Optus announces price hike in mobile plans

As we all know, staying connected in today's world is not just a luxury, it's a necessity. For many Australians over 60, mobile phones are a lifeline to family, friends, and emergency services. That's why any change in the cost of our mobile plans can be a significant concern.

Recently, Optus customers have been facing just such a change, with the company announcing an increase in plan prices starting this week.

The telco giant has overhauled its pricing structure for new customers, resulting in some plans costing up to $13 more. Additionally, the number of available plans has been reduced from four to three.

This change, which came into effect on May 27, thankfully won't impact existing customers, but it's something to be mindful of if you're considering switching to Optus or changing your current plan.

shutterstock_2289362803.jpg
Optus has revised its plan pricing, causing some plans to increase in cost by up to $13. Image source: Shutterstock

Under the new pricing model, the smallest plan has been bumped from 30GB a month for $49 to 50GB a month for $52.

While this does represent a price increase, it's important to note that customers will also be getting an additional 20GB of data.

On the flip side, the largest plan has actually become cheaper. It now offers 360GB for $82, down from the previous $89.

The previous middle-tier options of 100GB for $59 and 22GB for $69 have been replaced by a single medium option of 180GB for $62.

When we break down the cost per gigabyte, the cheapest option has gone from $0.25 to $0.23, and the most expensive from $1.63 to $1.04 under the new model.

This suggests that while prices have increased, the value per gigabyte has improved.

For those who will subscribe to larger plans, there's a silver lining: a $20 SubHub credit is now included, which could offset some of the cost increase.

Additionally, customers will continue to enjoy unlimited talk and text nationally, as well as unlimited calls to 35 international destinations.

Optus has justified the price hike by pointing to their ongoing investment in network improvements, including enhancing the capacity, speed, and reliability of their 4G service and expanding their 5G network.

'Due to the increasing costs to maintain and provide a great network experience, we’ve made the difficult decision to increase the price of some of our mobile plans,' Optus stated.

‘Balancing the affordability of our products with the need for ongoing investment is a delicate task and we are acutely aware of this challenge, especially considering the vital role connectivity plays in our lives,’ they added.

For our members, this news serves as a reminder to regularly review your mobile plans and ensure you're getting the best value for your needs.

If you're an existing Optus customer, you're in the clear for now, but it's worth keeping an eye on any future changes that might affect your bill.

And if you're shopping around for a new plan, consider not only the monthly cost but also the data allowance and any additional benefits that come with it.

Late last year, Optus experienced one of the largest outages in Australian history, affecting 10 million customers, including hospitals, businesses and transport networks.
Key Takeaways
  • Optus revised its pricing for new customers signing up, with some plans seeing an increase of up to $13.
  • The price increase won’t affect existing customers.
  • The new pricing model offers better value per gigabyte than the previous model, with the cheapest option now $0.23 per gigabyte.
  • Optus stated that the price changes are due to the increasing costs to maintain and enhance network quality, including the rollout of their 5G network.
Have you been affected by the recent changes in mobile plan pricing, or do you have any tips for getting the best deal on your mobile plan? Share your experiences and advice in the comments below!

Sponsored
What is the use of extra gigabytes, not everybody requires extra.
You're being made to pay extra for something you didn't request and don't necessarily want.
I only pay $18/month with Amaysim and never use all my gigabytes.

You know who ends up paying for these corporations' gross negligence, massive profits with directors bonuses and shareholders dividends. Us.

Reactions: Rob44
Optus are useless. They don't know their heads from their asses and couldn't organise a root in a brothel.
Their agents are stupid they can't understand one word of English half of them sound like scammers, they probably breached themselves last time and they have the audacity to raise prices.

Reactions: oldsalt
What is the use of extra gigabytes, not everybody requires extra.
You're being made to pay extra for something you didn't request and don't necessarily want.
I only pay $18/month with Amaysim and never use all my gigabytes.
We go for the yearly Amaysim for $89-$109 and has 60-80 gig. We only use about 30 for whole the year. And they keep giving bonus data.
The extra gigs is wasted but the cost over the year is great as we were paying $75 per month.

A couple of years ago Telco's worldwide only made $36 million billion. I suspect this is the reason for the price hike. And we complain about Coles and WW price gouging.

Optus are useless. They don't know their heads from their asses and couldn't organise a root in a brothel.
Their agents are stupid they can't understand one word of English half of them sound like scammers, they probably breached themselves last time and they have the audacity to raise prices.
I'm with OPTUS and every time I have had to contact them about billing/services etc I have NEVER got an ENGLISH speaking person on the end of the line. I find it difficult to understand what they are saying in broken ENGLISH. It is about time we had service centres in Australian manned by AUSTRALIAN [English] people.

I'm with OPTUS and every time I have had to contact them about billing/services etc I have NEVER got an ENGLISH speaking person on the end of the line. I find it difficult to understand what they are saying in broken ENGLISH. It is about time we had service centres in Australian manned by AUSTRALIAN [English] people.
Well it's been over a 18 months and we have had no access to our email account as we can't log in for some reason. They keep sending me text telling me they have emailed and I have not replied go figure

At least with Optus you have somebody at the other end of the line, even if you can't understand them. Vodafone seem to have closed all their lines. If their / your internet is down you can't contact them at all