Outrage ensues after landlord criticises tenant’s 'continuous' repair appeals

In times when property prices are soaring and managing a house is becoming a pocket-pincher, being a homeowner or landlord comes with its share of advantages and challenges.

A ‘cash-strapped’ landlord in Sydney recently took to the internet to express her frustration regarding repair requests made by her tenants.

She voiced her annoyance at having to handle what she considered frequent appeals for ‘minor issues’.

compressed-architect-gb1ded07b4_640.jpeg
Landlords are responsible for addressing repairs in rental properties as it is part of their obligation to provide tenants with a safe and habitable living environment. Image by Pixabay

In her post, the landlord listed several issues, such as a faulty roller door, a loose doorknob, and an uncooperative plumbing system, dismissing them as minor concerns that didn't require immediate attention.

The landlord, who also owns another home aside from the rental property, felt that the list of repairs was too much for just a short period since the tenants had moved in.

She asked, 'My question is should I just suck it up and continue fixing these minor things? or should I start to say they just need to deal with it?'

She went on to add, ‘Each time, I approve the repairs and the maintenance is racking up! In my own home I live with all the above minor issues and just get on with it.’

The tenants have brought up some new problems that still need to be resolved.

One issue is with a sliding door that doesn't lock unless forcefully closed, while another problem is that one of the stove lighters has stopped working.

'I just feel like my tenants forget I'm not a multi-millionaire. What are your thoughts?' she asked.

To her surprise, people responded unsympathetically. They advised the woman to address the property issues or consider exiting the real estate business.

One commented, 'If you can't afford maintenance on your rental property, then you can't afford to be a landlord. It's actually that simple.'

Another user responded, 'As a tenant, I hate continuously asking for repairs as I feel like a burden, but then I remember this is the ONE benefit of renting. If something is broken, it's the landlord's obligation to fix it. It is all part of the property investment gig.'

The majority of people agreed that the issues were not insignificant.

compressed-plumbing-gfd2ea48dc_640.jpeg
Neglecting necessary repairs can lead to dissatisfaction and potential legal issues. Image by Pixabay

One said, 'A leaking tap could increase their water bill, a dead battery in a roller door means they can't use the door... a door that won't lock unless forced is not acceptable, what if they used force and then broke the door. Would you blame the tenant... be a good landlord and fix the issues.’

A second added, ‘These are very reasonable requests especially if they've just moved in, don't forget yes you're giving them a place to live BUT they are paying you to pay off the mortgage the least you could do is fix minor repairs.’

The woman explained that she chose not to increase the rent because her goal was simply to cover her mortgage payments, rather than becoming a real estate tycoon.

However, her explanation didn't impress.

One user expressed the opinion that refraining from exploiting the housing shortage and increasing the rent for profit shouldn't be seen as deserving of special recognition, as investments always involve some level of risk.

Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney landlord has been criticised online after complaining about constant, 'minor' repair requests from her tenants.
  • People responded by saying that if she can't afford maintenance on her rental property then she shouldn't be a landlord and that it is her obligation to keep the property in good condition.
  • The landlord tried to argue that she is not exploiting the housing shortage by raising rent but was told that investments carry risk and she should perhaps raise the rent to cover maintenance costs.

The main takeaway from this is that whether you are a landlord or a tenant, it is essential to have discussions about the condition of the property during the rental agreement process.

Members, what do you think about the landlord's frustration with repair requests from tenants? Do you believe it is the landlord's responsibility to fix any and all broken items in the rental property? Share your thoughts with us!

Sponsored
In times when property prices are soaring and managing a house is becoming a pocket-pincher, being a homeowner or landlord comes with its share of advantages and challenges.

A ‘cash-strapped’ landlord in Sydney recently took to the internet to express her frustration regarding repair requests made by her tenants.

She voiced her annoyance at having to handle what she considered frequent appeals for ‘minor issues’.

View attachment 25597
Landlords are responsible for addressing repairs in rental properties as it is part of their obligation to provide tenants with a safe and habitable living environment. Image by Pixabay

In her post, the landlord listed several issues, such as a faulty roller door, a loose doorknob, and an uncooperative plumbing system, dismissing them as minor concerns that didn't require immediate attention.

The landlord, who also owns another home aside from the rental property, felt that the list of repairs was too much for just a short period since the tenants had moved in.

She asked, 'My question is should I just suck it up and continue fixing these minor things? or should I start to say they just need to deal with it?'

She went on to add, ‘Each time, I approve the repairs and the maintenance is racking up! In my own home I live with all the above minor issues and just get on with it.’

One issue is with a sliding door that doesn't lock unless forcefully closed, while another problem is that one of the stove lighters has stopped working.

'I just feel like my tenants forget I'm not a multi-millionaire. What are your thoughts?' she asked.

To her surprise, people responded unsympathetically. They advised the woman to address the property issues or consider exiting the real estate business.

One commented, 'If you can't afford maintenance on your rental property, then you can't afford to be a landlord. It's actually that simple.'

Another user responded, 'As a tenant, I hate continuously asking for repairs as I feel like a burden, but then I remember this is the ONE benefit of renting. If something is broken, it's the landlord's obligation to fix it. It is all part of the property investment gig.'

View attachment 25598
Neglecting necessary repairs can lead to dissatisfaction and potential legal issues. Image by Pixabay

One said, 'A leaking tap could increase their water bill, a dead battery in a roller door means they can't use the door... a door that won't lock unless forced is not acceptable, what if they used force and then broke the door. Would you blame the tenant... be a good landlord and fix the issues.’

A second added, ‘These are very reasonable requests especially if they've just moved in, don't forget yes you're giving them a place to live BUT they are paying you to pay off the mortgage the least you could do is fix minor repairs.’

The woman explained that she chose not to increase the rent because her goal was simply to cover her mortgage payments, rather than becoming a real estate tycoon.

One user expressed the opinion that refraining from exploiting the housing shortage and increasing the rent for profit shouldn't be seen as deserving of special recognition, as investments always involve some level of risk.

Key Takeaways

• A Sydney landlord has been criticised online after complaining about constant, 'minor' repair requests from her tenants.
  • People responded by saying that if she can't afford maintenance on her rental property then she shouldn't be a landlord and that it is her obligation to keep the property in good condition.
  • The landlord tried to argue that she is not exploiting the housing shortage by raising rent but was told that investments carry risk and she should perhaps raise the rent to cover maintenance costs.

The main takeaway from this is that whether you are a landlord or a tenant, it is essential to have discussions about the condition of the property during the rental agreement process.

Members, what do you think about the landlord's frustration with repair requests from tenants? Do you believe it is the landlord's responsibility to fix any and all broken items in the rental property? Share your thoughts with us!

Of course it’s her problem we pay high rents and it’s not up to us to fork out for repairs! What a horrible person and yes she should not be in real estate get out!👎

Yes, should get the repairs done. You just have to. It is often difficult as a landlord - there are so many unseen costs that you have no idea of when you are renting. A landlord is fortunate if they actually get half of the rent collected over the year. Increasing quarterly Strata fees. Sinking fund for maintenance, quarterly Council rates, Water bills, yearly pest inspections/treatments, smoke alarm yearly compliance inspections, Real estate management fees and of course repairs & some repairs are big expenses. I’m sure many landlords just sell up & pay the capital gains tax (all the neg gearing actually returns to the gov in this tax) especially on a modest rental property. Trouble is whilst someone else might buy it & live in it, others might rent it out with ever increasing mortgages to pay due to the price that the property sold at and up goes the rent. Madness - we do need more accommodation options for people. Would be great if lots of public housing could be built at almost cost and sold at a lower affordable price so even those on social security could pay it off. Then they would be responsible for all the above costs but at least they can work towards owning their place and have the pets they would like.

View attachment 25597

View attachment 25598

Key Takeaways

Bit of a tricky one this. Years ago I owned a townhouse on the Gold Coast. I never once received a full month's rent from the agent because there were things that needed constant repairs. I accepted everything at face value for a year and then threw my hands in the air when I was being charged $50 to change a light bulb. I could have done it myself except I lived in Sydney. I queried the agent (a well known chain) but couldn't get to the bottom of the issue. Didn't know if the tenant was a nightmare or the agent had a rort going with the handyman and was submitting fake invoices. In the end I gave up and sold the unit.

View attachment 25597

View attachment 25598

Key Takeaways

Put it in writing and if they don't want to repair it so be it, provided it doesn't cause a safety or hazardous situation. Then at the end of the lease, there can be no comeback.

View attachment 25597

View attachment 25598

Key Takeaways

She's responsible for the safety of her tenants. A faulty roller door, another door that won't lock without force.... does she not watch the news? Should the tenants suffer a home invasion her liability will far outstrip the cost of minor repairs

We used to own a rental property. Was many years ago, well before the latest rental increases.
One of our golden rules was to get things fixed immediately. It's a good way of maintaining the property and avoiding major issues down the track. Makes a difference if you get to the stage of wanting to sell. Nothing to fix. It worked well for us.
Always have photos of the property before new tenants move in, ask for the tenant do do their own photos, and, get a decent real estate agency. Read the contract. We insisted on the usual inspections and if something was found, got it fixed.
I am a little perplexed at the changing of a light globe. In my time, that was definitely the responsibility of the tenant. That comes down to checking charges and who does what before signing with the agent.
I do not agree with the woman who makes light of the tenants issues. It's a false economy. I also agree with the comment that if you cant afford to fix things, you shouldn't be a landlord.
Different ball game now. I would not want to be out there looking for a rental now. It's so very sad to see our young starters struggling just to find a decent, clean place to live. Very sad.

View attachment 25597

View attachment 25598

Key Takeaways

Fix the problems it's your obligation your the one making money from the tenant they have rights too stop being a tight arse simple

Reactions: Littleboy8
"the landlord listed several issues, such as a faulty roller door, a loose doorknob, and an uncooperative plumbing system, dismissing them as minor concerns that didn't require immediate attention"

What a jerk! Tenants are entitled to expect to live in a house in good repair. That includes doors that work and don't compromise access and security, and decent plumbing in working order. Unless there is just cause to believe that the tenants are causing the problems due to misuse, then of course the landlord or landlady should take care of these things - promptly! Otherwise, if they are not prepared to treat tenants decently, they should sell the property.

Get over yourself lady, your property, your problems to have repaired…you have a duty of care to your tenants. If you cannot afford to have the repairs done then you should not be a landlord.
Maybe it is time for you to sell the property and stop whingeing!!

Reactions: Littleboy8
We used to own a rental property. Was many years ago, well before the latest rental increases.
One of our golden rules was to get things fixed immediately. It's a good way of maintaining the property and avoiding major issues down the track. Makes a difference if you get to the stage of wanting to sell. Nothing to fix. It worked well for us.
Always have photos of the property before new tenants move in, ask for the tenant do do their own photos, and, get a decent real estate agency. Read the contract. We insisted on the usual inspections and if something was found, got it fixed.
I am a little perplexed at the changing of a light globe. In my time, that was definitely the responsibility of the tenant. That comes down to checking charges and who does what before signing with the agent.
I do not agree with the woman who makes light of the tenants issues. It's a false economy. I also agree with the comment that if you cant afford to fix things, you shouldn't be a landlord.
Different ball game now. I would not want to be out there looking for a rental now. It's so very sad to see our young starters struggling just to find a decent, clean place to live. Very sad.
I’m surprised my estate agent sends someone round every 12 months to change my smoke detector battery for me!but extremely grateful because I’m on a wheelie walker and can’t get on a ladder😁didn’t have a rate rise for four years then when I did it was only $10 a week extra. I even got a thank you card and movie tickets from the owners for being such a good tenant👍How lucky am I! Hope it lasts I’d hate to have to move at my age😱

Bit of a tricky one this. Years ago I owned a townhouse on the Gold Coast. I never once received a full month's rent from the agent because there were things that needed constant repairs. I accepted everything at face value for a year and then threw my hands in the air when I was being charged $50 to change a light bulb. I could have done it myself except I lived in Sydney. I queried the agent (a well known chain) but couldn't get to the bottom of the issue. Didn't know if the tenant was a nightmare or the agent had a rort going with the handyman and was submitting fake invoices. In the end I gave up and sold the unit.
I had a tenant who alway had issues about a thorny bush that needed trimming as it was a danger at each inspection I made a private appointment with her. The bush in Large pot was not hers or mine it had been put there between me moving out and her moving in. The handy man who trimmed the bush, was married to the receptionist who called me for consent to have the work done.

• Wow
Reactions: SandyM

View attachment 25597

View attachment 25598

Key Takeaways

Those complaints should totally be fixed asap. When we had a investment property, at one time i had a tenant who asked for a maintenance person to replace a light globe.

I believe it is the Landlord's responsibility to fix the problems. I agree with the comments that a leaking tap would increase the water bill and a roller door that can't be closed is an invitation to burglars. What's more the constant dripping of the water tap could cause the bathroom basin to discolour and who knows, eventually, it might just cause a hole and the water basin would need a replacement!

View attachment 25597

View attachment 25598

Key Takeaways

I agree wholeheartedly with all the people who commented about the owners responsibilities but at the same time tenants need to do thorough in their inspection before signing anything.

View attachment 25597

View attachment 25598

Key Takeaways

These repair requests for minor repairs should have all been done before the tenants moved in then the constant requests would not have become an issue... get them done and go thru the whole house with the tenant and you might find them to be very good tenants in the long run.

My dishwasher broke 8 years ago agent sent a repair man around who reported it needed replacing.8 years on and still no dishwasher.I ask agent from time to time and the answer is always.....SORRY BUT YOU CAN'T GET BLOOD OUT OF A STONE.☹

I have been a landlord & always had repair issues dealt with promptly. Damage depreciates the value of your investment as well as causing angst to tenants. Just get it done. If you can't afford the repairs, either add the cost to the mortgage or sell up.

View attachment 25597

View attachment 25598

Key Takeaways

Reactions: MariaG