Optus is stepping in to protect Aussies from call scams. Here’s how

We know how scary and confusing it can be when it comes to protecting ourselves from fraud and scams.

That's why we wanted to inform you about a new technology unveiled by Optus that promises to intercept calls to phone numbers associated with suspicious activities.

The 'Call Stop' system has been created to target 'call back' scams specifically. These are usually the ones when you've received an email or text out of the blue saying your bank account (or something similar) is in danger and to call a particular number in order to sort it out.

From this week, when an Optus customer tries to make that call, they will be quickly diverted to a warning voice message, which says:

'The number you have called has been reported as being used for scam activities. For information, please visit optus.com.au/CallStop.'

shutterstock_1517832422 (1).jpg
The new service is only available for Optus customers. Image Credit: Shutterstock

At this point, the call is blocked, and customers don't need to take any further action.

This system was developed in collaboration with the Australian Financial Crimes Exchange (AFCX) and Australian banks. The Vice President of Regulatory and Public Affairs at Optus, Andrew Sheridan, is confident that it will be extremely successful in protecting customers.

'Call Stop is our latest weapon in this battle,' he said.

Members, if you're ever suspicious of a text or email claiming to be from your bank, remember that banks never contact their customers asking for individual financial details.

If you receive such a message, the best thing you can do is delete it immediately and no longer interact with them. Furthermore, make sure you don't click on any links or use any contact details provided in the message.

Key Takeaways
  • Optus has introduced a new system, 'Call Stop', to protect its customers from known scamming activities.
  • If a customer tries to ring a number associated with a scam, the call will be diverted to a warning voice message and then blocked.
  • Optus have developed this new technology in collaboration with the Australian Financial Crimes Exchange (AFCX) and Australian banks.
  • Optus highlights the importance of not clicking on any URLs or using contact details provided in scam texts.

shutterstock_2068242047 (1).jpg
Optus has taken a new step to protect its customers from scammers. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Understanding ‘call back’ scams

If you've never experienced a 'call back' scam before, we are here to fill you in so you can be better prepared and safeguard yourself.

Typically, in a 'call back' scam, the fraudster will ring once and then disconnect the call, thereby leaving you with a missed call. The trick here is that your curiosity will get the better of you, and you'll call back. Now, this might seem innocent enough, but beware because these are not your every day missed calls.

When you call back on these numbers, you might be unwittingly subscribing to some premium services, or it could lead to a connection with an expensive pay-per-call number. You're essentially paying money to a scammer every time you call back. It's a trick that's as cunning as it is unfriendly.

Moreover, these scam calls often seem to be coming from a local number, fostering trust and encouraging the victim to call back. But these international numbers are often masked as local. Scammers have become increasingly sophisticated and adept at making these scams seem genuine.

So, dear members, it is crucial to remember not to return calls you don’t recognise. If it's genuinely important, they'll most certainly leave a message. And that’s where Optus’s 'Call Stop' system becomes a real game-changer, catching these scammers before you even have the chance to call them back.

The world can be a tricky place, but with smart precautions and the right tools in place, we can certainly stay one step ahead of these crafty swindlers. With technology like Optus's 'Call Stop' system leading the charge, we can now navigate the digital landscape with a little more peace of mind.

Are you still feeling worried? We keep our Scam Watch forum as up-to-date as possible so you can read up on the latest scams. We also encourage members to share any they come across to help keep the community safe.

You might also like to read up on how to avoid falling prey to bank impersonation text scams. You can read more here.

Stay safe out there!

Have you ever come across a ‘call back’ scam? Let us know how you handled it in the comments section.

Sponsored
Doesn't it work only if Optus KNOWS that the number originated from a scammer? These bastards are smart enough to show an entirely new, false, number set up expressly to do the same thing next time, or their computers send out hundreds of thousands of the same message in the almost certain knowledge that they'll catch somebody.
How many times have you been contacted by somebody claiming to be (let's say) "Mrs Haleema Singh, or somebody called Mr Josiah Febedah, from the West Nigerian branch of the United Nations Financial Department" with the good news that, out of the whole world, you're the only one due to receive US$20 million or more in undistributed funds from a long-lost relative?

• Love
Reactions: Big G
Doesn't it work only if Optus KNOWS that the number originated from a scammer? These bastards are smart enough to show an entirely new, false, number set up expressly to do the same thing next time, or their computers send out hundreds of thousands of the same message in the almost certain knowledge that they'll catch somebody.
How many times have you been contacted by somebody claiming to be (let's say) "Mrs Haleema Singh, or somebody called Mr Josiah Febedah, from the West Nigerian branch of the United Nations Financial Department" with the good news that, out of the whole world, you're the only one due to receive US$20 million or more in undistributed funds from a long-lost relative?
Great to see someone actually use the correct term for these so called humans, “Bastards” 😀

Reactions: Gsr and Zemo
I received on average 2 suspect calls per day. I do not answer any call unless the callers name appears on my screen. I have a voicemail recording advising the caller that the reason I haven't answered the call may be because I don't recognize the number and I invite them to leave a message. It usually works. If I am expecting a call I usually try to add the number to my contact list, which may include several entries of people or business I don't know personally but at least if they have reason to call me, I know I can answer.
If an unknown caller fails to leave a message from a mobile, overseas or interstate number, I usually block the number and if confident report it as spam.

Reactions: Big G and Gsr
I’ve never received a call of this nature! If I don’t recognise the number I don’t pick up.

I occasionally get calls from unknown numbers. There is NO WAY I will answer if the number is not in my contacts list. Always advising my husband to do likewise because he is the very curious type, and it can land him in trouble he doesn't want.

Reactions: Gsr
Now we just need the tech companies to put measures in place to stop scammers from being able to email or phone people in the first place. How hard can it be?

I received on average 2 suspect calls per day. I do not answer any call unless the callers name appears on my screen. I have a voicemail recording advising the caller that the reason I haven't answered the call may be because I don't recognize the number and I invite them to leave a message. It usually works. If I am expecting a call I usually try to add the number to my contact list, which may include several entries of people or business I don't know personally but at least if they have reason to call me, I know I can answer.
If an unknown caller fails to leave a message from a mobile, overseas or interstate number, I usually block the number and if confident report it as spam.
GOOD IDEA