Outrage Ignited: The Shockingly Rude Note Left on Disabled Woman's Car That'll Make Your Blood Boil

We all know the saying, ‘Don't judge a book by its cover.’ But in today's fast-paced world, it seems that some people have forgotten the importance of taking a moment to consider the full story before making snap judgments. This was all too evident in a recent incident involving a disabled woman and her car, which has sparked outrage on social media.

1682929155241.png
A Canberra local has slammed a note left on their disabled mum’s car. Picture: iStock

Imagine going about your day, running errands with a family member, only to return to your car and find a shockingly rude note accusing them of misusing a disability parking spot. This is precisely what happened to one Reddit user who shared their story, and the note left on their mother's car after a shopping trip in Canberra.

1682930831732.png
The note instructed the woman to ‘follow the rules’. Picture: Reddit

‘Hi, are you truely [sic] disabled,’ the note read. ‘You both walked from your car like athletes [sic]. Please follow the rules.’

Now, if that doesn't make your blood boil, we don't know what will. The Reddit user was understandably furious and took to the forum to vent their frustration.

‘The absolute gall to leave this on my mother's car in Gungahlin shops parking,’ they wrote. ‘My mother is disabled, her disability isn't visible. She was legally given a disability parking permit because she is DISABLED! What a moron.’

It's a heartbreaking reminder that not all disabilities are visible, and it's not our place to judge others based on appearances. According to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 18 per cent (or 4.4 million) of the total population in Australia has a disability, and many of those disabilities are not immediately apparent. This story resonated with many who shared similar experiences they or people they knew had been through when it came to disability parking.

One woman with arthritis said, ‘I have arthritis in my spine and elsewhere – disabling, yet completely invisible. Have had old women yell at me for parking in the disabled spots, despite having a permit.’

Another person shared their friend's experience: ‘My mate with MS cops this all the time.’

To better support people with disabilities, particularly those with invisible disabilities, it's essential to practice empathy and understanding. Here are a few tips:

1. Don't assume someone doesn't have a disability just because it isn't visible.
2. Treat everyone with respect and kindness, regardless of their abilities or appearance.
3. Offer assistance if you see someone struggling, but always ask first and respect their wishes.

There are also several initiatives and campaigns promoting disability awareness, such as Invisible Disabilities Week, which aims to raise awareness and educate the public about the challenges faced by those with invisible disabilities.

Thankfully, the Reddit community rallied around the user and their mother, offering kind words and support.

‘That is a true ****s act. Please let your mum know that the rest of society does not judge people like this; it's an act of a lonely coward,’ one social media user said.

‘I'm sorry you found this note on your car. There's no need to ever justify why you have a disabled 'sticker'. It's no one's business but your own,’ another added.

Key Takeaways

• A driver found a note on their mother's car accusing them of misusing an accessible parking spot.
  • The note questioned if the mother was truly disabled and asked them to follow the rules.
  • The social media user explained that their mother has a non-visible disability and has a legal parking permit.
  • Others shared similar experiences and offered support to the family against such judgmental behaviour.

We couldn't agree more. It's essential to remember that everyone is fighting their own battles, some of which we may not see on the surface. So, let's all take a moment to practice kindness, understanding, and empathy, and remember not to judge others based on appearances alone.

And to our dear SDC members who may have experienced similar situations, please know that you have our support and understanding. You deserve respect and consideration, regardless of whether your disability is visible or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
We all know the saying, ‘Don't judge a book by its cover.’ But in today's fast-paced world, it seems that some people have forgotten the importance of taking a moment to consider the full story before making snap judgments. This was all too evident in a recent incident involving a disabled woman and her car, which has sparked outrage on social media.

View attachment 18832
A Canberra local has slammed a note left on their disabled mum’s car. Picture: iStock

Imagine going about your day, running errands with a family member, only to return to your car and find a shockingly rude note accusing them of misusing a disability parking spot. This is precisely what happened to one Reddit user who shared their story, and the note left on their mother's car after a shopping trip in Canberra.

View attachment 18834

‘Hi, are you truely [sic] disabled,’ the note read. ‘You both walked from your car like athletes [sic]. Please follow the rules.’

Now, if that doesn't make your blood boil, we don't know what will. The Reddit user was understandably furious and took to the forum to vent their frustration.

‘The absolute gall to leave this on my mother's car in Gungahlin shops parking,’ they wrote. ‘My mother is disabled, her disability isn't visible. She was legally given a disability parking permit because she is DISABLED! What a moron.’

It's a heartbreaking reminder that not all disabilities are visible, and it's not our place to judge others based on appearances. According to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 18 per cent (or 4.4 million) of the total population in Australia has a disability, and many of those disabilities are not immediately apparent. This story resonated with many who shared similar experiences they or people they knew had been through when it came to disability parking.

One woman with arthritis said, ‘I have arthritis in my spine and elsewhere – disabling, yet completely invisible. Have had old women yell at me for parking in the disabled spots, despite having a permit.’

Another person shared their friend's experience: ‘My mate with MS cops this all the time.’

To better support people with disabilities, particularly those with invisible disabilities, it's essential to practice empathy and understanding. Here are a few tips:

1. Don't assume someone doesn't have a disability just because it isn't visible.
2. Treat everyone with respect and kindness, regardless of their abilities or appearance.
3. Offer assistance if you see someone struggling, but always ask first and respect their wishes.

There are also several initiatives and campaigns promoting disability awareness, such as Invisible Disabilities Week, which aims to raise awareness and educate the public about the challenges faced by those with invisible disabilities.

Thankfully, the Reddit community rallied around the user and their mother, offering kind words and support.

‘That is a true ****s act. Please let your mum know that the rest of society does not judge people like this; it's an act of a lonely coward,’ one social media user said.

‘I'm sorry you found this note on your car. There's no need to ever justify why you have a disabled 'sticker'. It's no one's business but your own,’ another added.

Key Takeaways

• A driver found a note on their mother's car accusing them of misusing an accessible parking spot.
  • The note questioned if the mother was truly disabled and asked them to follow the rules.
  • The social media user explained that their mother has a non-visible disability and has a legal parking permit.
  • Others shared similar experiences and offered support to the family against such judgmental behaviour.

We couldn't agree more. It's essential to remember that everyone is fighting their own battles, some of which we may not see on the surface. So, let's all take a moment to practice kindness, understanding, and empathy, and remember not to judge others based on appearances alone.

And to our dear SDC members who may have experienced similar situations, please know that you have our support and understanding. You deserve respect and consideration, regardless of whether your disability is visible or not.
My 91 year old mother forgot my daughter's name which was unusual. I took her to have tests done and drove out from the Dr's surgery in disbelief! My mother had brain cancer! I was so upset that when I parked at the shopping centre with her to get her medication, I forgot to display her disabled sticker! When we got back to the car a man was waiting in his car next to me and abused us! It was the straw that broke my back. Drove home in a terrible state! Yes I was in the wrong for forgetting (mum always had the sticker in her handbag) but didn't need that just then. If you are displaying your disabled sticker, you deserve to be respected but yes people do judge. It can be so hurtful.

Yes that is certainly true people are very quick to act before they have all the FACTS, mine was not a disable park. I was at a bowling alley car park waiting for my husband to come we used to be in a bowling league and I worked in the opposite direction to him so we had to take 2 cars. Well as I said I was parked already and then he came and parked next to me I got out of my car and into his and off we went to get some tea before bowling, when we got back my car was completely covered in POST IT NOTES calling me all the most vulgar names under the sun, guess why they thought because I got out of my car and went to his I was a whore and was playing up with a married man, well I was he was my husband. Just goes to show LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP. I have to say I felt totally violated and a bit worried that they would be able to find out where I lived. Luckily it went no further than the notes.

Some people have these stickers because they are a persons' much needed chauffer but I have seen it first hand and have a relative that uses and abuses this priviledge simply for a chance for close up parking when not involved with either a drop off or a pick up. These people should not park in these spots. Keeping an open mind, I can see where the writer of this note is coming from and he/she may be out of place by having written it out and leaving it behind on a car. But like l said, some purely abuse the priviledge by having a label on a car when they have no right to use up a handicapped persons righted parking spot when there is nothing wrong with them.

Y
Some people have these stickers because they are a persons' much needed chauffer but I have seen it first hand and have a relative that uses and abuses this priviledge simply for a chance for close up parking when not involved with either a drop off or a pick up. These people should not park in these spots. Keeping an open mind, I can see where the writer of this note is coming from and he/she may be out of place by having written it out and leaving it behind on a car. But like l said, some purely abuse the priviledge by having a label on a car when they have no right to use up a handicapped persons righted parking spot when there is nothing wrong with them.
Yes I know of a person that had a sticker because of their husband, when he passed away they just never told anyone and continued to use it even though they did not need it anymore.

Many years ago a young male friend parked in a Disabled spot (legally). As he got out of the car he was subjected to a muttering of abuse from a couple of elderly women walking by. So he popped off his prosthetic leg and waving it at them asked did they not think this was a disability? At the time he was having a great deal of problems with abscesses on his stump and was in considerable pain. The women tucked their heads down and slunk off........no apology forthcoming......

View attachment 18832

View attachment 18834

Key Takeaways

I have a disability sticker on my 4wd.ute and have been questioned on numerous occasions. My disability is not visible but I have had two spinal operations and suffer from arthritis in my hands and knees, I wish people would mind their own business and get on with their own lives.

I have serious spinal problems and can't stand or walk for any distance. I have never had a problem using my Acrod sticker but when I am parking my car and I can see a normal parking space vacant I use that in case someone with more difficulties than me comes and they have the disabled space. My husband says I am stupid doing this and I would use the disabled space if all the other spaces were taken but I just like to think that there is still somewhere for someone disabled to park when they come if I use a nearby normal parking space.

View attachment 18832

View attachment 18834

Key Takeaways

I had a similar experience but in an opposite situation. I drove my Sister who had a serious heart condition to shops. I found a car park close to the shops so did not use a disabled car park. BUT my sister kept her disability sticker on view all the time. Anyway we got out of the car and started to walk to the shop when this man tells us that neither of us looked disab) Ed so shouldn't be using a disability sticker and in anycase it was illegal to display one if we weren't parked in a disabled car park. As far as I know anyone can park anywhere, provided its not in a disabled car park, regardless if the sticker is being displayed or not. The illegal part is if you park in a disabled park WITHOUT the sticker.

Two points, as a long time carer of a lady with MS...first, never question a disability sticker, second never question a car in a disability park without a disability sticker. I have seen too many fit people jump out of a car in a disability park only to open the boot and pull out a walker to assist someone sitting in the backseat!

Two points, as a long time carer of a lady with MS...first, never question a disability sticker, second never question a car in a disability park without a disability sticker. I have seen too many fit people jump out of a car in a disability park only to open the boot and pull out a walker to assist someone sitting in the backseat!
As an MS sufferer, I am perfectly fine to be able to park wherever I can find a place and walk it.

Reactions: Marj53

View attachment 18832

View attachment 18834

Key Takeaways

I have a disability permit, and I'm just waiting for some arsehole to ask the moronic question? My answer yes it's F#cking Tourette's so F%ck Off.

View attachment 18832

View attachment 18834

Key Takeaways

I totally agree, I have just today received my mobility parking permit, I have a back injury due to a fall and arthritis in one knee, as I am getting older it is becoming a bit more of a struggle and also just recently I was diagnosed with anorectal cancer for which I will be receiving treatment. We do need to educate people more these days to show some compassion for those of us that struggle with something that isn't visible on the surface before they leave these disgusting notes on cars, what they need to know is that those of us that have these permits have to be assessed by a doctor before they are approved.

View attachment 18832

View attachment 18834

Key Takeaways

My friend who had a heart transplant got abused many times for using disabled parking. People need to stop being so judgemental. Walking in another persons shoes is something to think about.

View attachment 18832

View attachment 18834

Key Takeaways

My daughter is 32 years old. Who would pick that she is disabled. She recently parked in disability space at Bunnings in Noosa. She was extremely upset, as that’s Bunnings staff member walked up to her and told her to leave. My daughter said, “not that it’s any of your business, I have multiple sclerosis”. She needs a trolley to support her whilst walking, or she will fall as she often does, and get another bruise. She has many. I think Bunnings owes MS Queensland a donation, starting with a Saturday sausage sizzle. Try to be a mother watching your child try to walk without falling, and see how it feels. Maybe Bunnings do-holders should spend a day in her shoes. Gezabel.

Reactions: Marj53
My daughter is 32 years old. Who would pick that she is disabled. She recently parked in disability space at Bunnings in Noosa. She was extremely upset, as that’s Bunnings staff member walked up to her and told her to leave. My daughter said, “not that it’s any of your business, I have multiple sclerosis”. She needs a trolley to support her whilst walking, or she will fall as she often does, and get another bruise. She has many. I think Bunnings owes MS Queensland a donation, starting with a Saturday sausage sizzle. Try to be a mother watching your child try to walk without falling, and see how it feels. Maybe Bunnings do-holders should spend a day in her shoes. Gezabel.
Absolutely awful. I know she would have been so upset but asking to see the manager of that store would have put the cat right there in amongst the privileged pigeons.
We are all, every single one of us one accident or illness away from being "disabled". I hate that label too BTW.

View attachment 18832

View attachment 18834

Key Takeaways

View attachment 18832

View attachment 18834

Key Takeaways

Always carry a cane. I never get abused. Of course I do require a cane (severe osteoarthritis of the knee). Unfortunately I often see cars with the permits (Anglicare is one) and have sat our their arrival and departure and the driver, with no disabled client, is definitely fit and able. They are gaming the system.

Reactions: MindyMac
I work in aged care home help, contary to the general belief. As staff we aren't issued with ACROD cards if the clients has one I will display it. Try & get someone with a walker close to the shops when there is hardly any acrod parking. Some of my clients don't look like they have health issues. I am glad I wear a uniform so I don't get abused very often. It isn't easier getting a ACROD card some are only issued for a short time.