Outlaw no more! This 79-year-old can now legally use her favourite mode of transportation

When it comes to getting around, Lea always thought she’d have to be a bit of an 'outlaw'. That’s because her preferred mode of transport has always been her trusty e-scooter…

That is until the Victorian state government made the decision to make e-scooters legal on the state’s roads on April 5th this year, making Lea an ‘outlaw’ no more!

Lea Weaver, a 79-year-old Melbourne native, said she’s glad she no longer needs to avoid the police when riding her e-scooter around town.

‘It is a relief to know that I'm not actually breaking the law anymore. It just made sense to have that law change – everybody was using scooters anyway,’ she shared.

Last year, the inner-city councils for Melbourne, Yarra and Port Philip and the regional city of Ballarat started an e-scooter trial with the Victorian government. It was originally expected to end in February 2023.

But deliberation was extended so the Department of Transport and other agencies could collect and finalise the data they needed.

scooter1.jpg
Riding e-scooters on Victorian roads was previously illegal. Credit: Hubistavern/Unsplash

Roads and Road Safety Minister Melissa Horne said the trials had been an ‘enormous success’ at the time.

‘In Ballarat, there have been more than 200,000 short trips that have been taken during the course of this trial, and predominantly they've been used for economic purposes, like to get to the shops, to get to a venue,’ she said.

Ms Horne also stated that extending the trial was an important step in recognising how the vehicles were being used and in developing new road rules to accommodate the users.

‘We know that there are more than 100,000 private e-scooters out there on the network, so being able to look at how they're being used and get the appropriate regulatory settings in place over the next six months,’ Ms Horne explained.

Until recently, riding private e-scooters on Victorian roads was illegal. Now, private e-scooters have been allowed on Victorian roads with a speed limit of 60 kilometres per hour (km/hr) or less starting April 5.

Riders must also be at least 16 years old and be able to comply with road rules, such as wearing a helmet and sticking to the same blood alcohol content and drug use restrictions as other vehicle drivers.

The current value of a penalty unit in Victoria is $184.92.

scooter2.jpg
Private e-scooters can now be used on Victorian roads, provided they retain a speed limit of 60 km/hr. Credit: Flickr

For Ms Weaver, an e-scooter was the solution to her mobility issues.

About 10 years ago, she developed a medical condition that impacted her feet and made it painful to walk.

‘I was suffering from plantar fasciitis, and it just seemed an ideal way to get around. I thought an e-scooter would just be so cool, and it was, indeed, better than a wheelchair,’ she revealed.

Because of her experience, she is now encouraging more people her age to consider using e-scooters to travel short distances, especially if they find it difficult to walk.

Not only does she believe they are convenient, but also (relatively) safe, fun to use, and non-polluting (compared to cars).

‘It would be lovely if more people used scooters to get around and we were able to have a city more like Amsterdam,’ she said before adding that she felt ‘very safe’ on scooters.

‘They’re very close to the ground. You can just step on and step off,’ she explained.

Despite that, Mark Putland, Director of Emergency at the Royal Melbourne Hospital, said they were seeing 40-50 significant injuries a month involving e-scooters.

‘Every single day…We see people with nasty, life-changing injuries on e-scooters at the moment,’ he told reporters.

‘It doesn't look like they [e-scooters] are going away … we need to think hard about how we make these things safe,’ he continued.

Dr Putland mentioned that risky behaviours, such as riding e-scooters when inebriated, overfatigued, or on drugs, and riding without helmets or with two people on a scooter, were the main causes of accidents.

He said the solution ‘can’t all be enforcement’.

‘We need to build a culture of sensible behaviour and accountability within the community of people using the things,’ he concluded.

E-scooter Penalties in Victoria.jpg
Here are the penalties applicable to e-scooters. Image credit: The Seniors Discount Club

According to the Victorian government, safety risks increase ‘significantly’ when riders do not follow road rules.

‘We recognise that there are safety concerns associated with e-scooter use and have taken steps to regulate e-scooter use in order to improve safety outcomes for e-scooter users and for those who interact with them on the transport network,’ they stated.
Key Takeaways

• Lea Weaver, 79, is glad she no longer has to avoid the police while riding her e-scooter around Melbourne due to a recent law change.
  • Private e-scooters with a speed limit of 60km/hr or less have been allowed on Victorian roads since April 5 for a state government trial.
  • Ms Weaver encourages more people her age to consider using e-scooters for short distances, especially if walking is difficult.
  • The Director of Emergency at the Royal Melbourne Hospital said they were seeing 40-50 significant injuries a month involving e-scooters, emphasising the need for safety and responsible behaviour.
Do you use an e-scooter or would you consider it? What do you think about this road rule being lifted? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored
When it comes to getting around, Lea always thought she’d have to be a bit of an 'outlaw'. That’s because her preferred mode of transport has always been her trusty e-scooter…

That is until the Victorian state government made the decision to make e-scooters legal on the state’s roads on April 5th this year, making Lea an ‘outlaw’ no more!

Lea Weaver, a 79-year-old Melbourne native, said she’s glad she no longer needs to avoid the police when riding her e-scooter around town.

‘It is a relief to know that I'm not actually breaking the law anymore. It just made sense to have that law change – everybody was using scooters anyway,’ she shared.

Last year, the inner-city councils for Melbourne, Yarra and Port Philip and the regional city of Ballarat started an e-scooter trial with the Victorian government. It was originally expected to end in February 2023.

But deliberation was extended so the Department of Transport and other agencies could collect and finalise the data they needed.

View attachment 17358
Riding e-scooters on Victorian roads was previously illegal. Credit: Hubistavern/Unsplash

Roads and Road Safety Minister Melissa Horne said the trials had been an ‘enormous success’ at the time.

‘In Ballarat, there have been more than 200,000 short trips that have been taken during the course of this trial, and predominantly they've been used for economic purposes, like to get to the shops, to get to a venue,’ she said.

Ms Horne also stated that extending the trial was an important step in recognising how the vehicles were being used and in developing new road rules to accommodate the users.

‘We know that there are more than 100,000 private e-scooters out there on the network, so being able to look at how they're being used and get the appropriate regulatory settings in place over the next six months,’ Ms Horne explained.

Until recently, riding private e-scooters on Victorian roads was illegal. Now, private e-scooters have been allowed on Victorian roads with a speed limit of 60 kilometres per hour (km/hr) or less starting April 5.

Riders must also be at least 16 years old and be able to comply with road rules, such as wearing a helmet and sticking to the same blood alcohol content and drug use restrictions as other vehicle drivers.

View attachment 17359
Private e-scooters can now be used on Victorian roads, provided they retain a speed limit of 60 km/hr. Credit: Flickr

About 10 years ago, she developed a medical condition that impacted her feet and made it painful to walk.

‘I was suffering from plantar fasciitis, and it just seemed an ideal way to get around. I thought an e-scooter would just be so cool, and it was, indeed, better than a wheelchair,’ she revealed.

Because of her experience, she is now encouraging more people her age to consider using e-scooters to travel short distances, especially if they find it difficult to walk.

Not only does she believe they are convenient, but also (relatively) safe, fun to use, and non-polluting (compared to cars).

‘It would be lovely if more people used scooters to get around and we were able to have a city more like Amsterdam,’ she said before adding that she felt ‘very safe’ on scooters.

‘They’re very close to the ground. You can just step on and step off,’ she explained.

Despite that, Mark Putland, Director of Emergency at the Royal Melbourne Hospital, said they were seeing 40-50 significant injuries a month involving e-scooters.

‘Every single day…We see people with nasty, life-changing injuries on e-scooters at the moment,’ he told reporters.

‘It doesn't look like they [e-scooters] are going away … we need to think hard about how we make these things safe,’ he continued.

Dr Putland mentioned that risky behaviours, such as riding e-scooters when inebriated, overfatigued, or on drugs, and riding without helmets or with two people on a scooter, were the main causes of accidents.

‘We need to build a culture of sensible behaviour and accountability within the community of people using the things,’ he concluded.

View attachment 17360
Here are the penalties applicable to e-scooters. Image credit: The Seniors Discount Club

According to the Victorian government, safety risks increase ‘significantly’ when riders do not follow road rules.

‘We recognise that there are safety concerns associated with e-scooter use and have taken steps to regulate e-scooter use in order to improve safety outcomes for e-scooter users and for those who interact with them on the transport network,’ they stated.
Key Takeaways

• Lea Weaver, 79, is glad she no longer has to avoid the police while riding her e-scooter around Melbourne due to a recent law change.
  • Private e-scooters with a speed limit of 60km/hr or less have been allowed on Victorian roads since April 5 for a state government trial.
  • Ms Weaver encourages more people her age to consider using e-scooters for short distances, especially if walking is difficult.
  • The Director of Emergency at the Royal Melbourne Hospital said they were seeing 40-50 significant injuries a month involving e-scooters, emphasising the need for safety and responsible behaviour.
Do you use an e-scooter or would you consider it? What do you think about this road rule being lifted? Share your thoughts in the comments!

I would like to use one of these scooters. I have a small foldable mobility scooter but it is very rough to ride on anything other than bitumen! We bought e-bikes 3 years ago & at the time I could not buy an e scooter as they were illegal. I find too many lazy younger people are using them & they are a danger & a menace on the road & footpaths 60 kph is way too fast. I have no idea what I should use if I now buy one of these it will not look like a mobility scooter & people will not know the reason I use one. Maybe if I could get a sticker to put on it to say why I use it may help.

View attachment 17358

View attachment 17359

View attachment 17360

Key Takeaways

I would LOVE an e scooter. Living in a rural village with no bus connection to either nearby town i can go on the train and use it to get around. It would save $100 a week in petrol.

In the bigger cities , I think it is too dangerous to ride one of these e-scooters , there are too many mostly young people using them and go through red lights and crossing the road , you can not hear them coming , there have been too many accidents. Would be OK on a wide bike/footpath out of town with good proper rules .

If I rode an E scooter I'd wear long sleeves, long pants and enclosed shoes to minimise skin damage in the event of a fall.
My husband had a motorbike and wouldn't let me ride it wearing a short sleeved Tshirt.

Reactions: Ezzy and Marj53

View attachment 17358

View attachment 17359

View attachment 17360

Key Takeaways

That's all and good if you can afford to buy one. I can't justify spending my cash on hiring one as that is money that I need to use for food and bills, so thank you very much but I'll keep on walking.

Reactions: Marj53

View attachment 17358

View attachment 17359

View attachment 17360

Key Takeaways

E scooters should be banned, let alone letting pensioners riding one. Never heard of anything so stupid comeing from a pensioner mouth. The woman needs a pshyc evaluation. I would laugh, but this is a serious statment. I think.

Would never entertain the idea of an E scooter, give me my Scooter every time. 60 kph on an E scooter is definitely too fast.

The fact a reported 40- 50 injuries a month should be enough to convince any authority E scooters are too dangerous to condone. Equate 40-50 incidents if you will over a 12 month period & this equates to 480-600 injuries per year, more than the total road toll for vehicles for any one state.

Let commonsense prevail! Here in W.A. we recently saw a fatal accident when a young person was knocked off an E scooter.