Outrage ensues as Woolworths makes a shocking change to their bag policy

If you're a regular Woolworths shopper, you've probably noticed some big bag changes over the past few years.

First, single-use plastic bags were phased out as part of their sustainability efforts, and most recently, paper bags were introduced as a greener alternative for 25 cents.

Well, prepare for the latest switch-up—Woolies has shrunk those paper bags!

The change comes just six months after the 25c paper bags were introduced across all Woolworths stores in Australia. The decision to reduce the size of the bags has left many customers feeling short-changed, with some even labelling the move as a 'rip-off'.

A Woolworths spokesperson explained the rationale behind the decision, stating, 'We have recently changed the height of our paper shopping bags in our stores to match the paper bags we use for online deliveries.’

Screenshot 2023-11-16 080934.png
Woolworths paper bags are now smaller. Credit: @bradenjonanderson/TikTok

They continued: ‘Many of our online orders are picked and packed in-store, so having one consistent size for all our paper bags helps simplify our processes. The new bags are now 3.5cm shorter, resulting in a slight reduction in the bag's overall volume.’

However, Woolworths assured customers that the bags have been tested and can ‘still carry the same weight of groceries.’

The change has not gone unnoticed by Woolworths shoppers, many of whom have taken to social media to voice their dissatisfaction.

One customer shared a video comparing the new Woolworths bag to one purchased just a week ago, highlighting the noticeable difference in size.

‘Check out this bunch, hey? Don’t they know how to read the room?’ the customer stated. ‘We’ve got record profits, we’re talking about the cost of living going up, they’ve got industrial action going on.’

‘But they’re going to f****ng make the bags smaller,’ the customer expressed.

Some of the viewers commented on the video, affirming that they also noticed the change.

‘Experienced this today. Thought it seemed weird,’ one commented, while another wrote: ‘I still can’t believe we have to pay for recycled paper bags.’

‘That’s a slap in the face,’ another said while a different social media user pointed out, ‘And still charge the same.’

A different Woolies shopper shared their frustration on social media, asking: ‘Why are you ripping off customers?’

It is understood that Woolworths previously offered two distinct paper bag sizes: one for in-store purchases at checkout and another for online orders packed by staff or at Customer Fulfilment Centres.

Now, the in-store bag size has been standardised to match the dimensions of the bags used for online orders. This adjustment ensures that the bags for online orders, tailored to fit the delivery crates in-home delivery vans, are now uniformly used across both shopping platforms.

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths supermarket has announced a major change to its paper shopping bags, reducing their size.
  • The change has sparked criticism from shoppers on social media, with some describing it as a 'rip-off'.
  • Woolworths defended the move, stating that the smaller bag size will simplify their processes, as the same bags are used for online deliveries and in-store purchases.
  • The bags for online orders were a specified size to fit inside the crates used for home delivery, this change brings the in-store bags in line with these.

What are your thoughts on the recent changes to Woolworths' bag policy, members? Have you noticed the difference in bag size? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
I normally shop online at coles but yesterday did an order from woolworths due to something I needed

When delivery arrived I noticed the bags were alot smaller than the coles bags. Yet they are the same price 🤔

Reactions: siameezer and Gsr
If you're a regular Woolworths shopper, you've probably noticed some big bag changes over the past few years.

First, single-use plastic bags were phased out as part of their sustainability efforts, and most recently, paper bags were introduced as a greener alternative for 25 cents.

The change comes just six months after the 25c paper bags were introduced across all Woolworths stores in Australia. The decision to reduce the size of the bags has left many customers feeling short-changed, with some even labelling the move as a 'rip-off'.

A Woolworths spokesperson explained the rationale behind the decision, stating, 'We have recently changed the height of our paper shopping bags in our stores to match the paper bags we use for online deliveries.’

View attachment 34879

They continued: ‘Many of our online orders are picked and packed in-store, so having one consistent size for all our paper bags helps simplify our processes. The new bags are now 3.5cm shorter, resulting in a slight reduction in the bag's overall volume.’

However, Woolworths assured customers that the bags have been tested and can ‘still carry the same weight of groceries.’

The change has not gone unnoticed by Woolworths shoppers, many of whom have taken to social media to voice their dissatisfaction.

One customer shared a video comparing the new Woolworths bag to one purchased just a week ago, highlighting the noticeable difference in size.

‘Check out this bunch, hey? Don’t they know how to read the room?’ the customer stated. ‘We’ve got record profits, we’re talking about the cost of living going up, they’ve got industrial action going on.’

Some of the viewers commented on the video, affirming that they also noticed the change.

‘Experienced this today. Thought it seemed weird,’ one commented, while another wrote: ‘I still can’t believe we have to pay for recycled paper bags.’

‘That’s a slap in the face,’ another said while a different social media user pointed out, ‘And still charge the same.’

A different Woolies shopper shared their frustration on social media, asking: ‘Why are you ripping off customers?’

It is understood that Woolworths previously offered two distinct paper bag sizes: one for in-store purchases at checkout and another for online orders packed by staff or at Customer Fulfilment Centres.

Now, the in-store bag size has been standardised to match the dimensions of the bags used for online orders. This adjustment ensures that the bags for online orders, tailored to fit the delivery crates in-home delivery vans, are now uniformly used across both shopping platforms.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths supermarket has announced a major change to its paper shopping bags, reducing their size.
  • The change has sparked criticism from shoppers on social media, with some describing it as a 'rip-off'.
  • Woolworths defended the move, stating that the smaller bag size will simplify their processes, as the same bags are used for online deliveries and in-store purchases.
  • The bags for online orders were a specified size to fit inside the crates used for home delivery, this change brings the in-store bags in line with these.

What are your thoughts on the recent changes to Woolworths' bag policy, members? Have you noticed the difference in bag size? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Then Woolworths should reduce the price accordingly! Simple fix. This price gouging HAS to stop.

View attachment 34879

Key Takeaways

these are the same rubbish bags that fell apart in parcel pick up 50 years ago when I worked in pickup. Bags in bits and shopping all over the floor . Greenies have a lot to answer for.

View attachment 34879

Key Takeaways

Then Woolworths should reduce the price accordingly! Simple fix. This price gouging HAS to stop.
In 10 bags they would get an extra 1. Every 10000 bags they would get 1000 bags. At .25 cents they save $250 (if my maths still add up). The millions of bags they go through- that’s an amount that I wouldn’t mind in my pocket. How much longer can people continue to be screwed.

In 10 bags they would get an extra 1. Every 10000 bags they would get 1000 bags. At .25 cents they save $250 (if my maths still add up). The millions of bags they go through- that’s an amount that I wouldn’t mind in my pocket. How much longer can people continue to be screwed.
This is the sole reason - more "shrinkflation" to reduce costs. Anything you hear from Woolies about "for our customers" is rubbish.

I always flaunt my many plastic bags kept over the years.

I never use them. I have canvas bags I have had for years and I keep taking them. They take a long time to wear out. I also get given more bags at various events I attend. Reuse as much as you can
Me too. I have fold up bags that I have with me wherever I go, plus extras in the car. I never buy bags and the checkout operators usually comment on how good my bags are. Mine are material and Ive had them for years. I just pop them in the washing machine and they are like new again

View attachment 34879

Key Takeaways

25c/paper bag, they will milk every last cent imo.

Yes, I would like to know how much Woolies etc pay for them and why they need any print on them??

I've got some plastic boxes in my car boot that I've had for years from a UK supermarket so I don't even need any bags.
When I scan, and paid for, my goods I put it all back in the trolley and just put it in the boxes. Not a bag in sight👍

Reactions: magpie1
OK - so everyone thinks (and perhaps knows) Woolworths are making some money charging the same price for smaller bags BUT to those that think they are being short-changed my question is "How much more do you think you can fit in that extra 3.5cms of the bigger bag?" Get the bigger bag, fill it to the brim and then whinge that the bag cannot take a full load and breaks!!!!!!!!! We cannot have it all our way all the time.

TAKE YOUR OWN BAGS then you cannot complain that Woolworths are charging you for bags every time you shop. As someone else said here your own bags pay for themselves in time and most can even be machine washed if they get dirty. Also, as 'freedy50' has said on this forum, if you have some plastic boxes then put your stuff in your trolley and take them to your car to pack into the boxes.

Because they don't care in most cases surely people could find alternatives. I make my own and have done so for years they are fabric or I have made a bag with flyscreen fabric and another with a type of shadecloth.

View attachment 34879

Key Takeaways

Just had my first delivery with the new size bags. They are made of a stronger paper which is a bit waxy. However when you get 1 bag with 4 carrots, one bag with 4 potatoes, one bag with 2 packets potato chips and 1 bag with a loaf of bread its a complete waste.

• Wow
Reactions: wendell
Just had my first delivery with the new size bags. They are made of a stronger paper which is a bit waxy. However when you get 1 bag with 4 carrots, one bag with 4 potatoes, one bag with 2 packets potato chips and 1 bag with a loaf of bread its a complete waste.
Forgot to say the Christmas bauble design makes them great gift bags for Christmas.

Reactions: wendell
As I keep saying buy canvas bags and you can use them over and over again I know some people are not able to get out and do their own shopping or some like the click and collect, surely someone can do the shopping for you and when you do the click and collect tell them you will pack it into bags yourself. Not only saving yourself some money but also save the environment win win.

I bought a pack of 5 polyester bags similar to shower certain material for $1 each and have used them twice a week at Aldi. They are starting to get a bit tatty but 15 years is not too bad? What is it with the latte set who use paper bags?