Outrage ensues after landlord criticises tenant’s 'continuous' repair appeals

In times when property prices are soaring and managing a house is becoming a pocket-pincher, being a homeowner or landlord comes with its share of advantages and challenges.

A ‘cash-strapped’ landlord in Sydney recently took to the internet to express her frustration regarding repair requests made by her tenants.

She voiced her annoyance at having to handle what she considered frequent appeals for ‘minor issues’.

compressed-architect-gb1ded07b4_640.jpeg
Landlords are responsible for addressing repairs in rental properties as it is part of their obligation to provide tenants with a safe and habitable living environment. Image by Pixabay

In her post, the landlord listed several issues, such as a faulty roller door, a loose doorknob, and an uncooperative plumbing system, dismissing them as minor concerns that didn't require immediate attention.

The landlord, who also owns another home aside from the rental property, felt that the list of repairs was too much for just a short period since the tenants had moved in.

She asked, 'My question is should I just suck it up and continue fixing these minor things? or should I start to say they just need to deal with it?'

She went on to add, ‘Each time, I approve the repairs and the maintenance is racking up! In my own home I live with all the above minor issues and just get on with it.’

The tenants have brought up some new problems that still need to be resolved.

One issue is with a sliding door that doesn't lock unless forcefully closed, while another problem is that one of the stove lighters has stopped working.

'I just feel like my tenants forget I'm not a multi-millionaire. What are your thoughts?' she asked.

To her surprise, people responded unsympathetically. They advised the woman to address the property issues or consider exiting the real estate business.

One commented, 'If you can't afford maintenance on your rental property, then you can't afford to be a landlord. It's actually that simple.'

Another user responded, 'As a tenant, I hate continuously asking for repairs as I feel like a burden, but then I remember this is the ONE benefit of renting. If something is broken, it's the landlord's obligation to fix it. It is all part of the property investment gig.'

The majority of people agreed that the issues were not insignificant.

compressed-plumbing-gfd2ea48dc_640.jpeg
Neglecting necessary repairs can lead to dissatisfaction and potential legal issues. Image by Pixabay

One said, 'A leaking tap could increase their water bill, a dead battery in a roller door means they can't use the door... a door that won't lock unless forced is not acceptable, what if they used force and then broke the door. Would you blame the tenant... be a good landlord and fix the issues.’

A second added, ‘These are very reasonable requests especially if they've just moved in, don't forget yes you're giving them a place to live BUT they are paying you to pay off the mortgage the least you could do is fix minor repairs.’

The woman explained that she chose not to increase the rent because her goal was simply to cover her mortgage payments, rather than becoming a real estate tycoon.

However, her explanation didn't impress.

One user expressed the opinion that refraining from exploiting the housing shortage and increasing the rent for profit shouldn't be seen as deserving of special recognition, as investments always involve some level of risk.

Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney landlord has been criticised online after complaining about constant, 'minor' repair requests from her tenants.
  • People responded by saying that if she can't afford maintenance on her rental property then she shouldn't be a landlord and that it is her obligation to keep the property in good condition.
  • The landlord tried to argue that she is not exploiting the housing shortage by raising rent but was told that investments carry risk and she should perhaps raise the rent to cover maintenance costs.

The main takeaway from this is that whether you are a landlord or a tenant, it is essential to have discussions about the condition of the property during the rental agreement process.

Members, what do you think about the landlord's frustration with repair requests from tenants? Do you believe it is the landlord's responsibility to fix any and all broken items in the rental property? Share your thoughts with us!

Sponsored
In times when property prices are soaring and managing a house is becoming a pocket-pincher, being a homeowner or landlord comes with its share of advantages and challenges.

A ‘cash-strapped’ landlord in Sydney recently took to the internet to express her frustration regarding repair requests made by her tenants.

She voiced her annoyance at having to handle what she considered frequent appeals for ‘minor issues’.

View attachment 25597
Landlords are responsible for addressing repairs in rental properties as it is part of their obligation to provide tenants with a safe and habitable living environment. Image by Pixabay

In her post, the landlord listed several issues, such as a faulty roller door, a loose doorknob, and an uncooperative plumbing system, dismissing them as minor concerns that didn't require immediate attention.

The landlord, who also owns another home aside from the rental property, felt that the list of repairs was too much for just a short period since the tenants had moved in.

She asked, 'My question is should I just suck it up and continue fixing these minor things? or should I start to say they just need to deal with it?'

She went on to add, ‘Each time, I approve the repairs and the maintenance is racking up! In my own home I live with all the above minor issues and just get on with it.’

The tenants have brought up some new problems that still need to be resolved.

One issue is with a sliding door that doesn't lock unless forcefully closed, while another problem is that one of the stove lighters has stopped working.

'I just feel like my tenants forget I'm not a multi-millionaire. What are your thoughts?' she asked.

To her surprise, people responded unsympathetically. They advised the woman to address the property issues or consider exiting the real estate business.

One commented, 'If you can't afford maintenance on your rental property, then you can't afford to be a landlord. It's actually that simple.'

Another user responded, 'As a tenant, I hate continuously asking for repairs as I feel like a burden, but then I remember this is the ONE benefit of renting. If something is broken, it's the landlord's obligation to fix it. It is all part of the property investment gig.'

The majority of people agreed that the issues were not insignificant.

View attachment 25598
Neglecting necessary repairs can lead to dissatisfaction and potential legal issues. Image by Pixabay

One said, 'A leaking tap could increase their water bill, a dead battery in a roller door means they can't use the door... a door that won't lock unless forced is not acceptable, what if they used force and then broke the door. Would you blame the tenant... be a good landlord and fix the issues.’

A second added, ‘These are very reasonable requests especially if they've just moved in, don't forget yes you're giving them a place to live BUT they are paying you to pay off the mortgage the least you could do is fix minor repairs.’

The woman explained that she chose not to increase the rent because her goal was simply to cover her mortgage payments, rather than becoming a real estate tycoon.

However, her explanation didn't impress.

One user expressed the opinion that refraining from exploiting the housing shortage and increasing the rent for profit shouldn't be seen as deserving of special recognition, as investments always involve some level of risk.

Key Takeaways

• A Sydney landlord has been criticised online after complaining about constant, 'minor' repair requests from her tenants.
  • People responded by saying that if she can't afford maintenance on her rental property then she shouldn't be a landlord and that it is her obligation to keep the property in good condition.
  • The landlord tried to argue that she is not exploiting the housing shortage by raising rent but was told that investments carry risk and she should perhaps raise the rent to cover maintenance costs.

The main takeaway from this is that whether you are a landlord or a tenant, it is essential to have discussions about the condition of the property during the rental agreement process.

Members, what do you think about the landlord's frustration with repair requests from tenants? Do you believe it is the landlord's responsibility to fix any and all broken items in the rental property? Share your thoughts with us!
minor issues can become major issues.

I had a tenant who alway had issues about a thorny bush that needed trimming as it was a danger at each inspection I made a private appointment with her. The bush in Large pot was not hers or mine it had been put there between me moving out and her moving in. The handy man who trimmed the bush, was married to the receptionist who called me for consent to have the work done.
?dont get it🙀

A landlord should always put a percentage of the rent aside for maintenance. If an older home, maintenance is expected on a constant basis. It is the owner's responsibility to keep the rental in a safe and sound environment. After all tenants are paying top rent. If the owner/landlord finds it difficult to pay for all the work that needs doing, they should not be in the position of owning a rental property. If managed by a real estate, they should advise the landlord of any wear and tear situations whenever inspections are being done, so the landlord can be prepared for any unforeseen repairs. However if the tenant is being rough with all the chattels and breaking/wearing out the chattels while on the go, then the tenants should take some responsibility as well. But then it has to be proven it is not wear and tear but abuse. The landlord must realise that there could be a fine issued by the RTA (Residential Tenancy Authority) if the tenants complain to them. Not saying there will be, but there is a possibility if the home becomes uninhabitable.

Reactions: Littleboy8