out every single area of concern that had nothing to do with me . There were scratch marks on the walls where the previous elderly owner's furniture had been, stains on the carpet where the old lady had had one too many accidents, the place where the son of that lady had cut out a piece of heavily soiled carpet and replaced it with an old bit of the original bedroom carpet which they had replaced before I got there. Then I told the agent that I had been there for 15 years at that point and had not had a single inspection despite the many many threats handed to me. I also went into great detail about the 9 months it took to fix two major issues all the while as the estate agent was threatening me. I was able to provide photographs of the state of the unit when I moved in - easy to compare with the current state of the unit. I never saw this person again! Two years later and after the 17th year anniversary, I told them I was leaving and gave them the date. It was one day after the rental period and they charged me pro-rata for that day and demanded a deep clean throughout.

As it happened the strata management had decided to remove all the floors of every unit and replace them with new floors. As I was moving out they took that opportunity to do the unit I was in. So I moved out, gave the floors a vacuum and left. The agent was meant to do an inspection at 9am the next morning but strata moved in at 7am jackhammering the floors out so they couldn't do the usual' fingers over the lightbulbs to find dust' inspection much to their eternal annoyance. They had no reason to withhold any of the 17 year old bond either!

I found out later that the actual owners knew nothing of all this. It was in fact the agent who increased rent and never told them about the issues in the unit. They only found out after I left when someone on the strata committee with whom I was friendly told them. So it is not always the owner's fault when things are not done,

All I can say is there are good and bad tenants, landlords and agents. When my sister rented a house the agent who came to do the inspections was a real nasty person. She picked faults with everything, made nasty comments to my sister, one day she kicked my sisters dog. Always threatened to have her evicted. Lucky the landlord was a very nice man who was happy with my sister as a tenant. He often visited to make sure everything was good and would do repairs as needed. He made sure she got her full bond back when she left. He was selling the house so she had to move out. That was 2years ago, she hasn’t been able to find another affordable rental and has lived in an old shed on a friends property since then. Better than the alternative of her car or a tent, but far from satisfactory.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I have found in my working capacity ,doing work on units and houses via agents over the last twenty yrs, the standard of agents is disgraceful ,(the way they talk, most disrespectful and degrading about tenants) im surprised the owners keep them "looking after the property, I presume the owners don't care...I feel sorry for people having to deal with these "agents/bullies.....very cowardly

If you keep your home clean you won’t have Togo “all out” at the last minute before inspection.
And just a question why is it a landlords who has to replace your light bulbs?
Rented out two houses for 13 years still to get a good Tennent now with the land tax rates and insurance Increases going to sell up and enjoy my retirement worry free. So good luck getting a rental in the future only the very clean people will get one.
Maybe the tenants didn't know the kught bulb was not working

Once when renting a house many yrs ago through Housing Commission as it was known then, the inspector who came for the yearly inspection was male and as he failed to find anything to complain about due to my home being spotless and the yard maintained, he then went back into the kitchen, lifted up the lid of the rubbish bin which had a couple of items in it and stated that the bin should have been emptied prior to his arrival as it was an attraction for vermin and I had now failed my inspection. Made a complaint about his attitude and never seen him again.

• Love
Reactions: Tipsy

View attachment 23710

View attachment 23711

Key Takeaways

I rented a property for many years and the owner used to come to inspect it every 2 years. The realtors every 6 mths. Well on one of the owners visits she asked me if we were having trouble paying the rent. No I said, on the odd occasion, as my husband was self employed, it might be a bit late but no we were always up to date. well she said, “ I haven’t received rent for five months”!!! Turned out someone at the real estate office was pocketing it!! Imagine if she hadn’t talked to me and just told them to kick us out!!!

Reactions: Tipsy and Joydie
Having had some utter pigs as tenants, back in the days when Landlords still held the balance of 'Rights', I am delighted that the Agent is so diligent on the inspections.
Surely that one item should not have been the reason for the lower score. If the tenant was OK working with no light in the kitchen, what’s the big deal? It would be different if she had left the tenancy without replacing that light, if that was actually her responsibility to do. I don’t rent a place or rent out a property to anyone so not sure with current laws whose responsibility is for what. Just giving my opinion on the issue.

Yes, some tenants are not very clean (or tidy, but tidiness is for their own comfort) but if there is no actual DAMAGE and the property is left clean and in good repair at the end of the tenancy that’s the ultimate score card that matters. Any actual damage or major cleaning cost should come out of the bond on leaving. Real estate agents are well known for not following up on replacing fair wear and tear and postponing this with all sorts of excuses and ignoring complaints from tenants.

Many years ago we rented out our house in Brisbane while my husband, children and I had to live in Newcastle for 6 months for my husband’s further engineering studies - believe it or not, my house was rented by someone who was obviously wealthy enough to have his own light aircraft but the day we returned to our house the front door was literally WIDE open. This was a rental through Ray White, a well known and respected agent then. We have never rented out our premises again.

So not all blame should be heaped only on the tenant - agents need to respond to tenants’ needs and owners need to come to the party with repairs that are warranted and they should do so in good time, not after repeated requests or any threat of withholding rent until attended to.

My son was renting a house once while studying and being conscious of the environment had a compost bin going, inspection time came and the agent told him to get rid of that bin full of dirt so he explains what it is and she asks him what is compost and why would you save scraps instead of putting them in the rubbish bin. Just an example of the intelligence level of real estate agents.

Surely that one item should not have been the reason for the lower score. If the tenant was OK working with no light in the kitchen, what’s the big deal? It would be different if she had left the tenancy without replacing that light, if that was actually her responsibility to do. I don’t rent a place or rent out a property to anyone so not sure with current laws whose responsibility is for what. Just giving my opinion on the issue.

Yes, some tenants are not very clean (or tidy, but tidiness is for their own comfort) but if there is no actual DAMAGE and the property is left clean and in good repair at the end of the tenancy that’s the ultimate score card that matters. Any actual damage or major cleaning cost should come out of the bond on leaving. Real estate agents are well known for not following up on replacing fair wear and tear and postponing this with all sorts of excuses and ignoring complaints from tenants.

Many years ago we rented out our house in Brisbane while my husband, children and I had to live in Newcastle for 6 months for my husband’s further engineering studies - believe it or not, my house was rented by someone who was obviously wealthy enough to have his own light aircraft but the day we returned to our house the front door was literally WIDE open. This was a rental through Ray White, a well known and respected agent then. We have never rented out our premises again.

So not all blame should be heaped only on the tenant - agents need to respond to tenants’ needs and owners need to come to the party with repairs that are warranted and they should do so in good time, not after repeated requests or any threat of withholding rent until attended to.
If there is a decent real estate agent out there please step forward. Bet no one does.

Lots of complaints about landlords and agents. I want you to trust me when I tell you there are some appalling tenants out there. My husband and I bought a beautiful home in a rural town on the north coast of NSW. We rented it to a tenant who was a local podiatrist. A healthcare practitioner. What could be better? Because I'd been headhunted for a job in a town further up the coast, we rented a property there. When we decided to move to our own home, we paid $300 for contract cleaner - this was in 2008 - and got a call from the agent letting us know that they'd never had a tenant leave a home so clean. I'd kept it spotless, spent four to six hours a week looking after the 16 roses and the rest of the garden, as well as working 32 hours a week.

We arrived at our property exhausted and sick with flu and discovered a pigsty. The bathroom and toilet were so filthy they couldn't be used and I spent two hours cleaning them so we could go to the toilet and have a shower. The kitchen was so filthy that I refused to use the stove or oven. We had intended to renovate the kitchen anyway, because all the cupboards were solid timber and I don't believe it's possible to ensure that solid timber is really clean. I made do with a convection microwave and a sink until the new kitchen was finished. Also, the day we moved, my mother had a stroke from which she didn't recover, dying two weeks later. I'll never forgive that pig for treating our home that way, because he'd told us that he had a gardener coming fortnightly and a cleaner weekly. The property manager was a young girl who didn't do her job properly, but she said the tenant was obstructive whenever she came to inspect. Having met him, I believe her.

However, our son's story leaves us in the shade. He bought a small, cheap house on a busy main road with a bus stop almost at the door when he was 24. His first tenants stayed two years until they had saved enough for a deposit on a home of their own. They were perfect tenants.

As our son had become business owner, he no longer had time to manage his property, so he put it in the hands of a letting agent. The tenants were an older man, with a very much younger wife. About nine months into their tenancy, our son contacted the agent to check on inspections, and discovered they'd done none. Again, an agent not doing her job. She said the tenants were a month ahead with the rent and had never asked for repairs, so she was comfortable they were good tenants. Our son said that nevertheless, inspections were promised three monthly and he'd like one done. Strangely, a couple of days after the tenants moved in, a tourist coach appeared outside the house. It blocked vision of the entire front of the house. It never moved. It sat there 24/7. As a commercially registered vehicle, it was within its rights to do so.

Next day, our son was called by the agent and asked to come to the property. Immediately. He arrived and walked down the hall into the kitchen he'd renovated before these tenants moved in. No cooking had ever been done in that kitchen. Every surface, including the tops of the top cupboards was crowded with TV screens. The living room, every bedroom and the rumpus room at the back of the house had been partitioned off, each section with just enough room for a double bed. They were all decorated in the manner of a bordello from a 1950s western movie. Yes, our son's home was being used as a brothel. When he walked out the front, our son was besieged by neighbours. These tenants were terrorising the neighbourhood, with customers coming and going all day, but particularly at night. If anyone complained, they'd suddenly discover property damage, gardens ruined or human faeces scattered on front porches.

Unbelievably, despite the fact that the tenant had broken the terms of his lease by running a business, our son had to take him to court to get him out. Twice! The first time, the magistrate extended his eviction date for 30 days, because he's on a disability support pension! Three months after he left, our son was hit with a lawsuit, suing him for $500,000 for an injury the morbidly obese tenant allegedly suffered when he allegedly fell off the deck which was half a metre off the ground. The case was thrown out.

Needless to say, our son put the property on the market after this experience!

Reactions: JayEeGeeP
Lots of complaints about landlords and agents. I want you to trust me when I tell you there are some appalling tenants out there. My husband and I bought a beautiful home in a rural town on the north coast of NSW. We rented it to a tenant who was a local podiatrist. A healthcare practitioner. What could be better? Because I'd been headhunted for a job in a town further up the coast, we rented a property there. When we decided to move to our own home, we paid $300 for contract cleaner - this was in 2008 - and got a call from the agent letting us know that they'd never had a tenant leave a home so clean. I'd kept it spotless, spent four to six hours a week looking after the 16 roses and the rest of the garden, as well as working 32 hours a week.

We arrived at our property exhausted and sick with flu and discovered a pigsty. The bathroom and toilet were so filthy they couldn't be used and I spent two hours cleaning them so we could go to the toilet and have a shower. The kitchen was so filthy that I refused to use the stove or oven. We had intended to renovate the kitchen anyway, because all the cupboards were solid timber and I don't believe it's possible to ensure that solid timber is really clean. I made do with a convection microwave and a sink until the new kitchen was finished. Also, the day we moved, my mother had a stroke from which she didn't recover, dying two weeks later. I'll never forgive that pig for treating our home that way, because he'd told us that he had a gardener coming fortnightly and a cleaner weekly. The property manager was a young girl who didn't do her job properly, but she said the tenant was obstructive whenever she came to inspect. Having met him, I believe her.

However, our son's story leaves us in the shade. He bought a small, cheap house on a busy main road with a bus stop almost at the door when he was 24. His first tenants stayed two years until they had saved enough for a deposit on a home of their own. They were perfect tenants.

As our son had become business owner, he no longer had time to manage his property, so he put it in the hands of a letting agent. The tenants were an older man, with a very much younger wife. About nine months into their tenancy, our son contacted the agent to check on inspections, and discovered they'd done none. Again, an agent not doing her job. She said the tenants were a month ahead with the rent and had never asked for repairs, so she was comfortable they were good tenants. Our son said that nevertheless, inspections were promised three monthly and he'd like one done. Strangely, a couple of days after the tenants moved in, a tourist coach appeared outside the house. It blocked vision of the entire front of the house. It never moved. It sat there 24/7. As a commercially registered vehicle, it was within its rights to do so.

Next day, our son was called by the agent and asked to come to the property. Immediately. He arrived and walked down the hall into the kitchen he'd renovated before these tenants moved in. No cooking had ever been done in that kitchen. Every surface, including the tops of the top cupboards was crowded with TV screens. The living room, every bedroom and the rumpus room at the back of the house had been partitioned off, each section with just enough room for a double bed. They were all decorated in the manner of a bordello from a 1950s western movie. Yes, our son's home was being used as a brothel. When he walked out the front, our son was besieged by neighbours. These tenants were terrorising the neighbourhood, with customers coming and going all day, but particularly at night. If anyone complained, they'd suddenly discover property damage, gardens ruined or human faeces scattered on front porches.

Unbelievably, despite the fact that the tenant had broken the terms of his lease by running a business, our son had to take him to court to get him out. Twice! The first time, the magistrate extended his eviction date for 30 days, because he's on a disability support pension! Three months after he left, our son was hit with a lawsuit, suing him for $500,000 for an injury the morbidly obese tenant allegedly suffered when he allegedly fell off the deck which was half a metre off the ground. The case was thrown out.

Needless to say, our son put the property on the market after this experience!
Undoubtedly there are slobs and rogues on both sides.

Reactions: JayEeGeeP