Orange cake

This is a very, very old recipe from my mother's handwritten recipe book. The butter was in ounces, so converted it to grams ... that's why it's an odd amount.
It was an easy recipe to use up any oranges in the winter season.

113 gr butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 orange, juiced
1 cup S/R flour

Beat butter and sugar together. Mix in eggs and orange juice. Fold in flour.

I bake mine in a lined loaf pan. 160 degrees (FF) for 45 minutes.

Ice with 150gr icing mixture, stir in orange juice to make it thick.

1688600795713.jpeg

Sponsored
An old favourite, and cake and icing can also have finely grated orange zest added for extra flavour. Thank you for sharing.
Yes, it would be nice too. This cake does have an orange flavour. The size of the orange does vary of course lol

Yes, it would be nice too. This cake does have an orange flavour. The size of the orange does vary of course lol
So roughly what amount of orange juice should I use. I’ve never been very good with cakes (not even packet ones!). My daughter could cook the same packet cake mix as I did and hers would rise double the size of mine!! I’m trying a few different foods now since there are only two of us (the other one here with a very sweet tooth).

Reactions: Marj53
So roughly what amount of orange juice should I use. I’ve never been very good with cakes (not even packet ones!). My daughter could cook the same packet cake mix as I did and hers would rise double the size of mine!! I’m trying a few different foods now since there are only two of us (the other one here with a very sweet tooth).
She is using the juice of 1 orange , usually it's about 1/3 a cup

All the juice of a whole navel orange. I always use a cake tester, as the cooking time may vary. The loaf tin I use is a Wiltshire loaf pan I bought from Coles. Size is 21x13x6cm. Hope this helps.

Orange cake has to be one if my favourite cakes as well as lemon.

My grandmother had a very similar recipe but would grate the rind and add . You get more flavour by adding it
Yes, I asked my mother about the zest. She said orange cakes in those days usually didn't contain them, whereas lemon cakes did. Of course, it doesn't matter if you want to add the zest to it. However, that's the beauty of cakes. I like the simplicity of this recipe.

Thank you all for your answers. I will try one day (wish me luck with it rising!) and I’ll include the zest.
All the juice of a whole navel orange. I always use a cake tester, as the cooking time may vary. The loaf tin I use is a Wiltshire loaf pan I bought from Coles. Size is 21x13x6cm. Hope this helps.
I’ll be trying. Thanks Penny4.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I make a delicious orange cake where you also blend a whole orange including the rind into the mix. Easy and delicious.
It's sounds delish as well.
My recipe is from my grandmother's friend who was older than her, and was passed down from her great-grandmother. So, it's a very old recipe, not modern. I have quite a few nice modern recipes for cakes that don't need to beat the sugar and butter. So much easier as well.

Last edited:
I couldn't sleep so made this cake I just added the grated rind as well for more orange flavour.